Great Household Tips

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Valerie100

Great Household Tips

Post by Valerie100 »

I just found this Old-Timers website on the Internet, for old-time household hints.

Alcohol -- rubbing alcohol -- works great on mold in the shower! I was able to use a soft cloth with alcohol, and it was wiping right off. Awesome!!!

What are some of your tried and true housecleaning tips?
lady cop

Great Household Tips

Post by lady cop »

well i am no whiz, but i hate clutter. i keep my house looking neat, if not sterile. ;) i will say the mr. clean magic erasers are fantastic! i would like to hear the old-time tips Valerie the first. :D
lady cop

Great Household Tips

Post by lady cop »

i hate cats. the neighborhood cats come in my house and i take them for a little ride. don't get mad snooze, at least i don't shoot them. :wah: we have an awful feral cats situation here. :(
BTS

Great Household Tips

Post by BTS »

garbage disposal smells . . .

Scour food particles from the walls and blades, and remove unpleasant odors with this trick: Combine 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup water, pour into ice cube trays, and freeze. Remove the cubes and grind them in the disposal, then flush with water for 1 minute. Grind some lemon or orange peels for a pleasant fragrance, too.

Carpet Frshner

1 cup crushed dried herbs (such as rosemary, southernwood, or lavender)

1 teaspoon ground cloves

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 teaspoons baking soda

Combine all the ingredients in a large jar or other container with a tight-fitting lid. Shake well to blend. Sprinkle some of the mixture on your carpet, let it sit for an hour or so, and then vacuum it up. It will give the room a pleasant smell and neutralize carpet odors.

Mildew Remover

1 tablespoon powdered laundry detergent

1 quart chlorine bleach

2 quarts water

Combine all the ingredients in a pail. Wearing rubber gloves, wash off the mildew.
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
CARLA

Great Household Tips

Post by CARLA »

Windex is a great counter top cleaner and disinfects as well. I love MR. CLEAN MAGIC ERASERS great on every surface.

To get scuff marks of walls and floors finger nail polish remover on a Q-Tip works great.. that way you just do the area in need..!! :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

ComfortablyNumb

Great Household Tips

Post by ComfortablyNumb »

Professionals use coca cola to clean toilets. Scary
Valerie100

Great Household Tips

Post by Valerie100 »

LC, I can't find the website again, and I didn't save it. I found it on Lycos, though. :-5

I try to keep my place as clean as possible, too. I'm ripping my place apart this weekend.

I was so amazed at how easily mold lifts in the shower with alcohol. That's why I had to post it here. On some cleaning methods, those old-timers really knew their stuff!
lady cop

Great Household Tips

Post by lady cop »

Valerie100 wrote: LC, I can't find the website again, and I didn't save it. which website?

Return to “General Chit Chat”