Suicide ; a topic of conversation or should it be hidden

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

With all the tragic deaths that have occured in Wales over the recent months should we be talking more about Suicide ...an expert on a program i saw the tail end of last night said yes, we should ......i'm not sure .....what do you guys think ...should we be more open about it or are we giving people ideas that they would never have thought of had the topic not been in the media so much .:thinking::thinking::thinking:
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
spot

Post by spot »

Who is there in the country who is so unaware of the essential tragedy of existence that they've not considered the pros and cons of suicide regardless of whether it's been in the media so much or not? You need to be under eight or mentally deficient not to have thought the issues through to the best of your ability.

The advantage of discussing it is that some of the fools who have thought about it have failed to realize the magnitude of the downside. An honest open discussion would reveal that aspect to them, but it's counter-productive if it's not an honest discussion.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Peg

Post by Peg »

Whether suicide is in the news or not, a person with suicidal tendencies will attempt suicide if they feel it's their only way out IMO. With it being talked about openly, and honestly, it may help prevent suicides. They may not to be in the state of mind to realize the impact of their suicide on their family.

Here recently, in my local area, a man confessed to his girlfriend that he had been molesting her young daughters for a year now. He confessed, she called the cops, he drove at a high rate of speed into a tree. While I am not sorry for the loss of his life, I am sorry these children and the guy's family have to see it and hear it over and over and over on the news.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

The phychologist/ doctor said one of the theories going around was a common link with Face book the social net-working site ( i've never been there so don't know much about it)

He said that after some of the deaths a lot of people began leaving really nice messages about the kids that had died and in some cases (sorry if this sounds crude) but it gave the dead person a kind of celebrity status .
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

pantsonfire321@aol.com;780783 wrote: The phychologist/ doctor said one of the theories going around was a common link with Face book the social net-working site ( i've never been there so don't know much about it)

He said that after some of the deaths a lot of people began leaving really nice messages about the kids that had died and in some cases (sorry if this sounds crude) but it gave the dead person a kind of celebrity status .

That's the sad aspect of what's happening in Wales, the achieving of a type of immortality.

I don't think that those with their mind set on suicide will see the true consequences of their actions, they think that no-one will miss them, everyone will be better off etc when the reverse is true.

Those toying with the idea may well be put off by the coverage and the comments from the families.

Should we censor the coverage? No I don't think so, there's a danger that it would make it more appealling by not discussing it and suicide is an everyday occurance, it's part of life - I've known two people who did it and I don't think anyone goes through life completely untouched by it.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

My cousin who at aged 24yrs was a prison officer, good job, divorced with 2 girls but a reasonably good relationship with the ex wife and a great new relationship decided one day to gas himself in his car. That was it kaput......We have never ever been able to understand what drove him to it...Everything was normal at his home, plenty of money, food prepared for the evenings tea etc...

As a prison officer he probably had quite alot of knowledge on suicide etc..

I can see what your saying about the nice messages on facebook and others reading it wanting to be part of it etc...But taking your own life, hanging your self, now come on, you have to be disturbed or depressed etc.. surely to follow it through. Its one thing to be depressed and feel suicidal and another to actually be so low you would tie a noose round your own neck and kill yourself.

Its so sad and I really dont know what the answer is.
Mystery

Post by Mystery »

We're taught to talk candidly about it (both in school and in trainings). We're also taught to see the smaller signs, as many times people who are seriously suicidal (meaning to the poitn of having a plan of action) won't talk about it outright, as they don't want to be stopped.
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Wow, Suicide is a crazy thing. I struggled with that once in my life. But, I don't think we are talking about it enough. I remember a time when i had 7 friends commit suicide in about a year. I also had a friend in like another state giving a eulogy for his friends who hung themselves and stuff... It's a huge thing.
Smoke signals ftw!
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

Our nephew committed suicide in 2006.

His father committed suicide in 2007.
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.

Return to “General Chit Chat”