Why are Americans so unpopular?

Discuss the latest political news.
davieB

Post by davieB »

First off, let me say, they're not with me.

In fact, some of my best friends are Yanks. I seem to be a minority though, and most of my non-american friends view them with nothing but contempt. I don't understand why.

I tell them the US should be a role model for democracies all over the world, yet they just laugh:guitarist

Am I the naive one or is it them?
davieB

Post by davieB »

Sorry, I meant to use the wee sad man not the guitar man.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I don't really buy it that we are. I mean I can think of many countries (no names thanks) that Americans view as...problematic...it's been going on forever. A lot of countries gripe about us and then hold out their hand for help. Then bite the hand that feeds them. Certainly we're not perfect and I am not sure I'd say we're a role model by any means. We have a government that spies on us and cannot be trusted for starters. We pay income tax to an illegal non governmental agency. The American Mafia. We feed everyone else but have people starving in our own home. But I think we're mostly a political scapegoat right now.
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

I can't speak highly enough of the Americans I've encountered on my trips over the pond. I was struck by their sincerity. If they say "Have a Nice Day" they appear to mean it where us Brits are more cynical. If we say it, there's a chance we're taking the p*ss :-3

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Shweet tatersalad

Post by Shweet tatersalad »

I don't care much about the politics of this planet and i don't care.I am a working man and and will die one.

Lots of out side country's don't care for us because we are free and we have no preconceived inhibitions.

We take in the poor the, the weak, the homeless and we give them a good of a chance at success as anybody born here.

America was built on diversity and we are a melting pot of culture and we make it work,for the most part.

And the worst thing THEY don't like is that we are proud too be Americans.

Somewhere out there,is a little boy or girl who dreams of a better life,or a mom and dad who dreams of a better life for there family.And can deliver,no matter who they are,we will give them safe haven.

And non Americans get jealous,and that breeds hate.
caesar777

Post by caesar777 »

davieB;484720 wrote: First off, let me say, they're not with me.

In fact, some of my best friends are Yanks. I seem to be a minority though, and most of my non-american friends view them with nothing but contempt. I don't understand why.

I tell them the US should be a role model for democracies all over the world, yet they just laugh:guitarist

I don't know any Americans, I'm sure that individually they are lovely people.

I despise the American culture of competition, winner takes all and devil take the hindmost. I also dislike the big-headed "land of the free" attitude that they have.

Free as long as you share the majority's views. Look at the McCarthy era.

My biggest hate is the saying "As American as apple pie". We've been making apple pie here for millenia.:wah:
Shweet tatersalad

Post by Shweet tatersalad »

caesar777;484763 wrote: I don't know any Americans, I'm sure that individually they are lovely people.

I despise the American culture of competition, winner takes all and devil take the hindmost. I also dislike the big-headed "land of the free" attitude that they have.

Free as long as you share the majority's views. Look at the McCarthy era.

My biggest hate is the saying "As American as apple pie". We've been making apple pie here for millenia.:wah:

Yes but we incorporate our pies in a strange sex fetish and not feel guilty.:D
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

There are many reasons why people who say that they hate America (or even Americans in general, which is something I find laughable), cultural, political, economic, etc etc. The main reason, is that being the most powerful and influential country in the world in the present day, everyone has to (or thinks they have to have an opinion on it), you don't get many people saying, "god I hate ugandans", or "them Dagesatani's are a right shower", and thats because no one really cares about what those countries are like, because they don't have to care because those countries are unimportant on a global scale, America, however, is hard to ignore.

My own personal opinion on the U.S. is that although many of the criticisms leveled at the U.S. are well deserved, there is an awful lot of cant and hypocrisy about America (espcially from us Europeans), while in other countries peolpe just hate America, because their governments and intellectuals endlessly spout out propaganda about how terrible a place America is, (though in the case of places like Saudi Arabia, the government supports the U.S. (in theory), but the population are very anti-western, mostly for reasons of culture and religion. The U.S. has many flaws and problems, but in general as a country, its been a hugely successful 229 year old experiment in political, religious, economic, and intellectual freedom for its own citizens, its governemnts dealings in foreign affairs with weaker states are perhaps not so great in recent times, and I suppose in a way that has arisen because of arrogance of power, its inevitable in a way. I still think that given the power that the U.S. has at its disposal, its actions are more restrained than many, many other countries would be, if they had the same means.

I can tell you though, invading Iraq has been a disaster, both in general for everyone involved (including America) and also the image of the U.S. in the middle east or anywhere, I don't think many Americans realize how this is all playing in the rest of the world. Its estimated that 500,000 Iraqi's (most civilians) have died since March 2003, and the U.S. Government's policy of invading the country to force a regime change has been the primary cause of that, you may not like to think about it that way, but thats what happened.

Anyways, America is alright, its my own shower that I have to keep an eye on, if people went on less about America and did more to improve the lives of ordinary people their own countries the world would be a lot better off. :)
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Galbally;484781 wrote: Anyways, America is alright, its my own shower that I have to keep an eye on, if people went on less about America and did more to improve the lives of ordinary people their own countries the world would be a lot better off. :)

Hear, hear! :guitarist
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Peg

Post by Peg »

davieB;484720 wrote: First off, let me say, they're not with me.

Where are you from?
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I agree with the above comment about "land of the free." We love to say that. Our presidents love to say that. And certainly we are freer than many. But we're not that free. It's smoke and mirrors.
caesar777

Post by caesar777 »

Galbally;484781 wrote:

Anyways, America is alright, its my own shower that I have to keep an eye on, if people went on less about America and did more to improve the lives of ordinary people their own countries the world would be a lot better off. :)

Here in Britain the government is in the pocket of the Americans. In other countries the American armed forces are over there. In both cases we have good reason to "go on about America" in order to improve the lives of ordinary people.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Jealously, intolerance, ignorance.....the only reasons I can think of although I personally don't come into contact with people with this attitude.....if i did, they would soon get the 'sharp edge' of my tongue.

I have 8 members of my family living in the US.

One of my nieces was made homeless by hurricane Katrina

Her sister is serving in Afghanistan in the forces at the moment leaving her 2 boys with forces husband....AND she volunteered.

You know what...people watch too much c**p TV and think every American is like those you see on the Jerry Springer show :D
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

caesar777;484808 wrote: Here in Britain the government is in the pocket of the Americans. In other countries the American armed forces are over there. In both cases we have good reason to "go on about America" in order to improve the lives of ordinary people.

If the British state is in the pocket of the U.S., then the British people should be asking both themselves and their own politicians why this is so? Why does Britain have a trans-Atlantic alliance with the U.S. (as does most of the rest of the EU, which are also in NATO), I would say that the reason there is alliance is obvious), if the relationship with the U.S. has become too one-sided in recent times, then thats principally the responsibility of the Prime Minister to do something about it (for once), he would say that he is actually serving British interests by being so close in terms of foreign policy on Iraq, many (including me disagree), but history will judge that, not us, and anyway, if thats not what British people want, why did they re-elect the Labour party for another term, or were they just not actually paying attention to what was happening, again thats not America's fault, that your own fault. In terms of going on about America to solve the problems at home, thats misleading, America neither owns or runs the world contrary to the opinion of many, and to take for example the capitalist system, which is not to your taste, the largest capitalist economy in the world is actually the EU, not the U.S., while the fastest growing capitalist economy is China, the first capitalist economy was Italy, not the U.S., likewise the world's first military superpower was not the U.S., it was the British Empire. Everything in the world is not america's fault or responsibility, and its used as an excuse usually for people not to get up off their own bums and sort their own problems out.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Scott Hastings

Post by Scott Hastings »

I heard the american govt has collected a debt of around 16 trillion, im surprised more americans dont hate themselves for voting for george bush
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I wonder how much debt we've accummulated by giving out foreign aid.
caesar777

Post by caesar777 »

[QUOTE=Galbally;484836]

...if the relationship with the U.S. has become too one-sided in recent times, then thats principally the responsibility of the Prime Minister...

why did they re-elect the Labour party for another term...

We had a choice at the last election, new labour with its american loyalties or the conservatives with their american loyalties.

I myself voted liberal, the only main party to oppose the war but I knew they had no chance of being elected.

As for the EU being the biggest capitalist power, this is true , but the EU doesn't defy UN laws.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

caesar777;484852 wrote: [QUOTE=Galbally;484836]

...if the relationship with the U.S. has become too one-sided in recent times, then thats principally the responsibility of the Prime Minister...

why did they re-elect the Labour party for another term...

We had a choice at the last election, new labour with its american loyalties or the conservatives with their american loyalties.

I myself voted liberal, the only main party to oppose the war but I knew they had no chance of being elected.

As for the EU being the biggest capitalist power, this is true , but the EU doesn't defy UN laws.

Well, at least you are politically concious enough to make up your own mind on who you want to be in government and I repsect your opinion, though I don't think I would share your views on America or capitalism at all, but thats what democracy is about init? Like I said earlier, there are many issues where I do not agree or like U.S. policy, but then the same goes for most other country's (including my own the R.O.I.), but I am certainly not anti-American, I am also very pro-EU as well, which shows that the two viewpoints are by no means mutually exclusive.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

Personally I think it is easy to hate America because it's the biggest target globally for hatred. By that I mean that America has never been afraid to stand out, never been shy to speak up and is the most patriotic country in the world thereby making itself a target.

I don't hate America or Americans but I don't necessarily agree with everything that America does. Not all aspects of American culture should be imported here but we have a close link culturally, with language and historicaly. I think that most times this should be celebrated and enjoyed.

We have a lot of things wrong with this country, America has things wrong, so does Australia, France, Germany etc etc.

I have certainly come to appreciate individual Americans more since I joined here and am glad for that.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

RedGlitter;484851 wrote: I wonder how much debt we've accummulated by giving out foreign aid.

Just a note Red, most of America's foreign aid is given to countries such as Eygpt, Israel, Mexico, Brazil, etc etc, and various other states that it is in the enlightened self-interest of the U.S. to support. The EU is the same, so is everyone else. Many americans seem to think that the rest of world lives on U.S. payouts, thats simply not true, what is true is that the size and dynamic nature of the U.S. economy provides a source of strength for world economics, and also by buying lots of imports from places like south east asia, this has helped those countries to develop really rapidly, but thats not handouts, thats enlightened self-interest.

One thing that all Western Europeans should remember though is that after WWII, without American help and money, Europe would not have been able to regain its prosperity, or resist the soviets, and for that we owe you our thanks and support, it has worked out well for both sides in the long run, as a stable and prosperous Europe is good for America both politically, and economically as U.S. firms make a lot of money here, and so that long term decison proved to be a very wise on on behalf of the U.S. state department of that time. Its also in Europe's interest to keep a strong alliance with America always, whatever our differences at one time or another, as we basically share the same civilization and worldview and frankly with the way the world is going we need each other. That doesn't mean we shoud just accept or agree with everything that the U.S. does, but we should be constructive and honest partners.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Scott Hastings

Post by Scott Hastings »

RedGlitter;484851 wrote: I wonder how much debt we've accummulated by giving out foreign aid.

Foreign what the ****! you could buy all of the African countys for under 1 trillion, its george giving tax cuts to the rich, and middle classes, the down side you guys have 60 million people living under the bread line, you will soon be the guys needing foreign aid if you dont watch it! so dont get all high and bloody mighty
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Would anyone care to place a bet on how long it will take this thread to reach the tar pit? :sneaky:
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

buttercup;485081 wrote: Would anyone care to place a bet on how long it will take this thread to reach the tar pit? :sneaky:

Probably page five,its boring really, and its already been done, slagging the U.S. is very 2003 I think! :wah:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Only 5 pages galbally? ye of lil faith, you've been here long enough to know better :p

venom goes on & on & on :rolleyes:
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Scott Hastings;484961 wrote: Foreign what the ****! you could buy all of the African countys for under 1 trillion, its george giving tax cuts to the rich, and middle classes, the down side you guys have 60 million people living under the bread line, you will soon be the guys needing foreign aid if you dont watch it! so dont get all high and bloody mighty

You may be surprised by this but I'm actually aware of people in my country being poor. I have been there myself. It's not just Bush. It's been this way with many presidential administrations. We hand out money to others when we have old people in snow countries with no heat eating cat food. I don't see anybody here getting high and mighty myself. Just stating what we see. You don't allow where you're from by the way. Where are you from that you know so much about America? :)

Good points, Galbally, thanks.

ETA: Maybe I should clarify. I am not so fatheaded that I think the US is the Most Magical Country On Earth. Far from it. I don't think we are so wonderful for what we do, as Galbally points out, we have a vested interest besides any hints of altruism (if any). All I'm saying is I resent giving aid to people and one half of the world wanting us to be the world police and the other half wanting us to butt out. I'd like us to clean up our own backyard first and feed our own people, etc. That's all.

Did I just muck that up even worse? I have a habit of not being clear when I think I am.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

buttercup;485110 wrote: Only 5 pages galbally? ye of lil faith, you've been here long enough to know better :p

venom goes on & on & on :rolleyes:

Except for that one *warm* reply :wah: I haven't seen any venom, Buttercup. Surely we can have our new rules and still discuss serious stuff, I hope? I myself thought this was a good thread. :-3
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Did you see the last thread on this subject red :eek:
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

This is a very young country, very financially successful and we've made some spectacular errors. That alone is enough to cause resentment in many people who are willing to resent people/a government. We've also done great good for many foreign peoples and, it seems, we're popular enough that millions have wanted to come here. Our products, music, arts and culture are eagerly adopted by young people all over the world...(perhaps to the chagrin of their parents.)

I've been in many foreign countries and (with the exception of Jordan, just recently) I've always been treated well, as an individual, because most people are sophisticated enough to realize we can easily separate the Welsh from Wales, for example, or the Sudanese from their government.

If the title of this thread were "Why is America so unpopular?" I'd find it easier to discuss. I also wonder at the motivation behind the topic.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

buttercup;485136 wrote: Did you see the last thread on this subject red :eek:

Um...I don't think so? It was bad I take it? :(

Novelty;485144 wrote: Get back you Yankee scumbags! you invented Married with Children.

I'll never forgive you for that..

I'm sorry! That show sucked! Gosh, if it wouldn't start a riot, I'd make a thread for all the things the US should apologize for. That and Jerry Springer would be on it! :thinking: :wah:

I love this new multi quote thingy Tombstone gave us all!
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Lulu2;485145 wrote:

I've been in many foreign countries and (with the exception of Jordan, just recently) I've always been treated well, .

What happened in Jordan? Are Americans not welcome there now?
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

(http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=22013

I don't want to derail this thread.)
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Lulu2;485145 wrote: This is a very young country, very financially successful and we've made some spectacular errors. That alone is enough to cause resentment in many people who are willing to resent people/a government. We've also done great good for many foreign peoples and, it seems, we're popular enough that millions have wanted to come here. Our products, music, arts and culture are eagerly adopted by young people all over the world...(perhaps to the chagrin of their parents.)

I've been in many foreign countries and (with the exception of Jordan, just recently) I've always been treated well, as an individual, because most people are sophisticated enough to realize we can easily separate the Welsh from Wales, for example, or the Sudanese from their government.

If the title of this thread were "Why is America so unpopular?" I'd find it easier to discuss. I also wonder at the motivation behind the topic.

As usual I am complete agreement with you. Its also the case that people with blind prejudices are very difficult to reason with, the only thing any country can do that really counts is to lead by example. For all of the problems of the U.S. and its society, in most of the 20th century (when European civilization fell into a barbarism and war that we are only now emerging from, and most of the rest of the peoples of the world were living in poverty and either ruled by dictators, or empires) America was an example to all of what political freedom, economic freedom, and intellectual freedom can achieve. I am proud and glad to be Irish and a European, but I also acknowledge the enormous contribution that the U.S. and its people have made toward civilization in general since that country was founded in 1777. Since the fall of the Soviet Union many people have forgotten how many good things and ideas have come from the U.S. That's not to excuse some of the more cynical or foolish things that the U.S. has done (I have always been of the mind that the invasion of Iraq was the worst foreign policy idea by anyone since 1914), but people should keep some sense of perspective when discussing these things, its a far better world for having the U.S. in it, and the world was a nasty place long before the U.S. was founded, people seem to forget that sometimes.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Thanks Lulu, I had missed your thread somehow. Will read.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Well said, 'BallyBob! (I've just made you an honorary Southerner, because I like you so much!) :-4
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

RedGlitter;485147 wrote: What happened in Jordan? Are Americans not welcome there now?

Its sad to say red, but Jordan is one of the only places in the Arab middle east that it would be relatively safe for Americans to go to at all for any reason, given the current political situation in the world. I was actually a bit worried for Lulu when she was over there, tensions are extremely high right now. Same for us Europeans, western people are not very popular in the Arab world right now. An unfortunate fact.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Lulu2;485164 wrote: Well said, 'BallyBob! (I've just made you an honorary Southerner, because I like you so much!) :-4

Well I do declare! I thank you maam, I shall try my best to be a southern gentleman. :wah:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Fiddlededee, Kind Sir! Just sit here beside me on the porch swing and we'll sip some JULEPS and chat! ;)
caesar777

Post by caesar777 »

Because they can not SPELL!
Mystery

Post by Mystery »

caesar777;485281 wrote: Because they can not SPELL!

Matter of opinion, kind sir.

IMO, one of the reasons is because people put the politics of a country before the actual inhabitants. The views of government, the opinions of them, the actions of the, etc. do not necessarily represent the majority.
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

RedGlitter;485129 wrote: You may be surprised by this but I'm actually aware of people in my country being poor. I have been there myself. It's not just Bush. It's been this way with many presidential administrations. We hand out money to others when we have old people in snow countries with no heat eating cat food. I don't see anybody here getting high and mighty myself.

Well said, RG. Now, I have on occasion, been known to call down imprecations on Americans - or, to be accurate American foreign policy (or whatever passes for foreign policy in GDubya's brain(?)).

I have been fortunate in that my work has taken me to many countries. I find it inexcusable that, in what must be admitted, is, just now, the most prosperous nation on the face of the earth, I have seen some of the most desperate and heart-rending poverty I have ever seen. Anywhere.

An ye harm none, do what ye will....
caesar777

Post by caesar777 »

Chookie;485339 wrote:

I have been fortunate in that my work has taken me to many countries. I find it inexcusable that, in what must be admitted, is, just now, the most prosperous nation on the face of the earth, I have seen some of the most desperate and heart-rending poverty I have ever seen. Anywhere.

That is the nature of the American system I'm afraid, look after number one and ******* everyone else.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Caesar, I'd be interested in hearing how you feel your country differs from America in that respect?? :confused:
caesar777

Post by caesar777 »

RedGlitter;485365 wrote: Caesar, I'd be interested in hearing how you feel your country differs from America in that respect?? :confused:

Sadly not very much these days. We are becoming more like the USA every day.

We do have a national health service though and we are free to have any political opinion we wish.
danieeeel

Post by danieeeel »

They are? I didn't even know that.

Here, there are no problems with Americans.. on the contrary, so...
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

(Thanks, Diuretic, for echoing my point.)

Caesar "We are becoming more like the USA every day."

WOW! Was there nothing wrong with the British system until WE came along?

A rhetorical question, of course. Anyone who's studied any world history knows that all governments have had their positive and their negative aspects/influences. It all depends on how you CHOOSE to view it.

For example, I once chatted with a Kenyan friend about the British colonial period there. Tribal territories were destroyed; natives were treated abysmally; resources were exploited; a bloody rebellion resulted.....

"Was it a good thing, or a bad one--the British occupation?" I asked.

"It was a good thing, after all," he said. "Because the British brought literacy and showed us the value of education."

I thought that was a typically African and beautifully human statement reflecting optimism and forgiveness.

Return to “Current Political Events”