Microwave Popcorn

Pheasy

Microwave Popcorn

Post by Pheasy »

I just received this in an email (not sure of original source). Popcorn Lung?????? Anyone else heard anything about this?....

Microwave Popcorn Alert - Important Medical & Lawsuit Information

MEDICAL ALERT

=============

September 19th, Washington - Major popcorn producers have known for more than a year

the secret results of an Environmental Protection Agency study

of potential health risks of a chemical in microwave popcorn.

The results of the EPA study still have not been made public.

A chemical identified by scientists at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

is the cause of a debilitating and sometimes fatal lung disease.

CDC's National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health

has called the condition bronchiolitis obliterans, or "popcorn lung."

The EPA has refused to make the report available to the general public.

Last week, a health advocacy organization at George Washington University revealed

that a Colorado physician had notified the Food and Drug Administration in July

that she had a patient who had developed "significant lung disease".
booradley

Microwave Popcorn

Post by booradley »

never mind popcorn lung.. I had popcorn tooth!! Munch, munch, munch and half my tooth sheared off. I had to have a crown, it cost me a whopping £237:thinking:
spot

Microwave Popcorn

Post by spot »

ThePheasant;707532 wrote: I just received this in an email (not sure of original source). Popcorn Lung?????? Anyone else heard anything about this?....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronchiolitis_obliterans

In rare instances, bronchiolitis obliterans may be caused by inhalation of airborne diacetyl — a chemical used to produce the butter-like flavoring in many foods such as candy, microwave popcorn and wines.

This disease is irreversible and severe cases often require a lung transplant. Evaluation of interventions to prevent bronchiolitis obliterans relies on early detection of abnormal spirometry results or unusual decreases in repeated measurements.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
SuzyB

Microwave Popcorn

Post by SuzyB »

Sorry to change the subject Pheasey, but Spot in Sociology we have been told to not use Wikipedia at all, apparently they are trying to get the site removed due to so many inaccuracies, I don't know if that's true but our tutor has said that if we reference from there our work will be referred :confused: I didn't know anything about it, but I sat there thinking 'I know a man who will' :)
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

spot

Microwave Popcorn

Post by spot »

SuzyB;707611 wrote: Sorry to change the subject Pheasey, but Spot in Sociology we have been told to not use Wikipedia at all, apparently they are trying to get the site removed due to so many inaccuracies, I don't know if that's true but our tutor has said that if we reference from there our work will be referred :confused: I didn't know anything about it, but I sat there thinking 'I know a man who will' :)

There was an academically-reviewed comparison on the error rate between Encyclopedia Britannica and Wikipedia a while go that said they were neck and neck, if I remember. I'm sure the tutor feels he's sick of seeing the same quotes come up time after time, I can imagine that.

It's a wonderful resource I think. I enjoy using it.

As for your course, there are a lot of alternatives.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
sunny104

Microwave Popcorn

Post by sunny104 »

isn't the problem with Wikipedia the fact that anyone can edit it?? :thinking:

I was reasearching Elizabeth Blackwell last night and the end of the article ended with the date of her retirement but someone had added "and then she started to strip for free" :rolleyes: :wah:
spot

Microwave Popcorn

Post by spot »

sunny104;707792 wrote: isn't the problem with Wikipedia the fact that anyone can edit it?? :thinking:

I was reasearching Elizabeth Blackwell last night and the end of the article ended with the date of her retirement but someone had added "and then she started to strip for free" :rolleyes: :wah:

The illustrator or the doctor?

Ah, I see it. If you look on http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... on=history you'll see that there was a stack of revision being done over the last couple of days. The vandalism lasted 36 minutes. To see the changes, click the "last" hyperlink for the first few edits and you'll see what was going on. There's far more sensible people editing than there are vandals.
sunny104

Microwave Popcorn

Post by sunny104 »

spot;707800 wrote: The illustrator or the doctor?

Ah, I see it. If you look on http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... on=history you'll see that there was a stack of revision being done over the last couple of days. The vandalism lasted 36 minutes. To see the changes, click the "last" hyperlink for the first few edits and you'll see what was going on. There's far more sensible people editing than there are vandals.

I was just wondering if maybe that's why some people wouldn't trust the information? I tend to look at numerous sites when trying to learn about something anyway......:)
spot

Microwave Popcorn

Post by spot »

Nothing from the past is accurately reflected in the present. You cannot look at any past event and have a complete picture of that moment. Even if you're holding an artifact it's out of context, incomplete, subject to interpretation. Wikipedia is incredibly fluid but it's subject to no more of a need for interpretation than, say, a dinosaur footprint or a layer of ash in a ruined city or a crime scene or a copy of Magna Carta. In the case of "and then she started to strip for free" it's a lot easier to interpret than if the vandal had changed her date of birth to 7th August.
lalalala

Microwave Popcorn

Post by lalalala »

I never trusted Wikipedia. I have a friend who posted stuff about himself. He can look himself up and add to the Wikipedia information about himself :wah: I have crazy friends.

Back to the popcorn though...I'm quite sure most of the chemicals in the popcorn you could run your diesel car on that stuff:wah: microwaveable popcorn is so good though. I don't eat it often because I don't feel like digging half the bag out of my teeth. Guess we have to stick to the traditions corn you pop on the stove top.

Return to “Health Wellness”