Lent

Discuss the Christian Faith.
SOJOURNER

Lent

Post by SOJOURNER »

In many countries, the last day before Lent (called Mardi Gras, Shrove Tuesday, Carnival, or Fasching) has become a last fling before the solemnity of Lent. For centuries, it was customary to fast by abstaining from meat during Lent, which is why some people call the festival Carnival, which is Latin for farewell to meat.

Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the season of Lent, usually observed with a period of fasting and spiritual preparation. In the Ash Wednesday liturgy, the celebrant usually smears ashes on a person's forehead as a mark of their mortality ("Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return.") The ashes are often burned palms saved from the previous year's Palm Sunday celebration.

The Theme of Lent is Retreating Into the Wilderness with Jesus

Lent is a forty-day period before Easter. It begins on Ash Wednesday. We skip Sundays when we count the forty days, because Sundays commemorate the Resurrection. Lent begins on 1 March 2006 and ends on 15 April 2006, which is the day before Easter.

In most churches, the decorations are purple or blue, royal colors to prepare for the King.

Lent is a season of soul-searching and repentance. It is a season for reflection and taking stock. Lent originated in the very earliest days of the Church as a preparatory time for Easter, when the faithful rededicated themselves and when converts were instructed in the faith and prepared for baptism. By observing the forty days of Lent, the individual Christian imitates Jesus’ withdrawal into the wilderness for forty days. All churches that have a continuous history extending before AD 1500 observe Lent. The ancient church that wrote, collected, canonized, and propagated the New Testament also observed Lent, believing it to be a commandment from the apostles.
abbey

Lent

Post by abbey »

Here in Britain shrove Tuesday is also known as pancake tuesday.
chonsigirl

Lent

Post by chonsigirl »

No twister!:(
chonsigirl

Lent

Post by chonsigirl »

:( Rats! We need something else to play! You didn't give up monopoly?
chonsigirl

Lent

Post by chonsigirl »

Wow JAB!

Clancy, how come the dog didn't chew that old shoe one-I always didn't want that piece!

Come on double 6's!
chonsigirl

Lent

Post by chonsigirl »

:wah: That is true. I should give up the RPG, but I like it too much...............
DesignerGal

Lent

Post by DesignerGal »

Im giving up watching "Roseanne". I watch it at 5:00 and 5:30 during the week on Oxygen and 10-1130 at night on Nick at Nite. On weekends in comes on from 1-2 and 5-6. I also have Seasons I and II and will get III on March 21st.

Its my favorite show. I know I will have withdrawals but Lent is all about sacrifice.

HBIC
minks

Lent

Post by minks »

DesignerGal wrote: Im giving up watching "Roseanne". I watch it at 5:00 and 5:30 during the week on Oxygen and 10-1130 at night on Nick at Nite. On weekends in comes on from 1-2 and 5-6. I also have Seasons I and II and will get III on March 21st.

Its my favorite show. I know I will have withdrawals but Lent is all about sacrifice.

I have no idea what to give up for lent, I mean if I give up sex then it means I am giving up exercise and well that just doesn't see right hehehehehehehe
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
chonsigirl

Lent

Post by chonsigirl »

:wah: Oh Minks...................
DesignerGal

Lent

Post by DesignerGal »

minks wrote: I have no idea what to give up for lent, I mean if I give up sex then it means I am giving up exercise and well that just doesn't see right hehehehehehehe

ARE YOU CRAZY MANNNNNNNN?????

Give up margaritas. Giving up sex will kill ya!

HBIC
BabyRider

Lent

Post by BabyRider »

Clancy wrote: I'm giving up:

Liquorice rizlas

Twister

and online playing at sociable hours :)
I sure hope this doesn't mean we will be seeing less of you, Clancy! Give up the candy and the game, fine, but don't leave us!!!! I, for one, would miss you.....:(
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

minks

Lent

Post by minks »

DesignerGal wrote: ARE YOU CRAZY MANNNNNNNN?????

Give up margaritas. Giving up sex will kill ya!

Oh thanks for that ok will give up ummmmmmm using black ink pens ... only blue hehehe (this could kill me) ahahahahaha
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West

Return to “Christianity”