Ortho Bionomy

All items relating to Healthcare: Medical insurance, company policies, insurance coverage, policy costs, and more!
Accountable

Ortho Bionomy

Post by Accountable »

My beloved has been going to a neuromuscular dentist for TMJ (jaw joint alignment). She still has pain in her neck, and the dentist is referring her to an orthobionomist for some kind of magical massage that he swears by.

Has anybody ever heard of this? Ever been to an orthobionomist?

Here's some info for those like me who're saying HUH??? :-2

http://www.ortho-bionomy.org/
chonsigirl

Ortho Bionomy

Post by chonsigirl »

It sounds interesting. There is a group for people with TMJ, my mother has it.

http://www.tmj.org/
Accountable

Ortho Bionomy

Post by Accountable »

Is there anything you don't know? :yh_worshp
Patsy Warnick

Ortho Bionomy

Post by Patsy Warnick »

The article doesn't really explain what will be done

massage - pressure points, is this like a yoga for the face.?

Bio Feed Back - is like a mind over matter concept

Account - has your wife worn a mouth/teeth guard ?- probably

Has she tried a regular massage session with a professional - the therapist would massage face/jaw/forehead/neck/upper back?

Just curious

Patsy
Accountable

Ortho Bionomy

Post by Accountable »

Patsy Warnick;775605 wrote: The article doesn't really explain what will be done

massage - pressure points, is this like a yoga for the face.?

Bio Feed Back - is like a mind over matter concept

Account - has your wife worn a mouth/teeth guard ?- probably

Has she tried a regular massage session with a professional - the therapist would massage face/jaw/forehead/neck/upper back?

Just curious

Patsy
She wears an orthotic now to keep the jaw in alignment until she gets braces. massive chunk of plastic but she says it's comfortable. The jaw muscles are okay now, or at least are getting better. I massage her regularly. {Hush, you in the back!} The dentist says this guy is like going to the chiropractor without all the jerking and popping.
Patsy Warnick

Ortho Bionomy

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Account

Have you considered a chiropractor

it does work

Patsy
CARLA

Ortho Bionomy

Post by CARLA »

ACC I have lived with TMJ since 1984. I have a fiberglass splint that I wear every night. It like putting on a pair of slippers couldn't go to sleep without it. It has also saved my teeth as well. I did damage to some of my back teeth with the grinding but once I started wearing the brace that stopped.

I don't know about this massage therapy. What I can tell you is at the time I was diagnosed with TMJ it was just recognized as a problem. My dentist sent me to physical therapy where they taught me how to open and close my mouth properly and exercise the jaw muscle. I also had ultra violet therapy at the sight (right Jaw was the worst) and massage it was a life saver, reduced the constant pain and headached that are associated with TMJ. It took about 6 months of physical therapy to finally stop the pain associated with TMJ. The splint or brace as they call them now is the best and most useful solution that effectly reduces the jaw pain.

I have had 3 splints since 1984 as you eventually bite through them. They are worth ever penny you spend. Make sure it is a comfortable fit and not the flimsy one. It needs to be hard plastic, fiberglass, resin whatever they make them out of after they take a full mouth mold of your wifes teeth.

She will benefit from any type of massage as it feels great. Good Luck if you have any question I can do my best to answer them. ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Patsy Warnick

Ortho Bionomy

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Carla

I too wear a mouth piece at night - due to grinding

Chiropractor - massages - its all good

This particular technique seems to be a fancy name for massage & mouth/jaw therapy, which has been out there for years.

The mouth piece definately helps.

Patsy
Patsy Warnick

Ortho Bionomy

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Account

question - how long has your wife has this discomfort?

You mentioned braces in the near future - has she had some dental work where the mouth had to be open for a long period of time ?

What caused this?

Patsy
Accountable

Ortho Bionomy

Post by Accountable »

Sorry guys, I didn't make myself clear. The orthobionomy is for her shoulder & neck pain which wasn't relieved by the splint, so it isn't from the TMJ.

The treatment she's getting for the TMJ is different than about anything I've come across. The dentist used various x-rays, including a 3-d x-ray that's only available here in San Antonio and one other place in the US (very cool to see). Then he used electrical impulse massage to relax the jaw muscles completely so that he could move it into the optimal position. As I understand it, the jaw will adjust so that the teeth fit together, sometimes becoming so maladjusted that it causes pain. The splint he created from her mold holds the jaw in this new optimal position. Next, braces will pull her teeth into alignment so that they will fit together when the jaw is perfectly aligned.

It's a process for the more extreme cases and her's is nowhere near extreme, but we've checked into him and his process and are comfortable that the fix will be a long-term or even permanent one. She's not supposed to need a splint or mouthguard when all is over and done.
Nomad

Ortho Bionomy

Post by Nomad »

Accountable;775593 wrote: My beloved has been going to a neuromuscular dentist for TMJ (jaw joint alignment). She still has pain in her neck, and the dentist is referring her to an orthobionomist for some kind of magical massage that he swears by.

Has anybody ever heard of this? Ever been to an orthobionomist?

Here's some info for those like me who're saying HUH??? :-2

http://www.ortho-bionomy.org/

Have you considered moving into a hotel for a couple of weeks ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

Ortho Bionomy

Post by Accountable »

Nomad;776024 wrote: Have you considered moving into a hotel for a couple of weeks ?
*Calmly unwraps the gift meant for Nomad's birthday, opens the chocolate box, and eats.*
CARLA

Ortho Bionomy

Post by CARLA »

Sounds good to me ACC wish they would have had this kind of treament back when I was diagnosed would have saved me a ton of money on splints. :wah:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Return to “Healthcare”