Well..my doctor is getting her way...

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Now that I am 3 years past my 50th birthday, my doctor is getting her wish, and I am going Monday afternoon for a colonoscopy (or as hubby so delicatly puts it, Marie's up-your-@ss-tomy).

Gee and all I have to do to prep. Since Thursday I am off all veggies, cooked and raw, no bran, no fiber, no fruit skins no nuts . Starting in the morning I am on a clear liquid diet. Chicken broth, tea, jello (no red jello, no beef broth). Tomorrow afternoon I have to put some powder mixture into a 32 oz bottle of gatorade and drink it all within an hour. Monday morning I put the rest of the powder into another bottle of gatorade and drink all of IT.

Rick is having to take a half day off work to drive me..I will be sedated and won't be allowed to drive myself home.

A coworker who is a vegetarian is wondering how she will deal with the no veggies thing for four days..because basically what you are not allowed to eat, is basically all she DOES eat..being vegetarian.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Marie, I'll wish you luck but you aren't going to need it. I know people who have had it done and the worst part is that junk you have to drink. Being sedated you'll be nice and out of it and won't have a worry. You'll do just fine. :)
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

Marie5656;573327 wrote: Now that I am 3 years past my 50th birthday, my doctor is getting her wish, and I am going Monday afternoon for a colonoscopy (or as hubby so delicatly puts it, Marie's up-your-@ss-tomy).

Gee and all I have to do to prep. Since Thursday I am off all veggies, cooked and raw, no bran, no fiber, no fruit skins no nuts . Starting in the morning I am on a clear liquid diet. Chicken broth, tea, jello (no red jello, no beef broth). Tomorrow afternoon I have to put some powder mixture into a 32 oz bottle of gatorade and drink it all within an hour. Monday morning I put the rest of the powder into another bottle of gatorade and drink all of IT.

Rick is having to take a half day off work to drive me..I will be sedated and won't be allowed to drive myself home.

A coworker who is a vegetarian is wondering how she will deal with the no veggies thing for four days..because basically what you are not allowed to eat, is basically all she DOES eat..being vegetarian.

Hey Good luck Marie . I've had one of those ;) it is not nice . Good luck :-6
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Well, if there will be a good thing to come..Rick promised me he would go for his if I go through mine.

He has been putting his off longer than me.
cars

Post by cars »

I got a "C" for/on my 52nd Bday! Lucky me, I was so hoping for a new car! :)

After being sedated, you don't really know a thing, & if you do, you don't really care!!
Cars :)
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

i'm going off topic but sort of on the same theme , a couple of years ago I had to have to have the camera put in via the other end my mouth ,the guy in front of me in the queue ,went to have his done i thought ok no worries then they brought him back out on a stretcher trolley thingy , I thought holy jumping catfish what happened to him ,the nurse saw my jaw drop and come over to talk to me ,she said dont worry it just the anesthetic he has been put out cold ,I SAID NO ONE TOLD ME THAT i'M NOT READY FOR THAT ,she said well in some cases if people are not able to be put out we have to do it when they are awake but its very unpleasant , I said do it how bad can it be ??? they wheeled this guy in ten minutes later he come back out puke and SH1T dripping down his face it was really disgusting but i thought ,i'm just going to have it done no worries ,they called me in i laid on the stretcher i had to bite on this plastic thing and they started to feed this ice cold coil about an inch thick i guess down my throat i could feel every inch of it ,freezing my gut as they fed it down it felt like 20 feet of it the worst thing was watching the tv screen showing my gut as it went in was gulping for breath it was hard not to panic ,they had told me too fast for 12 hours or so and as the camera went in there was all my breakfast and sweets i'd just eaten on the screen ,i got a right telling off ,then they went to the er exit and came out slowly ,the taste as all the poo and half digested stuff came off of the camera into my mouth was indescribable, i bought a can of coke to take the taste away and went outside it was pouring down , it was shift change there was 200 people sheltering under this big well shelter thingy , i started getting tummy pains agonizing too much to bare i doubled over and every one was watching me ,then i started doing the most horrific of burps something from a monster it went on and on and on lasting a minute or so it was all the air i was gulping while choking on the camera coil , i knew i had loads more to do so i walked off into the pouring rain making the most of obscene of noises and leaving loads of bewildered people behind me in the dry they must of wondered if i was possessed :o :o
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Marie :)

My Mom had colon cancer so I had my first colonoscopy at age 40 (my second one, five years later, is on April 7th).

I've found that instead of drinking massive quantities of that horrible stuff, my doctor writes me a prescription for Visicol -- they are tablets that you swallow instead. Granted, you have to swallow about 25 of them over a four-hour period, but at least you don't get so bloated and have to swear off lemonade for three months afterwards :p

It worked really well for me the 1st time around & I'll be doing the same come April 7th . . . :-6
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Not sure why you need that unless there's something the matter - anyway,

remember the medical definition of a sigmoidoscope.....

It's a flexible tube with an arsehole at each end!

Good luck and *keep smiling*!
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

bill :wah: :wah:
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

Had my first polyp safari last Wednesday. They also did a GRD (going down the gullet into the stomach as jimbo described) at the same time. The liquid diet and nasty drinks weren't pleasant but wasn't as bad as I expected either. Once the doctor injected the sedatives into my IV, I was out in a minute or two. I vaguely remember seeing a monitor at one point with some gutsy looking stuff on it and hearing them talking and jamming something around but it was only for a second or two and then I was out again. Never felt anything. I also remember the doctor coming into the recovery room and saying something about no polyps or cancer but doing a biopsy on my colon and stomach for some reason and then mentioning something about some kind of damage to my esophogus due to GERD. I need to call him back and find out what that was all about. :wah:

A couple of days later I was looking at my bank statement online and noticed a charge to a restaurant. I asked the wife who she went there with and why I wasn't invited. She said, idiot I went with you after your procedure. Remember, you hadn't had anything but liquids for over 24 hours and wanted to eat so we did. I asked what did I have? She told me. I have no memory of the meal but I heard it was pretty good.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

jimbo;573911 wrote: i'm going off topic but sort of on the same theme , a couple of years ago I had to have to have the camera put in via the other end my mouth ...ETC... :o :o

Good Lord. I'm off my feed now Jimbo! That is horrible!! God, how gross. Sorry you had to endure that!!
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

RedGlitter;574207 wrote: Good Lord. I'm off my feed now Jimbo! That is horrible!! God, how gross. Sorry you had to endure that!!

to be honest red apart from 200 people being freaked out i found the whole thing funny and the relef of knowing what they feared was wrong was not far out weighed any humiliation encountered :D :D
Delilah

Post by Delilah »

I had a colonoscopy close to a year ago and by far definitely the worst part was the prep before hand. I was completely knocked out during the actual procedure. All I remember is opening my eyes once during it, and fuzzily looking around and asking what was happening, and seeing my bowel on the tele and than passing back out again. Was asleep for the whole thing pretty much, didn't feel a thing.

But the prep was god awful. The stuff they gave me to drink didn't make me do anything, so I had to go out and buy some other stuff to drink..and that worked a little bit but I still wasn't cleaned out when I arrived for the procedure so they made me get 3 enimas. *shudders*..:mad:
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Thanks for the interesting reading guys. Jimbo..all I can say is **ouch**:lips:

cher..will have to ask about the pills if I have to do this again. The drink last night went down OK....with many prompts from Rick to "Drink up, sweetie". This mornings, not as well. But last nights worked well...:sneaky: I was running till about 2 AM.

Well, at 2:30 Eastern time I will be in there.....:-3
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Marie5656;574354 wrote: Well, at 2:30 Eastern time I will be in there.....:-3

Good luck, my lovely friend :-4

Do let us know the results

We care :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Well, I made it fine. He did remove a little bit of something for biopsy....but that, it seems, is not unusuall, especially when it is just a baseline first time.

You all were right, though, the toughest part was the prep. The actual procedure was nothing. I think Rick was more uncomfortable..he said the chairs in the waiting room were not made for (in his words) the butt of a fat Irishman.

I was under conscious sedation...saw everything, but did not care. :p
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

So here is the deal....I get a call from the office of the doctor who did the procedure..to make an appointment to "go over" the results. So..I go in..slap down my $4o co-pay for him to tell me..well from the little bit of polyup we took out to biopsy, we decided to schedule another procedure..to take the rest of the polyup out. It is not cancerous..but maybe it will be in the futire.

So in June, I have to go through the prep AGAIN..have ANOTHER colonocopy..to have hem remove the rest of a polyup they probably should have just removed in the first place. Not sure why they just did not take kit out the first time..I mean they were right there.

So I have to take another day off..and Rick will have to take a half day off to drive me....and we are not happy about that at all.

Good grief.
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Marie5656;582214 wrote: and we are not happy about that at all.

Good grief.

I'd rather have you healthy, my lovely friend Marie :-4

Best of luck :)
Live Life with

PASSION

Return to “Health Wellness”