Sierra Club Goofs with Clorox

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Before You Write That Next Check to the Sierra Club...

Ken Silverstein

March 28, 2008

Before you write that next check to the Sierra Club, check out this story:

The Sierra Club’s national board voted March 25 to remove the leaders of the Club’s 35,000-member Florida chapter, and to suspend the Chapter for four years. It was the first time in the Club’s 116-year history that such action has been taken against a state Chapter. The leadership of the Florida Chapter had been highly critical of the national board’s decision in mid-December 2007 to allow The Clorox Company to use the Sierra Club’s name and logo to market a new line of non-chlorinated cleaning products called “Green Works.” In return, Clorox Company will pay Sierra Club an undisclosed fee, based partly on product sales. The Clorox Company logo will appear on the products as well. A 2004 report by the U.S. Public Interest Research Group Education Fund named The Clorox Company as one of the nation’s most chemically dangerous.

Full story:http://www.precaution.org/lib/08/slippe ... 080327.htm

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

InChI=1/ClO.Na/c1-2;/q-1;+1

That cant be good.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I don't like heavy-handed leadership. From RG's link:

Among grass-roots Club members, the process for making the decision,

as much as the decision itself, is cause for anger and dismay. The

Club has 1.3 million dues-paying members, many of who are active

volunteers in their local communities. Volunteers and paid national

staff sometimes have different perspectives on what's most important

to the Club.

When grass-roots members pointed out that Clorox was fined $95,000

for violating U.S. pesticide laws just as the deal with the Club was

being brokered, staffer Johanna O'Kelley dismissed Clorox's

culpability, saying their violation was "a technicality."

Sounds like someone's been to tap-dance class. :yh_eyebro

From www.cloroxgreenworks.com

Green Works is also the first line of natural cleaners developed by a major consumer products company. To commemorate this launch, Clorox today announced an alliance with the Sierra Club.

“One of the Sierra Club’s primary goals is to foster vibrant, healthy communities with clean water and air that are free from pollution,” said Sierra Club Executive Director Carl Pope. “Products like Green Works help to achieve this goal in the home. We’re looking forward to working with Clorox and the Green Works team to promote a line of natural cleaning products for consumers who are moving toward a greener lifestyle.”

“Our partnership with the Sierra Club is significant for Green Works but also for The Clorox Company as we continue the focus on our sustainability efforts,” said Knauss. “Industry plays an important role in environmental conservation. We are looking forward to working with the Sierra Club so that we can continue to be part of the solution.”

But do they have a reason to complain about Clorox? Is their new ingredient green? The main ingredient is a "nonionic surfactant." They never explain what that is. Their toilet cleaner includes glycolic acid, which Google only shows as a skincare product. If I were an environmental-type, which I'm not, I'd expect Clorox and Sierra Club to be far more forthcoming.

Return to “Conservation The Environment”