Hi from Joe

New member introductions. Tell us a little about yourself. Then, click on "Blogs" above and start your own personal blog!
Joe

Hi from Joe

Post by Joe »

Hi everyone,

My name is Joe (as you can see!)

I live in Lowestoft, England.

I joined this forum in December 2005. I'm looking for a place to discuss stuff & share ideas (same as the rest of you, eh?).:)

It's a big place here, & I haven't looked round everywhere yet. But I look forward to seeing more of what you have to offer. This is a huge site, so I'm sure I can find some topics to join in with.

I may have a few questions as well, I hope that's OK? Please forgive me if they're covered elsewhere, I guess I'll find them soon if they are! But I'm not very good with computers, so please be gentle with me if I miss them at first.

This is a test post, so I won't say more until I've seen if it works!
chonsigirl

Hi from Joe

Post by chonsigirl »

Hi there Joe! Did I pass the test!

*raising hand in back of the classroom*

Welcome to FG!
Joe

Hi from Joe

Post by Joe »

Yayyy :D that post worked!

OK, a bit more about me.

My hobbies are photography & playing the violin. I'm also interested in history.

I run a forum of my own (am I allowed to say that here?) It was built for me so I can post my photos to it, & have an online presence, which I value as I like talking to people on the internet. The link to my forums is

http://www.seelowestoft.com/cgi-bin/blah/Blah.pl

I'm very untechy in computer matters. Even easy stuff makes me go :confused:

I'm diabetic, on insulin, & have been so for 23 years now. I look forward to medical advances making a cure possible, but I don't think this will happen in my lifetime.

Err... what else can I say? Give me time, & I'll think of something!
chonsigirl

Hi from Joe

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, I play the violin and piano. Do you play classical, or more modern pieces?
Nomad

Hi from Joe

Post by Nomad »

Joe wrote: Hi everyone,

My name is Joe (as you can see!)

I live in Lowestoft, England.

I joined this forum in December 2005. I'm looking for a place to discuss stuff & share ideas (same as the rest of you, eh?).:)

It's a big place here, & I haven't looked round everywhere yet. But I look forward to seeing more of what you have to offer. This is a huge site, so I'm sure I can find some topics to join in with.

I may have a few questions as well, I hope that's OK? Please forgive me if they're covered elsewhere, I guess I'll find them soon if they are! But I'm not very good with computers, so please be gentle with me if I miss them at first.

This is a test post, so I won't say more until I've seen if it works!

I knew a Joe in the 3rd grade. Were you in the 3rd grade by chance ? If you were WHOA ! Nice to see ya old buddy, whatcha been up to ? :-6
I AM AWESOME MAN
Joe

Hi from Joe

Post by Joe »

Hey! a reply already, thanks, chonsigirl.:D

I learnt classical, & went though all the UK Associate Board grades. I've played in orchestras, chamber groups & solo. There isn't an orchestra where I live now, so now I play folk music & swing music. I love the playing of Stephan Grappelli, Joe Vennuti (spelling?) & others like that, & I enjoy 'jam sessions' in a cosy local pub, it's relaxing & a great way to unwind.

What sort of music do you play? Violin AND piano, hey, I'm impressed. I'd love to play piano too. And where do you live? Not that we'll probably ever meet, but it's nice to know.
chonsigirl

Hi from Joe

Post by chonsigirl »

I am in Baltimore, Maryland. I play classical, church music and modern. I learned piano when I was 7, violin when I was 26. Now I am a music director, and play all and lead all!:wah:

I usually at home play classical, Chopin, Beethoven, Bach, Handel on piano. For violin, Vivaldi is my very favorite.
G-man

Hi from Joe

Post by G-man »

Heya Joe... whaddya' know? :D

Baltimore? You're not far from me Chonsi. :)

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Joe

Hi from Joe

Post by Joe »

Hey, loads MORE posts!!! :D :D

I've just changed how to view this thread so all replies are under each other & you can read them by scrolling down. When I did that I saw all the other posts. It's like you were all waiting to welcome me.:D

Hi EVERYONE, hey this is a really friendly site. I ought to go to bed, it's 2.15am here, but it's nice to say hi to everyone, I just wanted to do that before I go.

Thanks everyone, I'll try & get back to you all tomorrow.
Nomad

Hi from Joe

Post by Nomad »

Welcome Joe. Id love to hear more about your music. Come back this is a very nice place with the cream of the crop as members.

Brian
I AM AWESOME MAN
chonsigirl

Hi from Joe

Post by chonsigirl »

G-man wrote: Heya Joe... whaddya' know? :D

Baltimore? You're not far from me Chonsi. :)

Nope, just a hop-skip-and a jump away!:)
Joe

Hi from Joe

Post by Joe »

Far Rider wrote: Joe? Is that you? Man its been a long time! How the heck are ya?:D

Eh? Do you know me? Hey, it would be really cool to meet someone here who knows me from 'real life' (ie not on the internet).

This site looks like it's going to be even better than I hoped.:D All these replies, & not having to wait at all!

Now I want to reply to everyone, but it's 2.30am here & I ought to get some kip. But I'll be back tomorrow.

Thanks, everyone.
lady cop

Hi from Joe

Post by lady cop »

hi Joe and welcome...you seem like a really nice young man. :-6
Valerie100

Hi from Joe

Post by Valerie100 »

Welcome back, Joe! I'm newer to the FG. I guess it's only been about four months.

By the way, there are two Valeries! :)
mominiowa

Hi from Joe

Post by mominiowa »

Hey there JOE! Welcome to our forum!! Its a really great place...They call me MOM---don't be naughty cuz I can set u in the corner ya know! Moms do that..........:D

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
Wolverine

Hi from Joe

Post by Wolverine »

Run, Joe! RUN!!!!

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

abbey

Hi from Joe

Post by abbey »

Hiya Joe welcome to FG
Nomad

Hi from Joe

Post by Nomad »

Far Rider wrote: Your name is Brian? Oh darn, I just took you off my "man about town" list. Youre back on the regular "hell of a guy list", you been demoted. I'd encourage you not to screw up any further.. I'd hate to stick you on my "just a good ol dude" list.

Your getting grinchier. What happens on X mas eve ? Fireworks ? Your head explodes ? :D
I AM AWESOME MAN
Joe

Hi from Joe

Post by Joe »

A big thankyou to everyone who's posted warm welcomes. You people are great. I'm so glad I joined. Thanks very much, to everyone.

I couln't sleep last night so I had a look in some of the threads. Hey, you've got EVERYTHING covered here! This is like an encyclopedia of human experiences.

OK, now for some questions (which I didn't see in the fAQ threads, sorry if they were there & I missed them).

1.) Is it possible to post your own picture as an avatar? I saw all the clipart pictures you can use, but can you import your own picture & use that? If so, how do you do it?

2.) Is it possible to post photos to the threads (or just to the albums)? Also is it possible to link photo attachments to forum posts from another website so you can talk about them in the threads?

I hope someone can help with those.

Now I've got a bit more reading to do...:D
nvalleyvee

Hi from Joe

Post by nvalleyvee »

Joe wrote: A big thankyou to everyone who's posted warm welcomes. You people are great. I'm so glad I joined. Thanks very much, to everyone.

I couln't sleep last night so I had a look in some of the threads. Hey, you've got EVERYTHING covered here! This is like an encyclopedia of human experiences.

OK, now for some questions (which I didn't see in the fAQ threads, sorry if they were there & I missed them).

1.) Is it possible to post your own picture as an avatar? I saw all the clipart pictures you can use, but can you import your own picture & use that? If so, how do you do it?

2.) Is it possible to post photos to the threads (or just to the albums)? Also is it possible to link photo attachments to forum posts from another website so you can talk about them in the threads?

I hope someone can help with those.

Now I've got a bit more reading to do...:D

You have to be supporting member to post your own avatar.

You can post pictures - if you want people to actually see them - you need to make them small enough through a software program - (like paintshop) - I am NOT advertising a program. When you reply to a post go to management of attachments to do this.

Most people post the link to particular items.

AND welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
ELF

Hi from Joe

Post by ELF »

Are you reading Christmas stories, Joe?
Betty Boop

Hi from Joe

Post by Betty Boop »

Hello and Welcome to the Garden Joe :-6
santa

Hi from Joe

Post by santa »

Nomad wrote: Your getting grinchier. What happens on X mas eve ? Fireworks ? Your head explodes ? :D

Ho-ho-ho, welcome Joe. Nomad, poor Santa doesn't do down the chimney head first, I go down legs first. Never got stuck yet!
ComfortablyNumb

Hi from Joe

Post by ComfortablyNumb »

Hey Joe ...

How's Lowie at this time of year? Used to know a Joe in Northampton who played Grappelli. Small world.

Be Well.
Joe

Hi from Joe

Post by Joe »

nvalleyvee wrote: You have to be supporting member to post your own avatar.

Thanks for that info, but now another question! What's a 'supporting member', please? Is that like a form of moderator, who helps new members? Or is it someone who pays for the privilidge, ie supports this site financially? Or is it someone who has made over a set number of posts, ie a rank above 'junior' which is what I am at the moment? Or is it something different to all of those?

nvalleyvee wrote: You can post pictures - if you want people to actually see them - you need to make them small enough through a software program - (like paintshop) - I am NOT advertising a program. When you reply to a post go to management of attachments to do this.

Most people post the link to particular items.

AND welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I'm going to just try posting a picture by linking to it. Guess I should have tried that first, before asking! I'll try using various tags first, like img and /img, that seems to work on other sites. Yes, if that doesn't work a link would do it. I'll assume a photo size of up to about 75kb. I didn't see 'management of attachments' when I was replying before, because it was below my screen view. Hey, all the replies to this thread are below there too. OK, lets see what happens!
Joe

Hi from Joe

Post by Joe »

This is a mugshot of me. I'm posting this to see if the site software has a screen crack prevention built into it. If it doesn't show maybe the site has decided to protect you all. I've already been told my mug would crack a mirror & a camera lens!

It's nice to know who you're talking to. I'm not posting this because I have a Narcissus complex! Some people asked if I was a Joe they knew, well now they can see. Am I? :D

Joe

Hi from Joe

Post by Joe »

ELF wrote: Are you reading Christmas stories, Joe?

No, Elf, just this site. Well, yes, if Christmas posts are here too!

I remember seeing someone having a 'bah, humbug' comment in their signature here. Christmas can bring a range of emotions to different people. To some it's a wonderful time of year, to some it's a stressful busy one, & to others it can be an ordeal to go through. Maybe there's a Christmas thread on this site? It would be a good topic to discuss because it can mean so many different things to different people. Hey, maybe I could start another new topic if no one's already done so.

The book I'm actually reading at the moment is called 'Judas, my Brother', by Frank Yerby. This link says a bit about the story, if you're interested.

Joe

Hi from Joe

Post by Joe »

ComfortablyNumb wrote: Hey Joe ...

How's Lowie at this time of year? Used to know a Joe in Northampton who played Grappelli. Small world.

Be Well.

Hi ComfortablyNumb. (would insert wavey smiley here, but can't find one),

Lowie is cold, raining most of the time, & full of roadworks.

Do you know the town? The main things happenng here at the moment are the construction of a big new Southern Relief Road through the top of the town, & the opening of a new Asda store in a new retail park, on the site of where Richards Shipbuilding used to be.

As far as I know, there's no one else playing Grappelli type violin round here, so that makes us unique offering it.:D But maybe that's because no one likes that particular genre in these parts, but I hope not! Swing seems popular everywhere, & the songs, chords & melodies are so clever & easy to listen to that we're hoping for a lot of demand. My only worry is that people will know Grappelli, & he's a genius, he's a lot to live up to! But it is great fun to play, especially when it's the fiddle solo, & you can extemporise all round the melody & chords, I love doing that!
Joe

Hi from Joe

Post by Joe »

And now another in my series of Questions to the Knowledgeable.

1.) Am I the only one here posting under my real name? I've noticed pretty much everyone here so far seems to have made up a 'fun' name. Is this for a form of internet security or is it just that everyone likes to be anonymous? Should I change my username to one like that as well?

2.) Is it possible to have a link to my site in my signiture? This is really me being lazy, but I do like sharing my pictures, & that would be an easier way to get to them to make a link picture here. I would also like to promote my site as well, but I understand that may not be allowed if admins see that as advertising, or trying to poach members. I don't want to poach members at all, or break ANY rules, but I would like to promote it a bit, if that's OK?
chonsigirl

Hi from Joe

Post by chonsigirl »

Hey, handsome dude!

Some use their real names.

I am Chonsi, my nickname from high school.
Galbally

Hi from Joe

Post by Galbally »

Hi joe, nice to meet you, sorry to go of track, but Chonsi, can you play Chopin on Piano, as this is my ultimate test for a perfect mate, there are lots of others but playing chopin is the final and most important? Also, you are a musical director, you love books, you can quote the bible in Ancient Greek, you appear quite well balanced and not mad, Snooze says you are a bit of alright, so when should I fly over?

Hey joe, don't mind me, you will have a great time here, its a good spot.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
lady cop

Hi from Joe

Post by lady cop »

lady cop wrote: hi Joe and welcome...you seem like a really nice young man. :-6 i dislike quoting myself, but for some reason i had the impression Joe was a teenager! sorry Joe! :o
Joe

Hi from Joe

Post by Joe »

Galbally wrote: Hi joe, nice to meet you, sorry to go of track, but Chonsi, can you play Chopin on Piano, as this is my ultimate test for a perfect mate, there are lots of others but playing chopin is the final and most important? Also, you are a musical director, you love books, you can quote the bible in Ancient Greek, you appear quite well balanced and not mad, Snooze says you are a bit of alright, so when should I fly over?

Hey joe, don't mind me, you will have a great time here, its a good spot.

I bet Chonsi can play lots more than Chopin. But if she can play the Chopin 'Etudes' she must be pretty good! You'll have to give her your Chopin list (or do I mean Chopin Liszt?) :D
Joe

Hi from Joe

Post by Joe »

lady cop wrote: i dislike quoting myself, but for some reason i had the impression Joe was a teenager! sorry Joe! :o

Thanks! Actually I've just turned 40, but I still feel a bit teenager-ish at times! And probably act it too!

They do say 60 is the new 40, so maybe 40 is the new 20? Maybe I'm talking like a 20 year old? Sorry to give the wrong impression, but now you know I'm a nice OLD man.:yh_tong2 But still young at heart.:yh_hugs

Are you a real cop? Or are you a forum cop, making sure we all behave ourselves here?
lady cop

Hi from Joe

Post by lady cop »

ArnoldLayne wrote: LC is a real cop but she keeps us all in line here as well

*whispers* you'd better toe the line....:wah:real cop Joe, but a NICE one! :D
pina

Hi from Joe

Post by pina »

Hi Joe and welcome. I see your'e settling in ok, also I use my own name too, probably because I was too lazy to think of something else. :-6

Galbally

Hi from Joe

Post by Galbally »

If 40 is the new 20, what is 33, they new one of? 17? I would say younger, definetly younger. ANd what for the love of god is the new "black" this time, i say, White.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
abbey

Hi from Joe

Post by abbey »

SnoozeControl wrote: I've heard from various sources that a man's sexual peak is 17. :)17 what, minutes? :rolleyes:
Galbally

Hi from Joe

Post by Galbally »

As opposed to what? 17 hours?, coz I would be bored by then I have to say.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Uncle Kram

Hi from Joe

Post by Uncle Kram »

hi Joe - check out Galballys advice thread - it's a hoot

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN

Return to “Introductions”