Going camping!

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Lon

Going camping!

Post by Lon »

Pinky wrote: Right, I've decided when the summer holidays roll around I'm going to stuff the tent in the car and travel around for a bit, camping where I feel like.

There are a few places I've always wanted to see, but does anyone else have any suggestions?

It has to be in the UK though, as I can't quite afford plane fares this year...

I love camping--------------there is nothing better than traveling afar and going to a remote spot ----------- and finding a nice Sheraton Resort with clean sheets, hot water, spa, excellent cuisine and amenities. That's my idea of camping. I did enough of the other kind when in the military for four years.
K.Snyder

Going camping!

Post by K.Snyder »

Are there bears in England?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Going camping!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Pinky wrote: Right, I've decided when the summer holidays roll around I'm going to stuff the tent in the car and travel around for a bit, camping where I feel like.

There are a few places I've always wanted to see, but does anyone else have any suggestions?

Small dome tent strapped to the back of the bike with a carrysack of clothes and head for the Derbyshire dales for as much sceenery and walking as you can shake a stick at.

Or a bit further south to the Cotswolds for sceenery with interesting houses (campsite at Broadway is a good centre to work from)

Or further south again to the New Forrest - wonderful campsite there called Sandy Balls.

That's without going too far - otherwise the Lake District, Snowdonia, Cornwall, the Highlands - the list is endless.
Betty Boop

Going camping!

Post by Betty Boop »

Cornwall! :-6

I'd meet you and show you some of our most beautiful spots, St Michaels Mount, Lands End, Mousehole etc etc
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Going camping!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder wrote: Are there bears in England?

The closest we get is the Pooh Bear
Betty Boop

Going camping!

Post by Betty Boop »

Bryn Mawr wrote: The closest we get is the Pooh Bear

Don't forget Rupert!
K.Snyder

Going camping!

Post by K.Snyder »

You guys have any poisonous snakes over across the pond?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Going camping!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop wrote: Cornwall!

I'd meet you and show you some of our most beautiful spots, St Michaels Mount, Lands End, Mousehole etc etc

Our friends lived at Truthwall ?Sp? just outside St Just and we loved going down there. A beautiful part of the country you could expplore forever and still not "know" it.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Going camping!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder wrote: You guys have any poisonous snakes over across the pond?

Only the Adder and they're rare, timid and not very poisonous.
Uncle Kram

Going camping!

Post by Uncle Kram »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Only the Adder and they're rare, timid and not very poisonous.

The Adder may soon become extinct as it can't multiply

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
K.Snyder

Going camping!

Post by K.Snyder »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Only Adders and they're pretty sparse

No bears, sparse snakes....

sounds like my kind of camping.

Here, you enjoy a star filled night in a calm cool breeze. You tucker down for the night with a fire burning scarce, only to be interupted by a 13' Grizzly standing on its hind legs, ripping through your tent, looking for that chocolate bar you couldnt go without.
K.Snyder

Going camping!

Post by K.Snyder »

ArnoldLayne wrote: We do have fire breathing dragons though. They burn down the tent while you're asleep and eat your children

Welp,

that about does it. No camping for me.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Going camping!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop wrote: Don't forget Rupert!

Of course, how silly of me - everybody knows his name!
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Going camping!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

ArnoldLayne wrote: We do have fire breathing dragons though. They burn down the tent while you're asleep and eat your children

Would they be the Welsh Reds of the milder English Whites?
Betty Boop

Going camping!

Post by Betty Boop »

Pinky wrote: Ahh Bryn - that'll be the one who sneaks up in the night and leaves turds right near the tent door! Little buggers, they are!

And betty, that would be great!

You'd be more than welcome! :)
jbbarker1947

Going camping!

Post by jbbarker1947 »

Texas wants you.
BabyRider

Going camping!

Post by BabyRider »

While I couldn't begin to tell you where to camp in the UK, I do have this suggestion for you: Why not pack everything on the BIKE and camp that way? That's what Bullet and I were planning on doing in July. And may still be able to. (crossing fingers)

We've gotten a ton of info about camping from a bike from a site on Delphi forums. Would you like me to find you that link?
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

gmc

Going camping!

Post by gmc »

Which part of the country are you in and how far do you want to go? Are you in to hillwalking , cycling or just pottering about. Are you a history buff or nature what?

Where haven't you been?
BabyRider

Going camping!

Post by BabyRider »

Pinky wrote: It has to be in the UK though, as I can't quite afford plane fares this year...
Could you afford plane fare if you didn't have to worry about accomodations? I'd put you and Si up in a heartbeat!!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Going camping!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

BabyRider wrote: While I couldn't begin to tell you where to camp in the UK, I do have this suggestion for you: Why not pack everything on the BIKE and camp that way? That's what Bullet and I were planning on doing in July. And may still be able to. (crossing fingers)

We've gotten a ton of info about camping from a bike from a site on Delphi forums. Would you like me to find you that link?

I did suggest it but, sadly, she didn't bite
gmc

Going camping!

Post by gmc »

Pinky wrote: Oh bless your heart BR!

Maybe next year when we've got ourselves back on track a bit, I'd love to!

But at the mo, I still owe last month's rent, because the bank did't pay it out as I'd used all my overdraft:-3 But I love the idea of taking the bikes instead, that way we're not limited where we go as we can get there quicker! (And cheaper!)

Gmc- I'm definately a history buff. I also love natural features and beautiful landscapes.

If you want a list of places to go and routes to take in scotland let me know

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

http://www.camp-sites.co.uk/cumbria.htm

http://scotclimb.org.uk/glencoe_etc.shtml

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/l ... index.html

I've been watching fred dibnah and have a real notion to go see all the places he was looking at. I would have to go on my own though, my wife will humour me up to a point but her boredom threshold is a lot lower than mine.
BabyRider

Going camping!

Post by BabyRider »

I haven't forgotten you, Pink...it was Bullet doing all the communicating on Delphi and I'm trying to figure out which forum he was in. (There's got to be 2,000 different forums on Delphi!)
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

spot

Going camping!

Post by spot »

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
minks

Going camping!

Post by minks »

Pinky wrote: Yay, the holidays are finally here, and I'm planning on packing up my tent either next week or the week after and dragging a couple of mates along!

My friend Nina is going to do the old pin in a map thing when she gets home and let me know where I'm heading....it's so exciting!!!:yh_party

Green with Envy:D

I hope Paddington Bear does not hunt you down ;)
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
OpenMind

Going camping!

Post by OpenMind »

BabyRider wrote: Why not pack everything on the BIKE and camp that way?

I find this is very impractical and at least difficult.

There's nowhere to peg down the tent and there's a tendency to roll off the bike when you turn over in your sleep.:( :sneaky:
OpenMind

Going camping!

Post by OpenMind »

Pinky wrote: I can't do that now anyway, as I can't fit me, Nina and Carol on me bike :D

You could camp on a combo.:-6

Wales is probably the best place for history and scenery combined. Lots of hills to climb.
OpenMind

Going camping!

Post by OpenMind »

Pinky wrote: We were going to do Wales last year, and everyone dropped out.:(

I've left it up to them this time so I don't get too overexcited!

Jeez. I hate it when other people can't make up their minds. I tend to state a destination and just give them the choice of coming or not. I'll go by myself if no one wants to go and enjoy myself.
minks

Going camping!

Post by minks »

Anyone need my bear spray, incect repellent, bear bell, anti moose descenter etc? See we can't just toss a tent on the bike and camp we have to pack the whole general store....

― Mae West
minks

Going camping!

Post by minks »

Pinky wrote: Crikey...that must take some planning!

mind you this is all for back woods camping. There are areas where bears do not pose a threat, but then you have to wear your neon orange safety vests cause the humans on off road bikes and quads will run you down.

― Mae West

Return to “Travel Vacation”