Dealing with Chronic Pain

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

This post will be part vent, part hoping for some feedback.

I have osteoarthritis in my knees and hips. I take alot of Advil (ibuprophen) and a glucosimine condroiten supliment. I am more concerned about the pain med. How much is TOO much. My doctor knows how much I take..as she advised me to take it. Basically 400mg during the day, and 800 just before bed.

I worry that it is not good for me..but if I cut back, the pain and stiffness becomes such that it is hard for me to move around. If I cannot move, the pain gets worse..and I do not lose the weight I need to loose.

My doctor suggested I go to an ortho doctor, for steroid shots. But I wonder if they are OK in the long term?

My goal is to be more mobile by November when I go on vacation. I just need to know what else I could do.

One person told me that taking NONI juice will help..with the pain and with weight loss. But nthing I have read about it backs up her statement.

Feedback?
guppy

Post by guppy »

i had juvenile ra as a child marie...i take aspirin everyday for it now....i dont have flare ups now like used to have...but when the fronts come through i feel like my knees want to explode....and if i get sick my joints ache soemthing fierce....

i have noticed that if i dont get enough sleep i tend to have a harder time with the pain...good luck.....:guitarist
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Marie5656;583100 wrote: [B

I have osteoarthritis in my knees and hips. I take alot of Advil (ibuprophen) and a glucosimine condroiten supliment. I am more concerned about the pain med. How much is TOO much. My doctor knows how much I take..as she advised me to take it. Basically 400mg during the day, and 800 just before bed./B]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5037350.stm (basic reference to Ibuprofen).

http://www.touchbriefings.com/pdf/14/ACF62D6.PDF (jumping-off point (sorry!)).
Peg

Post by Peg »

I was on 800 mg ibuprophen twice a day, then it went to 3 times a day. It's as if you build up an immunity. Cortisone shots are WONDERFUL. I've heard they are bad for you, but it's so nice to get some relief from pain even if it's only a day or 2. I'd kill for one right about now.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Bill..thanks for the article links...I will read them tomorrow when I am less tired.

Peg...have you had the shots before? How long do they last? I have considered going for one just before my vacation.
Delilah

Post by Delilah »

You should ask your doctor about Tramadol/Ultram.
Tater Tazz

Post by Tater Tazz »

Delilah;583527 wrote: You should ask your doctor about Tramadol/Ultram.

You could use this, but remember this is a narcotic, habit forming. It did not work for my pain, but neither does vicoden. If you go to ortho doctor make sure you research doctor first, I think I must tell everyone that now. There are some that just like to operate. I had the injections in my foot and in my back they did not work, they do not work for everyone. Try to go online and research your problem, I did after the fact, and I found out interesting things. tazz
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

This has been some good information. Interesting thing, today I feel pretty darn good, if I do say so myself.

Here is the thing..and maybe it is mostly mind over matter. But yesterday, I got a sample in the mail of some "all natural" cream..for pain. So, I put it on my knees and hips and a bit on my back. And I slept fairly well and today I am walking really good...just a bit of stiffness, no real pain.

Go figure.
Tater Tazz

Post by Tater Tazz »

Weather has alot to do with it also.

Return to “Health Wellness”