Dyslexia

spot

Dyslexia

Post by spot »

I bring this forward from three days ago. What I want to say has no place in buttercup's original thread. A few members have described themselves as dyslexic. I'm not asking anyone to come out of a closet but those who have mentioned they are might like to comment, where I raise questions, or to point out errors of fact.

Pinky;653832 wrote: People who nitpick and constantly have a go at other about their spelling, punctuation, grammar, whatever - they usually do it to make themselves feel better in some way, as they're obviously not all that great themselves. Their behaviour just shows them to be weak and pathetic. People who are comfortable with themselves will leave others alone.

I started a thread here about a friend who was going through it...everyone commented on what lowlifes these people are who constantly have to have a dig at dyslexics. Funnily enough, someone being harrassed here also stopped getting it in the neck! Strange that. Maybe someone doing the same for this kid might have an effect?I think you're pretty much wrong, Pinky. There's a lot of dodgy thinking in what you've written here.

Dyslexia's a problem with the written word, particularly reading and spelling. I think that's right.

Dyslexic reading problems relate to word-blindness, not vocabulary or poor eyesight. If a well-written passage sounds as incomprehensible when it's heard as when it's read with the eye then dyslexia is not the best description of what's wrong. Again, I think that's right. Assuming so, is using the language bar a useful corrective to reading-dyslexia? The bar will speed-read text from the screen at a comfortable setting

Okay, that's reading out of the way, I'm trying to focus down on spelling because that's where I'm challenging your post. I very rarely nitpick or have a go at "spelling, punctuation or grammar" as you put it. I think that when I've done it it's been for comic effect and it's been rare. Perhaps the comedy hasn't always been noticed, who can tell. The more I think back, the more rare I think it's been.

Some people who spell badly are dyslexic, some are careless, some are misguided in what they think is correct. I can live with any of that, no problem. What I find difficult to understand is why anyone would post text which has red underlining, why they'd turn off their spell-checker or why they'd not add a spell-checker button to their browser if they don't have one built in. None of those categories of poster - the dyslexic, careless, or misguided - actively want to post transparently wrong spellings, presumably. Most of the posts I read have uncorrected red-underlined spelling mistakes.

So, anyway, here's a thread about dyslexic spelling - whether it should be artificially improved - whether a dyslexic has a natural interest in spelling aids at all - which is not in any way a dig at dyslexics, constant or otherwise. It's getting hard to discuss spelling at all in any thread, people knee-jerk defensively and assume they're being criticised. This post is, I believe, uncritical.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
crazygal

Dyslexia

Post by crazygal »

Good post there Spot. :D
spot

Dyslexia

Post by spot »

crazygal;658916 wrote: Good post there Spot. :D

Ah, I remember this thread, just. It went in off the 3-metre springboard with a reverse triple somersault and a half twist, a perfect clean entry, never got seen again. I'd assumed it was sucked down the board's filtration system or eaten by sharks.

If someone collars Buttercup and Pinky they can come and explain themselves, that would get the questions hammered out.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
crazygal

Dyslexia

Post by crazygal »

spot;658926 wrote: Ah, I remember this thread, just. It went in off the 3-metre springboard with a reverse triple somersault and a half twist, a perfect clean entry, never got seen again. I'd assumed it was sucked down the board's filtration system or eaten by sharks.

If someone collars Buttercup and Pinky they can come and explain themselves, that would get the questions hammered out.
I haven't been on for a few days, been through all new posts since and this was one that caught my eye as I think a lot suffer without knowing and also that some don't and just say they do.
gmc

Dyslexia

Post by gmc »

I've always considered it the height of ignorance to correct somebody's spelling or grammar-or if you prefer just bad manners. So long as your meaning gets across that's all that matters. Spelling and putting yourself across in the written word is something that you get better at with practice and posting on a forum like this is a good a way as any to start learning. If you tend not to read a lot your spelling stays poor.

Dyslexia is different-incidentally most dyslexics I've met also tend to be highly intelligent. It's one of the reasons I suspect dyslexics were characterised as being lazy rather than having a problem. The other one was as just being thick. I have a relative that speaks two languages fluently but his teachers think her stupid because of difficulty reading and writing.

Computer word processors are a boon as it seems some benefit by being able to use different colour fonts and backgrounds. In the old days it was different coloured paper and pens.

Spell checkers are not always correct anyway. The one with microsoft word can't spell words like humour and rumour properly:-2
Carl44

Dyslexia

Post by Carl44 »

gmc;658945 wrote: I've always considered it the height of ignorance to correct somebody's spelling or grammar-or if you prefer just bad manners. So long as your meaning gets across that's all that matters. Spelling and putting yourself across in the written word is something that you get better at with practice and posting on a forum like this is a good a way as any to start learning. If you tend not to read a lot your spelling stays poor.

Dyslexia is different-incidentally most dyslexics I've met also tend to be highly intelligent. It's one of the reasons I suspect dyslexics were characterised as being lazy rather than having a problem. The other one was as just being thick. I have a relative that speaks two languages fluently but his teachers think her stupid because of difficulty reading and writing.

Computer word processors are a boon as it seems some benefit by being able to use different colour fonts and backgrounds. In the old days it was different coloured paper and pens.

Spell checkers are not always correct anyway. The one with microsoft word can't spell words like humour and rumour properly:-2

good post :-6
spot

Dyslexia

Post by spot »

gmc;658945 wrote: I've always considered it the height of ignorance to correct somebody's spelling or grammar-or if you prefer just bad manners.
"It's getting hard to discuss spelling at all in any thread, people knee-jerk defensively and assume they're being criticised" is what I wrote. I really don't know how to raise a discussion on the use of spell-check without people criticizing those who question spelling. I'm not questioning anyone's spelling. I'm asking, with regard to dyslexic spelling, "whether it should be artificially improved - whether a dyslexic has a natural interest in spelling aids at all". As a sub-question I asked "why anyone would post text which has red underlining, why they'd turn off their spell-checker or why they'd not add a spell-checker button to their browser if they don't have one built in".

"The one with microsoft word can't spell words like humour and rumour properly" is just drivel - if you haven't got the right regional dictionary then you have to train it. The trick is to install the right one from scratch. Far more relevant are the spell-checkers appropriate for real-time use with browsers. There are quite a few. I refer to that as "red-lining" in the OP.
crazygal

Dyslexia

Post by crazygal »

spot;658965 wrote: "It's getting hard to discuss spelling at all in any thread, people knee-jerk defensively and assume they're being criticised" is what I wrote. I really don't know how to raise a discussion on the use of spell-check without people criticizing those who question spelling. I'm not questioning anyone's spelling. I'm asking, with regard to dyslexic spelling, "whether it should be artificially improved - whether a dyslexic has a natural interest in spelling aids at all". As a sub-question I asked "why anyone would post text which has red underlining, why they'd turn off their spell-checker or why they'd not add a spell-checker button to their browser if they don't have one built in".

"The one with microsoft word can't spell words like humour and rumour properly" is just drivel - if you haven't got the right regional dictionary then you have to train it. The trick is to install the right one from scratch. Far more relevant are the spell-checkers appropriate for real-time use with browsers. There are quite a few. I refer to that as "red-lining" in the OP.

Google Toolbar is the best I find. I am of the same opinion. Bad speller or Dyslexia, I don't get why some don't try at least. Same as with anything else. If I am not good at something, at least I'll try to better myself.
Bryn Mawr

Dyslexia

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;658965 wrote: "It's getting hard to discuss spelling at all in any thread, people knee-jerk defensively and assume they're being criticised" is what I wrote. I really don't know how to raise a discussion on the use of spell-check without people criticizing those who question spelling. I'm not questioning anyone's spelling. I'm asking, with regard to dyslexic spelling, "whether it should be artificially improved - whether a dyslexic has a natural interest in spelling aids at all". As a sub-question I asked "why anyone would post text which has red underlining, why they'd turn off their spell-checker or why they'd not add a spell-checker button to their browser if they don't have one built in".

If I could get a spelling checker to reliably load onto my browser then I would do so but, despite every effort, it hasn't happened yet.

When it comes to cutting and pasting into a word processor to check the spelling and then cutting and pasting back into the browser to post then it takes too much spontinaity from the post - you might as well not bother.

If people prefer not to read my posts through the odd spelling mistake then so be it :-(
Carl44

Dyslexia

Post by Carl44 »

Bryn Mawr;659228 wrote: If I could get a spelling checker to reliably load onto my browser then I would do so but, despite every effort, it hasn't happened yet.

When it comes to cutting and pasting into a word processor to check the spelling and then cutting and pasting back into the browser to post then it takes too much spontinaity from the post - you might as well not bother.

If people prefer not to read my posts through the odd spelling mistake then so be it :-(

just how i feel Bryn

if people dont want tro read my posts as there may be the odd correctly spelt word in it then thats their look out :-6
spot

Dyslexia

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;659228 wrote: If I could get a spelling checker to reliably load onto my browser then I would do so but, despite every effort, it hasn't happened yet.I quite like http://spell.jacuba.com/tryit.html
gmc

Dyslexia

Post by gmc »

Of course dyslexics should use any aid they can. Why should they not? It is after all a physical condition they have, not congenital laziness. It's like taking a walking stick away from someone because you think they are just pretending they can't walk. Or refusing hearing aids to the deaf because they are dummies anyway. I have nephew and a niece both with dyslexia who have both suffered with idiot teachers who assume they are stupid or lazy because they cannot read properly. The older one has learned to adapt and acquire techniques to cope with the problem.

Why not have a thread about spelling then rather than have it in the middle of one that isn't about spelling? Of course people are going to take offence if you suddenly point out their spelling sucks unless it is relevant to what they have said. Personally I can spell very well. I can also type but it's the two combined that I find difficult.

I stand by what I said earlier. It's bad manners to correct someone's spelling or grammar unless they ask you to do so. Why do you feel the urge to do so?

In real life away from this place it really pisses me off because it's usually some semi-literate moron overly impressed with their own erudition. Rather like those idiots that assume someone with a strong regional accent is also uneducated and thick and feel compelled to tell them the correct pronunciation and are puzzled as to why people are hostile when all they were trying to do was help them. Not that I am in any way hinting, insinuating or otherwise implying that you are a semi-literate moron and I apologise if I give offence-or should that be apologize?:-3

"The one with microsoft word can't spell words like humour and rumour properly" is just drivel -

Oh dearie me. If you really didn't spot the intended humour (or should that be humor) in that statement I despair-I can never remember which words to misspell so that the posters from across the pond don't get the impression I don't know how to spell. Then again I'm not bothered by it.
YZGI

Dyslexia

Post by YZGI »

We get it allready GMC.:wah:
gmc

Dyslexia

Post by gmc »

YZGI;659387 wrote: We get it allready GMC.:wah:

I didn't mean to post it three times. Honest!
YZGI

Dyslexia

Post by YZGI »

gmc;659389 wrote: I didn't mean to post it three times. Honest!
It did the same thing to me in another thread. I quickly deleted them, thats why I had the laugh.
spot

Dyslexia

Post by spot »

gmc;659386 wrote: It's bad manners to correct someone's spelling or grammar unless they ask you to do so. Why do you feel the urge to do so?I hesitate to point this out yet again but I don't feel the urge and I don't do it. I am, however, influenced in reading a post if I find it crawling - and I mean infested to its roots, not just scattered - with errors of any sort.

The prime question I have raised is whether dyslexics feel they benefit from spellcheck software. The subsidiary question is whether non-dyslexics whose posts are heavily red-lined would more prefer spell-checked correction or the joys of continued bloody-mindedness.
RedGlitter

Dyslexia

Post by RedGlitter »

I don't mind the dyslexics or even the bad spellers because I can normally make out what they're saying. What I mind are the drunks who get on here and type stuff that makes no sense whatsoever. Where's the toolBAR for them? :rolleyes:
YZGI

Dyslexia

Post by YZGI »

RedGlitter;659396 wrote: I don't mind the dyslexics or even the bad spellers because I can normally make out what they're saying. What I mind are the drunks who get on here and type stuff that makes no sense whatsoever. Where's the toolBAR for them? :rolleyes:
Now that is just not fair.:D
YZGI

Dyslexia

Post by YZGI »

RedGlitter;659396 wrote: I don't mind the dyslexics or even the bad spellers because I can normally make out what they're saying. What I mind are the drunks who get on here and type stuff that makes no sense whatsoever. Where's the toolBAR for them? :rolleyes:
Thats it Red, it's not PC to pick on spelling, but it's always ok to pick on the drinkers and smokers.:wah:
spot

Dyslexia

Post by spot »

YZGI;659403 wrote: and smokers.:wah:I appear to have stopped around the beginning of the month. That makes the fourth time since I had my first. I'll be quite pleased if I don't have any more.
YZGI

Dyslexia

Post by YZGI »

spot;659425 wrote: I appear to have stopped around the beginning of the month. That makes the fourth time since I had my first. I'll be quite pleased if I don't have any more.
Good for you Spot. I hope it goes well. Are you supplementing or just going cold turkey?
RedGlitter

Dyslexia

Post by RedGlitter »

YZGI;659403 wrote: Thats it Red, it's not PC to pick on spelling, but it's always ok to pick on the drinkers and smokers.:wah:

:wah: Sorry, YZ. But it's true. :D

spot;659425 wrote: I appear to have stopped around the beginning of the month. That makes the fourth time since I had my first. I'll be quite pleased if I don't have any more.

All right, Spot!! That makes me really happy for you! :-6
spot

Dyslexia

Post by spot »

YZGI;659433 wrote: Good for you Spot. I hope it goes well. Are you supplementing or just going cold turkey?Neither, I haven't got anything with tobacco in, that's all.
spot

Dyslexia

Post by spot »

Actually, now I think about it, there's a box of nicotine chewing stuff in the drawer next to me that I got for someone else a while ago. I don't think I could bring myself to put it in my mouth though.
RedGlitter

Dyslexia

Post by RedGlitter »

Yeah that's nasty.

My ex used to use that stuff. Very unpleasant.

Return to “Health Wellness”