Where did you learn to do what you do best? (Jobwise)?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I had 4 kids, and I had to teach them how to be adults and how to live, it went from that to teaching other kids.......:)
Mystery

Post by Mystery »

Well, I have a Psych degree, and education is great. However, for me, life is what gave me the "know how" to do what I do, which is run an inpatient detox center. My former life was chock full of lessons learned, and some un-learned, and it gives me an added insight into the minds of my patients/clients. It also gives me a tie to them, as they feel comfortable because they see me as someone who has been where there at, which makes them feel it more, if that makes sense.
Mystery

Post by Mystery »

Jester;780058 wrote: Mystery, you got an example your willing to share with us?

YOu mean concerning lessons learned from my past? Or something concerning my clients?
Mystery

Post by Mystery »

Jester;780065 wrote: Connect the dots I mean, an example from your past that relates to why your cleints can can relate to you so well?

It seems to me that your in this not just to make a living but because you have a passion for it. Am I right?

Im always interested in why folks got into the work they did?

Yes, I"m definitely in this because it's a field that is very close to my heart. It is those that came before me, my mentors if you will, that saved my life and showed me the way to build it back up again. They inspired me to be the person I was meant to be and come out of the hell I'd drudged through for years.

I actually got into the field in a round-about way. I'd applied for a clerical position at the outpatient clinic, and when the manager found out I had 2 years of college, she asked me if I was willing to come on as a CIT (counselor in training). I took the job, and the rest is history. Now I have my degree, am in upper management of my agency, am a certified professional in my profession.

Anyway, I tend to ramble LOL. You asked for an example. The first one that comes to mind is those clients that are at an emotional "bottom". That's where my life went just before help found me. Listen, shame, guilt, and remorse ruled the day for me and it was quite a struggle to overcome that, and while I have to be careful with self-disclosure, it's one of the things I share freely with my clients about, and it helps them to relate with their own situations. There's lots that I could go into, but it'd derail the thread. :) I'll have to em *cough* add more to the recovery forum that I"ve grossly neglected (sorrrrrryyyyy) :o
moonpie

Post by moonpie »

I have always been in clerical or the secretarial field. When I came back to Canada I started working with the Provincial Government who has an office that helps workers with Workers' Compensation claims. From there, I went to a lawyers office that does only Workers' Compensation on behalf of the worker. Stress is less, pay is better, but no pension. I have a strong desire to help people who are always getting the short end of the stick due to beauracracy. We (my lawyer and I) have a good relationship, and we work hard, and it is getting harder and harder through different governments to fight the crap that governments allow for corporations to not give their employee benefits due to work injury.
moonpie

Post by moonpie »

To Jester - the best words are thanks. We help so many people get through this long line of being denied, being tested and making them into bumbling people who cannot get through a day any morel It really is so bad, it turns good people into paranoid people who cannot figure their own life's or live's worth.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

OJT--on the job training

LLT--living life training
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

I don't really know what I do best. Here's a list of the jobs I have done -

Bank clerk

Partner in Funeral Directors and at the same time (not all together though)

helped run a household hardware shop

set up and run a tearoom

set up and run a florists shop

Still doing the floristry but am about to start training to be a driving instructor then will give up the shop.

Also spent years as a volunteer police officer in my spare time, now I'm a Town Councillor and School Governor.

Thinking about it and looking at the list I think my best skill is adaptability! I rarely get flustered or stressed and little throws me out, sometimes I'm a bit too laid back but life has a way of working out in the end. The years with the police taught me that thing could be a lot worse.

Oh, and I'm a wife, step-mother, mother and grandmother so there's all that too!

(Occasionally I sleep and eat!!!)
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

Jester;780766 wrote: Well I didnt plan this as a job information hot line but man Im'....

Hire yourself out as a business consultant and help small business get started!

Thats a vast resume for that kind of thing.:)

I'd never thought of that!!! Perhaps that could be my final fling before retirement!!!!:wah:
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Well, I learned to be a student from highschool. And i think that's a job i will never quit! learning woot!
Smoke signals ftw!

Return to “General Chit Chat”