Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Ms Scarlett

Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt

Post by Ms Scarlett »

Hello everyone

I'm thinking of going on a package holiday to Sharm el Sheikh next year, mainly because the scuba diving is supposed to be out of this world and I'm a PADI qualified diver. I found a great deal yesterday but then someone said that it's a really horrible resort. Just a load of tacky hotels and bars in the middle of the desert. So, I was wondering if any of you guys had been and what you thought of it.

Also, does anyone have any good tips about similar places to go? I need somewhere that's hot in Jan/Feb, that's not ridiculously far away from the Uk and where I can have a fun filled adventure holiday, including diving, horse riding, walking, swimming etc etc. Any ideas gratefully received! :-6
sherry

Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt

Post by sherry »

Sharm el Sheikh is lovely, the diving is wonderful.

The hotels I stayed in have been fantastic, so clean and wonderful people as well.

You're not going to get any history to the place as it really is just a holiday resort mainly for the diving and relaxing

Have you thought of Dubia?
Ms Scarlett

Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt

Post by Ms Scarlett »

Mmm, not sure about Dubai. I like to relax with a cocktail of an evening. I went through the airport once on the way to somewhere else and didn't really appreciate being told to cover up my arms.

What would you say Sharm is like for single people? Is it just totally full of families and couples or single friendly? I'm warming to the idea. It does sound ideal for diving and other adventure type stuff but I'm just wary of going somewhere mega tacky for my one and only holiday of the year!
Bothwell

Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt

Post by Bothwell »

I am afraid I would not care how good the diving is I would not be visiting any of these countries in the near future. Westerners in the so called "friendly" Gulf states are a much softer target than elsewhere.

I have visited plenty of "hotspots" through work but it was always short trips and well policed by the locals, a weeks holiday is a different matter IMO, Sorry to be a killjoy but there you go.

There is actually a series on Sky tv called Dubai Dreams, people buying up villas etc in Dubai, oh how I laughed, mark my words the "Dream" that these people seek will become a nightmare and it's not too far away.
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
jasmund

Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt

Post by jasmund »

Hey,

Do I have a book for you, it's a true story, and of course about scubba, and I e-mailed the author 1/2 way throught the book telling them I went on line to find out more about what they had discovered and they replied with more facts and stories. Now thats a real down to earth human being. Remember, life is not a guarentee, you never know when tomorrow wont come, if you have the chance to go , and want to, go. Check with travel agencies on the quality of hotels, food etc. and see if you can do virtual tours on line. Remember to stock up on anti-diarreah meds etc, because alot of water in other countries are questionable with parasites, even the bottle stuff. As long as there is not a goverment coue going and you arent in danger, go, and the experience whatever the outcome will last a lifetime of memories.

Let me know If you go...............................................

Thanks Jasmund

If you want this book let me know.
jasmund

Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt

Post by jasmund »

Oops-

Forgot to let you know, that I will check with some of my fellow pharmacists that I work with, thats the wonderful thing about the U.S. I know several individuals from around the world that work for our company , I work with Sharad today and I will ask him and get back to ya as soon as I can.

-Remember try to get more info on line.
Ms Scarlett

Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt

Post by Ms Scarlett »

I'm really not that bothered about the whole bombing thing because, if you worry about it, you might as well not go anywhere. There's no guarantees anywhere you go. If I was worried about bombs, I wouldn't have gone to London the week after the bombs in July but you can't put your life on hold because of these nutters.

I've actually just been to the library to read up on it and it basically seems like it's a pretty tacky sort of place, designed for package tourists from Europe who want to dive. It does seem like it's got some of the best diving in the world which is my main interest so I think I'm going to go. I'm only going for a week so I suppose I can survive its tackiness for that long. I've been to a few 3rd world countries so that part of it doesn't phase me either. I survived 3 weeks in India so this should be a piece of cake! As I'm only going for a week or two and going on my own, I think a package is the easiest option and Sharm is probably one of the best places to do it. I hope!....

So, what's the name of this book then?

If anyone's actually been, I'd be really interested to hear what you thought of it.
LilacDragon

Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt

Post by LilacDragon »

My husband was on a Peacekeeping mission there last year and it is high on his list of places to avoid in the future. Right behind Iraq, I believe. :D
Sandi

Ms Scarlett

Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt

Post by Ms Scarlett »

No way! Seriously? Why is it such a high profile target?
LilacDragon

Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt

Post by LilacDragon »

Ms Scarlett wrote: No way! Seriously? Why is it such a high profile target?

No, not at all. Probably one of the safest places he could go. He just was sooooo not impressed.
Sandi

Ms Scarlett

Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt

Post by Ms Scarlett »

Oh, right! Why, what didn't he like about it?
LilacDragon

Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt

Post by LilacDragon »

Hot, windy, sandy, dogs barking, to much touristy stuff, all the women at the nude beach were "old" and didn't shave...........

He wasn't there on vacation, so that may have been a big part of it - no fancy hotel or anything like that for him.
Sandi

sherry

Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt

Post by sherry »

I must agree with the dogs barking actually, they were doing that when I have been.

Have you thought of going to Hurghada? I must admit I prefer it to sharm el Sheikh.

My in laws have just come back from Croatia and said that it is beautiful and that the diving around there is supposed to be pretty good as well from what they were told.

Return to “Travel Vacation”