Chicken soup

Discuss alternative healing (Yoga, Reflexology) and self-help type books for the mind and thoughts for the soul.
koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Never really got in on the Chicken Soup For the Soul books but thought it might be fun to gather Chicken Soup from the members.

There are a lot of great thoughts and phrases floating around in the signatures. I would love to hear more of them...could you post your favourites here?
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: Never really got in on the Chicken Soup For the Soul books but thought it might be fun to gather Chicken Soup from the members.

There are a lot of great thoughts and phrases floating around in the signatures. I would love to hear more of them...could you post your favourites here?

I have read one Chicken Soup For the Soul book. It was quite interesting. There was one good thought - 'Bring love back to the city. Only it can save it.'
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

http://www.betterlife4all.com
koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Not necessarily "chicken soup" but they made me laugh.

My toughest fight was with my first wife.

--Muhammed Ali

Not only is there no God, but try to get a plummer on weekends.

--Woody Allen

A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on.

--William S. Burroughs
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: Not necessarily "chicken soup" but they made me laugh.

My toughest fight was with my first wife.

--Muhammed Ali

Not only is there no God, but try to get a plummer on weekends.

--Woody Allen

A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on.

--William S. Burroughs

Not necessarily "chicken soup" but it made me think.

Think. Not react, not judge and condemn. Just think.

-- A Karenina
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Thinking is always a good thing!

People tell me I think too much, I just think I think too much of too much. If I could think too much of only a few things I might accomplish more...but it is better than thinking too much of too little.
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: Thinking is always a good thing!

People tell me I think too much, I just think I think too much of too much. If I could think too much of only a few things I might accomplish more...but it is better than thinking too much of too little.

Thinking is a good habit, but it should be linked with action. Merely thinking and not taking any action is no good.

There are three types of people in this world. One, who act but don't think. Two, who think but don't act. Three, who think and also act. Third category of people are most successful.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Here's some more. Topic: Life

Laughter is the best medicine so I think these qualify as chicken soup.

Life is far too important a thing to ever talk seriously about.

--Oliver Wendall Holmes

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out alive.

--R D Laing

(hardly?)

Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious.

--Ben Stein

more of a "hmmmm" from a great thinker:

Life is an unbroken succession of false situations.

--Socrates

(Would be interested in hearing some thoughts on this one)
illuminati

Chicken soup

Post by illuminati »

koan wrote: Here's some more. Topic: Life

--Socrates

Actually, this quote is from Thornton Wilder.

I never really liked this quote because I don't think it is a positive way to look at life.
koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Actually, this quote is from Thornton Wilder.

Don't know who that is but, what a far distance from Socrates.

Are you sure that Wilder didn't get it from Socrates? I got it from the net. So my sources are not verified.

Regardless; it could be taken negatively but be sure the negativity is not in the reader. Life is certainly an unbroken succession of situations. Now, "false"? This could refer to life being an illusion comprised of our limited perceptions. If this is the meaning, then it may merely imply that there is much more than what we perceive. If the situation one is currently involved in is unpleasant to them then these could be words of encouragement. Does a person feel safe if the world is not what they think it is? This could be the cause of finding negativity in the statement. There could be many reasons for how the thought affects you.

Why do you find it negative?
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: Here's some more. Topic: Life

Laughter is the best medicine so I think these qualify as chicken soup.

Life is far too important a thing to ever talk seriously about.

--Oliver Wendall Holmes

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out alive.

--R D Laing

(hardly?)

Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious.

--Ben Stein

more of a "hmmmm" from a great thinker:

--Socrates

It seems that these thinkers have not agreed that laughter is the best medicine.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Suresh Gupta wrote: It seems that these thinkers have not agreed that laughter is the best medicine.

See that's the thing about humour, especially sarcasm, not everyone will find it amusing.

I laughed when I gave birth because I thought it was ridiculous that something could hurt so much. But then I have a VERY odd sense of humour. Often, perhaps, a defence mechanism.

What makes you laugh?
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: See that's the thing about humour, especially sarcasm, not everyone will find it amusing.

I laughed when I gave birth because I thought it was ridiculous that something could hurt so much. But then I have a VERY odd sense of humour. Often, perhaps, a defence mechanism.

What makes you laugh?

What makes me laugh, your reaction on your experience.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

Bill Sikes

Chicken soup

Post by Bill Sikes »

koan wrote: Never really got in on the Chicken Soup For the Soul books but thought it might be fun to gather Chicken Soup from the members.

You can still buy the "Nutshell Library" of four little books. It's well worth getting.

It's supposed to be for children, probably. I love it. Here's one book:

Chicken Soup with Rice - A Book of Months

By Maurice Sendak

In January

It's so nice

While slipping

On the sliding ice

To sip hot chicken soup

With rice

Sipping once

Sipping twice

Sipping chicken soup

With rice

In February

It will be

My snowman's

Anniversary

With cake for him

And soup for me

Happy once

Happy twice

Happy chicken soup

With rice

In March the wind

Blows down the door

And spills my soup

Upon the floor

It laps it up

And roars for more

Blowing once

Blowing twice

Blowing chicken soup

With rice

In April

I will go away

To far off Spain

Or old Bombay

And dream about

Hot soup all day

Oh my oh once

Oh my oh twice

Oh my oh

Chicken soup with rice

In May

I truly think it best

To be a robin

Lightly dressed

Concocting soup

Inside my nest

Mix it once

Mix it twice

Mit that chicken soup

With rice

In June

I saw a charming group

Of roses all begin

To droop

I pepped them up

With chicken soup

Sprinkle once

Sprinkle twice

Sprinkle chicken soup

With rice

In July

I'll take a peep

Into the cool

And fishy deep

Where chicken soup

Is selling cheap

Selling once

Selling twice

Selling chicken soup

With rice

In August

It will be so hot

I will become

A cooking pot

Cooking soup of course

Why not

Cooking once

Cooking twice

Cooking chicken soup

With rice

In September

For a while

I will ride

A crocodile

Down the

Chicken soupy Nile

Paddle once

Paddle twice

Paddle chicken soup

With rice

In October

I'll be host

To witches goblins

And a ghost

I'll serve them

Chicken soup

On toast

Whoopy once

Whoopy twice

Whoopy chicken soup with rice

In November's

Gusty gale

I will flop

My flippy tail

And spout hot soup

I'll be a whale

Spouting once

Spouting twice

Spouting chicken soup

With rice

In December

I will be

A baubled bangled

Christmas tree

With soup bowls

Draped all over me

Merry once

Merry twice

Merry chicken soup

With rice

I told you once

I told you twice

All seasons

Of the year

Are nice

For eating

Chicken soup

With rice
koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Thank you, Bill, for the time it took to submit that poem.

Suresh, I finally made you laugh!!!!!! That is wonderful. It's a true story as well.
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: Thank you, Bill, for the time it took to submit that poem.

Suresh, I finally made you laugh!!!!!! That is wonderful. It's a true story as well.

So my guess was right that story was true.

A good quote I saw on another website - "It is a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - by George Orwell. How do feel about it?
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Suresh Gupta wrote: So my guess was right that story was true.

A good quote I saw on another website - "It is a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - by George Orwell. How do feel about it?

I think it is brilliant. Good ol' George.

I very rarely say anything unless it is the truth. The only exceptions to truth I can think of would be times when I have been in danger and the lie helped me to escape or when I was lying to myself and didn't know the difference. I picked up an excuse for my sometimes brutal honesty, oddly enough, from the movie 'Hook'. Dustin Hoffman says:

"Me? Lie? No, no, no, the truth is far too much fun!"

Another reason for honesty was the film industry and their gossip network. I never say anything about anyone that I wouldn't say to their face. I have been confronted a few times on things people would normally deny. Me, I say "Yeah, that's what I think and this is why." This is probably why I didn't like the industry. Nobody seems comfortable hearing what you really think. It is an industry built on lies and ego stroking.

I heard a group of twentysomething men chatting at a table next to me about how they often lie to their girlfriends. They noticed how, once started, the lie is like that web the proverb speaks of and they eventually forget what the truth was once they get caught up in it. They never made it to the part where they made a decision to stop lying though.

I think that quotation makes for chicken soup because life becomes more enjoyable when you live in truth. Less time maintaining lies, truth is easier to remember, and more time to discover one's Self.
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: I think it is brilliant. Good ol' George.

I very rarely say anything unless it is the truth. The only exceptions to truth I can think of would be times when I have been in danger and the lie helped me to escape or when I was lying to myself and didn't know the difference. I picked up an excuse for my sometimes brutal honesty, oddly enough, from the movie 'Hook'. Dustin Hoffman says:

"Me? Lie? No, no, no, the truth is far too much fun!"

Another reason for honesty was the film industry and their gossip network. I never say anything about anyone that I wouldn't say to their face. I have been confronted a few times on things people would normally deny. Me, I say "Yeah, that's what I think and this is why." This is probably why I didn't like the industry. Nobody seems comfortable hearing what you really think. It is an industry built on lies and ego stroking.

I heard a group of twentysomething men chatting at a table next to me about how they often lie to their girlfriends. They noticed how, once started, the lie is like that web the proverb speaks of and they eventually forget what the truth was once they get caught up in it. They never made it to the part where they made a decision to stop lying though.

I think that quotation makes for chicken soup because life becomes more enjoyable when you live in truth. Less time maintaining lies, truth is easier to remember, and more time to discover one's Self.

"Me? Lie? No, no, no, the truth is far too much fun!" - a beauty indeed.

You would never say anything about anyone that you wouldn't say to their face. Tell me, with this attitude, how popular you are with others?

Hey Koan, have you noticed that you are developing a habit of writing sentences which can be used as quotes? "Truth is easier to remember, and more time to discover one's Self". I like it. Keep it up.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

[QUOTE=Suresh GuptaYou would never say anything about anyone that you wouldn't say to their face. Tell me, with this attitude, how popular you are with others?

Hey Koan, have you noticed that you are developing a habit of writing sentences which can be used as quotes? Truth is easier to remember, and more time to discover one's Self. I like it. Keep it up.

I am more popular than I expected, as I have found out later. I don't go around blurting things at people. I think if I would say it to their face before I express it. I am very thankful for the ability to think before I speak or I wouldn't even have an internet friend! Not popular in the film industry because even gentle honesty is not much appreciated there.

I am glad that you find my thoughts to have value. :-6 I'll do my best, as always.
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: I am more popular than I expected, as I have found out later. I don't go around blurting things at people. I think if I would say it to their face before I express it. I am very thankful for the ability to think before I speak or I wouldn't even have an internet friend! Not popular in the film industry because even gentle honesty is not much appreciated there.

I am very happy to learn that you are more popular than your expectations. By the way what do you do in film industry?

I am glad that you find my thoughts to have value. :-6 I'll do my best, as always.

Keep it up.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Chicken soup from the Zen Cards re "Destiny"

You can look...and you will find it.

You can not look...and you will find it.

That which is yours will surely come to you.

So there is no worry. Even if we don't know what we are looking for. We will not be lost forever.
koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Suresh Gupta wrote: By the way what do you do in film industry?

I did do makeup and special makeup effects in film now I am a carpenter and much happier.
Tombstone

Chicken soup

Post by Tombstone »

koan wrote: I did do makeup and special makeup effects in film now I am a carpenter and much happier.

That counts for more than anything!
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: I did do makeup and special makeup effects in film now I am a carpenter and much happier.

It is nice that you are happy with your work. It is reflected in your posts.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: Chicken soup from the Zen Cards re "Destiny"

You can look...and you will find it.

You can not look...and you will find it.

That which is yours will surely come to you.

So there is no worry. Even if we don't know what we are looking for. We will not be lost forever.

Yes there should be no worry as what is yours will surely come to you. But one must do his Karma (action).
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Suresh Gupta wrote: Yes there should be no worry as what is yours will surely come to you. But one must do his Karma (action).

You have mentioned Karma "action" before. Instead of just asking you to clarify this, can you find a few quotations or adages that explains or describes this?

On a humorous note, I quote KlatunIckto hopefully with his permission.

"My Karma ran over my Dogma years ago" :driving: :wah:
koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

A little more "chicken soup" from Robert Fulghum All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten

Share everything.

Play fair.

Don't hit people.

Put things back where you found them.

Clean up your own mess.

Don't take things that aren't yours.

Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.

Wash your hands before you eat.

Flush.

Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and dance and play and work every day some.

Take a nap every afternoon.

When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands and stick together.
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: A little more "chicken soup" from Robert Fulghum All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten

Share everything.

Play fair.

Don't hit people.

Put things back where you found them.

Clean up your own mess.

Don't take things that aren't yours.

Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.

Wash your hands before you eat.

Flush.

Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and dance and play and work every day some.

Take a nap every afternoon.

When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands and stick together.

Do they really read all this in KG?

Their memory must be very short. By the time they reached the adulthood they have forgetten it. They again need all this teaching.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: You have mentioned Karma "action" before. Instead of just asking you to clarify this, can you find a few quotations or adages that explains or describes this?

On a humorous note, I quote KlatunIckto hopefully with his permission.

"My Karma ran over my Dogma years ago" :driving: :wah:

Karma is caused by Dogma, it can never run over it.

I will try to explain Karma but you will have to wait. Karma Yoga is not very simple to explain at least for a person of common intelligence. You have to be a master of karma Yoga.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: You have mentioned Karma "action" before. Instead of just asking you to clarify this, can you find a few quotations or adages that explains or describes this?....

Karma means in simple language - Do your duty to the best of your ability without worrying about the results. A farmer has control over how he works his land, yet he has no control over the harvest. But, he cannot expect a harvest if he does not work his land.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Suresh Gupta wrote: Karma means in simple language - Do your duty to the best of your ability without worrying about the results. A farmer has control over how he works his land, yet he has no control over the harvest. But, he cannot expect a harvest if he does not work his land.

This is a good way to assist the universe in bringing into one's life that which is desired. It is annoying, at the least, when people sit on their butts and complain about how life isn't "fair". Asking is not enough. One must participate in the getting. Could you explain Karma Yoga practice under "Yoga"?

Yes. My daughter learned all those things in Kindergarten and they are still being reminded of the principles in Grade 4. I do not know at what point people think these guidelines should be forgotten but I am glad Mr. Fulghum was here to remind us.
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: ...........Could you explain Karma Yoga practice under "Yoga"?......

Yoga means 'to join'. Karma Yoga means 'your actions to join you with God'.

Karma Yoga says - Do not expect fruits for the action which you do. You have a right over your actions but no right over its fruits. It will be decided by God. The result may not be to your liking, but He has taken it in your interest. You have a limited vision. You do not know what happened before this life, and what will happen after this life. But He knows all. He has given you fruits of your actions seeing all and leaving nothing. Have faith in Him and surrender to Him.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Compiled by H Jackson Brown, Jr.

What We've Learned...So Far

When you jump down stairs, take your hands out of your pockets.

-Philip, age 11

Don't mess with a kid that beat you up already.

-Donny, age 10

No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

-Laura, age 13

Never tell your mom her diet isn't working.

-Joey, age 10

I know there are angels around me protecting me, but sometimes I feel like they are off duty.

-Mindy, age 12

Don't expect the toothfairy to always come, sometimes she's broke.

-Jeffrey, age 8

more to come...
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote:

When you jump down stairs, take your hands out of your pockets.

-Philip, age 11

Don't mess with a kid that beat you up already.

-Donny, age 10

No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

-Laura, age 13

Never tell your mom her diet isn't working.

-Joey, age 10

I know there are angels around me protecting me, but sometimes I feel like they are off duty.

-Mindy, age 12

Don't expect the toothfairy to always come, sometimes she's broke.

-Jeffrey, age 8

Nice quotes. Have you ever thought how these quotes originate?

Also have you ever tried to analyze a quote? Most of the time it is very interesting. Let me give you an example.

"When you jump down stairs, take your hands out of your pockets." - Why one should jump down the stairs when one can climb down step by step? Does it mean that one has to wear a dress before jumping which has pockets otherwise how one will take hands out of the pockets? Whose hands and whose pockets, as quote is not saying whether you jump alone or with someone? If one uses lift then should one jump out of the lift? .............
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Suresh Gupta wrote: Nice quotes. Have you ever thought how these quotes originate?

In this case, the children were asked "What have you learned so far?" Some are humorous on the level that you know they have tried to do these things others are sweet and most likely are remembered from a wise parent's comment to them. Often it is the way a child makes sense of things in such simple ways that is touching, "out of the mouths of babes...."

I analyse everything.

To take one's hands from one's pockets implies, to me, to maintain your ability to protect yourself if you take a tumble. If wearing clothes with pockets, the clothes represent your false self making it easier to fall, if one is naked, not hiding one's self then there are no pockets to hide in and one's hands can not be trapped. It is rather fun to take it at face value as well.

more...

Remember that giving doesn't count if you don't want what you're giving away.

-Lois, age 11

Always try, even when you don't think it will help.

Jennifer, age 11

When you are wearing overalls with one strap down, be careful when you are going to the bathroom.

-Nathan, age 10

Never eat a Butterfinger in front of a hungry dog.

-Charlie, age 11

Sometimes you should shut your mouth and open your mind.

-Chris, age 10

Listen to your brain, it has lots of information.

-Chelsea, age 7

When you want to cheer up yourself, try cheering up someone else.

-Heather, age 12

If I could learn from all my mistakes, I'd be a genius.

-Connie, age 13
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: In this case, the children were asked "What have you learned so far?" Some are humorous on the level that you know they have tried to do these things others are sweet and most likely are remembered from a wise parent's comment to them. Often it is the way a child makes sense of things in such simple ways that is touching, "out of the mouths of babes...."

What I meant was how these quotes originate for the first time. There must be some situations which provided the fodder to people who created them

I analyse everything.

To take one's hands from one's pockets implies, to me, to maintain your ability to protect yourself if you take a tumble. If wearing clothes with pockets, the clothes represent your false self making it easier to fall, if one is naked, not hiding one's self then there are no pockets to hide in and one's hands can not be trapped. It is rather fun to take it at face value as well.

Yoy really take them at their face value. Does it mean that one should always be proactive?

More.......

Let me try to understand some:

"Remember that giving doesn't count if you don't want what you're giving away. -Lois, age 11" - Does it mean that one shoyld give what one like the most?

"Always try, even when you don't think it will help. - Jennifer, age 11 - Being optimistic?

"When you are wearing overalls with one strap down, be careful when you are going to the bathroom. - -Nathan, age 10" - Being cautious?

"Sometimes you should shut your mouth and open your mind. -Chris, age 10" Always desirable.

"Listen to your brain, it has lots of information. -Chelsea, age 7" - Not onlt listen but logically analyze.

"When you want to cheer up yourself, try cheering up someone else. - -Heather, age 12" - Thisis the best.

"If I could learn from all my mistakes, I'd be a genius. - -Connie, age 13" - Second best.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Suresh Gupta wrote: What I meant was how these quotes originate for the first time. There must be some situations which provided the fodder to people who created them

Yoy really take them at their face value. Does it mean that one should always be proactive?

The way I "analysed" it: You only need to worry about falling when you are untrue. At face value: Be ready to catch yourself if you do something likely to result in falling.

Let me try to understand some:

"Remember that giving doesn't count if you don't want what you're giving away. -Lois, age 11" - Does it mean that one shoyld give what one like the most?

Perhaps. That would be almost saintly. One could just make sure that one isn't calling a "gift" what is actually "junk" in one's own mind, merely trying to save a trip to the dump and calling it an act of kindness.

"Always try, even when you don't think it will help. - Jennifer, age 11 - Being optimistic?

Or, Always do your best.

"When you are wearing overalls with one strap down, be careful when you are going to the bathroom. - -Nathan, age 10" - Being cautious?

Or, be aware of your weaknesses.

"Sometimes you should shut your mouth and open your mind. -Chris, age 10" Always desirable.

Agreed.

"Listen to your brain, it has lots of information. -Chelsea, age 7" - Not onlt listen but logically analyze.

Don't always look outside of your Self for that which is within.

"When you want to cheer up yourself, try cheering up someone else. - -Heather, age 12" - Thisis the best.

Also agreed.

"If I could learn from all my mistakes, I'd be a genius. - -Connie, age 13" - Second best.

If at first we don't succeed....

Don't be discouraged if you are not always perfect on the first try.

-Jenna, age 10

Always wear a hat while feeding seagulls.

-Rocky, age 9

Being popular doesn't make you happy, but being happy makes you popular.

-Jaclyn, age 12

It's always easier to stay out of trouble than to get out of trouble.

-Gilbert, age 10
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: ]If at first we don't succeed....

Don't be discouraged if you are not always perfect on the first try.

-Jenna, age 10

The positive attitude.

Always wear a hat while feeding seagulls. -Rocky, age 9

You will have to help me here. I am at a loss to understand.

Being popular doesn't make you happy, but being happy makes you popular. -Jaclyn, age 12

A good one which most of the people do not understand.

It's always easier to stay out of trouble than to get out of trouble. -Gilbert, age 10

It is yet another good one.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

The bird one is a "learn from my mistake" kinda thought.

It could also be said, If you venture into a fire zone, expect to be hit by a stray bullet - or at least be prepared for it.

It could also summarize trying to help people - don't be surprised if they s*** on you. In this case a negative but a common reality. Not that you shouldn't feed the birds...just be prepared.
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: The bird one is a "learn from my mistake" kinda thought.

It could also be said, If you venture into a fire zone, expect to be hit by a stray bullet - or at least be prepared for it.

It could also summarize trying to help people - don't be surprised if they s*** on you. In this case a negative but a common reality. Not that you shouldn't feed the birds...just be prepared.

What harm may come from seagulls and how the hat will prevent it?

In managenment practices there is a concept, "Plan-Do-Check-Act'. Does it mean 'Plan before Doing'?
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Plan-Do-Check-Act? :wah: :wah:

Sound like a really rough translation. Could mean think before you act. In business more likely to relate to strategizing before you present a plan...think of how to put a plan in action before implementing it. Hard to be sure what is meant by the original saying since I think the original saying was lost.

The hat prevents the crap from landing on your head.

More soup to warm you:

Never stand in a bucket of water and touch an electric fence just because your brother tells you to.

-Melissa, age 13

It's OK to fail, but it is not OK to give up.

-Kate, age 8

You can do things that get you in trouble, but sometimes it's worth it.

-Jack, age 8

Pray for your enemies instead of fighting them. It will help both them and you.

-Misty, age 11

Once you put your quarter in the machine and turn the knob, you realize that your quarter was better than the thing you got.

-Natalie, age 9
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: Plan-Do-Check-Act? :wah: :wah:

Sound like a really rough translation. Could mean think before you act. In business more likely to relate to strategizing before you present a plan...think of how to put a plan in action before implementing it. Hard to be sure what is meant by the original saying since I think the original saying was lost.

The hat prevents the crap from landing on your head.

Not only business management but it is helpful in self-management also. One can apply this concept in his/her day-to-day life.

More soup to warm you:

"Never stand in a bucket of water and touch an electric fence just because your brother tells you to. -Melissa, age 13" - Take your own decisions.

"It's OK to fail, but it is not OK to give up. -Kate, age 8" - Yes that should be the spirit. A positive attitude.

"You can do things that get you in trouble, but sometimes it's worth it. -Jack, age 8" - Yes, there are such situations. A positive attitude again.

"Pray for your enemies instead of fighting them. It will help both them and you.

-Misty, age 11"- Oh, this wonderful. Love not war. Praying for your enemies will make you a saint as it is very difficult to practice.

"Once you put your quarter in the machine and turn the knob, you realize that your quarter was better than the thing you got. - Natalie, age 9 - Does it not depend on what machine and what is its output?
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

"Once you put your quarter in the machine and turn the knob, you realize that your quarter was better than the thing you got. - Natalie, age 9 - Does it not depend on what machine and what is its output?

I take it as a comment on lowball modern advertising. The picture on the outside of the vending machine usually looks much bigger and better than the thing that comes out. It is the disappointment. If there were no picture there would be no disappointment just the pleasure of a surprise.
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: I take it as a comment on lowball modern advertising. The picture on the outside of the vending machine usually looks much bigger and better than the thing that comes out. It is the disappointment. If there were no picture there would be no disappointment just the pleasure of a surprise.

It is clear now. Thanks.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Adages can be the most difficult to interprete. Here are a few. (Would love to hear the Hindu translations :wah: )

Advice is least heeded when most needed.

English Proverb

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box.

Italian Proverb

Be slow in choosing a friend, but slower in changing him.

Scottish Proverb

Beware of a man of one book.

English Proverb

Call on God, but row away from the rocks.

Indian Proverb

Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends.

Czech Proverb

Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance.

Biblical Proverb

Eating while seated makes one of large size; eating while standing makes one strong.

Hindu Proverb

Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses.

Chinese Proverb

He who hurries can not walk with dignity.

Chinese Proverb

Just making my way through the alphabet.
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: Adages can be the most difficult to interpret. Here are a few. (Would love to hear the Hindu translations :wah: )

A difficult assignment. Let me try:

Advice is least heeded when most needed (English Proverb) - This is the irony of human nature. We have one - 'One does not remember Him in good days'. But if one remembers Him in good days bad days will not come.

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box (Italian Proverb) - After death everybody is same, no king no pawn. For Him all are equal. We create inequality and suffer for it.

Be slow in choosing a friend, but slower in changing him (Scottish Proverb) - A good friend is hard to find. Don't be in a hurry to make friends. If you get one then stick to him. God is the best friend. Choose Him and don't change Him.

Beware of a man of one book (English Proverb) - Incomplete knowledge is harmful.

Call on God, but row away from the rocks (Indian Proverb) - Path of God rearlization is full of distractions, keep away from them or else you will be lost.

Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends (Czech Proverb) - A good friend is the best shield. He will protect you at all times with his all might.

Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance (Biblical Proverb) - One should not cut himself off from his roots or else he will be like a leaf cut off fron the branch.

Eating while seated makes one of large size; eating while standing makes one strong (Hindu Proverb) = I am confused. There is no such proverb in Hindi. It is considered bad to eat while standing.

Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses (Chinese Proverb) - Even in your bad days help others who need your help.

He who hurries can not walk with dignity (Chinese Proverb) - One should watch for time and place before taking action.

Did I pass?
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Well done, Suresh.

There are a lot of people who use sayings who don't really know what they mean. Sometimes they even take on a new wrongful meaning because of popular misusage. I am not an adage expert, some still confuse me. There are a few that I have a different concept of . BTW I put the Hindu saying in there because I thought it sounded odd, was hoping you might recognize it as a mistranslation and have a laugh back at me.

Advice is least heeded when most needed (English Proverb) Sometimes the person who needs the most advice is the only one not listening.

Call on God, but row away from the rocks (Indian Proverb) Trust in God but do what you can to help save yourself as well. -Don't ask God to do ALL the work.

Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance (Biblical Proverb) You can't run away from problems, it only makes them more difficult and they do not go away.

Eating while seated makes one of large size; eating while standing makes one strong (Hindu Proverb) I think it is a bad translation. Can't be literal so I can only imagine it refers to eating as receiving and then not taking action. It would be preferable to be in a position (standing) to make use of the nourishment and to contribute more readily. Again, odd saying, I don't think they got it right.

Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses (Chinese Proverb) Don't hold a grudge.

Do you have better Hindu sayings? I feel kind of bad for sticking that one in now. I'll look for some other ones too.
Paula

Chicken soup

Post by Paula »

Turkey Soup comin up soon, hahahahahaha :wah: :wah:
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: Well done, Suresh.There are a lot of people who use sayings who don't really know what they mean. Sometimes they even take on a new wrongful meaning because of popular misusage. I am not an adage expert, some still confuse me. There are a few that I have a different concept of . BTW I put the Hindu saying in there because I thought it sounded odd, was hoping you might recognize it as a mistranslation and have a laugh back at me.

Thanks Koan

Advice is least heeded when most needed (English Proverb) - Sometimes the person who needs the most advice is the only one not listening - We have a saying, Blowing trumpet to a buffello.

Call on God, but row away from the rocks (Indian Proverb) - Trust in God but do what you can to help save yourself as well. - Don't ask God to do ALL the work - Indian saying, God does not help those who do not help themselves.

Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance - You can't run away from problems, it only makes them more difficult and they do not go away - I believe that one has to face a problem, if you run away from it the problem will keep coming with increased intensity.

Eating while seated makes one of large size; eating while standing makes one strong (Hindu Proverb) - I think it is a bad translation. Can't be literal so I can only imagine it refers to eating as receiving and then not taking action. It would be preferable to be in a position (standing) to make use of the nourishment and to contribute more readily. Again, odd saying, I don't think they got it right. - We believe that while eating one should not talk. One should also not have any bad thoughts while eating. It amounts to insulting the food and the God who had given it it to us to keep our body strong. Hindus pray and offer food to the God before taking it.

Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses - Don't hold a grudge. - Hindus believe that forgiveness is the best service of God.

Let me give you some self-management sayings:

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for "

"You are only an attitude away from success"

"Give to the world the best you have and the best will come back to you"
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

Paula wrote: Turkey Soup comin up soon, hahahahahaha :wah: :wah:

Who is cooking?
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Suresh, :D

Have to admit "Blowing trumpet to a buffalo" was my favourite.

The self management sayings are very wise. Don't really need interpretation...which is often a good thing in business.

Here are some things that kids said, thinking about bad translations,

Compiled by Alexander Abington:

Double dealing is when you buy something wholesale and sell it retail.

Faith is that quality which enables us to believe what we know to be untrue.

A prodigal is the son of a priest.

An interval in music is the distance from one piano to the next.

The Esquimaux are God's frozen people.

The people in Iceland are Equinoxes.

The law of gravity was enacted by British Parliament.

Mushrooms always grow in damp places and so they look like umbrellas.

The battle of Trafalgar was fought on sea, therefore it is sometimes called Waterloo.

Where was the Declaration of Independence signed?

On the bottom.

The plural of forget-me-not is forget-us-not.

Return to “Body, Mind, Soul”