Poisonous Australia...

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

This is a question that I've had plagued in the back of my mind for quite some time...

I hope no one takes offense to my asking...

I've always been interested in visiting other places and I would like to visit Australia but I do have a few concerns...

First of all I can't stand snakes...I don't have a problem with handling non venomous snakes but when it comes to anything venomous I sincerely don't want to be within 100 feet of them let alone in the same vicinity...

My major question is is it quite common to run into poisonous things in Australia and are there any myths related to which are more serious than others?...Also how do you spend your daily lives without keeping it etched in the back of your mind that you may be "going to the hospital today"?...Or have all of you grown accustomed to being very cautious in everything you do?...

To be completely honest I'm more terrified of having one of my limbs rot off than I am of dieing and I'm only 26...I don't want to die...So that alone must tell you how much I am not partial to anything venomous...

I mean it seems anything I hear associated with Australia the first thing I think of is poison...

And don't even get me started on the King Brown snake...I would need a damn oozie for that SOB...

But just to put things into perspective I believe this link provides information on "the ten most venomous snakes in the world and all of them can be found in Australia"... http://arachnophiliac.info/burrow/tenmostvenomous.htm

So...Australia hopefuls and citizens alike...Please convince me that Australia is well worth visiting...
mrsK

Poisonous Australia...

Post by mrsK »

K.Snyder;901924 wrote: This is a question that I've had plagued in the back of my mind for quite some time...

I hope no one takes offense to my asking...

I've always been interested in visiting other places and I would like to visit Australia but I do have a few concerns...

First of all I can't stand snakes...I don't have a problem with handling non venomous snakes but when it comes to anything venomous I sincerely don't want to be within 100 feet of them let alone in the same vicinity...

My major question is is it quite common to run into poisonous things in Australia and are there any myths related to which are more serious than others?...Also how do you spend your daily lives without keeping it etched in the back of your mind that you may be "going to the hospital today"?...Or have all of you grown accustomed to being very cautious in everything you do?...

To be completely honest I'm more terrified of having one of my limbs rot off than I am of dieing and I'm only 26...I don't want to die...So that alone must tell you how much I am not partial to anything venomous...

I mean it seems anything I hear associated with Australia the first thing I think of is poison...

And don't even get me started on the King Brown snake...I would need a damn oozie for that SOB...

But just to put things into perspective I believe this link provides information on "the ten most venomous snakes in the world and all of them can be found in Australia"... http://arachnophiliac.info/burrow/tenmostvenomous.htm

So...Australia hopefuls and citizens alike...Please convince me that Australia is well worth visiting...

Of course it is worth visiting:-6

I have lived here for more than half a century.

In the outback too.

I have never been bitten by anything worse than sandflies & mossies,bees,and a wasp.

You must have them where you are.?

Come for a visit you will love it.I promise.:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

mrsK;901928 wrote: Of course it is worth visiting:-6

I have lived here for more than half a century.

In the outback too.

I have never been bitten by anything worse than sandflies & mossies,bees,and a wasp.

You must have them where you are.?

Come for a visit you will love it.I promise.:-6

Well to be honest the only creatures we have around here are skunks...:wah:

I'm dead serious...We have nothing poisonous here in Ohio...In very far southern Ohio you may run into an occasional rattle snake but that's mainly in the hills and far from civilized society...

We do have bees and wasps...I'm not quite sure what mossies are but I'm quite positive we don't have those around here...

There may also be the occasional and rare water moccasin or also known as a cotton mouth...But really nothing venomous lives here habitually...

Maybe this is why I'm unnerve about poisonous things...

I'm quite sure that it really is nice there...I was mainly looking for people who have had experiences with this sort of thing and how frequent it is to run into poisonous creatures...
Ally

Poisonous Australia...

Post by Ally »

Snyder Snyder Snyder,LOL Please excuse me for laughing but u have been watching toooooooooooooooo much TV.Of coarse there are snakes and spiders like everywhere else,and some of them are nasty,but just like living anywhere else u dont see them at all unless u go somewhere where they are.No we dont go around thinking about them everyday there's a lot more things to think about than a little ole snake lol.But I must admit we have had the occasional snake in the house, and my dog had disposed of them, so u may need a dog,and we do get red backs thats spiders nasty ones in the thunder box.Apart form that its all cool.Oh and theirs sharks and stingers,but its all good.Just let me know if u need to know anything else Snyder ill be happy to help.Cheers Possum.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

Ally;901931 wrote: Snyder Snyder Snyder,LOL Please excuse me for laughing but u have been watching toooooooooooooooo much TV.Of coarse there are snakes and spiders like everywhere else,and some of them are nasty,but just like living anywhere else u dont see them at all unless u go somewhere where they are.No we dont go around thinking about them everyday there's a lot more things to think about than a little ole snake lol.But I must admit we have had the occasional snake in the house, and my dog had disposed of them, so u may need a dog,and we do get red backs thats spiders nasty ones in the thunder box.Apart form that its all cool.Oh and theirs sharks and stingers,but its all good.Just let me know if u need to know anything else Snyder ill be happy to help.Cheers Possum.

:yh_tong2...I do watch the discovery channel often...:wah:

Occasional snake?...:yh_ooooo...See this is what I mean...Were they poisonous?...

No way would I ever sleep knowing it were possible for a poisonous snake to enter my house...And we're not talking about your average snake we're talking about..."the ten most venomous snakes in the world"...Surely you understand the concern without the luxury of habit?...

And I heard the red back spiders are the most poisonous spiders in Australia...Is this incorrect?...

And Black widows?...I'm sorry but I'm a man and Black widows don't like me...Has to be a form of intuition for the likes of themselves...

I'm just not good with poisonous things...

Maybe you could hold me and read me a bed time story?...:wah:
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

Ally;901931 wrote: Oh and theirs sharks and stingers,but its all good.

Oh and stone fish?...Forgettaboutit...

I've heard people would rather get hit with shrapnel...
Ally

Poisonous Australia...

Post by Ally »

LOL yep red backs are nasty little critters,reallysnyder i am having a bit of fun with u sorry,but like everywhere in the world there are all kinds of nastys.Red backs do live in houses under things but u dont usually see them and they keep their distance.Snakes once in a blue moon would u get one in the house they are normaly not poisonous.Really its not a problem at all and we do have antidotes for snake bites lol.Please come and visit our great country u will love it and u will probably never see a snake or red back unless u go to the zoo.lol:-6:-6:-6:-6
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

Ally;901956 wrote: LOL yep red backs are nasty little critters,reallysnyder i am having a bit of fun with u sorry,but like everywhere in the world there are all kinds of nastys.Red backs do live in houses under things but u dont usually see them and they keep their distance.Snakes once in a blue moon would u get one in the house they are normaly not poisonous.Really its not a problem at all and we do have antidotes for snake bites lol.Please come and visit our great country u will love it and u will probably never see a snake or red back unless u go to the zoo.lol:-6

Well there you go...That's especially comforting thank you...:yh_think...Wait a minute...You wouldn't be lieing to me would you?...:wah:...Just joking...

I find it hard to believe that out of all of those poisonous snakes that it's rare to come across them...The spiders I can cope with somewhat considering I know that what ensues is more so agonizing pain and that of stapling my thumb back to the likes of my hand...

But as far as the antidote speech I have to say that's not exactly soothing...

I have gained a bit more of a perspective thank you...;)
Ally

Poisonous Australia...

Post by Ally »

Dont worry we will look after u wen u come over.:-6:-6:-6:-6
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

Ally;901959 wrote: Dont worry we will look after u wen u come over.:-6:-6:-6:-6

Oh good...

You can point out all of the deadly things...
Ally

Poisonous Australia...

Post by Ally »

No worries.:):):):):-6
kayleneaussie

Poisonous Australia...

Post by kayleneaussie »

I have only seen one snake and that was on a huge property. If you leave them alone they will leave you alone. Its rare to see a snake unless you are in the bush. They dont go crawling down our streets;) so come on over you will love it :D
FOC THREAD PART 1
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

kayleneaussie;901988 wrote: I have only seen one snake and that was on a huge property. If you leave them alone they will leave you alone. Its rare to see a snake unless you are in the bush. They dont go crawling down our streets;) so come on over you will love it :D

I'm growing more and more willing as we speak...

Now to only get over this fear of flying...:wah:
kayleneaussie

Poisonous Australia...

Post by kayleneaussie »

K.Snyder;901990 wrote: I'm growing more and more willing as we speak...

Now to only get over this fear of flying...:wah:

Have a bottle of scotch before you get on the plane...you will be fine;):D
FOC THREAD PART 1
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

fuzzy butt;901991 wrote: Seriously you are SOOOOOOOOOO unlikely to be bitten by anything but a mozzie and I take it you'll be in the cities and not alot happens in the cities .

Just a heads up though ..........we do have anti-venon. It does exist :thinking: I know i've seen it in the fridge at the hospital.

The snakes that I've found in my backyard (I'm out in the sticks) would prefer not to be there .....but we're in drought and they are looking for water. It's not their fault that I hit them over the head with a shovel or blasted them with pellets . but it's them or the dogs or kids.

Lets face it those that are most venemous are very shy creatures and would prefer to slither away. Except in mating season they get a bit cranky.

Spiders on the other hand are a nusiance. Red backs are no matter . If you have to work with old wood or timber or Iron .....where gloves.

You'd have to be the most unluckiest person in the world to be bitten.

always ask a local !!! that's the best way.

Well I think it has alot to do with the fact that every time I hear anything involving Australia is soccer, cricket, extremely toxic spiders eating crickets,..deadly snakes,..dingos,..deadly snakes...stone fish with a mug little face that gets it's pleasures off of paralyzing people...Humongous crocodiles...deadly snakes...

I have taken into account all of what everyone has said...It makes it seem ever so much better...
spot

Poisonous Australia...

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;901929 wrote: There may also be the occasional and rare water moccasin or also known as a cotton mouth...But really nothing venomous lives here habitually...I'm having trouble reading that. And the "like everywhere in the world" bit. England has a small viper which hasn't killed anyone in living memory. If I knew of a part of England that hosted the cottonmouth I guarantee I'd not travel through it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;902006 wrote: I'm having trouble reading that. And the "like everywhere in the world" bit. England has a small viper which hasn't killed anyone in living memory. If I knew of a part of England that hosted the cottonmouth I guarantee I'd not travel through it.

(Wiki)

Common names: cottonmouth, water moccasin, black moccasin, black snake, more.

Agkistrodon piscivorus is a venomous pitviper species found in the eastern United States. Large and notorious, it is semiaquatic and usually found in or near water. When agitated it will often stand its ground and gape at an intruder, exposing the white lining of its mouth. It is capable of delivering a painful and potentially fatal bite, but its reputation for aggression is undeserved as it is only likely to bite when picked up. Once described as omnicarnivorous, it has a highly varied diet that has even been reported to include carrion. The specific name is derived from the Latin words piscis and voro, which mean "fish" and "to eat", in reference to its diet. Three subspecies are currently recognized, including the nominate subspecies described here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agkistrodon_piscivorus

They more or less only show up occasionally through rivers and streams from which they've traveled quite a long distance...
mrsK

Poisonous Australia...

Post by mrsK »

Where I live we have the king brown snake the most deadliest there is.

No one has died from being bitten by that snake out here since I have lived here.

I am thinking you will be as safe as ever.

Come to ouback NSW & you will love it,go to the cities & you will love it.

Australia is a fantastic place,just come on down don't be scared,we will all look after you:sneaky::sneaky:

When are you thinking of coming? Anytime soon?:-6
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

mrsK;902021 wrote: Where I live we have the king brown snake the most deadliest there is.

No one has died from being bitten by that snake out here since I have lived here.

I am thinking you will be as safe as ever.

Come to ouback NSW & you will love it,go to the cities & you will love it.

Australia is a fantastic place,just come on down don't be scared,we will all look after you:sneaky::sneaky:

When are you thinking of coming? Anytime soon?:-6

Well I couldn't possibly predict when I might go to Australia but one thing is for certain...I would love to visit other countries and cultures and considering the fact that Australia is an English speaking country I feel a bit more compelled to go there...Not as if I have anything against non English speaking countries rather I like to get what I ordered...;):wah:
mrsK

Poisonous Australia...

Post by mrsK »

K.Snyder;902023 wrote: ...Not as if I have anything against non English speaking countries rather I like to get what I ordered...;):wah:

I can relate to that :wah:
AussiePam

Poisonous Australia...

Post by AussiePam »

The tropical bits of sea in the southern parts of the US probably have some sharks and stingers. Black widow spiders and tarantulas leap out from under every rock. The swamps have alligators and some not too friendly type snakes. Rattlers abound in the desert areas and other places too killing everyone in sight. Then in the woods, apart from deer ticks (lyme disease) you have poison oak, poison ivy, poison sumak. And that brings me to bears... yeah... and skunks and banjo playing hillbillies with guns who want you to squeal like a pig...

Argghghghghgh... Australia has gotta be a heap safer!!!

:sneaky:
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

AussiePam;902025 wrote: The tropical bits of sea in the southern parts of the US probably have some sharks and stingers. Black widow spiders and tarantulas leap out from under every rock. The swamps have alligators and some not too friendly type snakes. Rattlers abound in the desert areas and other places too killing everyone in sight. Then in the woods, apart from deer ticks (lyme disease) you have poison oak, poison ivy, poison sumak. And that brings me to bears... yeah... and skunks and banjo playing hillbillies with guns who want you to squeal like a pig...

Argghghghghgh... Australia has gotta be a heap safer!!!

:sneaky:

You've never lived in Ohio...:wah:

Well...Just as long as you don't wonder around in Dayton and parts of Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, and Toledo...

Dayton(The city in which I reside in one of it's closest suburbs) is ranked 7th most dangerous in the United States according to Population Group http://www.statestats.com/cit04pop.htm...

Oh and don't try traveling around Springfield or Youngstown either...They'll get you...We have creatures around there called humans...:wah:
mrsK

Poisonous Australia...

Post by mrsK »

Have a look through here.

I know you will love Australia.:-6

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=33585
spot

Poisonous Australia...

Post by spot »

It occurs to me that perhaps the US and Australia have no stinging nettles? They can kill the uninformed and it's not often you'd see a field in England with none.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ally

Poisonous Australia...

Post by Ally »

See Snyder not a problem and we aussies are very friendly to.As for flying im a wimp to so ur not the only one there.So come on down under and we can slap a bit of cow on the barbie none of this shrimp rubbish.We'll crack open a tinnie and shout the breeze.Western Oz is definatly the best state.:-6:-6:-6:-6
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

mrsK;902031 wrote: Have a look through here.

I know you will love Australia.:-6

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=33585

I had a brief look at that as I didn't want to mimic any posts...I felt that it would be inappropriate to bring about my concerns in that thread as it looked to be a bit more vacation oriented...
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

Ally;902035 wrote: See Snyder not a problem and we aussies are very friendly to.As for flying im a wimp to so ur not the only one there.So come on down under and we can slap a bit of cow on the barbie none of this shrimp rubbish.We'll crack open a tinnie and shout the breeze.Western Oz is definatly the best state.:-6:-6:-6:-6

Sounds exhilarating...
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;902034 wrote: It occurs to me that perhaps the US and Australia have no stinging nettles? They can kill the uninformed and it's not often you'd see a field in England with none.

I see no potential threat with stinging nettles...
Ally

Poisonous Australia...

Post by Ally »

Dont have them in OZ:-6:-6:-6
spot

Poisonous Australia...

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;902040 wrote: I see no potential threat with stinging nettles...

Here's one reference from New Zealand:Two lightly-clad men, 18 and 21 years old, went shooting in hill country of the Ruahine Ranges in the late afternoon of 26 December. On their return in the early evening they hurried through what one described as ‘…a lot of stinging nettle and it felt like a series of needle pricks.’ Not long after, perhaps less than an hour, one of them complained of stomach ache and appeared to be exhausted. Partial paralysis set in when he lay down to rest; he had difficulty in breathing and a short time later he could not see. He was rescued, but died five hours later after being admitted to hospital. His companion suffered similarly, though not to the same extent, and did not die.”

http://www2.monarch.org.nz/monarch/forum/topic/205

K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;902044 wrote: Here's one reference from New Zealand:Two lightly-clad men, 18 and 21 years old, went shooting in hill country of the Ruahine Ranges in the late afternoon of 26 December. On their return in the early evening they hurried through what one described as ‘…a lot of stinging nettle and it felt like a series of needle pricks.’ Not long after, perhaps less than an hour, one of them complained of stomach ache and appeared to be exhausted. Partial paralysis set in when he lay down to rest; he had difficulty in breathing and a short time later he could not see. He was rescued, but died five hours later after being admitted to hospital. His companion suffered similarly, though not to the same extent, and did not die.”

http://www2.monarch.org.nz/monarch/forum/topic/205

“Tree Nettle is dangerous to livestock and man. The brittle-pointed stinging hairs cause intense pain and both man and animals may even die. Horses and dogs are the only known affected animals, and horses have been known to die quite soon after blundering into tree nettles (Aston 1909, 1934). Some losses in both horses and dogs still occur.

Of the remaining species occurring in NZ none is held responsible for any serious damage to man or livestock. True, the naturalized U. urens, nettle and U. dioica, perennial nettle, cause short-lived irritation, intense at times, to those who come in contact with them, as does the native U. aspera, which is densely clothed with stinging hairs.

The tree nettle is the only nettle of the many that I've read that is the only considerably dangerous of all of the nettles...Tree nettles or Urtica ferox or Ongaonga are only found in New Zealand I do believe...

Otherwise most species of nettles are extremely safe and some are even eaten as vegetables after being steamed to remove the stingers.

Picking Tree Nettles safely...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nettle#Safety
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

Well there you go...I could have sporadically went to New Zealand and run across that of a Tree Nettle or Ongaonga and have died only after I escaped that of the likes of the King Brown and the Red Back spider...
Joe

Poisonous Australia...

Post by Joe »

Watch out for the ferocious dunny spider (dunny, right word?, Australian outside toilet). Apparently they lurk in the bowl & bite your bum, then you get very ill & may die. Well that's the shock horror rumour, but it's probably just scaremongering, I shouldn't worry too much, I mean Australia's full of people who don't die of it, but it's a popular myth about Australia that I keep hearing when Australia's talked about, sort of like a standard joke. But it wouldn't put me off going. I think you'll be fine & have a great trip.
spot

Poisonous Australia...

Post by spot »

I'm horrified at being so wrong about stinging nettles, I've spent all my life thinking that rolling naked in a patch was guaranteed fatal so I never did it..
mrsK

Poisonous Australia...

Post by mrsK »

spot;902071 wrote: I'm horrified at being so wrong about stinging nettles, I've spent all my life thinking that rolling naked in a patch was guaranteed fatal so I never did it..

Stinging nettles are harmless:thinking:

Hurt like hell for a little while nothing major,when I weed my garden I pull them out with my bare hands.:-6
mrsK

Poisonous Australia...

Post by mrsK »

Joe;902067 wrote: Watch out for the ferocious dunny spider (dunny, right word?, Australian outside toilet). Apparently they lurk in the bowl & bite your bum, then you get very ill & may die. Well that's the shock horror rumour, but it's probably just scaremongering, I shouldn't worry too much, I mean Australia's full of people who don't die of it, but it's a popular myth about Australia that I keep hearing when Australia's talked about, sort of like a standard joke. But it wouldn't put me off going. I think you'll be fine & have a great trip.

Here are the lyrics about the redback

Redback on the Toilet Seat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a redback on the toilet seat

When I was there last night

I didn't see him in the dark

But boy, I felt his bite,

I jumped high up into the air

And when i hit the ground

That crafty redback spider

Wasn't nowhere to be found

I rushed in to the missus

Told her just where I'd been bit

She grabbed the cut-throat razor blade

And i nearly took a fit,

I said, "Forget what's on you mind

And call the doctor please

Cause I've got a feeling that your cure

Is worse than the disease"

There was a redback on the toilet seat

When i was there last night

I didn't see him in the dark

But boy I felt his bite

And now I'm here in hospital

A sad and sorry plight

And i curse that redback spider

On the toilet seat last night

I can't lie down, I can't sit up

I don't know what to do

The nurses think it's funny

That's not my point of view

I tell you it's embarassing

And that's to say the least

Cause I'm too sick to eat a bite

While the spider had a feast
Kathy Ellen

Poisonous Australia...

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hope you love Australia when you go K...

Hi Mrs. K,

I was going to suggest to K that he read your posts about Australia....I'm about 2/3s in reading them....absolutely lovely:-4
Ally

Poisonous Australia...

Post by Ally »

Joe there called lots of names here dunny, thunderbox, toot,Sh**H****,and many more,lol and ur right about the red back on the toilet seat, pretty little things but deadly.:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

Ally;902873 wrote: Joe there called lots of names here dunny, thunderbox, toot,Sh**H****,and many more,lol and ur right about the red back on the toilet seat, pretty little things but deadly.:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

Must eat alot of fiber in the Outback...
Lon

Poisonous Australia...

Post by Lon »

Well. I am a Yank that has made a dozen or more trips to Australia over the years and have never seen a snake except in the zoo. I have traveled the outback. and most of the major cities and the only problem I ran into was Koala's in heat near Melborne.

If you don't like snakes, try New Zealand as there are none at all in any part of the country.
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

Lon;902901 wrote: Well. I am a Yank that has made a dozen or more trips to Australia over the years and have never seen a snake except in the zoo. I have traveled the outback. and most of the major cities and the only problem I ran into was Koala's in heat near Melborne.

If you don't like snakes, try New Zealand as there are none at all in any part of the country.

Yes, but they have Tree Nettles...:wah:

I just hate snakes...And I hate poisonous spiders as about as much...

There truly is nothing here in Ohio to worry about...Obviously other than crack heads...But you have to know where not to be and I do...However I don't know where not to be in Australia or what to be cautious about hence my thread...

I was just intrigued at how there could be so many poisonous creatures in one country and how civilization just motors around it...

Perhaps someone here has a story they can share involving their encounters with extremely deadly snakes...They have to be all around...I mean it's Australia!!!
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

Now that the venom seems to have subsided what about getting my ass kicked by the likes of a big eyed belligerent kangaroo?...

I don't need to be set up by a 1-2-3 combo only to be finished off by a drop kick...

Do you have many problems with kangaroos in the outback?...

I heard during mating season the males can get extremely territorial...
kayleneaussie

Poisonous Australia...

Post by kayleneaussie »

Dont worry about the Kangaroos they arent jumping down our streets either;)

You will find them in the outback or in my case we have a huge lot of land near our place with lots of kangaroos but it is enclosed so no danger there:D
FOC THREAD PART 1
kayleneaussie

Poisonous Australia...

Post by kayleneaussie »

If you do go to the outback you just use common sense and you will be okay. If you take a guided tour of the outback which you would really love there would be no problems :)
FOC THREAD PART 1
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

kayleneaussie;903040 wrote: Dont worry about the Kangaroos they arent jumping down our streets either;)

You will find them in the outback or in my case we have a huge lot of land near our place with lots of kangaroos but it is enclosed so no danger there:D

Yeah...

I wasn't too overly worried about the kangaroos I was just joking around really, but I did watch a show involving a kangaroo attack in Australia from which the child attacked(Now grown up) was severely mauled...They had later come to the conclusion that the kangaroo was defending it's territory during mating season...

Although they were on a golf course...:wah:
spot

Poisonous Australia...

Post by spot »

Lon;902901 wrote: the only problem I ran into was Koala's in heat near Melborne.Lon, seriously, you can't write that and not post an accompanying photo. Play fair.

Kangaroos seem to be spreading worldwide, my daughter saw five in a field near the river over the weekend. She'd been out in the sun for quite a while by then and even she sounded startled when she announced it - nobody else could see them.
Ally

Poisonous Australia...

Post by Ally »

Funny Spot, a bit of sun stroke perhaps.K the golf coarse is home for a lot of kangaroos unfortunatly as development takes all the open space they have to mate somewhere lol.Snakes nice or nasty are not found slithering around our steets,Outsiders seem to have a very ill informed view of Australia.We are not all Paul Hogans.K mabe u should try getting hypnotised for ur phobia of snakes.:-6:-6:-6:-6
K.Snyder

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

Ally;903061 wrote: Funny Spot, a bit of sun stroke perhaps.K the golf coarse is home for a lot of kangaroos unfortunatly as development takes all the open space they have to mate somewhere lol.Snakes nice or nasty are not found slithering around our steets,Outsiders seem to have a very ill informed view of Australia.We are not all Paul Hogans.K mabe u should try getting hypnotised for ur phobia of snakes.:-6:-6:-6:-6

I wouldn't necessarily call it a phobia of snakes...I don't mind taking snakes out of womens' yards(A lady had called me over and asked if I would kill a guarder snake that was in her yard and I had told her she didn't have to kill it...That the snake was harmless(Unless of course anyone is very susceptible to infection due to their germs) because it wasn't poisonous, so I picked it up and eventually set it free in the stream down the road)...

I do have a phobia about poisonous snakes and again this is probably because I live in Ohio and the only poisonous snake I have ever seen that wasn't on television was one that was in a box at a snake exhibit in Kentucky...

And any snakes that may be at all possible in being visible in Ohio will be the rattlers native to Kentucky and they have rattlers displaying the fact that they're not partial to being handled...And don't let those crazy southern Christians tell you otherwise...

Return to “Travel Places”