Sun Dried Tomatoes

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Marie5656

Sun Dried Tomatoes

Post by Marie5656 »

So, Rick got me a bag of whole sun-dried tomatoes. Now what do I do with them? I just cut one up into the soup I am making. But what else can I do? Actually..they are not whole, but sliced.

The only other time I had them they were chipped small, and I just sprinkled them into something.

Any suggestions?
cherandbuster

Sun Dried Tomatoes

Post by cherandbuster »

Marie :)

Are they packed in oil or just dry? If they are in oil, just drain them a little before you use them.

They are great in pasta with either red sauce or pesto sauce. If you make homemade pizza, they are a great topping. Try them in salads as well.

If you google them, I bet you'll get all sorts of recipes for them. Enjoy! :-6
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Marie5656

Sun Dried Tomatoes

Post by Marie5656 »

They are dry. I am Italian..I think it is supposed to be genetic that I know what to do with a tomato, or sauce or something. Guess what..it is not!!

I will try google though.
Ocnbrz

Sun Dried Tomatoes

Post by Ocnbrz »

Hi Marie :)

I use them all the time. Any dish that I want a tomato flavor in I can use the sun dried ones. If they are dry then I will soak them in a little hot water to help rehydrate them before I put them in a salad. If I am making a soup or stew I just toss them in. Their flavor is a little more intense than a fresh tomato so just be aware of that when you are deciding how much to put in!

At Christmas I no more desire a rose

Than wish a snow in May's new-fangled mirth;

But like of each thing that in season grows. -Shakespeare
Marie5656

Sun Dried Tomatoes

Post by Marie5656 »

Thanks, OCN. I will remember that advice.
Lulu2

Sun Dried Tomatoes

Post by Lulu2 »

Get a bottle of evoo (extra virgin olive oil,) cut up a bunch of the tomatos and stuff them into the bottle. This will be a GREAT oil for salad dressing or marinades or even dipping bread!

You could also chop these up & 0put them into salads or omelettes or even dips.

Finally, you didn't say how big that bag is, but you could certainly freeze some of them, in oil, for later!

Lucky you!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
DesignerGal

Sun Dried Tomatoes

Post by DesignerGal »

Brush some olive oil on a toasted bagette and then put the dried tom on it with a slice of raw mozzerrella, then sprinkle with basil or sage, its soooooo good.

HBIC
ACCADUE

Sun Dried Tomatoes

Post by ACCADUE »

Marie5656 wrote: They are dry. I am Italian..I think it is supposed to be genetic that I know what to do with a tomato, or sauce or something. Guess what..it is not!!

I will try google though.

Oh - sei italiana ? da quanto sei in USA ?

No, believe me, it is not genetic - better, not if you are a northern woman...

Follow Cherandbuster suggestion: mix sliced dried tomatoes with oil and use them for pasta - spaghetti would be better -

My husband loves this very simple receipe.

Ciao
telephoto lens

Sun Dried Tomatoes

Post by telephoto lens »

There is an option to sun dried tomatoes: oven drying yourselve,

It is easy to do and here is the formula:

Cut cherry tomatoes in half and marinade them overnight in chopped basil, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinager, garlic, salt and pepper. The next day spread the mixture in a flat pan - a pizza or cake pan place the mix in the oven and turn it on at its lowest level, say 120 degrees, then cook them for hours - say 5 to 7 hours and stop the cooking process when you see the tomatoes are dehydrated to the proper size and texture. These tomatoes are soft, sweet and delicious. I too do not like sundried (beef jerky) tomatoes and do not use them when cooking Italian food.

Return to “The Kitchen”