1990 Buick Regal 3.1 liter motor with engine problems

A forum to discuss the wheeled vehicle that you love.
trentdog

Post by trentdog »

Two weeks ago, I replaced the fuel filter on my 1990 Buick Regal. I then drove it in town, it started to hesitate and then stalled. After twenty minutes it restarted and I drove it to a relative's house. On the way, it started to cut out , but did not die. I then replaced the fuel pump. Then, I test drove it and it drive fine for a half-mile and the car started to cut out and finally stalled. It restarted and when I stepped on the gas it kept dying. I restarted it and went really slow (about 25 mph) and managed to get it home. Does anybody have any ideas about what the problem could be?
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Sorry Trent I know nothing about cars.

Welcome to FG :-6
Peg

Post by Peg »

Hi trentdog and welcome to the garden. :-6 Is the problem worse going uphill?
trentdog

Post by trentdog »

rjwould;796946 wrote: I'm assuming it's fuel injected, is that right?. When you changed the fuel filter you may have disturbed some dirt and caused the injectors to clog, if it has a carburetor, you may need to spray the carb with cleaner. You may have even installed the filter backwards.

Why did you change the fuel filter to begin with?

Reply: To rjwould: The car is fuel-injected. I changed the fuel filter because the car would die as I would go to take off. I did not put the fuel filter on backwards.
Peg

Post by Peg »

We had a car where we changed the fuel filter numerous times. The solution finally was to have the gas tank removed and drained. We had gotten gas with dirt in it.
spot

Post by spot »

If there were water in the fuel it would show up if you opened the injector. It has exactly the effect you're describing.

A build-up of rust from the tank into the fuel line would be easy to notice as well.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

My two cents:

1. Check the crank sensor.

2. Check those injectors.

Good luck!
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

After Working on a few Buicks. with the 3.1. there is only two things That I have run into.

1.Ignition Module

2.Had one with bad Computer. Sounds like yours.

I would take the car to say a place like Auto Zone for free engine check. and Igition check.

It sure sounds like bad computer. From the way you put it.

Note you can buy reman. computer for one half the cost of new. Good luck
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Check the catalytic converter. It is probably clogged, it takes time to build up the back pressure then it cannot exhaust quickly enough and the back pressure is what is making it stall.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

trentdog;796921 wrote: Two weeks ago, I replaced the fuel filter on my 1990 Buick Regal. I then drove it in town, it started to hesitate and then stalled. After twenty minutes it restarted and I drove it to a relative's house. On the way, it started to cut out , but did not die. I then replaced the fuel pump. Then, I test drove it and it drive fine for a half-mile and the car started to cut out and finally stalled. It restarted and when I stepped on the gas it kept dying. I restarted it and went really slow (about 25 mph) and managed to get it home. Does anybody have any ideas about what the problem could be?

A faulty fuel filter?

Replace a part and the engine immediately develops a fault then pound to a penny it's the part you've just replaced.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

YZGI;798391 wrote: Check the catalytic converter. It is probably clogged, it takes time to build up the back pressure then it cannot exhaust quickly enough and the back pressure is what is making it stall.

You don't think it sounds like fuel starvation? Start to demand more fuel than the filter is letting through and, once any reserve is used, it dies until you drop the demand.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bryn Mawr;798436 wrote: You don't think it sounds like fuel starvation? Start to demand more fuel than the filter is letting through and, once any reserve is used, it dies until you drop the demand.
I was assuming he changed the fuel filter for a reason. i.e. the stalling and low acceleration he is still experiencing. The symptoms he describes, once you check the fuel pressure, have shown to be clogged converters or inner exhaust pipe collapses. If his fuel pressure is ok then he needs to check his exhaust pressure and make sure he has no restrictions.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

YZGI;798440 wrote: I was assuming he changed the fuel filter for a reason. i.e. the stalling and low acceleration he is still experiencing. The symptoms he describes, once you check the fuel pressure, have shown to be clogged converters or inner exhaust pipe collapses. If his fuel pressure is ok then he needs to check his exhaust pressure and make sure he has no restrictions.

Fair enough, thanks for the info :-)
shimmy

Post by shimmy »

If you can get a fuel pressure gauge, install it on the fuel rail, near the PS pump.

Test drive it and check the fuel pressure. Going by memory it should be at least 30 PSI or more.

If the FP is low, can be a bad fuel filter or you have installed the Fuel pump incorrectly? ( fuel sock on the Fuel pump folded over, causing a restriction.) Or the connection between the fuel pumnp and the tank unit is collasped?

Why did you replace the fuel filter?

Return to “General Chit Chat”