Help!! Arthritis!!

RedGlitter

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by RedGlitter »

It's been humid and rainy here and I'm seriously feeling it. For three days I've been mincing and wincing. I have arthritis in both ankles and it acts up in wet weather.

What can I do for it? I've used every OTC drug made, including cocktails of such, I've taken hydrocodone for almost four years and it fails to work anymore, and I've been through all the OTC patches and creams. I'll be seeing a doctor soon but does anyone have any tricks? Right now I'm wearing Icy Hot. Oh that's attractive. :thinking:

Ouch. :(
pinkchick

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by pinkchick »

RedGlitter;946814 wrote: It's been humid and rainy here and I'm seriously feeling it. For three days I've been mincing and wincing. I have arthritis in both ankles and it acts up in wet weather.

What can I do for it? I've used every OTC drug made, including cocktails of such, I've taken hydrocodone for almost four years and it fails to work anymore, and I've been through all the OTC patches and creams. I'll be seeing a doctor soon but does anyone have any tricks? Right now I'm wearing Icy Hot. Oh that's attractive. :thinking:

I feel your pain RG :-4

I have arthritis in my spine

You should ask your doctor about Feldene Gel

It works for me... :-4
Very nearly perfect ... :D
RedGlitter

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by RedGlitter »

Thanks PinkChick.

I'm sorry you have to deal with it too. :(

I will ask about the Feldene.
pinkchick

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by pinkchick »

RedGlitter;946823 wrote: Thanks PinkChick.

I'm sorry you have to deal with it too. :(

I will ask about the Feldene.

If you haven't already tried....you might want to try Biofreeze too.

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me but it does work for some.

You can get it directly from the pharmacy

:-4
RedGlitter

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by RedGlitter »

Biofreeze? Is that one of those cold sprays? I've used Arctic Ice and Stop Pain....also Mineral Ice and it all works pretty well except after a while my feet feel too cold.

Sometimes I just like the hot stuff, like in winter time. I sometimes use those Salon Pas patches and Thera Heat.

I'll check out this Biofreeze.

One thing I really liked was Eucalyptamint but I think they quit making it.

I tried some of those capsaicin creams and one just about burned my feet clean off. :thinking: :wah: Sheesh.
pinkchick

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by pinkchick »

RedGlitter;946841 wrote: Biofreeze? Is that one of those cold sprays? I've used Arctic Ice and Stop Pain....also Mineral Ice and it all works pretty well except after a while my feet feel too cold.

Sometimes I just like the hot stuff, like in winter time. I sometimes use those Salon Pas patches and Thera Heat.

I'll check out this Biofreeze.

One thing I really liked was Eucalyptamint but I think they quit making it.

I tried some of those capsaicin creams and one just about burned my feet clean off. :thinking: :wah: Sheesh.
Biofreeze is a gel...

My friend's husband swears by it.

I promise you sweetie - it wont burn your feet off ;)

It's nice and cool :-6
RedGlitter

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by RedGlitter »

Cool. I'll see if they carry it here and if so I'll get some. :)
Sheryl

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by Sheryl »

Have you tried just soaking your feet in some hot water? Maybe with some epsom salts?
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
RedGlitter

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by RedGlitter »

You know I do soak in hot water which is helpful for a spell but it's been a while since I used Epsom salts....I just happen to have a big container of them too. I'll do that tonight and see if it helps. Thanks Sheryl. :)
weeder

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by weeder »

Do you know the list of foods that flare up arthtitis ? Like the nightshade vegetables? Boswellian cream.. In the health food stores.. from Africa.

I feel for you too. My feet flare up, and its awful.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Patsy Warnick

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by Patsy Warnick »

RED

You know, you just keep trying different remedies - actually there isn't much to relieve the pain from arthritis .

The humiditity makes me sick also, and my body tells me when it's humid. ouch!!

I was up in your part of town - surprize adventure to Laughlin.

Sorry about your pain - can't advise anything that hasn't already been listed, or tried - from hot water bottle to massages to ointment.

My back doesn't allow me to move - very painful, no answers for relief

so I just stay a BIT - - ....:wah:

Patsy
RedGlitter

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by RedGlitter »

weeder;946879 wrote: Do you know the list of foods that flare up arthtitis ? Like the nightshade vegetables? Boswellian cream.. In the health food stores.. from Africa.

Nightshade...would that be sweet potatoes and tomatoes? I'm not very plant familiar. I will look up the Boswellian cream. Thank you, Weeder. :)

99th Monkey;946881 wrote: Space cake will ease the pain,

for an average size cake you should mix in roughly 5 grams of cannabis :)

:D Thank you 99. I'll keep that in mind.

Patsy Warnick;946914 wrote: RED

You know, you just keep trying different remedies - actually there isn't much to relieve the pain from arthritis .

The humiditity makes me sick also, and my body tells me when it's humid. ouch!!

I was up in your part of town - surprize adventure to Laughlin.

Sorry about your pain - can't advise anything that hasn't already been listed, or tried - from hot water bottle to massages to ointment.

My back doesn't allow me to move - very painful, no answers for relief

so I just stay a BIT - - ....:wah:

Patsy

I'm not used to it being this nagging. I bet you aren't either because it's always so arid around here.

And HEY Missy!! Why didn't you tell me you were coming to Laughlin?? I could have been there to see you in about fifteen minutes!! :-6
Richard Bell

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by Richard Bell »

Some people swear by glucosamine, some say it's worthless.

I mentioned it to my GP one time when I was discussing my mother's arthritis with him. He seemed to scoff at it, but immediately added his wife was taking it, and finding it beneficial.

It's pretty inexpensive, and it doesn't have any detrimental side effects. You'll have to be the judge as to it's efficacy.
Sheryl

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by Sheryl »

I found this site. It might help you.

http://www.ayurvediccure.com/jointpain.htm
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Clint

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by Clint »

I suffered for years even experiencing times when I was completely out of service. I went to a podiatrist because my feet were hurting constantly and she prescribed Diclofenac. That was two years ago and I still have times when I'm a little uncomfortable but I don't suffer like I did and I do pretty much what I want to do.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
shelbell

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by shelbell »

RedGlitter;946814 wrote: It's been humid and rainy here and I'm seriously feeling it. For three days I've been mincing and wincing. I have arthritis in both ankles and it acts up in wet weather.

I have arthritis in my spine, they will sometimes give you a shot of some kind of steroid into the affected joint(s). It doesn't work for me cuz I'm that 1 in 10,000 that can't be numbed or have that kind of thing give me any relief. It usually works wonders and lots of people swear by it. Most likely you are in the other 9,999. Give it a shot(pun intened:wah:) and I bet it gives you more relief than anything else. Feel better soon.:-6
RedGlitter

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by RedGlitter »

Thank you all for your help. I appreciate that.

Sheryl- I found some things I hadn't yet tried on the site you sent me to. I will look into those and try them. Thank you.

Clint- I will be seeing the doctor soon and will ask him about that drug. I hadn't heard of it before. Thanks for telling me about it.

Shelbell- thank you too. They've suggested steroid shots but I've always refused them because of horror stories I've heard about them being worse than the arthritis. I might look into it though.

You folks with spinal arthritis; I feel bad for you. I know how much I hurt just walking around, I can only imagine how much pain you have to deal with. I'm sorry for it.

Again thank you. :)
Bez

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by Bez »

Poor you....Glucosamine seems to work.....or good old Cod live oil capsules.

Ankles must be very difficult ...having got Arthritis in my shoulders, neck and hands you have my sympathies. Heat always helps when it's really bad. I don't take medication....at the moment anyway.

Hope you find something that works for you Red...keep trying.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
RedGlitter

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by RedGlitter »

Thank you Jimbo and Bez.

Cod liver oil for arthritis? That's new to me!
Kathy Ellen

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Awwwww Red:-6

Hope you feel better...you've gotten a lot of good advice.

Wish I could help.....:-6
weeder

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by weeder »

I just remembered. There is also the organic apple cider vinegar, water, and honey remedy that millons swear by........ 2 tsp on a glass of water daily.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Bez

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by Bez »

RedGlitter;947005 wrote: Thank you Jimbo and Bez.

Cod liver oil for arthritis? That's new to me!

Apparently it lubricates the joints.....good for your hair and nails too
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Patsy Warnick

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by Patsy Warnick »

RED

I take Cod Liver Oil - pill form. I've taken it for years, old remedy that helps alot of things. very good for you.

Make sure you eat something when you take Cod Liver oil.

I haven't looked on the internet for Cod L. Oil - maybe it'll explain all it does..?

and the dose to take

maybe I don't take enough?

I can't wait for this humidity to leave....

Patsy
valerie

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by valerie »

Do you take natural anti-inflams? Flaxseed oil is a pretty good one, no

out-and-out CURE or anything but it should take it down a peg...

Might take a little while to work, though.

(I would bet that might be the cod liver oil approach, too)
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Peg

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by Peg »

I think being diabetic you have to watch steroids because they'll raise it. I'm to the point, I'll try about anything and everything.
RedGlitter

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by RedGlitter »

You guys are really great. I appreciate all the help and advice you're giving me. :-6:-6:-6
wildhorses

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by wildhorses »

RedGlitter;947513 wrote: You guys are really great. I appreciate all the help and advice you're giving me. :-6:-6:-6

Sorry about your pain. I know how it feels as I have arthritis in my right foot.

A couple of winters ago I started using those insoles to try to keep my foot warmer. Those insoles that are made of that nice squishy rubber...they are actually for foot odor. But I use them because they keep my foot warmer.....but also they lessen the impact when I walk. They act like a shock absorber.

Before I was using them I could not do that much walking without being in pain. But now I can do quite a bit of walking. Well my point is that even though the pain is in your ankles, it could help to have some barrier to the impact of walking, which can worsen arthritis. Now I even have sandals for the summer with padded soles. It really helps.
RedGlitter

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by RedGlitter »

Hi Wildhorses, :)

I'll get some. Do you have a brand you recommend?
wildhorses

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by wildhorses »

Hi Red:

I used Dr. Scholl's. I got the double thick ones. If you can't find the double thick type, then maybe you can put two of the skinny ones in each shoe. One skinny type is really too thin to give you much cushion. Hope it makes you feel better.

Wild.
RedGlitter

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by RedGlitter »

Thanks Wild. I'll pick some up this week. I had had custom orthotics made some years ago but by the time you put them in the shoes, there's no room left for the feet! :wah:

In the past, I have tried those think magnetic insoles that also have the rubber nubs on them? I really liked them. I noticed a difference. But I haven't been able to find that same kind anymore.
wildhorses

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by wildhorses »

RedGlitter;1031610 wrote: Thanks Wild. I'll pick some up this week. I had had custom orthotics made some years ago but by the time you put them in the shoes, there's no room left for the feet! :wah:

In the past, I have tried those think magnetic insoles that also have the rubber nubs on them? I really liked them. I noticed a difference. But I haven't been able to find that same kind anymore.

Oh yes. I had one pair of shoes that when I put the insole in, they were kind of tight across the top. But they worked fine in all my other shoes. Good luck. With winter coming up we need all the help we can get!
RedGlitter

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by RedGlitter »

Thanks! I meant to say 'thick' magnetic insoles, not "think."

And another helpful thing I've found is those UGG- type boots. I won't wear real sheepskin/shearling so I buy the generic ones (cheaper too!) and they are really warm and cozy! Lots of wiggle room too. :)
guppy

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by guppy »

here is one thing i have noticed..going in and out of a airconditoned environment too many times in a day..will aggravate the crap out of my joints..if i am outside i stay outside for as long as possible..and when i go inside to the airconditioner i stay in..same way during the winter..i cant tolerate the pressure changes by going from a heated house or building to the cold and back very many times..

just something for you to think about..:-6
RedGlitter

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by RedGlitter »

I've never really thought about that. I'll test it out when it gets colder here. :)
guppy

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by guppy »

RedGlitter;1031664 wrote: I've never really thought about that. I'll test it out when it gets colder here. :)

I have learned the hard way..if i do it too many times i will start aching later for hours..and hours..

when i used to work the store for the booster club at football games they thought i was a saint because i always took the outside part..and the reason was because i couldnt take going in and out of the aircondioned part of the store..so i always took the part nobody else wanted..:p
Odie

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by Odie »

what about hot baths or heating pads to loosen the joints?
Life is just to short for drama.
RedGlitter

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by RedGlitter »

Hot water does help but only for a short while. :(
guppy

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by guppy »

oh yea..here is another bit of advice..dont bend your joints up when you sleep. i used to curl my legs up at night when i was a kid..it was an unconsious way to lesson the pain..and it worked..but i often ended up in the hospital later because my joints would "freeze" in a bent postion as my knee joints swelled during ra flare ups..after a doctor explained to me what i was doing..i started sleeping on my stomach when i was in alot of pain to keep my legs and arms straight so i wouldnt make it any worse than it was...
Odie

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by Odie »

RedGlitter;1031679 wrote: Hot water does help but only for a short while. :(

does keeping your body warm help at all?
Life is just to short for drama.
tedhutchinson

Help!! Arthritis!!

Post by tedhutchinson »

Any condition that causes pain is the result of inflammation.

There are 2 approaches to dealing with inflammation the first is to improve your natural anti inflammatory status and the other is to reduce the pro inflammatory inputs.

The main natural anti inflammatory agents you can improve on are

Vitamin D3 take around 5000iu/daily if female or 6000iu/d if male. Get your 25(OH)D levels checked and try to get your level above 50ng or 125nmol/l and if possible up to 60ng 150nmol/l. Don't be satisfied with anything under 40ng 100nmol/l.

Omega 3 fish oil you need roughly 1.5g daily of EPA +DHA so that means taking around SIX fish oil capsules daily. You may be able to find some concentrated capsules that would reduce the number needed to 3 daily or a liquid form that supples 1500mg of omega 3 in one teaspoon ful.

Magnesium is another often forgotten anti inflammatory agent. Around 600mg daily of magnesium is best. Magnesium malate or taurinate are effective forms. The oxide version is least well absorbed you may want to look for Albion Chelates as these are most reliable. You may also want to try adding a jugful of magnesium sulphate or magnesium chloride to your bathwater and soak in that. You can absorb the mangesium through the skin and it will help you sleep better. Take your magnesium supplements before you go to bed for the same reason. You'll get a better nights sleep.

Consider changing to drinking only green tea as you main drink. This has many healthy properties.

Reducing Pro inflammatory inputs.

First and foremost every fat cell in your body can give off pro inflammatory cytokines. These make matters worse. So reducing the size of you fat cells reduces their capacity to flood your body with pro inflammatory cytokine. Eat a LOW CARBOHYDRATE diet. that reduces insulin levels and allows your fat cells to release the stored fat and therefore get smaller and less powerful.

You need to be eating low glycemic load foods such as green leafy vegetables such as broccoli and spinach and fruits such as grapefruits and cherries. Berries, dark chocolate, red wine, green tea, and pomegranate reduce inflammation.

Eating nuts (but not peanuts or cashews) daily also helps as they slow the progress of the food through the system and reduce the rise in insulin levels.

Avoid highly processed foods and beverages, particularly those containing sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, white flour, or trans fats.

Eat salad daily, consisting of leafy greens with dressing of vinegar and virgin olive oil.

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”