High IQ cuts women's marriage prospects

Fact is stranger than fiction.
Cass

Post by Cass »

A high IQ is a hindrance for women wanting to get married while it is an asset for men, according to a study by four British universities.

The study found the likelihood of marriage increased by 35 per cent for boys for each 16 point increase in IQ.

But for girls, there is a 40 per cent drop for each 16-point rise, according to the survey by the universities of Aberdeen, Bristol, Edinburgh and Glasgow.

The study is based on the IQs of 900 men and women between their 10th and 40th birthdays.

"Women in their late 30s, who have gone for careers after the first flush of university and who are among the brightest of their generation, are finding that men are just not interesting enough," psychologist and professor at Nottingham University Paul Brown said.

Claire Rayner, writer and broadcaster, says that intelligent men often preferred a less brainy partner.

"A chap with a high IQ is going to get a demanding job that is going to take up a lot of his energy and time," she said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitem...01/s1275515.htm
weeder

Post by weeder »

>>^..^ A high IQ is a hindrance for women wanting to get married while it is an asset for men, according to a study by four British universities.

The study found the likelihood of marriage increased by 35 per cent for boys for each 16 point increase in IQ.

But for girls, there is a 40 per cent drop for each 16-point rise, according to the survey by the universities of Aberdeen, Bristol, Edinburgh and Glasgow.

The study is based on the IQs of 900 men and women between their 10th and 40th birthdays.

"Women in their late 30s, who have gone for careers after the first flush of university and who are among the brightest of their generation, are finding that men are just not interesting enough," psychologist and professor at Nottingham University Paul Brown said.

Claire Rayner, writer and broadcaster, says that intelligent men often preferred a less brainy partner.

"A chap with a high IQ is going to get a demanding job that is going to take up a lot of his energy and time," she said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitem...0 ... 5.htmGreat topic! Oh no, here we go.... Ill be forced to get riled up again.. Its not just that the women do not find men interesting enough(which I definately find to be true..

Its also also that men are not interested in interesting women. Afetr a lifetime of trying to make relationships work.. and failing... I would rather walk on hot coals then spen one long weekend with a male who is boring.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
gmc

Post by gmc »

My wife joined Mensa, yes low self esteem needed a boost. has anyone ever met enyone that failed to get in?

Very high IQ which means I can never have mine tested-or if I do don't let her know the result. If I am more intelligent she will never forgive me, if less she would never let me live it down.

As my mother in law likes to point out, she can't be too bright or she wouldn't have married me. Truly home is where you hang your head.
Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily »

If an intelligent woman really wants a man who wants a dim woman to be a domestic drudge, she'll be bright enough to act simple then marry him and pay for a cleaner. But why should she.................
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

I dont' get it - send 'em my way. I also don't understand men that get upset if their wives make more money. Please, please make all the money you want and bring it home, baby. I'll cook up the bacon!
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

It's true, and not fair. Double standards-all right for the man to be smart, but not the woman.

I always had a difficult time even getting a date in high school and college-boys were only friendly when it was close to a testing time.

Phooey on them all!

It took me 45 years to find an intelligent man, who loved me for my mind and body.

I had 5 lovely years of intelligent companionship, it was the first time in my life someone encouraged me to be who I was.

Now, I encourage him to become better, so he can become the man he once was.

But it is hard now, I can't bounce off the latest idea, read my latest article or poem, show him a publication that came in. He doesn't understand anymore. I do miss his mind, that is still there, trapped inside the body that it is now.:-1
DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

So this is why Snooze isnt married.:D

HBIC
Casey Morgan

Post by Casey Morgan »

Adam Zapple wrote: I dont' get it - send 'em my way. I also don't understand men that get upset if their wives make more money. Please, please make all the money you want and bring it home, baby. I'll cook up the bacon!

I agree wholeheartedly. IQ is no measure of what's in a person's heart. She should just be who she is. If that means we click, great. If it doesn't, you can never have enough friends.

And that money thing. Above a certain salary level it means she has worked hard to get where she is, and she's good at what she does. (Not that it doesn't mean that below that level of course.) If she's good enough to be making $80K a year, you go girl! I'd be mighty proud of her.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I have never held IQ tests in high regard anyway. I was always in the gifted classes in school and I am very intelligent, well read, book-smart. But sometimes I lack the common sense that a "less intelligent" person has.

I think men like sex and women like smart men.

Sorry, But I think those are the baser instincts. :thinking:
telephoto lens

Post by telephoto lens »

RedGlitter wrote: I have never held IQ tests in high regard anyway. I was always in the gifted classes in school and I am very intelligent, well read, book-smart. But sometimes I lack the common sense that a "less intelligent" person has.

I think men like sex and women like smart men.

Sorry, But I think those are the baser instincts. :thinking:

There are many types of intellegence that transcend the IQ test and thus I do not take it too seriously. I have dated women who had higher IQ's than myself, one had an IQ of 157, but did not think she was any more or less smarter than me. It is just a technical barometer of certain skills and does not take into account the intangible personality facets that make a person successful in life such as determination, persistance, level-headedness, etc. I have ok book sence but have loads of practical intelligence - something that is not measured on a stupid test. Consider I was a C+ english composition student but was an A+ literature student; I was a C math student but earned B+ in both finance and investment analysis. I am also decent at working on cars, I am a painter, a sculptor, a comedy writer, a filmmaker and video editor, and none of this really is reflected on a IQ test - which I have taken.

I think intellectual stimulation is important and there is one easy way to figure out if the person is right for you: do you enjoy talking with them? I suppose a second test is to take a person to a subtitled film and if they hate 'foreign' films, and if they do not like them, they are not for me.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I know you can't actually 'flunk' an IQ test, but I bombed out on mine. Really. Yeah, I'm blonde, but it still kind of irks me.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

telephoto lens wrote: There are many types of intellegence that transcend the IQ test and thus I do not take it too seriously. I have dated women who had higher IQ's than myself, one had an IQ of 157, but did not think she was any more or less smarter than me. It is just a technical barometer of certain skills and does not take into account the intangible personality facets that make a person successful in life such as determination, persistance, level-headedness, etc. I have ok book sence but have loads of practical intelligence - something that is not measured on a stupid test. Consider I was a C+ english composition student but was an A+ literature student; I was a C math student but earned B+ in both finance and investment analysis. I am also decent at working on cars, I am a painter, a sculptor, a comedy writer, a filmmaker and video editor, and none of this really is reflected on a IQ test - which I have taken.

I think intellectual stimulation is important and there is one easy way to figure out if the person is right for you: do you enjoy talking with them? I suppose a second test is to take a person to a subtitled film and if they hate 'foreign' films, and if they do not like them, they are not for me.

Hi Telephoto Lens,

Good points!! I don't know about the foreign films part but I certainly agree that enjoying talking with them is a key factor. :)
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

telephoto lens wrote: There are many types of intellegence that transcend the IQ test and thus I do not take it too seriously. I have dated women who had higher IQ's than myself, one had an IQ of 157, but did not think she was any more or less smarter than me. It is just a technical barometer of certain skills and does not take into account the intangible personality facets that make a person successful in life such as determination, persistance, level-headedness, etc. I have ok book sence but have loads of practical intelligence - something that is not measured on a stupid test. Consider I was a C+ english composition student but was an A+ literature student; I was a C math student but earned B+ in both finance and investment analysis. I am also decent at working on cars, I am a painter, a sculptor, a comedy writer, a filmmaker and video editor, and none of this really is reflected on a IQ test - which I have taken.

Nicely said, Telephoto. And welcome to Forum Garden. I look forward to seeing you around.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily »

The trouble with men - even the most intelligent ones - is they are inclined to turn into boring old farts as they get older, which is why rambling clubs etc are full of middle-aged women who don't want to fester in front of the telly for the rest of their mobile lives.

So I suppose if a woman doesn't need much mental stimulation she'll find it easier to cope with a man in his later years. Instead of throwing him out and climbing Kilimanjaro, or doing another degree!!
telephoto lens

Post by telephoto lens »

Tigerlily wrote: The trouble with men - even the most intelligent ones - is they are inclined to turn into boring old farts as they get older, which is why rambling clubs etc are full of middle-aged women who don't want to fester in front of the telly for the rest of their mobile lives.

So I suppose if a woman doesn't need much mental stimulation she'll find it easier to cope with a man in his later years. Instead of throwing him out and climbing Kilimanjaro, or doing another degree!!

I think it is punishment enough to let him sit in front of a TV and decompose. First the brain goes and the stomach expands, then the body form fits into recliner he is sitting in. So why not bury him in the chair (with a TV on his head) - it would be cheaper than a coffin.

I don't know about you, but this does not sound much like an intelligent man. If anything, this type of man, reads too many books, listens to too much classical (and/or jazz) music, watches too many foreign films, and are full of debating points about contemporary politics as they try to learn a new language. Not much TV time here (thank god).
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

gmc wrote: My wife joined Mensa, yes low self esteem needed a boost. has anyone ever met enyone that failed to get in?

Very high IQ which means I can never have mine tested-or if I do don't let her know the result. If I am more intelligent she will never forgive me, if less she would never let me live it down.

As my mother in law likes to point out, she can't be too bright or she wouldn't have married me. Truly home is where you hang your head.

I tried to join Mensa just for the coodoos..............failed.......not quite smart enough........too bad soooo sad.......................

You want to know why I failed..............the dang math. I could not pass the questions aout the math...........those questions that were math word questions.

I can do puzzles but I could not figure those math questions
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

I had my I.Q. tested twice in high school: I got a 135 and a 142.

My hubby never had his done, but I think he's more intelligent than me.

But intelligence is only one characteristic . . .

Among many, many others of value :-6
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

I'm down with the carrots and other veggies:(
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

There is nothing more atttactive to me than intelligence coupled with a cute bum, thats the jackpot, I dunno, I guess we men can be a bit intimidated by intelligent women, but personally I find them very sexy. Its sad to think that intelligence would be a hinderance to having a long term stable marraige, but I'm not sure how true this really is, I think they would have to do a lot more investigation of such things. Straight-forward intellgence tests don't really reveal very much about someone in terms of their personality, (which is for more important in general human relationships than your IQ number), and are not even particularly accurate at determining how "intelligent" someone is. So I'm not so sure.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Oh I'm in great company then

I have the IQ of parsley

Yes, but it is that super-intelligent parsley that they genetically modified as a possible alternative to civil servants isn't it? Tests are still ongoing apparently and no one in milton keynes has noticed much difference yet.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

ArnoldLayne wrote: I'm quite happy dribbling and looking all gooey eyed into the eyes of an intelligent woman while she waxes lyrical about the advantages of crop rotation from the standpoint of sustainable agriculture.

Works every time

exactly, brings out the maternal instincts:sneaky:
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
koan

Post by koan »

I'd like to imagine that my relationships have failed because of my IQ. Really, I'm just a bitch. And I can live with that, even if no one else can.
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Galbally wrote: There is nothing more attractive to me than intelligence coupled with a cute bum, thats the jackpot

That's fabulous! :D
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Galbally

Post by Galbally »

ArnoldLayne wrote: I'm quite happy dribbling and looking all gooey eyed into the eyes of an intelligent woman while she waxes lyrical about the advantages of crop rotation from the standpoint of sustainable agriculture.

Works every time

You debonair devil, they must be murdering each other over you in the Women's Intitute! ;)

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

cherandbuster wrote: That's fabulous! :D

Yes, and you have both I bet. ;)

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

koan wrote: I'd like to imagine that my relationships have failed because of my IQ. Really, I'm just a bitch. And I can live with that, even if no one else can.

A pragmatic approach, I admire that, and you sing as well.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
koan

Post by koan »

Pragmatically, marriage and divorce both cut women's marriage prospects as well.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

koan wrote: Pragmatically, marriage and divorce both cut women's marriage prospects as well.

I would say thats a pretty accurate comment, same for men too though.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”