Minnesota

A forum to discuss local issues in ND, SD, NE, KS, MN, IA, MO, WI, IL, IN, OH, MI
Nomad

Minnesota

Post by Nomad »

Everythings cool in Minnesota. No worries here.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

Minnesota

Post by Accountable »

What's the history behind the state's name?
Nomad

Minnesota

Post by Nomad »

Accountable wrote: What's the history behind the state's name?

Minnesotans may tell you that Minnesota in Sioux means “10,000 lakes,” and they may attempt to prove it by pointing to the motto on their license plates. Minnesota in Sioux actually means “cloudy water,” an accurate description of the Minnesota River. Another popular etymology of a similar-sounding Indian name has Minnehaha meaning “laughing waters.” It doesn't; it means “waterfalls.” The misinterpretation began around 1849 when European settlers, not unreasonably, assumed that the Siouan –haha was an imitation of laughter just as in English, and hence that minnehaha meant “laughing waters.” The folk etymology caught on and wound up in 1855 as the name of the heroine in Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem The Song of Hiawatha.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Minnesota

Post by Nomad »

flopstock wrote: Hey, did they decide not to bother playing anymore? Didn't see them on the sports news at all...

The Vikings ? They had a bye this week. (Thank God)
I AM AWESOME MAN
rainbowsmiles

Minnesota

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Speaking of Minnehaha falls, I was just there - annnnnd I got a parking ticket :-5
JesseBassett

Minnesota

Post by JesseBassett »

I'm from Minnesota. Ask any questions you have about our beloved state! :-6
Nomad

Minnesota

Post by Nomad »

JesseBassett wrote: I'm from Minnesota. Ask any questions you have about our beloved state! :-6

Do you ever come out to Lake Minnetonka ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Minnesota

Post by Nomad »

rainbowsmiles wrote: Speaking of Minnehaha falls, I was just there - annnnnd I got a parking ticket :-5

Theres a warrant for your arrest. I checked. :D
I AM AWESOME MAN
rainbowsmiles

Minnesota

Post by rainbowsmiles »

^ I missed that before - very funny nomad :wah: I did pay it though... I think :-3

How are all you Minnesotans dealing with the heat? Suffocating yet. I just came home from Bemiji and believe it or not it was 96 up there. I ran north to get cool and the heat followed me :mad:
Nomad

Minnesota

Post by Nomad »

rainbowsmiles wrote: ^ I missed that before - very funny nomad :wah: I did pay it though... I think :-3

How are all you Minnesotans dealing with the heat? Suffocating yet. I just came home from Bemiji and believe it or not it was 96 up there. I ran north to get cool and the heat followed me :mad:

Same as you. :D One foot in front of the other. How are you ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
rainbowsmiles

Minnesota

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I'm doing pretty good Nomad - how have you been?

I see you hit the 9000 mark - congratulations! I'd better get busy if I'm going to catch up. :D
Nomad

Minnesota

Post by Nomad »

rainbowsmiles wrote: I'm doing pretty good Nomad - how have you been?

I see you hit the 9000 mark - congratulations! I'd better get busy if I'm going to catch up. :D

yea well............:rolleyes:

Are you still in B*******ton ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
rainbowsmiles

Minnesota

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Yuppers, still here. Not sure how long though. The bf and I are thinking about moving north - far north. Right now we are drooling over Grand Marais.
Nomad

Minnesota

Post by Nomad »

rainbowsmiles wrote: Yuppers, still here. Not sure how long though. The bf and I are thinking about moving north - far north. Right now we are drooling over Grand Marais.

I was up there a couple of yrs ago its very beautiful but work would be fairly limited I think, still if you could pull it off that would be a hell of a place to live. Good luck with that. Its a damn sight better than Bloomsville !
I AM AWESOME MAN
rainbowsmiles

Minnesota

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I was up there a couple of yrs ago its very beautiful but work would be fairly limited I think, still if you could pull it off that would be a hell of a place to live. Good luck with that. Its a damn sight better than Bloomsville !

Yeah, I inquired about work in the area when I went skiing up there this past winter and it seems summer time is good for basic jobs because of tourism but not much to make a real living at. And winter would definitely be an issue since that is when employment seems to be low :( It really is difficult wanting to live in a country setting but having to find a good job too. The two don't go together :( I just wish I could find a small home with a few acres of land.

BTW/I checked here in my city and 1 acre is 1,000,000.00 :rolleyes:
Nomad

Minnesota

Post by Nomad »

Have you looked at Wisconsin ? Pull it up on google, you can get lakefront property just across the border for a song. Thats probably going to be my move in about 5 yrs.
I AM AWESOME MAN
rainbowsmiles

Minnesota

Post by rainbowsmiles »

No, I haven't checked there - thanks for the advice. I'll do some checking and see what I can find. :)
Nomad

Minnesota

Post by Nomad »

Were more often than not in the nations highest percentile. Im very proud of this.

ACT Scores

Minnesota's average composite score of 22.3 was the highest in the nation among the 25 states in which more than half the college-bound students took the test, in 2006. The results were unchanged from the previous year.
I AM AWESOME MAN
the highlander

Minnesota

Post by the highlander »

i use to live in a small town called deer river

Return to “Mid West”