Woman's Lot: Better or Not?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Do you think that women have it better today than ever before? Or not? Have we succeeded in "having it all?" Do we still have a glass ceiling in our workplace?

Have we as a gender gained respect from men? How about respect from other women? Are our lives easier and more fulfilling than that of our moms and grandmothers? Or does it all just come out in the wash?
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

I think the opportunities are greater, but it is still what the person makes of them. Also, and most important, all things are relevant to the situation and the other people involved. Example: racial inequality and homosexuals. Yes things are better, but it still all depends on whom you come in contact with. Perjudices don't die easy.

For me, as a woman, I've never felt held back. However, I will 'play the game', which some will not. I quietly move forward into the things I want to do. I am not aggressive and do not threaten. I become indispensible before most realize I was moving up and in. Ya gotta work the cards you are dealt.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

SOJOURNER;943905 wrote: Ya gotta work the cards you are dealt.

But the dealer is probably not a woman!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

It is better than it was, there is still a long way to go. I still seethe a little when my husband and I are waiting for an appointment somewhere, and when they ask for Dr. so-and-so, they always look at him. :rolleyes:
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

I think there is a lot of lip service payed to women and their rights.

Women in the US and Europe still find it hard to take the proper amount of maternity leave and often after having a child their job is no longer open or they get moved sideways in the company.

Think about it, if the child is sick who do the school normally phone.....mum

who is then expected to stay home.....mum

If the house looks a mess no one ever says 'that bloke really lets his house go' no they always look at the wife as if she is responsable for it all.

Letters are still always adressed Mr and Mrs our joint account is Mr and Mrs A**

I made a booking for a dinner dance and the table reservation was Mr A**** and guest, that really pi55ed me off.

On the other hand I play along sometimes. I got stopped with a leaky exhaust had no paperwork or ID with me so really should have got 2 or 3 tickets but I played the dumb blonde card and the policeman laughed and sent me on my way.
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

RedGlitter;943886 wrote: Do you think that women have it better today than ever before? Or not? Have we succeeded in "having it all?" Do we still have a glass ceiling in our workplace?

Have we as a gender gained respect from men? How about respect from other women? Are our lives easier and more fulfilling than that of our moms and grandmothers? Or does it all just come out in the wash?

I for one don't "want it all"...it's to hard to balance life that way. I think it has gotten better tho...I was a mechanic at a car rental place and moved up to manager. One way it hasn't changed is that I got fired because I wouldn't sleep with the VP of the company. Happy to say that shortly after I left, the local office closed...then the whole company folded. I ran the busiest office in the company. They got theirs! :wah:
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I want it all, on my terms.

But most days I settle for survival..:D
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Women do have more choices than we used to have. We also have more responsiblilties.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Return to “General Chit Chat”