favorite food/products no longer available

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
(Not so) clueless

Post by (Not so) clueless »

I remember so many things I used to love to eat that I no longer see in the stores! My parents outlawed most sugared items and anything that contained red dye so of course those were the things that I always wanted to try "when I got old enough to move out and cook for myself" (or so I told my parents for the umpteenth time when they told me we could not buy kool aid or sugared cereal LOL)

One of the things I remember must have been the original juice box/bags. They were called "sip-a-dee-doo-dahs" or something like that. I also wanted to try Jello 1-2-3. But its now a "dead" food...sigh....

What are some of the things that you used to eat/want as a child that are now no longer available??
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I can't remember anything. :thinking:
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
annie58

Post by annie58 »

:) I remember "flying saucers". They used to be full up with sherbet but now when I get them I have to shake to see whether there's any sherbet in them. I also remember "dib dabs" but they too are not what they used to be.

:)
spot

Post by spot »

Sherbet ought to come in a yellow cardboard tube with a hollow licorice stick to dab with, surely.

Do Victory Vs still exist?

My favorites back then were tiger nuts and carob beans, I'd be hard placed to find those now.

Patum Peperium was an up-market version of Shipham's assorted pastes, I expect they're all still around. I got the latter on a slice of toast with a hot mug of oxo when times were good, for supper.

Five Boys Chocolate hasn't been around for a while either. Threepence a bar, that was.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
weeder

Post by weeder »

My mother didnt allow any crap... never had desserts. I actually thank her for it today. Our immune systems are great... no skin problems, or bone disease and none of us were obese. But any way, I loved Bungalow Bar ice cream. And does anyone remember Junket?? It was a custard that came in a box like Jello. It was delicious.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
spot

Post by spot »

Hamster wrote: Were these called "Sherbert Fountains"? Or have I got the wrong thing?That's them. I expect the cardboard wrapper didn't survive into the current era even if the idea did.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
theia

Post by theia »

ArnoldLayne wrote: The yellow one would make your finger go yellow so you could boast you were a smoker :wah: I know, not very pc

What about those lovely sweet cigarettes with a splash of red at the tip? And the cigarettes that were actually mint chewing gum inside the paper?

Oh, and Nux bars? A bit like Picnics but far better.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
(Not so) clueless

Post by (Not so) clueless »

theia wrote: What about those lovely sweet cigarettes with a splash of red at the tip? And the cigarettes that were actually mint chewing gum inside the paper?

Oh, and Nux bars? A bit like Picnics but far better.

they still have the cigarettes around here. I see them in gas station convenience stores every now and again
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Nostalgic foods:

fruit stripes gum (smelled really good)

7 up candy bar

honey combs

charm pops

chicklets gum

quisp cereal

freshen up gum (squirts)

funny face drink (rootin tootin rasberry, loud mouth punch)

pdq (milk drink)

bubs daddy gum
I AM AWESOME MAN
chocoholic

Post by chocoholic »

spot wrote: Do Victory Vs still exist?

Five Boys Chocolate hasn't been around for a while either. Threepence a bar, that was.

Victory V's are still alive and kicking - I still buy them for my Mum who is an addict.

Five Boys choccie - showing your age there Spot!

I used to love Frother bars, fruit flavoured chewy sticks, they disappeared years ago.:(
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Nomad wrote: Nostalgic foods:

fruit stripes gum (smelled really good)

7 up candy bar

honey combs

]

charm pops

chicklets gum

quisp cereal

freshen up gum (squirts)

funny face drink (rootin tootin rasberry, loud mouth punch)

pdq (milk drink)

bubs daddy gum

We still have honey combs and chicklets gum. :D do I need to send you some?
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

I miss Quatro, I used to love that.
Red

Post by Red »

Cabana bars- like bounty but with cherries inside

Country bar- like fruit & nut with a pink gingham wrapper
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

spot;411994 wrote: Sherbet ought to come in a yellow cardboard tube with a hollow licorice stick to dab with, surely.

Do Victory Vs still exist?

My favorites back then were tiger nuts and carob beans, I'd be hard placed to find those now.

Patum Peperium was an up-market version of Shipham's assorted pastes, I expect they're all still around. I got the latter on a slice of toast with a hot mug of oxo when times were good, for supper.

What ? :wah:
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Nomad;553532 wrote: What ? wah:

Patum Peperium is actually nothing *like* Shipham's paste.

Return to “The Kitchen”