Abuse of Children In Ireland

A forum to discuss local issues in Ireland.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Thoughout the 1930s to 1970s, the Roman Catholic Church in Ireland consistently opposed all plans for educational or recreational facilities for children that were not under their control. They blocked the introduction of adoption legislation and preferred to keep the care of children unregulated unless only Church rules were applied.

Children were cheep in Ireland too, until very recently. Many countless stories that would take volumes to print on the horrific plight of the children of Ireland during those years.Many religious run institutions by Christian brothers, nuns and lay people have been before Irish courts charged with rape and beatings of both boys and girls as young as 10 years old.

Irishmen and Irishwomen from Australia, Canada, UK, New Zealand and the United States are coming home to Ireland in their hundreds and thousands legal claims now set at 600m euros. www.rirb.ie/ www.paddydoyle.com
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

capt_buzzard wrote: Thoughout the 1940s to 1970s/ 80s the Roman Catholic Church in Ireland consistently opposed all plans for educational or recreational facilities for children that were not under their control. They blocked the introduction of adoption legislation and preferred to keep the care of children unregulated unless only Church rules were applied.

Children were cheep in Ireland too, until very recently. Many countless stories that would take volumes to print on the horrific plight of the children of Ireland during those years.Many religious run institutions by Christian brothers, nuns and lay people have been before Irish courts charged with rape and beatings of both boys and girls as young as 10 years old.

Irishmen and Irishwomen from Australia, Canada, UK, New Zealand and the United States are coming home to Ireland in their hundreds and thousands and legal battles are to cost the Irish State to the tune of 600m euro. www.rirb.ie/ www.paddydoyle.com
A group ''Let Our Voices Emerge'', is protesting against false claims against the religious orders in Ireland. www.factuk.org.
abbey

Post by abbey »

capt_buzzard wrote: A group ''Let Our Voices Emerge'', is protesting against false claims against the religious orders in Ireland. www.factuk.org.Seems this group are fanatical Paul.

How on earth can they deny that these awful things took place when so many people are coming forward telling their stories??

SHAME ON THEM. :yh_shame
mominiowa

Post by mominiowa »

Interesting reading Capt..

My outlook on all of this is a sad one..I know many chidlren who are now adults that were "touched" by a priest that was in our parish from 1984-1987..Never did any parents come forward..My friends brother asked his parents if he could stop being in Boy Scouts, and Wed. Night CCD~ they thought he was being disrespectful. He told them what had happened..they were told by his OWN grandmother that they would be asked to leave the parish if this got out..GOT OUT? First of all - I beleive that if these things were taken care of by the generations before us..our church, would not be suffering finacially - also - if the Catholic Church, would have dismissed and charged these men of the cloth, then they would not have the burden of $$$$ right now.. Everytime the kids come home with a paper that says they need to send $$ to this or to that..(they attend a Catholic School) - I say -NO..I pay 2400$ a year for ones education - that is plenty..I refuse to pay for the priests sins..If that makes me a hypocrit - then so be it...I feel for these goverments, churchs, and families, that are going through finacial disfunction..But in order to file a law suit - then you must also heal yourself emtionally..Church and State do not belong together - UNLESS it is to prosecute and put away the trash..that needs it... :-5

JMO...Gets you thinking Capt. B!! Thanks..

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

mominiowa wrote: Interesting reading Capt..

My outlook on all of this is a sad one..I know many chidlren who are now adults that were "touched" by a priest that was in our parish from 1984-1987..Never did any parents come forward..My friends brother asked his parents if he could stop being in Boy Scouts, and Wed. Night CCD~ they thought he was being disrespectful. He told them what had happened..they were told by his OWN grandmother that they would be asked to leave the parish if this got out..GOT OUT? First of all - I beleive that if these things were taken care of by the generations before us..our church, would not be suffering finacially - also - if the Catholic Church, would have dismissed and charged these men of the cloth, then they would not have the burden of $$$$ right now.. Everytime the kids come home with a paper that says they need to send $$ to this or to that..(they attend a Catholic School) - I say -NO..I pay 2400$ a year for ones education - that is plenty..I refuse to pay for the priests sins..If that makes me a hypocrit - then so be it...I feel for these goverments, churchs, and families, that are going through finacial disfunction..But in order to file a law suit - then you must also heal yourself emtionally..Church and State do not belong together - UNLESS it is to prosecute and put away the trash..that needs it... :-5

JMO...Gets you thinking Capt. B!! Thanks..Yes. But I do have to state that I have many catholic priests and nuns here in Ireland that were just good and wonderful people. But, they upset many by keeping quite.
gmc

Post by gmc »

I'm not a catholic. But if these priests went to confession presumably they confessed what they were doing to somebody. What is a priest supposed to do in thse circumstances? Should they (the one being confessed to) not take action to protect the innocent i.e' the children? This isn't a sin like adultery or something between adults, one of the parties is clearly completely innocent and at the mercy of another. How can you possibly justify doing nothing about it.

Same with michael Jackson's staff, if they knew anything was going on-if there was, then surely they are accessories to a crime by doing nothing
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

gmc wrote: I'm not a catholic. But if these priests went to confession presumably they confessed what they were doing to somebody. What is a priest supposed to do in thse circumstances? Should they (the one being confessed to) not take action to protect the innocent i.e' the children? This isn't a sin like adultery or something between adults, one of the parties is clearly completely innocent and at the mercy of another. How can you possibly justify doing nothing about it.

Same with michael Jackson's staff, if they knew anything was going on-if there was, then surely they are accessories to a crime by doing nothingCount yourself lucky mate
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Bez

Post by Bez »

Hi Buzz...good to see you and happy birthday.

I remember seeing a film some time ago about children (orphans) that were sent to Australia via the 'church' to work and find new families after the war. Brothers and sisters were seperated and some were not even orphaned...some were abused by those that were supposed to be their guardians....quite a scandal when it came to light and a heartbreaking story.

Who knows what the outcome of all this will be.....someone had better start saving some pennies !
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home

Return to “Ireland”