Frozen Niagara Falls- 1911

Traditional or digital! Share your photos. Do you view the world a little differently through a lens? Let's discuss photos that you find interesting or worthy of discussion.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Attached files
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Thats really cool! When I was a child we went to Niagara and back then you could go right under the falls and get really close. You can still do that now, but just can't as close anymore. We went again last winter, there were major parts frozen but nothing like this. Thats great.:-6
littlemissgiggle

Post by littlemissgiggle »

thats really pretty,

thanks for showing :cool:
abbey

Post by abbey »

RedGlitter;701674 wrote: ....
No way cheekychops!
minks

Post by minks »

I dunno that has to be pretty dam cold for all that rushing water to freeze not sure I believe it.....

:wah:

I spose it depends if that is the Canada side or the USA side ok ok I know canada side is niagara and the USA side is what ... horseshoe falls, or no... heck I forget.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

minks;701780 wrote: I dunno that has to be pretty dam cold for all that rushing water to freeze not sure I believe it.....

:wah:

I spose it depends if that is the Canada side or the USA side ok ok I know canada side is niagara and the USA side is what ... horseshoe falls, or no... heck I forget.

That picture is of Niagara Canadian side. I've seen it pretty frozen but not that much.
Wilger

Post by Wilger »

That is really beautiful photo. I grew up in Buffalo and used to go to visit the Falls most Summers--- I really wish I went when there during a winter when there was an ice bridge between the two cataracts--- it doesn't happen every year----

BTW did you know that the Falls ran dry in March of 1848 because of an ice jam? Both the American and Canadian sides? For a day people were able to walk in the gorge collecting arrowheads and the like.

Thanks for sharing.:)
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Question:

Was Niagara always half US and half Canada? How was it decided? Something in the back of my mind, tells me there was a war over this. :-3

History never was my best subject. :)
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Wilger;701787 wrote: That is really beautiful photo. I grew up in Buffalo and used to go to visit the Falls most Summers--- I really wish I went when there during a winter when there was an ice bridge between the two cataracts--- it doesn't happen every year----

BTW did you know that the Falls ran dry in March of 1848 because of an ice jam? Both the American and Canadian sides? For a day people were able to walk in the gorge collecting arrowheads and the like.

Thanks for sharing.:)

Hello Wilger and welcome to FG :-6
minks

Post by minks »

ThePheasant;701792 wrote: Hello Wilger and welcome to FG :-6

hello wilger too

Heck I dunno pheasy? Good question always been split in my life time

― Mae West
Wilger

Post by Wilger »

hi Pheasant--- nice to here.:)
Wilger

Post by Wilger »

hi minks-- this sure is a friendly place.
minks

Post by minks »

Wilger;701805 wrote: hi minks-- this sure is a friendly place.

we do try, I hope you stick around and find some good fun in posting, go on into introductions and create your own new thread for all of us to welcome you.

― Mae West
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Wilger;701803 wrote: hi Pheasant--- nice to here.:)

Hey Wilger, post a thread in the 'intro' section, there are so many great people here and I know they will make you feel really welcome.

By the way, I am from UK, living in USA and lived for a while in Canada - I get about a bit :wah::wah:
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

minks;701806 wrote: we do try, I hope you stick around and find some good fun in posting, go on into introductions and create your own new thread for all of us to welcome you.

:wah:Like what she said :wah: Great minds and all that!
minks

Post by minks »

ThePheasant;701810 wrote: :wah:Like what she said :wah: Great minds and all that!

yup yup between the pheas and I we got a whole brain ahahahaha

ok honestly sorry pheasy I am dying from lack of food here so am getting punchy ahahaha

― Mae West
Wilger

Post by Wilger »

ThePheasant;701790 wrote: Question:

Was Niagara always half US and half Canada? How was it decided? Something in the back of my mind, tells me there was a war over this. :-3

History never was my best subject. :)

Maybe the war of 1812? Most of the action took place over the Niagara River-- there are the remnants of many forts in the area-- I remember my parents taking me to a few when I was a mere ankle biter.

It ended, as all wars, in tears and I believe that the White House was burned.

One good thing-- with the peace Britain and the US were on the road to friendship.
Wilger

Post by Wilger »

okay okay-- great minds do think alike-- I was busying cleaning up my typos :o

intros?
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Wilger;701816 wrote: okay okay-- great minds do think alike-- I was busying cleaning up my typos :o

intros?

On Home page under 'Relaxing in the Garden' there is an 'Introductions' section - go there and post new thread. Then everyone know you are here and will say Hi! :-6

You will have fun here, everyone is so friendly, funny and caring - happy posting.

Well, I'm hitting the sack! Got a full day of CPR training tomorrow, I get to do the kiss of life :D

Night all :-4
Wilger

Post by Wilger »

Nite-- and thanx--- and 5 and 2 5 and 2===Or something like that
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

I could be wrong, but I think that the split between the Canadian side and the American side is based basically on our boarder which was agreed that it would follow the 49th parallel. It just so happens to place the horseshoe falls on the Canadian side.
cars

Post by cars »

Wow that's interesting Red!!! Wonder how COLD it must have been to make it freeze like that? Burrrrrrrrr !!! :)
Cars :)

Return to “Photography More”