Piston Rings

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Nomad

Piston Rings

Post by Nomad »

VW Jetta 2.0 125,000 miles

Im consuming more oil than usual. No leaks, no visible smoke from exhaust, just consumption.

Dealer says piston rings...fine whatever.

The body and interior are tip top. Aside from the oil it runs like new, well maintained so Im keeping the car.

Is there anything else I should be getting done while they have the engine apart ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
YZGI

Piston Rings

Post by YZGI »

Nomad;906025 wrote: VW Jetta 2.0 125,000 miles

Im consuming more oil than usual. No leaks, no visible smoke from exhaust, just consumption.

Dealer says piston rings...fine whatever.

The body and interior are tip top. Aside from the oil it runs like new, well maintained so Im keeping the car.

Is there anything else I should be getting done while they have the engine apart ?
Do a wet and dry compression test to tell wether it is your rings..

If the wet test is 30- 40 lbs. higher it is your rings. If its not it could be your valve guides or valve seals..
YZGI

Piston Rings

Post by YZGI »

OOps,

you can also have a leak down test to help determine..
Mustang

Piston Rings

Post by Mustang »

Gas or Diesel?

1. Oil pump.

2. Water pump and timing chain.

3. Have the head checked, valve seals.

4. Since the motor is down that far they should know what needs to be done the right way.

5. What about a remain motor? May be cheaper in the long run.
Nomad

Piston Rings

Post by Nomad »

Mustang;906044 wrote: Gas or Diesel?

1. Oil pump.

2. Water pump and timing chain.

3. Have the head checked, valve seals.

4. Since the motor is down that far they should know what needs to be done the right way.

5. What about a remain motor? May be cheaper in the long run.

Gas

Had the water pump and timing chain done 15,000 miles ago

I was looking at motors...$3500.00/rings $1500.00
I AM AWESOME MAN
Mustang

Piston Rings

Post by Mustang »

Nomad;906060 wrote: Gas

Had the water pump and timing chain done 15,000 miles ago

I was looking at motors...$3500.00/rings $1500.00

Since you had alot of the work done on your motor already i would take the $1500.00 ring job myself. vs/ $3500.00.

and good luck to ya.
Nomad

Piston Rings

Post by Nomad »

Thank you.

Sometimes just the absence of a "WTF ? Are you some kind of idiot ?" goes a long way.
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Piston Rings

Post by CARLA »

Good advice from everyone. Exactly how much oil is it burning? Its a VW they burn oil like crazy. :D
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Nomad

Piston Rings

Post by Nomad »

CARLA;906114 wrote: Good advice from everyone. Exactly how much oil is it burning? Its a VW they burn oil like crazy. :D

More than should be

Maybe a quart every 1000 miles
I AM AWESOME MAN
YZGI

Piston Rings

Post by YZGI »

Nomad;906115 wrote: More than should be

Maybe a quart every 1000 miles
So if you drove it another 100,000 miles and added a quart every 1,000 miles, at around $3.00 a quart that would be $300.00. Good move Nommie..:wah:
CARLA

Piston Rings

Post by CARLA »

It's a VW thats not good, but not real bad. :D My sister had a VW Bug in the 70's. I had a 1973 Camaro in the 70's. We put 3 engines in that Bug and she sold it in the 90's. I still have the Camaro and dirve it daily same engine. ;) Sure the Camaro burns a little oil now as well it is 35 years old. VW's burn oil if you love the Car new engine maybe or the rings depends on how much you want to spend.

[QUOTE]More than should be

Maybe a quart every 1000 miles[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

CARLA

Piston Rings

Post by CARLA »

:wah: Couldn't afford one in the 60's. I'm happy with my 73 Camaro we are as one its been a very happy relationship for the past 35 year. I put gas in the car and go real fast if necessary. Granted with the price of gas I drive my Honda most places now. But when I want to feel cool I take the Camaro for a spin. ;)

[QUOTE]Best car ever made, IMO

Quote:

Originally Posted by CARLA

I had a 1973 Camaro in the 70's.

Better unload that puppy fast while you still can. And why didn't you have that 73 Camaor in the 60's if it was such a good car?[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Nomad

Piston Rings

Post by Nomad »

YZGI;906118 wrote: So if you drove it another 100,000 miles and added a quart every 1,000 miles, at around $3.00 a quart that would be $300.00. Good move Nommie..:wah:

Im clever that way
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Piston Rings

Post by CARLA »

:wah::wah: I'm think this is the route to take save your money.

[QUOTE]Quote:

Originally Posted by YZGI

So if you drove it another 100,000 miles and added a quart every 1,000 miles, at around $3.00 a quart that would be $300.00. Good move Nommie..

Im clever that way[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Nomad

Piston Rings

Post by Nomad »

Have you seen YGZYW's car muka poo ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Piston Rings

Post by Nomad »

Maybe he would post a pic...its a beauty !
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Piston Rings

Post by CARLA »

No?? I'm afraid, have you?. :-3

[QUOTE]Have you seen YGZYW's car muka poo ?[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

YZGI

Piston Rings

Post by YZGI »

nomad;906145 wrote: have You Seen Ygzyw's Car Muka Poo ?

Here it is..

Nomad

Piston Rings

Post by Nomad »

Too Sharp !
I AM AWESOME MAN
YZGI

Piston Rings

Post by YZGI »

Nomad;906155 wrote: Too Sharp !
Thanks
YZGI

Piston Rings

Post by YZGI »

I forgot to tell you guys about the car. My youngest is no longer driving it. He showed off the engine and forgot to latch the hood, when he drove off the hood flew off. He called me to tell me and said " Dad I think the hood is alright still" I said really? It flew off the flippin car ripped it off the hinges and you think it will be fine eh? :wah:

Anyway it's fixed again and he now drives a "91" chevy pickup..:wah:
CARLA

Piston Rings

Post by CARLA »

Whooo!! beautiful, beautiful, beautiful be still my heart I love the Cars of the 60's. I can't make out the emblem on the side, or see the grill details on the Car please?:cool: I'm thinking Chevy, Pontiac or Oldsmobile, could be all wrong.

Attached files
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

YZGI

Piston Rings

Post by YZGI »

CARLA;906164 wrote: Whooo!! beautiful, beautiful, beautiful be still my heart I love the Cars of the 60's. I can't make out the emblem on the side, or see the grill details on the Car please?:cool: I'm thinking Chevy, Pontiac or Oldsmobile, could be all wrong.
71 Olds Cutlass supreme convertible w/ cammed up 350 rocket engine and C-30 Ram air hood.
Nomad

Piston Rings

Post by Nomad »

Im sure thats early 70's

Yea you did tell about the latch incident

You can always get another son but you might never find one of those again....
I AM AWESOME MAN
YZGI

Piston Rings

Post by YZGI »

Nomad;906176 wrote: Im sure thats early 70's

Yea you did tell about the latch incident

You can always get another son but you might never find one of those again....
This was the second time on the hood..:wah:
YZGI

Piston Rings

Post by YZGI »

Some people have lawyers on retainer, I have a body shop on retainer..:wah:
Nomad

Piston Rings

Post by Nomad »

YZGI;906177 wrote: This was the second time on the hood..:wah:

Well lets have no more of that !
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Piston Rings

Post by CARLA »

I thought that was a Cutlass emblem on the side just a georgous Car. :-4

Rule #1 Kids don't get to drive classic cars till there in there 40's. That's how old my daughter is and I just let her have the extra set of keys to the Camaro this year. :Ds Maybe 2 times since I bought it (other than my mechanic)have I let anyone but me drive it just not going to happen. ;)

[QUOTE]71 Olds Cutlass supreme convertible w/ cammed up 350 rocket engine and C-30 Ram air hood.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Return to “Autos Vehicles”