HIstory of Shaving

A forum to discuss all to do with clothes, fashion, beauty, and cosmetics.
Sheryl

HIstory of Shaving

Post by Sheryl »

The other day while I was shaving my legs, my strange mind started wondering about when it became fashionable for women to shave their legs. So I googled it. Turns out since the time of caveman it has been popular for men and women to remove unwanted hair. Tweezing has always been one of the most popular methods of removing hair. Here's a time line over the history of shaving. I'm glad the fashion is no longer to shave/pluck your forhead and eyebrows out. :-3
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
CARLA

HIstory of Shaving

Post by CARLA »

Interesting history now I want them to invent something that doesn't cost a fortune and will remove hair forever. :wah:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

along-for-the-ride

HIstory of Shaving

Post by along-for-the-ride »

All I know is................Nair smells awful.

PS. Thanks for the article.............very interesting.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Tigerlily

HIstory of Shaving

Post by Tigerlily »

All that plucking out of hair makes my eyes water!
Chezzie

HIstory of Shaving

Post by Chezzie »

Has anyone had the misfortune to try an epilady:lips: OUCH!!!!:D
venus

HIstory of Shaving

Post by venus »

I have recently discoverd threading, ok so it has been around for hundreds of years, not in West London though!

I was nervous when l went in, but l have to say it is ok, not really painful more a little uncomfortable (on the face), lm not sure where else they do it:thinking:

Me lm pretty lucky not too hairy ij the arm and leg department.. but have to say l would rather poke myself in the eye with a rusty nail than use an epilady again!!!!:-1 oweeee
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
Chezzie

HIstory of Shaving

Post by Chezzie »

venus;821107 wrote: I have recently discoverd threading, ok so it has been around for hundreds of years, not in West London though!

I was nervous when l went in, but l have to say it is ok, not really painful more a little uncomfortable (on the face), lm not sure where else they do it:thinking:

Me lm pretty lucky not too hairy ij the arm and leg department.. but have to say l would rather poke myself in the eye with a rusty nail than use an epilady again!!!!:-1 oweeee

I have never heard of threading??? What does that involve? (CAN YOU SAY HERE:D)
Nomad

HIstory of Shaving

Post by Nomad »

For the men :

Have any of you guys ever had an old fashioned barbers shave with the hot towel and straight razor ?

Id recommend it for everyone at least once.
I AM AWESOME MAN
elixer

HIstory of Shaving

Post by elixer »

I've always wondered if in barber shops they used the same razor blade they used to shave faces to also bleed them.

venus;821107 wrote: I have recently discoverd threading, ok so it has been around for hundreds of years, not in West London though!

I have my eyebrows threaded, too. It doesn't leave me all red and swollen like waxing does. As far as I know they only use it for facial hair, I imagine it would take too long to cover larger areas.

Chezzie, they quite literally take a thread, double strand it, and somehow it removes the hair in a perfect line. I believe the practice originates from the Middle East. It really is a great alternative to waxing if you have sensitive skin, and you get the same result. I personally think the lines are cleaner with threading. :-6
Bryn Mawr

HIstory of Shaving

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Nomad;827092 wrote: For the men :

Have any of you guys ever had an old fashioned barbers shave with the hot towel and straight razor ?

Id recommend it for everyone at least once.

Yes, in Istanbul several years ago. The Barber then proceeded to try to rip my head off - did my neck a world of good.

To be recommended.
Nomad

HIstory of Shaving

Post by Nomad »

Bryn Mawr;828100 wrote: Yes, in Istanbul several years ago. The Barber then proceeded to try to rip my head off - did my neck a world of good.

To be recommended.

I dont think theyre supposed to rip your head off.

Maybe he was new.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bryn Mawr

HIstory of Shaving

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Nomad;828189 wrote: I dont think theyre supposed to rip your head off.

Maybe he was new.

It was wonderful - I could feel each vertebrae let go of the one next to it and afterwards I could turn my neck and see right behind myself :-)
Anetta

HIstory of Shaving

Post by Anetta »

Tigerlily;821036 wrote: All that plucking out of hair makes my eyes water!

Me too

Return to “Fashion Clothing”