Right Back At You!!

A forum for ForumGardeners to post news about themselves.
cherandbuster

Right Back At You!!

Post by cherandbuster »

Hi Gang :)

As some of you probably know, I had three back surgeries years ago -- two in 1995 and one in 1997. I take medication everyday for the discomfort. My MD and I decided that I should try going to a Pain Clinic at a hospital to see if they could come up with a longer-term solution for my pain.

Here's what happened at the Clinic on my Monday 3/17 appointment: I am scheduled for a steroid shot on 3/26. The MD doesn't know if my pain is caused by the joint, the muscle or the remaining disk that is left in the L4/L5 area, so this is a little bit chancy. He will use an x-ray machine to guide the (BIG FAT) needle to the area where he thinks it will help the most. He can re-do this up to 2 more times in a 6-month period. Steroid shots are usually more effective for short-term pain or nerve pain, neither of which I have. But anything is worth a try!

I also got a TENS Unit and an Electronic Muscle Stimulation Unit. These units are the size of a Walkman. I hook up electrodes to my back and the TENS Unit makes my nerves experience pain in a different way, hopefully eliminating or reducing it. I can use it a couple of times a day for an hour or two each. The EMS Unit sends electronic stimulation directly to the muscles in the affected area; I can use this machine twice a day for 45 minutes each. (I guess that gives me about 20 minutes of 'non-machine' time left per day )! These little babies cost about $27 per month to rent.

Have any of you experienced any of the above? I'd love to hear any feedback my fellow Gardeners have :-6
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

cherandbuster

Right Back At You!!

Post by cherandbuster »

Thank you Idgie :-6

The reason I definitely needed each surgery was that a piece of my disk had broken off -- each time. The broken pieces had to be removed, as they were pressing against a nerve. I now have very little disk in the L4/L5 area.

I'm glad to hear your husband's success story. Helps me keep the faith! :)
Live Life with

PASSION

chocoholic

Right Back At You!!

Post by chocoholic »

Cher, I haven't had surgery but have had a back problem for the past 10/11 years following a couple of bad falls.

Have tried acupuncture (which didn't help my back but cured my tension headache problem!)

Had 12 months of physiotherapy which didn't really help much.

Used a tens machine regularly but then found a BACKLIFE machine which I now use twice a day (morning and evening) for 12minutes each time and this has been my saviour, although my back does get slightly niggly from time to time, I am not now in constant pain and discomfort.

Check here for more information http://http://www.backlife.com/

Hope that the pain clinic will help you as I know there is nothing worse than recurring pain for dragging you down and making you feel low.

Will be thinking of you:-4
cherandbuster

Right Back At You!!

Post by cherandbuster »

Thank you my friend Choco :-4

I watched the demo -- very interesting! I had never heard of this product before. How did you first hear about it? :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

cherandbuster

Right Back At You!!

Post by cherandbuster »

jimbo;808692 wrote: My back is fine by the way and it must be very good looking as most people say they are really pleased to see the back of me :-3:-3:D

You just gotta love Jimbo :-4

What does Suzy do for the pain?
Live Life with

PASSION

chocoholic

Right Back At You!!

Post by chocoholic »

cherandbuster;808664 wrote: Thank you my friend Choco :-4

I watched the demo -- very interesting! I had never heard of this product before. How did you first hear about it? :-6

My physiotherapist recommended it because I was finding it a bit of a financial strain visiting him on such a regular basis and this machine basically replicates what a physiotherapist does for just a "one off" purchase payment.:)
Accountable

Right Back At You!!

Post by Accountable »

My BIL has had several surgeries for some sort of degenerative condition he has in his spine. They've installed an electrode thingy directly on his spine with an electrode & battery under his skin. He has a remote control he uses to increase or decrease the power, depending on the pain he feels. He has to go back every five years or so to get the batteries changed. He says it helps him function.
cherandbuster

Right Back At You!!

Post by cherandbuster »

Accountable;808858 wrote: He says it helps him function.

Acc :-6

I'm happy to say I can still pretty much function. No more swinging from the chandeliers :p but just about everything else :)
Live Life with

PASSION

Patsy Warnick

Right Back At You!!

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Cher

Been there and back - around & around YES to all of the above.

L4, L5 - surgery 1996 due to that same huge needle your describing.

I won't allow Dr's to inject me - ever..!!

I now get a back massage to relieve some pain.

Be careful following Dr's Orders ..!!

Try Yoga before that needle & steroids.

Patsy
CARLA

Right Back At You!!

Post by CARLA »

Cher I feel your pain. I broke my neck in 1987 and had surgery to remove and repair 4 cervical discs C4,5,6,7 I have pain everyday as well.

I spent the better part of 10 years disabled due to my neck during that time I wore the TEN unit (didn't help much). Also did the Steroid shots they stopped working as well.

I finally was put in a pain management program with physiological help as well constant physical therapy I learned how to deal with CHRONIC PAIN. It was a long hard road daily but I came out the other side with the knowledge of how to deal with PAIN.

I went back to work about 10 years ago and haven't looked back. I have adjusted my life according to my pain threshold and that is the way I live. I'm pretty much drug free only taking them when I really need them. Excercise(not killer stuff but a program specific to my needs), proper sitting, posture and a long extenstion cord on my HEATING PAD and I can pretty much do everything I use to well almost. ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Patsy Warnick

Right Back At You!!

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Carla

great news to hear you can deal & manage your pain

Eveyrone deals & manages with their pain or I should say

Actually the pain - manages you

Patsy
cherandbuster

Right Back At You!!

Post by cherandbuster »

Patsy, JAB and Carla :)

Thanks for your interesting comments

Patsy, you got it right when you said "the pain manages you"

That's what determines what you're capable of doing each day :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

Nomad

Right Back At You!!

Post by Nomad »

You were alive in 1955 ?

Sorry stuff just falls out of my mouth.

My wife went through this.

She did it 3 or 4 times but it didnt really help.

She needed surgery because goo was coming out of her spine.

That did work, shes back to normal now and the laundry

is getting done again.

I do believe it works wonders for others though.

I hope your one of the lucky ones.
I AM AWESOME MAN
chrisb84uk

Right Back At You!!

Post by chrisb84uk »

Hiya Cher I haven't seen you in a while, so it's lovely to see you again!!! :-6
cherandbuster

Right Back At You!!

Post by cherandbuster »

Chris, it's *always* a pleasure to see you!

Nomad, it's *almost always* a pleasure to see you :p
Live Life with

PASSION

chrisb84uk

Right Back At You!!

Post by chrisb84uk »

Thanks Cher. :)

Hehehe Nomad just never changes does he. :wah: :D
YZGI

Right Back At You!!

Post by YZGI »

cherandbuster;808950 wrote: Acc :-6

I'm happy to say I can still pretty much function. No more swinging from the chandeliers :p but just about everything else :)

Is this maybe how the back got hurt in the first place?:cool:
cherandbuster

Right Back At You!!

Post by cherandbuster »

YZGI;810494 wrote:

Is this maybe how the back got hurt in the first place?:cool:

* Good point . . . Cher needs to give this some thought *:-3 :)
Live Life with

PASSION

cars

Right Back At You!!

Post by cars »

How did I miss this Cher, oh yeah, I need glasses! :wah: Back troubles are a pain in the arse, to say the least! It's good that you can do all you want to do, except for maybe (as you said) swingling from the chandeliers! But on the other hand, maybe you could just start off with a "low-hanging, small", chandelier! :D:p;)
Cars :)
cherandbuster

Right Back At You!!

Post by cherandbuster »

cars;813197 wrote: maybe you could just start off with a "low-hanging, small", chandelier! :D:p;)

How about a table lamp? :p
Live Life with

PASSION

cherandbuster

Right Back At You!!

Post by cherandbuster »

Hi Gang :)

My latest back update (I'm making pretend you are all waiting with bated breath to see how I'm doing :p)

I had three steroid shots on Wednesday. There were a total of six injections, including the lidocaine shots to numb the area up.

The MD asked me if I wanted to take a Valium to relax; I told him I wasn't really nervous and have never taken one before. He strongly recommended it so that my body would be relaxed and not 'jerk' around when the needles went in.

What a spacy feeling! I realized that that's why they make you bring someone to drive you home :)

As of today, no relief -- and a worsening of pain. They say the shots, if they take effect at all, will bring relief in 3-10 days.

We'll see . . . :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

qsducks

Right Back At You!!

Post by qsducks »

Cher I do hope you get some relief soon and try not going back to the chandelier, have you tried the ceiling fan?
cherandbuster

Right Back At You!!

Post by cherandbuster »

qsducks;818885 wrote: Cher I do hope you get some relief soon and try not going back to the chandelier, have you tried the ceiling fan?

I'll give that one a 9.1 :D
Live Life with

PASSION

qsducks

Right Back At You!!

Post by qsducks »

Well it's the ceiling fan or you could always go with the tree swing.
cherandbuster

Right Back At You!!

Post by cherandbuster »

Hi Guys :)

Well . . . I'm scheduled for an MRI next Friday. I haven't had one since before my 3rd back surgery in 1997.

I'm excited about this because maybe we will find out what the heck is going on in there :-3! I meet with my MD the following Friday to discuss the MRI results and determine what our course of action will be.

The three steroid shots I had 1 1/2 weeks ago have had no effect. Right now, it's just medication that is helping me keep it together. At the level of pain that I have, there are only three meds that are used for long-term pain relief: OxyContin, morphine and methadone.

The MD wants me to try methadone. He spent a lot of time explaining to me that I should NOT feel strange taking a drug that heroin users take to get off their heroin. I told him that I was fine with it. From all my research, I knew that these were the three medications that would be available for my type of pain problem (before I even saw him). So I definitely went into my appointment 'armed' with information. :guitarist

Have any of you tried this med before? I'd love some input from my fellow Gardeners :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

cherandbuster

Right Back At You!!

Post by cherandbuster »

Hi Guys :-6

Well . . . I'm scheduled for an MRI next Friday. I haven't had one since before my 3rd back surgery in 1997.

I'm excited about this because maybe we will find out what the heck is going on in there :-3! I meet with my MD the following Friday to discuss the MRI results and determine what our course of action will be.

The steroid shots I had 1 1/2 weeks ago have had no effect. Right now, it's just medication that is helping me keep it together. At the level of pain that I have, there are only three meds that are used for long-term pain relief: OxyContin, morphine and methadone.

The MD wants me to try methadone. He spent a lot of time explaining to me that I should NOT feel strange taking a drug that heroin users take to get off their heroin. I told him that I was fine with it.

From all my research, I knew (before I even saw the MD) that these were the three medications that would be available for my type of pain problem.

Have any of you tried this med before? I'd love some input from my fellow Gardeners :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

CARLA

Right Back At You!!

Post by CARLA »

I have had my fair share of Morphine over the years since I broke my neck and had no problems with it at all. Doses regulated by me as needed when necessary.

Spinal or Back pain isn't something you can see like a broken arm or leg so Doctors tend to think your not in as much pain as you say your are. Once you have convinced them your flippin pain is real then they effectively start treating it.

With all the pain medications I have taken I never even thought about become addictited you see I was in so much pain that wasn't possible.

I hope they find the problem Cher and you can get some relief somehow someway. I know they have new procedures now for back, or disc problems that are non-invasive.

Keep us up to date please. :yh_hugs
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

cherandbuster

Right Back At You!!

Post by cherandbuster »

CARLA;827766 wrote: I have had my fair share of Morphine over the years since I broke my neck and had no problems with it at all. Doses regulated by me as needed when necessary.

Spinal or Back pain isn't something you can see like a broken arm or leg so Doctors tend to think your not in as much pain as you say your are. Once you have convinced them your flippin pain is real then they effectively start treating it.

With all the pain medications I have taken I never even thought about become addictited you see I was in so much pain that wasn't possible.

I hope they find the problem Cher and you can get some relief somehow someway. I know they have new procedures now for back, or disc problems that are non-invasive.

Keep us up to date please. :yh_hugs

Carla :)

You're awesome. Have I told you lately that I love you? :-4

I think all these doctors at Pain Clinics are trained to look for drug seekers. I'm sure they must get tons of them.

I don' t think I've ever exhibited a 'drug-seeking' mentality; in fact, I told my MD that I've never taken more pain medication than has been prescribed for me. Besides, why would I want to 'overtake' on one day -- that will just leave me with less for the following days :thinking:.

He said he never prescribes OxyContin anymore -- it is too addictive and has a bad reputation. He said that methadone is the one to try first because it is cheap (about $10 per month) and has the least propensity for addiction.

Well, it makes me drowsy and a little nauseous, along with some itching and dry mouth. MD wants me to stick it out for at least two weeks, as the side effects will probably lessen over time.

Did you find the morphine helpful for your particular situation? :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

CARLA

Right Back At You!!

Post by CARLA »

Cher actually I did find it most helpful since I could dose myself I knew what to take so I could stay alert but pain free. They weren't prescribing Methadone for anyone but drug addicts when I broke my neck so Morphine was really the only alternative I had at the time and I was glad it was available.

I have tried OxyContin in the past and I really didn't care for it made me sick. We are each different in the way drugs act in our system if you don't like Methadone after you give it a week or so try Morphine. I used it in liquid form many years ago that came with a special dose-measuring spoon or cup. Now days it comes in pill form that is time released.

[QUOTE]Did you find the morphine helpful for your particular situation? [/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Return to “Members' News”