Changing Careers

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
koan

Changing Careers

Post by koan »

Many people change careers a few times in their life. It can have the effect of changing one's identity. Have you switched careers or know someone that made a drastic change? The business world seems to thrive on contract work instead of long term employees. Is it possible to really have career stability in today's world?
SuzyB

Changing Careers

Post by SuzyB »

Hi Koan,

As most of you know I was working as a beautician from home, until my back went, I have recently just gone back into the office so it is totally different. I find it very stressful working for someone, I worry if i'm going to be late, if I make a mistake, if they don't like me, the list is endless. I have never been used to stability as such, as clients come and go.

I am not sure if I will even stick this job yet, I am still booking people for beauty work to keep my fingers in the pie, so to speak.
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

Imladris

Changing Careers

Post by Imladris »

Funny really but I have never had what I consider to be a career more a series of jobs, I'm just not that driven. But I started my working life in a bank, left that when I got married and have since - helped hubby run a hardware shop, been a partner with him in a funeral directors, run a tearoom and am now a florist.

Of all the jobs I have done the closest to a career is the funeral directing - it requires more committment and dedication than any (without blowing my trumpet here).

Personally I have found it easier than I thought to change direction and would happily do it again but as I have said - I'm just not that driven regarding work.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Red

Changing Careers

Post by Red »

Ive had a lot of different jobs, my first job was working in a factory, nursing assistant in a private home, looking after adults with learning difficulties, room attendant at a hotel, and finally shop manager.

All quite varied jobs but none that changed my identity i dont think, im glad ive done a few different things i do get bored easily and would probably go mad stuck in the same thing too long.
weeder

Changing Careers

Post by weeder »

My career has changed directions a number of times, but the changes have always been related to the same field. Floriculture and Horticulture have been my area of expertise. I started as an apprentice more than 30 years ago... worked for other shop owners... freelanced... eventually had my own business, and then a larger business. I now have nothing. Despite being frightened, I still do not feel that there is much career stability left in todays world. Much better to face the fear of being unemployed, develope independant means to make a living, and not live in bondage to an employer. At 55 years of age, I have discovered something totally different that I would like to do. I would like to become a bereavement counselor. Unfortunately, having embraced the gypsy life style that I have for all these years.... I am not able financially to stop working, and go to school.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
koan

Changing Careers

Post by koan »

It actually quite amazes me how many ways there are to earn a living. The key ingredient to success seems to be liking what you do.

I've lived on the edge being a contractor my entire career life, which has seen drastic changes.
cars

Changing Careers

Post by cars »

koan;559515 wrote: Many people change careers a few times in their life. It can have the effect of changing one's identity. Have you switched careers or know someone that made a drastic change? The business world seems to thrive on contract work instead of long term employees. Is it possible to really have career stability in today's world?

Interesting question.

As for as long term employees aspect, I believe that condition is becoming more & more a thing of the past. Many of the companies here in USA in an effort to compete with their overseas competitors are, using increased "Contract Personnel" instead of hiring additional regular company employees when a spike in their business occurs. And also now many companies are "Outsourcing" millions of dollars of work to overseas companies! Therefore causing reduction in work forces here. So it seems the younger workers here really do not have as much "career stability" as there once was several years ago. There seems to be not as much "loyalty" between workers & employers these days due to the circumstances at hand.

As far as drastic changes to one's identity go, I believe there is no greater drastic change, than going from successful worker, to being "retired"! One day you're a successful dept mgr with a high esteemed professional persona, and you walk into a meeting & all eyes are on you hanging on your every word, and the next day, you take early retirement. And walla, instantly you're a nobody in the overall grand scheme of things! Just a ordinary JOE BLOW public! Sometimes out & out overall "freedom" can be a little overwhelming, even when financially comfortable, if left unchecked.
Cars :)
K.Snyder

Changing Careers

Post by K.Snyder »

I think theres a wide variety of options...Obviously depending on ones competence level and intelligence...

I mean you have, Commercial services, Commercial office, Manufacturing, Hi tech industry, healthcare, public safety(Police -Fireman), Military...

I think it's only left to ones optimism and preference really...

Economically allowing of course.
weeder

Changing Careers

Post by weeder »

Kathy Ellen;560296 wrote: Hi Weeder,

Life takes very unexpected turns for us, doesn't it??? One day you're financially sound and the next, you're not. Can you take some sort of a computer "on-line" course or a course at a local vocational college at night. Sometimes if you go to a local college and ask to speak with a guidance counselo, they may hook you up with some great ideas. Do you think that might work?

Good luck and don't give up:-4

Kathy, I have just begun to explore my options. I am surprided myself that after all these years, I lost my enthusiasm for a field I loved so much. I dont have much to show financially for living the life Ive led.... but I am still proud of myself as I raised two sons on what I earned, by myself.... and without selling out ( only my viewpoint ) to the corporate world. I did it flying by the seat of my pants and having the courage to always fight for pay equal to any mans. I wouldnt trade the experiences Ive had as a self employed person for all the material posessions in the world. I just have to figure out where to go from here:confused: Thanks for the support
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
laneybug

Changing Careers

Post by laneybug »

koan;559515 wrote: Many people change careers a few times in their life. It can have the effect of changing one's identity. Have you switched careers or know someone that made a drastic change? The business world seems to thrive on contract work instead of long term employees. Is it possible to really have career stability in today's world?

Unless you're entirely devoted to your work and it's a huge part of who you are, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that changing a career is like changing your identity. That seems to be a stretch. Usually, at most, it's like changing where you live.

As for career stability. Where I work there are women who've been there for 30+ years. I'd say that's stability for ya! It all depends on what kind of work you're in and the demand for that particular job.
It is better to have your mind opened by wonder

than closed by belief.
scarface_mtl

Changing Careers

Post by scarface_mtl »

I'm considering a career change, it would be related to most of my past work and it is in the hi-tech industry (interactive entertainment software development a.k.a. Video games).

I've moved across the country and found that I enjoy change - I like new challenges, meeting new people, seeing new areas of the world so in my case change as a positive thing. The major con has been leaving family and friends behind (we do our best to visit, call and write but it's just not the same).

Some of these have been mentioned before - passion, hard work, good attitude and wanting to always learn is all I ever needed.

I'm actually considering a move to the US from Canada... a big move but why not... life is short and there is so much of the world to see and experience.
SpiderSam

Changing Careers

Post by SpiderSam »

I have no changed my career yet. Mind you never really had one. I had my first baby a couple of months after finishing my college course in Leisure Management which is what I wanted to do. Now though I am doing Open University courses in Health and Social Care and hoping over the next couple of years to get into University to do a Midwifery course. That's my goal in life at the mo.
Nomad

Changing Careers

Post by Nomad »

scarface_mtl;639151 wrote: I'm considering a career change, it would be related to most of my past work and it is in the hi-tech industry (interactive entertainment software development a.k.a. Video games).

I've moved across the country and found that I enjoy change - I like new challenges, meeting new people, seeing new areas of the world so in my case change as a positive thing. The major con has been leaving family and friends behind (we do our best to visit, call and write but it's just not the same).

Some of these have been mentioned before - passion, hard work, good attitude and wanting to always learn is all I ever needed.

I'm actually considering a move to the US from Canada... a big move but why not... life is short and there is so much of the world to see and experience.

Griffin International

100 N 6th St

Minneapolis, MN 55403

(612) 344-4700

griffinintl.com
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Work Employment”