Driver, 18, sentenced for death of classmate

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Do you think this sentencing was enough?

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-b1_ ... 1311.story
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

In one word NO:mad:
FOC THREAD PART 1
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

It was an accident. But the punishment just doesn't seem enough for his carelessness and the loss of a life.
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

in uk at 17 he would have only got 12yrs for pre med murder
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

ThePheasant;773268 wrote: It was an accident. But the punishment just doesn't seem enough for his carelessness and the loss of a life.
There is really no need to ruin another life is there? Hopefull the boy can learn from this and become a productive member of society. If not I am sure he will eventually be caught up in other problems and will be dealt with more harshly because of this accident.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

YZGI;773273 wrote: There is really no need to ruin another life is there? Hopefull the boy can learn from this and become a productive member of society. If not I am sure he will eventually be caught up in other problems and will be dealt with more harshly because of this accident.

I guess. Lets just hope those other problems don't cause another loss of life.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

ThePheasant;773294 wrote: I guess. Lets just hope those other problems don't cause another loss of life.
At least he will have a chance to redeem himself. If he were put into the "system" I doubt he would.
grh

Post by grh »

YZGI;773301 wrote: At least he will have a chance to redeem himself. If he were put into the "system" I doubt he would.

You are being very logical and sensible. Which I might hope for were it my son who did this. However, I would prefer that they him if it had been my daughter that died.:thinking:
Who are they to protest me? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!

:yh_glasse

rambo
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

I agree - I would want to see more than a few pages of "I must not drive like an idiot and kill people","I must not drive like an idiot and kill people","I must not drive like an idiot and kill people","I must not drive like an idiot and kill people","I must not drive like an idiot and kill people" .....................................
suzycreamcheese

Post by suzycreamcheese »

I like some of the ideas of how theyre handling it actually. Punishment shouldnt be about revenge for a family and nothing is going to bring their lovely daughter back, even if they hung drew and quarted the lad who made a bad bad mistake but is totally remorseful and i believe from what ive read that a harsh sentancing wouldnt necessarily be appropriate.

I dont think they should have kept him in the same school though as thats very insensitve
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

suzycreamcheese;773362 wrote: I like some of the ideas of how theyre handling it actually. Punishment shouldnt be about revenge for a family and nothing is going to bring their lovely daughter back, even if they hung drew and quarted the lad who made a bad bad mistake but is totally remorseful and i believe from what ive read that a harsh sentancing wouldnt necessarily be appropriate.

I dint think they should have kept him in the same school though as thats very insensitve
Although it does make him a living breathing example for the rest of the kids and them being close to this catastrophe just hammers the point home for them that know him or her.
drumbunny1

Post by drumbunny1 »

I think it could've been just a litttle more harsh, it was careless and stupid (as most teenagers are), but it was also an accident and he will pay for it one way or another. I hope this has brought him down a little bit and made him think about his own mortality and that of the others around him! I had a boyfriend who died in a car accident when I was 16 years old.....it was definetly the most tragic time of my life.....but it also helped the rest of us (my friends) snap out of our "I'm invincible I can do anything" attitude...we realized we can die! So from my experience I really hope that other kids will learn the same thing...but it always takes one tragic event played out by one idiot!
Mystery

Post by Mystery »

I think the fact that he'll have to live with it will be punishment in and of itself. Have you ever seen "the Kevin tunnell" Story? It's about a young man who was drunk driving and took the life of another. One part of his sentence was to mail one dollar to her family weekly. It was designed to force him to think about what he took away. I won't ruin the rest of what happened, but in reference to this story - it's tragic that this girl died, but it was an accident and this boy will never get over this either.

Return to “General Chit Chat”