Removing wallpaper

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
valerie

Removing wallpaper

Post by valerie »

Yes.

Get one of those little things to "score" the wallpaper that you move over

it in little circular motions... then use a solution of FABRIC SOFTENER and

water... yes, you heard me right... cheap and works... oh heck let me

see if I can look up the strength percentages and I'll get back to ya...
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

valerie

Removing wallpaper

Post by valerie »

Okay the solution should be 50/50 fabric softener and hot water. Put in

a squirt bottle and let stand for a bit. You may need to do some final

removal with lifting it with a putty knife, but it will work. Clean the wall

afterwords (are you going to paint?) with TSP. You can find all this stuff

just about anywhere, home improvement store and what not.

Have Fun!!

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Peg

Removing wallpaper

Post by Peg »

Someone at work just told me about fabric softener working well to take wallpaper off. I used a squirt bottle, a damp towel, and hot iron. Took some time, but did the job. Why do these helpful hints always come when it's too late for me?
Rapunzel

Removing wallpaper

Post by Rapunzel »

I bought a cheap steamer and steamed the walls. Then as I scraped the manky old paper off I rested the steamer against the wall but propped up on a small metal bin. The steam poured up the walls and when I went to scrape that bit, the old paper just fell off the walls in big swathes! It got all the horrible little bits off and the whole room was done very quickly. That steamer was money well spent!
Rapunzel

Removing wallpaper

Post by Rapunzel »

Clancy wrote: ....now you'll be asked what, "manky" is :)

hehehe :wah:
Mookey1229

Removing wallpaper

Post by Mookey1229 »

We moved into a house that was old and had old wall paper on it. I used hot water and simple green. It worked great. Just wet it down real well a little area at a time and then take a putty knife and scrap it off. Some of it came off in big huge sheets. Good luck,

BabyRider

Removing wallpaper

Post by BabyRider »

That tool that Val is talking about is called a "Tiger claw" and it has little rotating teeth that perforates the paper to allow the solution to soak in better. It works like a dream!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Jcas

Removing wallpaper

Post by Jcas »

I have has sucsess using a paint scraper, but a lot depends on the surface of the wall as well...good luck with it..:-6 :-6
spot

Removing wallpaper

Post by spot »

All these suggestions so far have involved financial outlay beyond the scraper itself, by the look of it. My own experience is that warm fresh urine, left on unlaminated wallpaper, is more than sufficient to scrape back to clean plaster if it's left to soak in for ten minutes. If it's laminated, of course, you have to peel the outer layer off dry - the lamination ought to come away as a single strip.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Removing wallpaper

Post by spot »

JAB wrote: You wouldn't be offended would you Spot if I pass on this suggestion and just take your word for it...?Gosh no. Just a passing observation. You never know when it might come in useful.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Uncle Kram

Removing wallpaper

Post by Uncle Kram »

I use a steamer or put washing up liquid in water and apply with a sponge. The suds tend to stay in place whereas water just runs down. If the surface is vinyl, you've got to score it.

My first house was over a hundred years old. I'd never decorated before so started peeling paper off a small area. I had pieces of 9 different types of wallpaper one on top of the other. The one at the bottom was probably Victorian. As I reached the bottom layer, some of the plaster started to come away from the brickwork.

I then had to apply layer 10. The room was probably much bigger originally :D

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
deckard

Removing wallpaper

Post by deckard »

Hot water & Vinegar.

Score wallpaper and apply,

Allow to soak,

Comes off real easy.
spot

Removing wallpaper

Post by spot »

While I think of it, would anyone like my handier household tip on softening glove leather with just a bucket, a sufficient supply of canine fecal material and cold running water?
theia

Removing wallpaper

Post by theia »

spot wrote: While I think of it, would anyone like my handier household tip on softening glove leather with just a bucket, a sufficient supply of canine fecal material and cold running water?

Spot, you've been reading Mrs Beeton's Household Management, haven't you?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
spot

Removing wallpaper

Post by spot »

theia wrote: Spot, you've been reading Mrs Beeton's Household Management, haven't you?Not quite, Theia, but you're very close. It's a letter to the Morning Chronicle of Friday, December 7, 1849, by Henry Mayhew, which ended up published in his London Labour And The London Poor. Everyone should have a copy on their shelf.

Return to “Home Management”