Is anyone worried?

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
Redpoppy

Is anyone worried?

Post by Redpoppy »

Now that the bird flu has hit the East cost of UK......is anyone worried?

Will you stop eating turkey and chicken?

Do you think you have been given enough information?
gadget

Is anyone worried?

Post by gadget »

A little!

It's a bit disconcerting when the news reports are saying 'There is a possibilty that Bird Flu can jump to humans. But only through direct contact!'

How do you know which birds have the virus and which don't?

I won't stop eating chicken or turkey though. Always make sure they are properly cooked.
gadget

Is anyone worried?

Post by gadget »

Redpoppy;540585 wrote: Now that the bird flu has hit the East cost of UK......is anyone worried?

NO!
Galbally

Is anyone worried?

Post by Galbally »

Good lord no, though I might get some extra beechams! No seriously you can't get flu from eating birds, its transmitted via the germs in the lungs, like other flu's, but if you work with poultry then you want to get a vaccine shot alright. And if there is an outbreak and the virus becomes readily transmissible between humans, then eating chicken or not won't make any difference. I remember when the BSC Mad Cow thing was going on, I was in England and it was great cause beef and steak cost so little, so us being science students we had a look to see if it was safe, then we went out and bought loads of it! Yummy!
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Bill Sikes

Is anyone worried?

Post by Bill Sikes »

Redpoppy;540585 wrote: Now that the bird flu has hit the East cost of UK......is anyone worried?

a) Not particularly.

b) That's ridiculous, there's no reason to. Perhaps a hysterical reaction by the

general populace will reduce prices, however it'll hurt small producers, the

better but more vulnerable ones, badly.

c) Yes.
Marie5656

Is anyone worried?

Post by Marie5656 »

I am not even from your country, and I am quite concerned. Because it could happen here just as easily. I am watching the events in this matter closely.

Would I stop eating poultry? If it moved over here, I would consider it.
Bill Sikes

Is anyone worried?

Post by Bill Sikes »

Marie5656;540629 wrote: [B

Would I stop eating poultry? If it moved over here, I would consider it.

Why?
Marie5656

Is anyone worried?

Post by Marie5656 »

Bill Sikes;540638 wrote: Why?

Fair question, Bill. I think I would stop till I was reasonably sure I would not become ill from eating the poultry. Sure, it seems all mesures are being taken to contain the outbreak. But the panic driven worrier in me would still be slightly concerned.

I think my moratorium on eating it would not be permanent..just temporary, though.
crazygal

Is anyone worried?

Post by crazygal »

Nope I don't like Turkey anyway, I only eat it at Christmas but I won't be giving up Chicken unless Lamb starts costing the same. ;)
crazygal

Is anyone worried?

Post by crazygal »

Huge difference so not worried about it.
tedhutchinson

Is anyone worried?

Post by tedhutchinson »

jesse b;541465 wrote: world wide bird flu has killed136 people 166 actually

Still not many but let's try and keep up to date.

Tropism of avian influenza A (H5N1) in the upper and lower respiratory tract. is rather disturbing as it shows that in fact the impression given by the press that the virus has to make a further mutation before being transmittable to humans is in fact bullshit and no further genetic mutation is needed.

Epidemic Influenza And Vitamin D

The Antibiotic Vitamin Deficiency in vitamin D may predispose people to infection

The Vitamin D council for links to cheap providers and further information about Stoss therapy.

It may or may not be the answer, but it is very cheap and will, if you don't get avian flu and die, have other beneficial impacts on your health as detailed in the research papers linked to on the Vitamin D council website. Cuts down your chance of getting the ordinary type of flu also so a small (£8.50 per person per winter) price to pay.

There is no doubt that anyone giving up chicken or other poultry is totally bonkers. You only get the virus from the bird feces so you would need to dry out the undrawn carcass then sniff it deeply all over. If you just wash you turkey/chicken before you cook it then there is simply no chance of getting infected. The cooking will kill the virus. The most likely way it will get into your house is via your cat. They can catch/eat sickly birds. The virus can develop in their lungs & digestive system, so a cat on your lap will breathe virus onto you, a cat litter tray will contain cat sh!t infected with virus as it dries out it is theoretically possible the person emptying the litter tray could get a whiff of virus.
SlipStream

Is anyone worried?

Post by SlipStream »

much 2 late 4 me 2 be concerned bout such things!
pinkchick

Is anyone worried?

Post by pinkchick »

SlipStream;607594 wrote: much 2 late 4 me 2 be concerned bout such things!

How so...??
Very nearly perfect ... :D
SlipStream

Is anyone worried?

Post by SlipStream »

I's realy ill
pinkchick

Is anyone worried?

Post by pinkchick »

SlipStream;607615 wrote: I's realy ill
What??
Very nearly perfect ... :D