Definition Of Religion

jones jones

Definition Of Religion

Post by jones jones »

is this a fair definition of religion?

"Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of 10 things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these 10 things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! . . . But He loves you!" —George Carlin
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Ted

Definition Of Religion

Post by Ted »

jj:-6

It is obvious that George Carlin doesn't understand religion.

Shalom

Ted:-6
along-for-the-ride

Definition Of Religion

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Religion is organized faith.

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Richard Bell

Definition Of Religion

Post by Richard Bell »

jones jones;903542 wrote: is this a fair definition of religion?

"Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of 10 things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these 10 things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! . . . But He loves you!" —George Carlin

Hell, yes! (Pun intended).

I also like Bart Simpson's comment after Lisa read aloud from a book on the religious beliefs of an ancient American Indian civilisation:

Lisa: The mound builders worshipped turtles as well as badgers, snakes and other animals.

Bart: Thank God we've come to our senses and worship a carpenter who lived 2000 years ago.
Accountable

Definition Of Religion

Post by Accountable »

Of course it's not fair. I love good-natured jokes as much as the next guy, and Carlin is a favorite, but to deride another person's religion is as low and disrespectful as to laugh and make rude comments about a person's spouse. One Gardener does this, though it's become rarer, and it is truly disgusting.
Victoria

Definition Of Religion

Post by Victoria »

I don't know, I think if you boil it down to the bare bones then yes its a fair discription.

Of course religion is more complex, more emotional of course there is faith and belief involved but otherwise.....Yes thats it
Daniyal

Definition Of Religion

Post by Daniyal »

Definition Of Religion Controling The Mass = Mind Control
Never Argue With An Idiot. They Drag You Down To Their Level Then Beat You With Experience.

When An Elder Passes On To Higher Life , Its Like One Of The Library Have Shut Down

To Desire Security Is A Sign Of Insecurity .

It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble

When you can control a man's thinking you don't have to worry about his action ...:driving:
K.Snyder

Definition Of Religion

Post by K.Snyder »

No...This is just a joke...

"But he loves you" was the punchline...

Anyone who tries to pass this excerpt off as a legitimate definition of religion is one who is conforming a religion out of atheism and is trying to pass their beliefs on to others in the same way many see other religions trying to pass their beliefs on to others...
K.Snyder

Definition Of Religion

Post by K.Snyder »

Daniyal;919176 wrote: Definition Of Religion Controling The Mass = Mind Control

How have you come to that conclusion?...

By the exact same thing you've said in..."Definition Of Religion Controling The Mass = Mind Control" isn't mind control?...How?...What's the difference?...
Daniyal

Definition Of Religion

Post by Daniyal »

K.Snyder;919227 wrote: How have you come to that conclusion?...

By the exact same thing you've said in..."Definition Of Religion Controling The Mass = Mind Control" isn't mind control?...How?...What's the difference?...

Pick One Tough Guy !!!!!
Never Argue With An Idiot. They Drag You Down To Their Level Then Beat You With Experience.

When An Elder Passes On To Higher Life , Its Like One Of The Library Have Shut Down

It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble

When you can control a man's thinking you don't have to worry about his action ...:driving:
K.Snyder

Definition Of Religion

Post by K.Snyder »

Daniyal;919285 wrote: Pick One Tough Guy !!!!!

Pick one what, "Tough Guy !!!!!"?...
Daniyal

Definition Of Religion

Post by Daniyal »

K.Snyder;919325 wrote: Pick one what, "Tough Guy !!!!!"?...

You Remind me of one of those kids who was pick on as a kid , And now you want everyone to think your tough guy , :wah::wah::wah: But I'm noy buying it .. Laterrrrrrrr

K.Snyder

Definition Of Religion

Post by K.Snyder »

Daniyal;919329 wrote: You Remind me of one of those kids who was pick on as a kid , And now you want everyone to think your tough guy , :wah::wah::wah: But I'm noy buying it .. Laterrrrrrrr

You're not buying what?...

You remind me of one of those kids who tries to get under the skin of other kids and when confronted you skirmish off with your tail ducked behind your legs and say things like "Laterrrrrrrr"...
Daniyal

Definition Of Religion

Post by Daniyal »

K.Snyder;919330 wrote: You're not buying what?...

You remind me of one of those kids who tries to get under the skin of other kids and when confronted you skirmish off with your tail ducked behind your legs and say things like "Laterrrrrrrr"...

See I Told Yaaa . Now Now We Know Who Was Born With A Tail Don't We .. Can We Say Canaan Who Was Of The Curse Seed .

K.Snyder

Definition Of Religion

Post by K.Snyder »

Daniyal;919336 wrote: See I Told Yaaa . Now Now We Know Who Was Born With A Tail Don't We ..

You're a fool.
Daniyal

Definition Of Religion

Post by Daniyal »

K.Snyder;919338 wrote: You're a fool.

Now We Both Know He / She Now Here Don't We Canaan

Accountable

Definition Of Religion

Post by Accountable »

Daniyal;919285 wrote: Pick One Tough Guy !!!!!
I pick John Wayne. He's a tough guy.
gmc

Definition Of Religion

Post by gmc »

Accountable;903790 wrote: Of course it's not fair. I love good-natured jokes as much as the next guy, and Carlin is a favorite, but to deride another person's religion is as low and disrespectful as to laugh and make rude comments about a person's spouse. One Gardener does this, though it's become rarer, and it is truly disgusting.

Follow any religion you want but no religion should be allowed to prevent people criticising it or making fun of it. If the target was Scientology or new age Druidism would you find that equally offensive or would it be funny? It's funny because there is an element of truth in it. If faith is so fragile that laughter is seen as dangerous it does make you wonder about the mentality of religious groups.
Accountable

Definition Of Religion

Post by Accountable »

gmc;919650 wrote: Follow any religion you want but no religion should be allowed to prevent people criticising it or making fun of it. If the target was Scientology or new age Druidism would you find that equally offensive or would it be funny? It's funny because there is an element of truth in it. If faith is so fragile that laughter is seen as dangerous it does make you wonder about the mentality of religious groups.
I called for no law or prevention, only respect which is completely voluntary.
gmc

Definition Of Religion

Post by gmc »

Accountable;919669 wrote: I called for no law or prevention, only respect which is completely voluntary.

Didn't suggest you were but respect is voluntary and it's hard to respect religion. I can respect someone's beliefs so long as they respect my non-belief and right to question religious belief systems and express scepticism. (not you personally-I am speaking in general terms) religious belief is absurd and irrational and needs to be laughed at imo.

Blasphemy should not be a crime yet here in the UK we still have a blasphemy law although it is never applied-bet you still do in the states. Technically I suppose carlin is being blasphemous.

Laughing at religion can heal l. I was at a burn's supper where the entertainment was a protestant band from northern Ireland who came out with sectarian jokes on after the other with a few sexist ones thrown in for good measure that no one dared laugh at-terribly non PC nowadays. then the catholic priest stood up. His repertoire was just as sectarian and even funnier maybe just out of the relief of tension. religious jokes about atheists somehow aren't as funny.
K.Snyder

Definition Of Religion

Post by K.Snyder »

For the record,..I believe in my God...A God of divine righteousness...

But that joke was damn funny...
freethinkingthuthseeker

Definition Of Religion

Post by freethinkingthuthseeker »

heres my take on the definition of "Religion". In organised churches - particularly hierarchical ones - it is based around rituals repetition, mystery and even some superstition

My belief in God is Spiritual not religious. I know that God is creative, and loves spontaneity- take Jesus saying that vain repetitious prayers are not the way and I also understand that everything within us that is cleanly creative, compassionate, loving and considerate comes from God making us in His image.

Everything cynical, destructive, corruptive and negative is from the demons that joined satans rebellion. For example a beautiful piece of music with depraved lyrics.

God is indeed not a man up in space somewhere but the one true Just loving creator of this universe, this eternity and much more beyond these.

There are not just ten rules if you examine the Bible in detail and the recognition that the wages of sin is death and the gift of God is eternal life as well as amplification in Deuteronomy and tempered by the gospels is further guidance of Gods universal laws. When we truely think about these rules and the fact that whenever we breach any of the human ones, we will inevitably be hurting someone else, they make profound sense.

God is inside and outside this universe

My understanding of hell is a place where the fire referred to (as well as the gnashing of teeth) is in fact not the way the "religious" fire and brimstone preachers declare but a place where unrepentant sinners will languish and the fire will be the heat of extreme frustration within them that they are outside Gods amazing love.

Another definition of religion for me is people who believe in buddhism, the moonies, islam, hindusim, evolutionists, big bang adherents and atheists. Yes atheism is also a religion, for the real definition is whatever one believes in.

Yes within the religious Christian "churches", the idea of God is corrupted and sexual union in some cases is seen as bad but just look at the Song of Solomon!

The NT elaborates further with the spiritual union of two. Sex is clearly clean if done with love. Even the idea of what heaven will be like is corrupted so as to make it boring with hell as an attractive place. This is the devil working on man he cannot create but is a master of distortion this is equally evident from the Bible.

The Bible is undoubtedly Gods words for us and has many profound truths. It is much richer read in small portions and greater understanding comes through the grace of God by his HOLY SPIRIT.

I am not sure that God is purely Spiritual I suspect much more, after all His only begotten Son came to earth as a Man.

By the way Jesus never referred to Mary as his mother and nowhere in the Bible suggests that we should pray to her as far as I am aware, ditto to the saints of any other intermediaries except explicitly through the name Of Gods only begotten Son Jesus.

My life has been incredibly rich since my conversion in so many respects.

Deeper understanding of Gods nature and of what Jesus really did comes through revelation by Gods Holy spirit.

Bless you all to know God In Jesus name :-6
freethinkingthuthseeker

Definition Of Religion

BTW... Have you heard the catholic church is bringing out a new low fat communion wafer?.......

its called "I can't believe its not Jesus":wah:
Ted

Definition Of Religion

Post by Ted »

I fail to see what is wrong with the Qur'an, the Vedas, the Baghadvad-Gita. or buddhism for that matter.

A Christian pluralist

Shalom

freethinkingthuthseeker

Definition Of Religion

Ted;1273847 wrote: I fail to see what is wrong with the Qur'an, the Vedas, the Baghadvad-Gita. or buddhism for that matter.

A Christian pluralist

Shalom

With respect

Your discription of yourself as a Christian Pluralist appears to me to be an oxymoron.

I looked into the other religions before becoming a Christain

Buddism when you think about it can lead to the conclusion that you can justify anything.

I have read the quran and was surprised at how disappointing it was. It is incredibly repetitive, grammatically very poor ( in English at least), extremely disorgaised in subjects referred to, Historically inaccurate in Biblical history, spiritually bereft compared to the Bible and stunningly lacking in any new wisdom. As the author apparently had 23 years of "revelations which are supposed to be the content of the quran, it is astonishingly poor. It also contradicts imporant aspects of the Bible and repeatedly refers to Christ as " the son of Mary"!

The rest are little different to old pagan ideas whereas the Bible is a treasurehouse of wisdom love and a spiritual battle

If you really are a Christian, how can you compare the rest?

Bless you
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Definition Of Religion

Post by Bryn Mawr »

freethinkingthuthseeker;1274100 wrote: With respect

Your discription of yourself as a Christian Pluralist appears to me to be an oxymoron.

I looked into the other religions before becoming a Christain

Buddism when you think about it can lead to the conclusion that you can justify anything.

I have read the quran and was surprised at how disappointing it was. It is incredibly repetitive, grammatically very poor ( in English at least), extremely disorgaised in subjects referred to, Historically inaccurate in Biblical history, spiritually bereft compared to the Bible and stunningly lacking in any new wisdom. As the author apparently had 23 years of "revelations which are supposed to be the content of the quran, it is astonishingly poor. It also contradicts imporant aspects of the Bible and repeatedly refers to Christ as " the son of Mary"!

The rest are little different to old pagan ideas whereas the Bible is a treasurehouse of wisdom love and a spiritual battle

If you really are a Christian, how can you compare the rest?

Bless you

Is Christianity no longer a religion of tolerance then?

I find it hilarious that you find the Qur'an to be grammatically poor when read in English - that is hardly the fault of the Qur'an.

Also, claiming it to be historically inaccurate in Biblical history by comparing it to the Bible? Comparison of two sources can only tell you the differences, not which source is accurate.
Ted

Definition Of Religion

Post by Ted »

free:-6

I will stick by being a Christian pluralist. All of the great faiths of the world have the same two basic tenets: justice and compassion. What has been done with them since by many is questionable but that also holds true for the Christian faith.

As far as the Bible being historically accurate that is not supported by historians, scientists or archaeologists. There is some history there but not that much.

BTW we can also justify anything using the Bible including genocide, war crimes etc.

Perhaps you should concern yourself with the plank in your eye and leave the slivers in others to the Divine.

Shalom

Ted

Definition Of Religion

Post by Ted »

I'm not surprised by your stand on pluralism. All fundamentalists have the same stand. What they fail to realize that fundamentalism was a very human construction of the late 19th early 20cent. It does not go back to the church established by Jesus through the apostles. Interesting that modern fundamentalists think they know better than our Lord.

Fundamentalism--I've been there and done that and found it plain evil.

Shalom

Mate:-6
freethinkingthuthseeker

Definition Of Religion

Bryn Mawr;1274165 wrote: Is Christianity no longer a religion of tolerance then?

yesit is but not to ideas that lead astray to satan

I find it hilarious that you find the Qur'an to be grammatically poor when read in English - that is hardly the fault of the Qur'an. really? the bible is grammaticcaklly very accessible in all languages as expected

Also, claiming it to be historically inaccurate in Biblical history by comparing it to the Bible? Comparison of two sources can only tell you the differences, not which source is accurate. considering thatthe quran is 700 years after the End of the Biblical account of life which is also actually a conclusive end story, the quran is on top of my previous comments superflous and God does not waste anything. IT IS OBVIOUSLY FROM THE OTHER SIDE:-5

I note you have only commented on one of the faults I raised against the quran, does that mean you agree with the rest? Have you read it? I couldn't believe how poor it was. Jeffrey archer could have made a better quran!
freethinkingthuthseeker

Definition Of Religion

Ted;1274338 wrote: free:-6

I'm not surprised by your stand on pluralism. All fundamentalists have the same stand. What they fail to realize that fundamentalism was a very human construction of the late 19th early 20cent. It does not go back to the church established by Jesus through the apostles. Interesting that modern fundamentalists think they know better than our Lord.

Fundamentalism--I've been there and done that and found it plain evil.

Shalom

Thank you for your comments and bless you as you begin to sound ike a disalussioned catholic.

I have only attacked the philosophies of non biblical accounts, not the people who believe in those ideas. In respect of Fundamentalism, my definition of that is an extremeist of any " religion" who makes phyically violent acts aginst another human, whereas the real battle is in our spirits. With the greatest respect, I am confused if my presumption of your former catholicism is incorrect, for your statement that modern ideas of the truth from God is a result of modern thinking rather than a majority becoming literate enough to read and recieve Gods word s and multiple meanings from the amazing Bible by the growing revelations of the holy spirit. It is the same Bible and it clearly states that to live forever you must accept Jesus as the Son of God in your heart. All the other books you quoted do not have this essential tenet but that does not mean that people living by those codes will not eneter everlasting life. Does that make me a fundamentalist?

I explored all those earlier reffered to philosophies years ago and found them all sadly lacking; even logiically.I even did not trust the Bible but was hungry for truth and a fair just loving creator. Yet when I read the great Book for myself, I came to relise through the grace of GOD that that truely is our heavenly Fther.. I have only found the truth 4.2 years ago and my life has been so amazingly rich since thenWe are so loved by God it is beyond human comprehension but for us the key is developing spiritually. I mistrust the catholic church because nowhere in the bible does it say pray to mary or saints it is clearly Jesus who is the mediator.

The catholic church also fails to encourage people to know God for themselves and is incredibly ritualistic to the point of routine!! That is not Gods way, God is creative and loves spontaneous worship not repititious banality It is no surprise that one beomes disilusioned through that humdrum banality which gives Christianity a bad name

Forgive me if I am barking up the wrong tree it is just that you remind me of my former self before I found God

Great football results today BTW, Carefree:-6
Ted

Definition Of Religion

Post by Ted »

First of all I was never an RC. I was raised in a fundamentalist church in S. Ontario and found it evil in every sense of the word.

That being said I think that you simply do not understand the nature of faith. As for the definition of fundamentalism the dictionary does not agree.

You are setting the Bible up as a paper god and this leads directly to idolatry. To call the Bible "The word of God" is to put it in in place of the authentic word of God which is the risen One. That phrase rightly belongs to the One and not some book.

As I said look to the log in your own eye and leave others to look to the sliver in their's.

As far as my former self goes I've spent some 45+ years studying Christianity both formally and informally. i I continue to study at the Vancouver School of Theology.

Shalom

freethinkingthuthseeker

Definition Of Religion

Thank ou Ted, so what is your revelation about faith?

Do you have a one to one relationship with God?

Do you analyse the Bible by your own power of human logic or do you invite God to provide you with the Blessed wisdom of the Holy Spirit?

Do you recognise that the Holy spirit ids also the uktimate Comforter and font of Wisdom?

Do you recognise that The Bible IS the Wors of God?

Shalom
Ted

Definition Of Religion

Post by Ted »

I have lived most of my life in a relationship with the Divine. I do not rely on my own understanding. But I have studied extensively the history of the Bible as a book. I have studied translation and interpretation formally. This is to say nothing about intense and often prayer, meditation, study and discussion.

The Bible becomes for Christians "The Word of God" by virtue of the fact that God speaks to us through the very human words of the Bible not by virtue of its authorship.

There are at least 4 levels of interpretation. The original experiencer giving his/her interpretation of the experience. This is followed by the interpretation given by the writer to say nothing about the interpretation that come through the oral transmission of the sacred scriptures. Then we have the interpretation of the translators. Finally we have the interpretation that readers today give it.

I am a trinitarian understanding that any words we can use to describe the Divine or God if you will, are by there very nature metaporical for a mystery that none of us can truly understand.

I do not need a God of magic and make believe my ultimate trust is in God alone. That is the God we see manifest in one Jesus of Nazareth.

Shalom

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Definition Of Religion

Post by Bryn Mawr »

freethinkingthuthseeker;1274348 wrote: considering thatthe quran is 700 years after the End of the Biblical account of life which is also actually a conclusive end story, the quran is on top of my previous comments superflous and God does not waste anything. IT IS OBVIOUSLY FROM THE OTHER SIDE:-5

I note you have only commented on one of the faults I raised against the quran, does that mean you agree with the rest? Have you read it? I couldn't believe how poor it was. Jeffrey archer could have made a better quran!

Yes, I have read it and yes, I only commented on the most obvious flaw in your argument - now hows about responding to the points I made rather than putting up a smokescreen.

BTW. I am equally convinced that a half way decent novelist (not sure JA qualifies) could have written a work of fiction that reads better but that is totally irrelevant - it's not intended to be read as a novel and the author is not responsible for the quality of the translator you chose to read. The whole point is academic as it says nothing about the quality of the Qur'an as a work of scripture.
buttercup

Definition Of Religion

Post by buttercup »

I admit i have not read all the posts in this thread and it is most cetainly not my wish to upset any of the posters, many of whom i'm sure i respect as people, i am simply giving my interpritation of my own definition of religion.

Preys upon guilt of the conscience, disempowers free thought & speech, negative energy.
gmc

Definition Of Religion

Post by gmc »

It's a fair description of what religion has done but if you want a definition.

from the oxford english dictionary

religion

• noun 1 the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. 2 a particular system of faith and worship. 3 a pursuit or interest followed with devotion.

— ORIGIN originally in the sense "life under monastic vows": from Latin religio ‘obligation, reverence’.

I'm fairly sure you would all agree that is what religion is-belief in and worship of a controlling entity.

All religious dispute is about whose particular controlling entity is the right one to worship.

posted by freetghinkingtruthseeker

Thank you for your comments and bless you as you begin to sound ike a disalussioned catholic.

-------

I explored all those earlier reffered to philosophies years ago and found them all sadly lacking; even logiically.I even did not trust the Bible but was hungry for truth and a fair just loving creator. Yet when I read the great Book for myself, I came to relise through the grace of GOD that that truely is our heavenly Fther.. I have only found the truth 4.2 years ago and my life has been so amazingly rich since thenWe are so loved by God it is beyond human comprehension but for us the key is developing spiritually. I mistrust the catholic church because nowhere in the bible does it say pray to mary or saints it is clearly Jesus who is the mediator.

The catholic church also fails to encourage people to know God for themselves and is incredibly ritualistic to the point of routine!! That is not Gods way, God is creative and loves spontaneous worship not repititious banality It is no surprise that one beomes disilusioned through that humdrum banality which gives Christianity a bad name

If you'll excuse me butting in to your debate with ted.

All protestants dominations are disillusioned catholics-that was the whole point of the reformation people were disillusioned with the one "TRUE" church which of course you know having studied religion or the history of the christian church. That worship of idols in the catholic church and whether it is christian or not has been the cause of many deaths as the opposing sides settled their differences with blood-letting rather than discussion.

posted by ted

As far as my former self goes I've spent some 45+ years studying Christianity both formally and informally. i I continue to study at the Vancouver School of Theology.

Took me a lot less time to come to the conclusion it was a load of bunkum. What started to do it for me was as a child having (in sunday school) read all about how god made all living things and all mankind and then the israelites fleeing and how moses was shown the land of milk and honey and the people already living there and how this land was for the israelites. The obvious question was what would happen to the people already living there peacefully who were also god's creation and about to be conquered by another tribe at the behest of the god that supposedly made them both. Who wants to believe in a god that does things like that? The next one was the trials of job. What a bastard god was to one of his true followers and this was supposed to be the same one that brought along jesus tp preach tolerance, love and understanding.
Ted

Definition Of Religion

Post by Ted »

Just a few notes on "religion".

Religion Religion

Religions and belief systems (ancient and contemporary), religious history, mythology, ethics and humanism.

this resource in English is indexed under: Religion.

oun

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.

5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

7. religions, Archaic. religious rites.

8. Archaic. strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.

—Idiom

9. get religion, Informal.

a. to acquire a deep conviction of the validity of religious beliefs and practices.

b. to resolve to mend one's errant ways: The company got religion and stopped making dangerous products.

Origin:

1150–1200; ME religioun (< OF religion) < L religiōn- (s. of religiō) conscientiousness, piety, equiv. to relig(āre) to tie, fasten (re- re- + ligāre to bind, tie; cf. ligament ) + -iōn- -ion; cf. rely

Related forms:

re⋅li⋅gion⋅less, adjective

Dictionary.com Unabridged

Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.

Cite This Source

|

2 and 3 can quite clearly be read without reference to any religion. They even fit science.

Shalom

Ted
freethinkingthuthseeker

Definition Of Religion

freethinkingthuthseeker;1274348 wrote: considering thatthe quran is 700 years after the End of the Biblical account of life which is also actually a conclusive end story, the quran is on top of my previous comments superflous and God does not waste anything. IT IS OBVIOUSLY FROM THE OTHER SIDE:-5

Part two,

The Biblical account of history makes sense. The koranic tale is firstly supposed to respect the Bible and be a further development, yet the Biblical account is the full story. The quran is as I have mentioned before in another thread, unbelievably repetitive, short of deep content, disorganised by leaping freom one thing to another and jumping seemingly at random from one earlier biblical account to another.

The defence is that it is only truely understandable in Arabic which cotradicts the universality of what it purports to be.

Ted I will have to get back to you later as very busy right now but

Thanks again and bless you both

Return to “General Religious Discussions”