Some would say... she is everywhere...

minks

Post by minks »

I must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed today as I am feeling particularly cranky and argumentative but.....

frankly I am quite sick of the virgin mary this and that, gosh I think I will go home and "read into" my mashed potatoes... the Virgin Mary and try and sell her on Ebay.

I would like to relate this to say our constelations, if you pick a handful of stars up there in the sky and link them together, they roughly form such elaborate figures as a warrior, a great bear, and a queen (just how a W forms a queen is a crazy concept.) etc...... but it's power of the imagination. Very suggestive.

Yes I am certain its all about "interpretation" But enough is enough already..... I shant be rushing out to worship toast, or a cheese sandwish or chocolate..... well ok maybe chocolate....
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
valerie

Post by valerie »

I know what you mean. Minks. It's just interesting that believers "see"

her. That a worker would actually have a prayer card in her pocket

and ready to hold up next to it...
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

You know, the ceiling in my bedroom is one of those spackled kind...with a textured type of finish. I could lay in bed for hours, and see all kinds of designs, faces, figures, whatever. But you know, it is like clouds..you look again later and just don't see it.
minks

Post by minks »

On a different tangent....

I think it is very sad that these apparition's are showing up all over the place and people are appearing to be desperate to worship "something or anything"

― Mae West
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

I am reminded of the first comandment..Thou Shalt Not put a false god above me.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I remeber once when I lived in the barrio, and they had one of those appartions. It was a cross that glowed outside of a window, for no reason. It was the hit of the neighborhood for weeks-people made the daily pilgrimage to it, lit candles, said prayers. My Protestant background left me befuddled at this, but since it kept them thinking on positive and not negative things, I never said anything against it.
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

minks wrote: people are appearing to be desperate to worship "something or anything"

That's pretty interesting and quite accurate, Minxsy.

Why are so many desperately searching for something? :-2
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

minks

Post by minks »

cherandbuster wrote: That's pretty interesting and quite accurate, Minxsy.

Why are so many desperately searching for something? :-2

Interesting you ask, I have a story on that (go figure) My daughters school took I think it was grade 3 kids annually to our local "chinatown" and one of them I forget which daughter came home with this tidbit of information "mom, do you know why there is so much red in chiniatown" I replied "no hunny why" she answered "my teacher told me that the chinese have always had lots of bad in their lives and to see the color red it is to make them feel better and happier"

I found that incredibly interesting

I think the human can reach such a low point where they no longer are able to create their own happiness and seem to have to turn to other people or things to do so for them.

perhaps happiness, direction, inspiration, faith etc, we sometimes just can't quite do it on our own.

― Mae West
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

minks wrote: I think the human can reach such a low point where they no longer are able to create their own happiness and seem to have to turn to other people or things to do so for them.

Great point!

Why does religion, which is pretty abstract and intangible, often become the source of happiness for those who are searching? Why not something tangible, like another human being, an interest or hobby, etc.? :-2
Live Life with

PASSION

minks

Post by minks »

cherandbuster wrote: Great point!

Why does religion, which is pretty abstract and intangible, often become the source of happiness for those who are searching? Why not something tangible, like another human being, an interest or hobby, etc.? :-2

Oh Cher I don't really have a good answer for you there, I often think religion gives false hope. It seems to be a catch all for some people for bad excuses, my god made me do it, if I believe hard enough my god will supply me with (completely removing themselves form some good old fashioned get off your ass and do it yourself values)....

To sum it up

"in the name of my god, I can do whatever I want"

― Mae West
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

I hear you, Minxsy.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

And their own happiness, too :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

minks

Post by minks »

cherandbuster wrote: I hear you, Minxsy.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

And their own happiness, too :-6

I hope we don't get beat up here for sounding anit-religion. Sorry all I hope you don't see Cher and I as bad guys or gals I guess.

But you fully agree there Cher, we are responsible for our own selves.

― Mae West
valerie

Post by valerie »

I don't happen to need anything outside of myself, but I must say,

even though it sometimes turns me off to hear a lot of religious stuff...

that I can be very happy for others that have a deep, abiding faith

for comfort.

I have seen it the last couple of days in clips of Patsy Ramsey, she

KNEW she would see Jon Benet again in heaven. It was something

for her to hold on to and believe in and I say that's great for her.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Issie

Post by Issie »

minks wrote: Interesting you ask, I have a story on that (go figure) My daughters school took I think it was grade 3 kids annually to our local "chinatown" and one of them I forget which daughter came home with this tidbit of information "mom, do you know why there is so much red in chiniatown" I replied "no hunny why" she answered "my teacher told me that the chinese have always had lots of bad in their lives and to see the color red it is to make them feel better and happier"

I found that incredibly interesting

I think the human can reach such a low point where they no longer are able to create their own happiness and seem to have to turn to other people or things to do so for them.

perhaps happiness, direction, inspiration, faith etc, we sometimes just can't quite do it on our own.

Hi Minks.

Chinese things have always interested me and the colour Red being the colour of blood is indeed associated with royalty and promised luck and longevity.

There are 3 colours, red, black and white.

Black is associated with dirt, sin evil and disasters…white resembles the mothers milk and stands for moderation, honesty, purity and life.

The gemstone Jade comes in various colours, but red jade in ancient times was only for the emperors and such like.

Jade and its mystic powers are more valuable than gold and the whole financial system in China began with the exchange of jade.

If you wear a piece of jade, they and I believe that the jade will protect you and it will break before you.

I don’t think the Chinese race since the beginning of time have deviated in their beliefs one iota of the powers of jade….whereas we in the West have lost our way.

Issie x
minks

Post by minks »

Issie wrote: Hi Minks.

Chinese things have always interested me and the colour Red being the colour of blood is indeed associated with royalty and promised luck and longevity.

There are 3 colours, red, black and white.

Black is associated with dirt, sin evil and disasters…white resembles the mothers milk and stands for moderation, honesty, purity and life.

The gemstone Jade comes in various colours, but red jade in ancient times was only for the emperors and such like.

Jade and its mystic powers are more valuable than gold and the whole financial system in China began with the exchange of jade.

If you wear a piece of jade, they and I believe that the jade will protect you and it will break before you.

I don’t think the Chinese race since the beginning of time have deviated in their beliefs one iota of the powers of jade….whereas we in the West have lost our way.

Issie x

Thanks Issie for that....I always appreciate the good info. I am sure my daughter way back was told a more concise story but that is what she came away with, and it stuck in my mind.

Seems we in the west get a little confused on what to really believe in... :(

― Mae West
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

valerie wrote: I don't happen to need anything outside of myself, but I must say,

even though it sometimes turns me off to hear a lot of religious stuff...

that I can be very happy for others that have a deep, abiding faith

for comfort.

I agree with everything you said here , Val. :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

My aunt Maryelizabeth had one of those spatter shields (you know...it's a screen with a handle & you put it over a frying pan to keep grease spatters off the stove.) Over time, it oxidized into a pattern which looked a LOT like a bearded man with long hair.

People would see this thing and announce that it was Jesus!

Could've been Charles Manson, too.

Don't you think it's interesting that people all over the world have created different "constellations" in the night skies? There wasn't much to do at night, back in those days.....stargazing, oxidized patches and chocolate drips can fill the human need to find patterns in life and banish the fear of chaos.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

The chocolate thingy looks like an owl to me.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

An owl? SACRED TO ATHENA, GODDESS OF WISDOM! ;)
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay

Return to “General Religious Discussions”