Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

A forum to discuss local issues in Scotland.
buttercup

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by buttercup »

Are you still around lizard lips?
Galbally

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by Galbally »

Only one scottish and one irish what? Posters, I thought that there were a couple O'scots, but it seems I am kinda keeping the irish end up by myself at the moment, though jenny swan was around for a little while earlier.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
buttercup

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by buttercup »

hi galbally, i think when this thread first started there was only 1 scot & 1 irish, quite a few of us now :D
abbey

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by abbey »

buttercup wrote: hi galbally, i think when this thread first started there was only 1 scot & 1 irish, quite a few of us now :DHiya Butters, long time no see. :-4
Galbally

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by Galbally »

buttercup wrote: hi galbally, i think when this thread first started there was only 1 scot & 1 irish, quite a few of us now :D

Yeah you are right, but I think at the moment I'm a bit on me own, lots of nice scots though!
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Musiclover89

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by Musiclover89 »

Wow never knew their was so many Scottish peeps here :guitarist i'm from Clydebank damm boring place that is
"Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars. Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, 'I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight', people would say, 'Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a damn word that comes out of his mouth.' " Michael Jackson
ChristinaAguilera_FANatic

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by ChristinaAguilera_FANatic »

My name is Anne and I am from Scotland, Glasgow to be exact :):guitarist
buttercup

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by buttercup »

Which part of Glasgow ? its a big city. We have a few members from there.

Im up in the north east, about 20 miles north of Aberdeen, blink & you miss it kinda place ;)
randall

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by randall »

:-6

So buttercup, you also live in BUCHAN. I am a wee bit to the northeast of you.

When I was doing the "Offshore Survival Course" at Gorden's Tech, Aberdeen (I believe that I am the oldest person ever to have taken that course. Macho-ism?).

A foreign laddie asked one lad if he was German because he had a German sounding name.

He wondered at the bicker of laughter that ran around the changing room.

Buchan, said another, man your standing on it.

The poor young lad looked confused, no wonder with all the blethering in Doric that was going on around him.

Another said, you see, our ancestors were so lazy at thinking up names that they just called themselves after the land they were living on.Now we are surrounded by Polish, Czech (since World War II) Russian, Lithuanian, Estonian etc. surnames, all speaking broad Doric.(With an accent.)

All this makes it a more incomprehensible language than even Arnold Layne called it last year.

A few years ago an American Anthropologist came to the North East to study it and its people.

She reported that some 4,000 years ago Buchan was invaded by the "Beaker People" from Friesland and, owing to the lack of succeeding mass migrations the blood line has remained relatively pure ever since - until now?.

Which, in my opinion, may account for the relatively high number of blood conditions amongst the inhabitants today.

My wife had been with me on a voyage on the MV "BAUNTON" and we paid off at Vlissingen (Flushing) in Holland, almost at midnight and all we could do was to depend on the taxi driver to take us to a decent hotel for the night.

He did. It was beautiful family owned and run hotel although we could not appreciate its beauty until the next day in daylight. Very traditional.

As we entered and walked towards the small reception desk the lady behind it looked up and smiled and then rattled off a long sentence in Dutch.

We explained that were not Dutch but from Scotland.

"Of course you are," she insisted. "From your faces alone I would know that your are from the Friesland Islands."

PROOF?

This in turn has made Aberdeen Royal Infirmary at Forresterhill have probably the foremost haematology department in Europe if not the world. Almost all of my family and relatives suffered from various disorders - sadly, many fatal.

And the name of Professor Douglas and Dr Audry D. Dawson is familiar to almost everyone in the area.

Old Dr Steward, well remembered in the Boddam - Cruden Bay area was giving me a medical for an insurance company. After he had finished and looking at my family history he told me a story.

When he was a young medical student at Aberdeen University the was a Dr Thomson (I think)........I forget the name now and again..... who fought very, very hard to have a haematology department at the hospital.

Dr Steward said that all the young students used to say that Dr Thomson knew everything there was to know about blood but bloody little about anything else.!

God bless you, glad to know you're around and may I give you a belated welcome.

randall

:)
buttercup

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by buttercup »

Randall, far ye bin loon, lang time nae spik :-4

I thought you'd left, glad to see your still around :D

ARI or doctors are not my fav topic of conversation at the moment tho hunni, in fact ive a few swear words i'd like to direct at them. See this thread http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=28239
randall

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by randall »

Dear Yellow Buttercup,

You are nearly right. I was nearly not around at Christmas and, once again, those same doctors pulled me back and gave me a good telling aff.

It jist isnae yer time gang awa galavantin. So sit doon there and behave yersel.

My steam, triple expansion computer is jist nae itsel aether.

Fit on earth is "Runtime Errors" ?

Ave been haeing a anfa lot o them the noo. Is the PC naeweel tae?

Fit tae di ye mean.?

Ahve got fauive on aether fit.?

There's an afa lot of them aroon tae.

Ate a blink o an eey the colours ging a sqeegee and drap fae twaanthirty tae only acht.

Am aye haeing tae wind em up again everytime.

Umpteen times am haeing blackoots bit they aye come aroon themslves.

Could it be that a them electrons they're aye spikin aboot is geeing it a sair belly?

A doot a'll hae tae get some gripe watter for it oot oh the chemist.

Ony buddy aroon heen a sicht of Arnold Layne????

Ah haynay seen him in a lang while.

Anither thing that buthers me a lot is that this page canna be looket at tho that only happens wi Microsoft.

God bless abody

randall

:) :) :)
chrisb84uk

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by chrisb84uk »

Hiya randall haven't seen you in a while, good to see you back!

As for Arnold, no he sadly doesn't come on much lately, at least not to my knowledge.
buttercup

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by buttercup »

Acht Randall ya daftie, ye need windies twa thoosan :rolleyes: Click doon it at funny line alo is een

http://www.firstfoot.com/Tartan%20Trivia/windaes.htm

BIG TIP

If you make a typing error, use the backspace to replace the "wrang yin" ~ Note: Tippex® is hard to clean off the monitor !

Er ya go big man
randall

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by randall »

Er's aye thing clear yi ken an afa lot mair aboot computers than I dae!

Foo's are yer sair bits coming on?

Ah hope theyr getting better.

Mi wife has heen a richt ahrd time wi ARI our x-rays.

There docters here couldn't agree on fit they could see on the first twa x-rays and so they sent her tae Aiberdeen tae he a scan bit first they took anither x-ray.

Ess time ah sa for misel the photes. That thing they ca the diaphragm didne gin straicht across bit hid a jump of an inch or twa in the middle.

It looks a if her left lung is shorter than the richt.

She's a worried woman. Pester the lot o them wi phone calls a the time because they still hanae telt her fits rang.

Are ye askin me tae change fae XP tae 2000?

God bless ye.

randall.

buttercup

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by buttercup »

Naw, stick tae xp, jist pullin yir leg. At's a richt scunner wi the x-rays. Cum in by fur a blether nixt time yir doon, doors aye open :-4
randall

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by randall »

Thanks for the invite Buttercup,

I may yet take you up on that as we used to use BUCHAN VETS for Toby but were - in our opinion - overcharged for no results.

We went to the Castle vets and within a few days saw a great improvement so there he stays and is treated by them regularly.- its a lot cheaper too.

Hope this find you all well NOW - are you able to play the piano yet?

God Bless.

randall.

buttercup

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by buttercup »

Fraid no, back intae ARI morn fur mair x-rays n see how ma hons are gittin on, geez a pm next time yer doon n a'll gie ye directions tae the hoose :-4
randall

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by randall »

Dear Buttercup,

The computer is back - John ...... - says he cannot find anything wrong with it but hinted that the monitor may be on its way out. I can't complain as I got it free from his boss - it was either that or dump it - it is so small I keep a verrrry large magnifying glass nearby.

Helen got a big relief this week and took a half a years step backward.

The ARI after much time and research actually found a very old X-Ray of her abdomen and it is exactly the same as it is today so there's nothing to worry about - except loose a wee bit oh weight.

She is back as she was several months ago because she visited the new house of our neighbour - the only one - who moved from our street out to St Fergus and she didn't bother telling her that her husband was very ill too.

So, without any real resistance to any infection after all those winter months Helen promptly went down in a big way/ Back on Steroid, Antibiotics and the lot once again.

I think that the computer is now much faster once again but it could be wishful thinking.

I notice, that there is always a note on who is watching a page and it is usually one or more members and sometimes dozens of viewers.

What professional talents and skills do these unknown quantities possess.

They could be mighty handy for answering questions we don't like to ask those we know or neighbours,

What-d-ya-think??????

God Bless And Keep You All

randall

buttercup

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by buttercup »

Randall :-4

pm Spot or Koan for all the pc question technical stuff, they shine at that ;)

Ive got a spare pc sitting here thats yours if the one you presently use packs in.
randall

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by randall »

To Buttercup and one and all,

My computer gave up the ghost a few weeks ago and then having been ill more or less constantly since last November my wife, Helen, four days out of bed fell against a garden seat cast iron arm rest and broke two ribs and bruiseda couple more.

We two have had a wonderful year but at least we didn't miss any good weather.

I received a newly built computer ATX tower built by a friend for easy payments and it should last me to the end of my days D.V.

After a couple of weeks in Woodend Hospital my wife got home last Friday and is now able to get up and hobble around for an hour or two each day.

Me, well, with all those visitors visiting the sick am constantly making pots of tea and setting out trays with fancy biscuits - THAT - PLUS TELEPHONE calls nearly drive you mad at times.

No doubt I will survive as well too.

Hope you are all keeping well and happy.

God Bless

randall

buttercup

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by buttercup »

Nice to hear from you hun, was wondering how you were getting on. Am pleased you got fixed up with a pc, if you need a scanner or printer ive spare one's here, just let me know.

How's Helen coping recovering? I know poor Andy was about demented doing things just the way i like them done :wah:

God bless you both, stay in touch :-4
gmc

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by gmc »

randall;687709 wrote: :-6

To Buttercup and one and all,

My computer gave up the ghost a few weeks ago and then having been ill more or less constantly since last November my wife, Helen, four days out of bed fell against a garden seat cast iron arm rest and broke two ribs and bruiseda couple more.

We two have had a wonderful year but at least we didn't miss any good weather.

I received a newly built computer ATX tower built by a friend for easy payments and it should last me to the end of my days D.V.

After a couple of weeks in Woodend Hospital my wife got home last Friday and is now able to get up and hobble around for an hour or two each day.

Me, well, with all those visitors visiting the sick am constantly making pots of tea and setting out trays with fancy biscuits - THAT - PLUS TELEPHONE calls nearly drive you mad at times.

No doubt I will survive as well too.

Hope you are all keeping well and happy.

God Bless

randall

Glad to see you back.
randall

Only 1 Scottish 1 Irish

Post by randall »

Thanks for asking buttercup.

Helen is coming along as well as can be expected, I suppose that is the right phrase because she needs a walking stick to help her but insists on doing far too much and then complains about the pain it causes.

My neighbour has the same complaint about her workaholic husband and sympathises with me saying, "We will never be able to stop them so you had just let her be."

I haven't had much time to come up to the PC as usually I am hardly settled in the chair when the doorbell rings with more visitors to see my wife. That should improve from now on, I think?

Thanks also for the offer of a scanner but I am sad to say that owing to a quirk of fate that is the one thing I have too much of. Three in fact which I can't even give away.

This was caused mainly by so many changes in connections and the fact that the last time I needed a printer the only one in the shop was a combination affair of scanner, copier and printer. Turned out to be very handy too - and cheaper than many solitary printers.

I also have a "Pin Head Printer" if that is what you call them - out of date now I believe.

I am told that the are handy if you are a crook as the police cannot trace a letter or note printed by them to any particular machine.

Am I encouraging a lawless society??????

Maybe it is the effect of "King Geordie's Hotel" across the road. I hear we are are going to be given a brand new one for a' the felons in the northeast.

I really get annoyed at seeing so much new stuff thrown into the recycling containers.

One day I saw three almost new bicycles of different sizes thrown in - some family changing their mode of transport I suppose.

The "Blythewood Trust" lorry came to collect ours some time ago and said that he had picked up fifteen in one afternoon that day.

They are very useful for those in jungle areas as I have seen cycle tracks going in all directions in the Malaysian jungle.

The Viet Cong certainly made full use of them in their disagreement with the USA.

Who was it that said recently that everyone was offering them money???

In two day I have received two long e-mails purporting to be from people who say that they working an a diamond depository in Accra, Ghana and an employee of the Hang Seng Bank in Hong Kong - which I knew fairly well as I had to pass it every day to go to work for fourteen years.

Both "letters" were inviting me to become a criminal by posing as a relative of a family or person which had been wiped out and had left a large deposit in either the bank or the depository.

One of them, from Hong Kong, gives his name as Patrick Chan which coincidentally was the real name of our dentist out there. I always referred to him as the Sino Hibernian jokingly.

The other from Accra gives his name as James Mkwana but give a womans e-mail address.

Is this a recent innovation to get information out of us??????

Not to mention that it is inviting us to become criminals. I am sure Interpol would be happy to chase us if we obliged.

I hope everyone is keeping well, happy and active.

God Bless All

randall

Return to “Scotland”