Crushing The Competition

Big Business, Small Business, Investments, and Personal Finances
koan

Crushing The Competition

Post by koan »

Porter Airlines is a Canadian pain in the butt for WestJet and Air Canada so they're up to their old tricks.

What seems like a crazy good time for travelers getting rock bottom prices will only end up with a duopoly jacking their prices again when they are done destroying.

The brutal side of capitalism.

The starkest example of rock-bottom pricing came in late April when WestJet offered a brief sale on flights leaving Toronto for Ottawa and Montreal for as low as $11 one way. Air Canada quickly followed with a similar offer. At other times the two giants, which together control 95 per cent of the domestic market, have promoted fares well below $50 on those same routes. Analysts say Porter actually triggered it all when it chopped the price of a Toronto-to-Ottawa ticket to $59 from $99 for passengers who book two weeks in advance. But the resulting price war has bordered on the ridiculous. As Ben Cherniavsky, an analyst at Raymond James, noted in a report, if Air Canada customers bought such a ticket and took a pass on perks like Aeroplan miles and checked baggage, they'd "actually get paid to fly!"

Macleans source
Nomad

Crushing The Competition

Post by Nomad »

As rich as this subject is I must add that I like flying. Its fun.
I AM AWESOME MAN
RedGlitter

Crushing The Competition

Post by RedGlitter »

Nomad;643828 wrote: As rich as this subject is I must add that I like flying. Its fun.

Agreed. It makes me crazy when I'm on a plane and some dude (or dudette) has a window seat and yet they're reading or sleeping. Look out the window!! It's awesome!! You're up in the clouds and all the sh*t and people that dog you every day are way down there! They can't touch you!

It's the closest to real freedom I ever feel. :o
koan

Crushing The Competition

Post by koan »

This is actually about how a few good airlines have tried to create a valuable alternate to the main airlines and every one of them has been crushed. :rolleyes:
Nomad

Crushing The Competition

Post by Nomad »

koan;644323 wrote: This is actually about how a few good airlines have tried to create a valuable alternate to the main airlines and every one of them has been crushed. :rolleyes:

I like the window seat :-6 window seats are the best !
I AM AWESOME MAN
koan

Crushing The Competition

Post by koan »

Nomad;645947 wrote: I like the window seat :-6 window seats are the best !

rat bastard :yh_tong2
RedGlitter

Crushing The Competition

Post by RedGlitter »

Nomad;645947 wrote: I like the window seat :-6 window seats are the best !

I really like those little plastic cups they serve your drinks in. :D
Uncle Kram

Crushing The Competition

Post by Uncle Kram »

The first time I flew from Los Angeles to New York, I looked out of the window the whole way. Watching America change below was more interesting than anything you'd see on TV. I suppose on regular flights though, you can get a bit blase the more you do it, but I would imagine even a seasoned traveller would be compelled to look out when arriving somewhere unusual for the first time. It's the main reason I prefer to fly during daylight.

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
RedGlitter

Crushing The Competition

Post by RedGlitter »

I know what you mean Uncle Kram. Watching the topography change from flatlands to farmlainds to mountains is pretty cool.
Uncle Kram

Crushing The Competition

Post by Uncle Kram »

RedGlitter;646240 wrote: I know what you mean Uncle Kram. Watching the topography change from flatlands to farmlainds to mountains is pretty cool.
Yeah that's true. In one flight I saw LA, Las Vegas, The Grand Canyon, the Hoover Dam, the Rockies, the most amazing circular crop patterns for miles, Chicago, a Great Lake and NYC. Beat that.

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
RedGlitter

Crushing The Competition

Post by RedGlitter »

Uncle Kram;646249 wrote: Yeah that's true. In one flight I saw LA, Las Vegas, The Grand Canyon, the Hoover Dam, the Rockies, the most amazing circular crop patterns for miles, Chicago, a Great Lake and NYC. Beat that.

I don't think I can. And I would love to see crop circles.

How stupid am I? I flew into Seattle for the first time and looked out the window, asked my friend "Oh is that a lake?" She said "No. It's Puget Sound." *oops*:D
koan

Crushing The Competition

Post by koan »

And thanks to the monopoly on airlines, you get to pay a fortune for the privilege. The only time you get cheap flights in Canada are when they want to put someone out of business. :-5

No wonder they get away with it. No one cares. Just give y'all a bag of peanuts for the flight and yer happy.
Nomad

Crushing The Competition

Post by Nomad »

koan;646312 wrote: And thanks to the monopoly on airlines, you get to pay a fortune for the privilege. The only time you get cheap flights in Canada are when they want to put someone out of business. :-5

No wonder they get away with it. No one cares. Just give y'all a bag of peanuts for the flight and yer happy.

Whats this got to do with flying over Atlanta during a lightning storm ? :confused: :-2

Get with the program sis !
I AM AWESOME MAN
RedGlitter

Crushing The Competition

Post by RedGlitter »

Can we talk about static wicks??
Nomad

Crushing The Competition

Post by Nomad »

RedGlitter;646706 wrote: Can we talk about static wicks??

Absolutely. Thats what this is all about.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Wall Street to Main Street”