And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
grh
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:22 pm

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by grh »

Are you saying you used to eat pig livers?:confused: That's news to me :thinking:

Seriously though, if anything, I would think that what most of us hicks over here enjoy so much about the garden is the foreign contingent. You guys are our ticket to the rest of the world! It's wonderful, from my perspective, at least.:-6
Who are they to protest me? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!

:yh_glasse

rambo
User avatar
CARLA
Posts: 13033
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:00 pm

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by CARLA »

I agree grh the foreign contingent here in the garden are bloody cool. :cool: I for one truly enjoy this forum for just that reason. :-4 Pinky, Pinky, Pinky your one of the coolest people I have come to know on any forum. :-4 We all have lots to learn from each other.

[QUOTE]Seriously though, if anything, I would think that what most of us hicks over here enjoy so much about the garden is the foreign contingent. You guys are our ticket to the rest of the world! It's wonderful, from my perspective, at least.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:36 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by Nomad »

Seriously ! I thought you cleaned your teethes with pigs livers.
I AM AWESOME MAN
User avatar
Hamster
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:31 pm

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by Hamster »

Nomad;754237 wrote: Seriously ! I thought you cleaned your teethes with pigs livers.


You guys can afford teeth in the US?
Challenges are opportunities in work clothes.
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by RedGlitter »

Hamster;754248 wrote: You guys can afford teeth in the US?


:wah: Them's storebought! :rolleyes:
User avatar
Hamster
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:31 pm

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by Hamster »

Seriously though, I do have one friend from the US who wasn't aware we brushed our teeth over here.

No joke.

But I agree we have misconceptions on both sides of the ocean.
Challenges are opportunities in work clothes.
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by RedGlitter »

Hamster;754252 wrote: Seriously though, I do have one friend from the US who wasn't aware we brushed our teeth over here.

No joke.

But I agree we have misconceptions on both sides of the ocean.


That's sad. I have heard the stereotype about bad teeth for a long time. And even though you were kidding about us having teeth, when you see the meth heads or really poor people or just people who don't care over here, I could understand why you might think Americans run around with no teeth.

We could probably make an entire thread of these stereotypes and notions. One that bugs me personally is that Jews are cheap. I'm not Jewish but that one needles me a lot.
weeder
Posts: 3128
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:05 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by weeder »

Ive never heard one comment stating that Britain is backward. With a much larger population here, I dare to say that we have a large, poor, uneducated population. This of course, is a fact our government likes to keep swept under the carpet. With this larger population comes a greater number of people who are narrow minded, bigoted, and misinformed. This country is huge, and opinions and outlooks vary on every subject. From homosexuality, to religion, to conditions in other countries. Since a great number of citizens have never had the opportunity to travel, at all.... observations are made purely out of speculation. And in some cases by gung ho patriots who although they know nothing, will always make comments designed to make the US sound like some kind of superior power. The US is rapidly becoming a country with two classes. Rich and poor. As things stand now, a huge portion of us, cannott even afford to go to a dentist. And in much of rural America, people wear false teeth, or go with no teeth at all. Despite this fact, in the same homes where the residents are toothless, you will always see a huge refrigerator, and often a giant TV. Tvs, refrigerators, CD players, computers and yes Religion are all sedatives to passify the masses, and to sedate them while our government methodically, and deliberately turns us all into robots.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Mia
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:56 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by Mia »

I think the majority of countries have a two class system of rich and poor,it has always been that way. I can never understand,how supposed civilised countries can spend vast ammounts on war, space research etc,when there own people cannot afford to see a dentist,or even have access to free medical treatment.

We are all proud of our own Countries,this is natural. I for one am not proud of British polotics or of the way our society has changed so much since I was a young girl.
weeder
Posts: 3128
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:05 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by weeder »

For a very long time we had a huge middle class. Theses are the people who have been pushed into the poor section. Beaten down by loss of faith in the American Dream and squashed by barely living wages along with corporation take over... The desire and determination to succeed vanished, and a huge percentage of our population do nothing more than focus in on survival.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
weeder
Posts: 3128
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:05 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by weeder »

Well, its good to know that someone doesnt think Im crazy. The time to speak the truth is long overdue. If we Americans dont open our eyes, smell the coffee... band together, and do something about SOMETHING... ANYTHING... its going to be too late. It probably is too late. Apathy has taken over. A huge percentage of the population is medicated, unable to ratonalize, realize, and motivate themselves to take any action at all. The joke of it is.... Once again corporate America at the helm. The PHARMACUTECAL INDUSTRY. You got a boo boo? ANYTHING upsetting you?

You dont understand why you work 80 hours a week, but cant pay the heat bill? WE will give you a pill. Believe me, not many citizens here, have the brains, the interest, or the desire to make dispariging remarks about any other country. They are too busy trying to cope with their own country eating them alive.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
weeder
Posts: 3128
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:05 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by weeder »

rjwould;754323 wrote: You're far from crazy, weeder, but you are an outlaw (meaning you stand outside popular opinion), and most Americans are frightened by outlaws. It is hard for people to understand an outlaw or prophet because their perspective is strange compared to common views. I'm glad to know you are willing to be different and a voice crying in the wilderness. BTW--I'm an outlaw too.:). However, it is somewhat of a lonely existence, but the good news is that those whom know you best love you to an equal degree as those who think you're strange, and that is where your strength lies..... with family...We weirdos are usually wonderfully fun family members.


I have always stood outside popular opinion, on almost everything. I have always enjoyed being different, and encouraged my children to have the courage to stand alone also. I do lead a lonely existence. When I was younger I felt compelled to state my opinions. People were drawn to me, because being with me was a very different experience. Men would rapidly tire of me, as I was never willing to wear a harness, or to keep my mouth shut when I was outraged. I am very selective in the company I keep, and so this doesnt lead to having very much company. I stand by my opinions, however they arent cocky, as I have two grandchildren who have to grow up in this world, and I am frightened and sad for them. In this, the latter stage of my life, I would have the courage to stand with the masses, armed.. not with a weapon... but with my heart and my soul right out in front of me.... and try to change things for people, before it is too late. The only area where you were off target would be my happy family life. I lost patience with many of my family members. I couldnt deal with their lack of loyalty or insight. And I mostly couldnt deal with their lack of interest in other human beings. For a very long time they all found me entertaining, then I think they simply decided I was weird. Pinkys topic prodded me to respond, as I have a very warm spot in my heart for England. I have met wonderful UK friends on this forum. And I always feel compelled to correct myths about how sane Americans feel about other countries. As Ive often said here.... the negativity of politicians is not the voice of the people. And as lethargic as we all seem....... we are outraged at many things that we hear. But there seems to be nothing we can do. Id like to have a radio program. But then, Id probably be assasinated within three months.:wah:
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
User avatar
minks
Posts: 26281
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:58 pm

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by minks »

this is like watching a tennis match... as a Canuck we seem to know a lot about both of your fine nations. I like it.

Pinks I hope you don't let others lack of knowledge get the better of you hun.

And I don't mean that in a mean spirited way to anyone. Think of what all we have learned just being here on FG about each other. I know I have had a few eye openers here in my perceptions of others and believe me I am certain I have wrote some regretable statements in the past.

We are what we are, and generally what others think of us too, so go on grab the rabbit by the tail and take the opportunity to share more about what you are and educate anyone who appears to not know. And if they don't wanna believe ya, or listen to ya then pity to them ;)
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by RedGlitter »

rjwould;754323 wrote: You're far from crazy, weeder, but you are an outlaw (meaning you stand outside popular opinion), and most Americans are frightened by outlaws. It is hard for people to understand an outlaw or prophet because their perspective is strange compared to common views. I'm glad to know you are willing to be different and a voice crying in the wilderness. BTW--I'm an outlaw too.:). However, it is somewhat of a lonely existence, but the good news is that those whom know you best love you to an equal degree as those who think you're strange, and that is where your strength lies..... with family...We weirdos are usually wonderfully fun family members.


Excellently said, RJ. :-6
weeder
Posts: 3128
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:05 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by weeder »

rjwould;754363 wrote: Thanks for the info. You sound like a remarkable person. The family comment only applies to you as in a leadership position. Equal member such as siblings and parents consider us a problem much of the time.


Oh my God... your so right, and so smart. I wish you lived next door. We could talk for a long time. Do you smoke? and DRINK?????:wah:
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
weeder
Posts: 3128
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:05 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by weeder »

Ive quit quitting cigarettes.... for now. My recent experiences with hallucinations from taking Chantix... ( See? I fell prey to the big boys... but only for 8 days) Then I realized they had gotten me to walk right into their trap, because of my weak will power.... But there is nothing like conversation with some meat to it... whilst sipping a couple of great glasses of wine, and for me blowing smoke into the sky. Throw in some laughing that makes your sides hurt, and it is the perfect evening.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38755
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by spot »

Good lord, I grew up on pig liver. Don't knock it until you've tried it.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
grh
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:22 pm

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by grh »

spot;754506 wrote: Good lord, I grew up on pig liver. Don't knock it until you've tried it.


And suddenly, so much -becomes so clear..
Who are they to protest me? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!

:yh_glasse

rambo
weeder
Posts: 3128
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:05 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by weeder »

Get on your knees and thank God.. you are " Behind The Times" If I could get a work visa... Id be over there to live in a minute. Well, except for the lack of sun..... I think that might make me quite unhappy.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
User avatar
along-for-the-ride
Posts: 11732
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:28 pm

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by along-for-the-ride »

This forum is a great oppurtunity to dissuade sterotypes.



Also to get a good laugh now and then...with each other..not at each other.:)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15908
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

weeder;754271 wrote: Ive never heard one comment stating that Britain is backward. With a much larger population here, I dare to say that we have a large, poor, uneducated population. This of course, is a fact our government likes to keep swept under the carpet. With this larger population comes a greater number of people who are narrow minded, bigoted, and misinformed. This country is huge, and opinions and outlooks vary on every subject. From homosexuality, to religion, to conditions in other countries. Since a great number of citizens have never had the opportunity to travel, at all.... observations are made purely out of speculation. And in some cases by gung ho patriots who although they know nothing, will always make comments designed to make the US sound like some kind of superior power. The US is rapidly becoming a country with two classes. Rich and poor. As things stand now, a huge portion of us, cannott even afford to go to a dentist. And in much of rural America, people wear false teeth, or go with no teeth at all. Despite this fact, in the same homes where the residents are toothless, you will always see a huge refrigerator, and often a giant TV. Tvs, refrigerators, CD players, computers and yes Religion are all sedatives to passify the masses, and to sedate them while our government methodically, and deliberately turns us all into robots.


Sadly we hear this frequently from American visitors to our country.



To the extent that, when I visited the US, I was surprised how friendly and helpful the people were.



We all have our misconceptions and FG is a wonderful vehicle to blow them away.
weeder
Posts: 3128
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:05 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by weeder »

Bryn Mawr;754543 wrote: Sadly we hear this frequently from American visitors to our country.



To the extent that, when I visited the US, I was surprised how friendly and helpful the people were.



We all have our misconceptions and FG is a wonderful vehicle to blow them away.


When I work in restaurants ( in winter) you should see the staff tripping over themselves to wait on tables where a British accent is over heard. It is a good indicator of how we Americans feel about the English. Completely enthralled with them, and eager to ask all kinds of questions. These are the real people. These real people are the barometers of public feeling.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
weeder
Posts: 3128
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:05 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by weeder »

People in the south do not find my northern sense of humor funny Jim.

I have a difficult time in my own country. Its all a matter of having the interest in getting to know one another. Many people have spent their lives never trying new FOODS!! I guess these people wouldnt want to try new people either huh??
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
User avatar
Imladris
Posts: 4798
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:29 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by Imladris »

I've found some of my preconceptions of Americans to be completely inaccurate since I joined here so I imagine that it works the other way too.



I don't think we're seen as backwards just different. I think generally us Brits travel abroad more often so we get to see more cultures than Americans do but when you consider the difference in the size of our two countries it's not suprising - after 40 years I still haven't tried everything my country has to offer goodness only knows how long it'd take in the States!!



I like the misconceptions in a way - some of them are quite funny!
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy





Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
weeder
Posts: 3128
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:05 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by weeder »

You are absolutely correct. We do not get to travel the way you do, and we are very envious of that. There are people here who live their entire lives here, never experiencing other cultures. It is a definate deterrent to understanding. We hold many of your universitys in high esteem. And since the gardening craze hit the US 20 years ago....... The English Garden has been the look American gardeners try to emmulate here. Its wonderful.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
gmc
Posts: 13566
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:44 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by gmc »

weeder;754740 wrote: You are absolutely correct. We do not get to travel the way you do, and we are very envious of that. There are people here who live their entire lives here, never experiencing other cultures. It is a definate deterrent to understanding. We hold many of your universitys in high esteem. And since the gardening craze hit the US 20 years ago....... The English Garden has been the look American gardeners try to emmulate here. Its wonderful.


What's stopping you from travelling? On the other hand here are many here who have been abroad often but never travelled in their own country.
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15908
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

weeder;754714 wrote: When I work in restaurants ( in winter) you should see the staff tripping over themselves to wait on tables where a British accent is over heard. It is a good indicator of how we Americans feel about the English. Completely enthralled with them, and eager to ask all kinds of questions. These are the real people. These real people are the barometers of public feeling.


When we visited California a few years back everything was the opposite of expectation. I was overwhelmed by the people - they could not have been more friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. On the other hand I was surprised by the state of the infrastructure - not so grand.
User avatar
Imladris
Posts: 4798
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:29 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by Imladris »

gmc;754761 wrote: What's stopping you from travelling? On the other hand here are many here who have been abroad often but never travelled in their own country.


I find it sad that so many are so ignorant of their own country (I mean us Brits). We have varied and wonderful countries here and yet so many choose to go to fry on a foreign beach, drink huge amounts of alcohol and eat the same food they could get here!
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy





Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
weeder
Posts: 3128
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:05 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by weeder »

Bryn Mawr;754811 wrote: When we visited California a few years back everything was the opposite of expectation. I was overwhelmed by the people - they could not have been more friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. On the other hand I was surprised by the state of the infrastructure - not so grand.


I do travel. It has always been a priority for me. But surely you realize Italy, or Ireland, or Scotland are a lot further away from me, than they are for someone in England. So... we need more money, and more time. Its not as easy. And yes its true... California is one of our more friendly states. There are some states where the people are downright unfriendly. Even to Americans who are from a different state. New York is good. As is Boston, Phoenix, New Mexico. Now mid western and deep southern states with the exception of Florida ( which is really the north, transplanted down south) are a little more cautious with strangers.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
User avatar
abbey
Posts: 15069
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:00 pm

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by abbey »

Maybe it's just a Northern thing, but I eat Lambs liver. :-3
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38755
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by spot »

fuzzy butt;754914 wrote: apparently it tastes a bit like chicken:wah:


That's missionaries, you daft bugger.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15908
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

abbey;754918 wrote: Maybe it's just a Northern thing, but I eat Lambs liver. :-3


Well, they do say the only thing on a pig you don't eat is the squeak.

Nowt wrong with pigs liver - or ox liver come to that.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38755
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;754942 wrote: Nowt wrong with pigs liver - or ox liver come to that.Tongue sandwiches? Eat what? But it's been in somebody else's mouth!
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15908
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;754953 wrote: Tongue sandwiches? Eat what? But it's been in somebody else's mouth!


My keyboard! My screen!

The tongue we cooked for Christmas tea was magnificent - far better than the imitation I've just bought from the supermarket for my supper.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38755
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;754957 wrote: My keyboard! My screen!Filth Hounds of Hades! Take back the Sudetenland, would you?
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
abbey
Posts: 15069
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:00 pm

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by abbey »

I could never bring myself to eat heart.:yh_sick
User avatar
YZGI
Posts: 11518
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:24 am

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by YZGI »

spot;754953 wrote: Tongue sandwiches? Eat what? But it's been in somebody else's mouth!
I don't like to eat anything that can taste me back..
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15908
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;754959 wrote: Filth Hounds of Hades! Take back the Sudetenland, would you?


And you set the Dogs of War onto me to get your own back?

But you signed the bit of paper.
User avatar
theia
Posts: 8243
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:54 pm

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by theia »

When I was young I used to really like tongue. This may sound silly but I didn't realise until years later that it actually was tongue :-5. And I haven't been able to eat it since.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
User avatar
abbey
Posts: 15069
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:00 pm

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by abbey »

theia;754968 wrote: When I was young I used to really like tongue. This may sound silly but I didn't realise until years later that it actually was tongue :-5. And I haven't been able to eat it since.I love tongue!
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38755
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by spot »

Trust you to lower the tone!
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
abbey
Posts: 15069
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:00 pm

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by abbey »

:wah: Just could'nt resist.
User avatar
Kathy Ellen
Posts: 10569
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:04 pm

And we're supposedly backward compared the US?

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I have never in my life thought of the English or anyone from Ireland or other parts of the British Isles as being backwards or standoffish....never. But, I think that's because I travelled to Ireland, Wales and London when I was 19 yrs. old.

I used to get really upset upon my return from Ireland and some friends asked me if the Irish still had pigs in their parlor.:mad: And then again, some Irish and English people asked me wacky questions about us Yanks...like....Is it true that all Americans are rich and eat steak and lobster everynight for dinner? Or, were the street of NY really paved with gold??

The more we travel, the smarter we become about other cultures:-6

Return to “England”