Lard

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Sheryl

Lard

Post by Sheryl »

what a strange word.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
AussiePam

Lard

Post by AussiePam »

I think that it is not that hard

To write a poem denouncing lard

It's gonna get your tummy achin

If you eat much - (forget the bacon)

Shortening's bad - and you will rue it

If you eat dumplings made from suet

Lard is a narsty word to utter

My adipose-clad heart's a-flutter

But is is really worse than butter?
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

spot

Lard

Post by spot »

Oh bravo Pam, that's neat.

(and no, it's rather less physically harmful than butter though both are worse than vegetable spread, apparently. Unless any of them have been dehydrogenated in which case they're in a league of their own)
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Chezzie

Lard

Post by Chezzie »

Sheryl;925017 wrote: what a strange word.

Sheryl some say Lard Arse for a big bum:D

Great poem Pam...
Carolly

Lard

Post by Carolly »

AussiePam;925056 wrote: I think that it is not that hard

To write a poem denouncing lard

It's gonna get your tummy achin

If you eat much - (forget the bacon)

Shortening's bad - and you will rue it

If you eat dumplings made from suet

Lard is a narsty word to utter

My adipose-clad heart's a-flutter

But is is really worse than butter?Sure do....love me dumplings:D
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
AussiePam

Lard

Post by AussiePam »

Steak and kidney suet pudd!!

SWOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boiling bacon (pickled pork), black peppercorns, carrots, bayleaves, garlic, onion and suet dumplings

MEGA SWOOOONISSSSSIMOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:sneaky:

Should one refrigerate lard?????

Carolly

Lard

Post by Carolly »

:rolleyes:AussiePam;925180 wrote: Steak and kidney suet pudd!!

SWOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boiling bacon (pickled pork), black peppercorns, carrots, bayleaves, garlic, onion and suet dumplings

MEGA SWOOOONISSSSSIMOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should one refrigerate lard?????I dunno........abit of dumpling and yer anybody's:rolleyes::cool:
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
AussiePam

Lard

Post by AussiePam »

Yeah welll... anybody's as long as they have yachts, goldcards, class, good taste, are real males who don't shave their whatsits, and treat you like the goddess you are....

Carolly

Lard

Post by Carolly »

AussiePam;925183 wrote: Yeah welll... anybody's as long as they have yachts, goldcards, class, good taste, are real males who don't shave their whatsits, and treat you like the goddess you are....

:sneaky:Totally agree...........and not the type I normally get....poor...bald......toothless and a standin for a Garden Knome:(
AussiePam

Lard

Post by AussiePam »

I rather like Garden Gnomes... in their place, of course... Heck in a Garden. This is a garden... sigh.... :D

Chezzie

Lard

Post by Chezzie »

Two guys were friends...

One guy asked his buddy "why is it that your willy seems to be getting bigger?"

He replied " I rub it with oil"

So the other guy went home to give it a try...

About a month later he saw his friend again and complained "I've been rubbing my willy with oil 4 times a day and so far nothing has happened"

The other guy asked "well what kind of oil are you using?"

The friend said " well I've been using lard"

The guy replied" well no wonder that's not working... you've been using shortning :D
Carolly

Lard

Post by Carolly »

Chezzie;925203 wrote: Two guys were friends...

One guy asked his buddy "why is it that your willy seems to be getting bigger?"

He replied " I rub it with oil"

So the other guy went home to give it a try...

About a month later he saw his friend again and complained "I've been rubbing my willy with oil 4 times a day and so far nothing has happened"

The other guy asked "well what kind of oil are you using?"

The friend said " well I've been using lard"

The guy replied" well no wonder that's not working... you've been using shortning :D:DSooooo thats what his been doing wrong:thinking::-3
Carolly

Lard

Post by Carolly »

AussiePam;925196 wrote: I rather like Garden Gnomes... in their place, of course... Heck in a Garden. This is a garden... sigh.... :DOh gawd.....I better shut up:lips::driving:
AussiePam

Lard

Post by AussiePam »

According to Spot - butter is better.

Carolly

Lard

Post by Carolly »

AussiePam;925213 wrote: According to Spot - butter is better.
What for:confused:what we talking about now...........ang on what thread am I on.....better go and ave a lay down:driving:
spot

Lard

Post by spot »

spot wrote: (and no, it's rather less physically harmful than butter though both are worse than vegetable spread, apparently. Unless any of them have been dehydrogenated in which case they're in a league of their own)AussiePam;925213 wrote: According to Spot - butter is better.Here Pam, take this stick. No, stop, not that end!
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Sheryl

Lard

Post by Sheryl »

I bought some lard the last time I went grocery shopping. Canola and corn oil prices are outrageous. However I need a drippings jar. :D

my son
sunny104

Lard

Post by sunny104 »

aren't tortillas made with lard?? I LOOOOOOOOOOVE homemade tortillas! :yh_drool :D
Sheryl

Lard

Post by Sheryl »

Good cake frosting is made with lard too...:D

my son
theia

Lard

Post by theia »

grecianurn;925596 wrote: So's good pastry - 1/2 lard, 1/2 butter :)

Do you know how to make lardy cake? Tesco used to sell it but no longer do. It was lovely :-6
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Uncle Kram

Lard

Post by Uncle Kram »

Attached files

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
theia

Lard

Post by theia »

grecianurn;925667 wrote: Lardy Cake

Ingredients

15 Gram Yeast fresh (1 1/2 tsp dried + pinch of sugar) (1/2 oz)

300 ml Water, warmed (1/2 pint)

450 Gram Strong white flour (1 lb)

1 Teaspoon Salt

75 Gram Lard, diced (3 oz)

75 Gram Butter, diced (3 oz)

175 Gram Mixed sultanas and currants (6 oz)

50 Gram Chopped mixed peel (2 oz)

50 Gram Sugar (2 oz)

Method

Makes 12 slices

Preheat oven to 220 °C / 425 °F / Gas 7. Grease a 20 x 25 cm (8 x 10 inch) roasting tin. Blend the fresh yeast with the warm water. If using dried yeast, sprinkle it into the warm water with the pinch of sugar and leave for 15 minutes until frothy.

Put the flour and salt in a bowl and rub in 15g ( 1/2 oz) of the lard. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast liquid. Beat together to make a dough that leaves the sides of the bowl clean, adding more water if necessary. Turn on to a lightly floured surface and knead well for about 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place in a clean bowl. Cover with a clean tea-towel and leave in a warm place for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.

Turn the dough on to a floured surface and roll out to a rectangle about 0.5 cm ( 1/4 inch) thick. Dot one-third of the remaining lard and butter over the surface of the dough. Sprinkle over one-third of the fruit, peel and sugar. Fold the dough in three, folding the bottom third up and the top third down. Give a quarter turn, then repeat the process twice more.

Roll the dough out to fit the prepared tin. Put in the tin, cover and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes, until puffy. Score the top with a criss-cross pattern with a knife, then bake for about 30 minutes, or until well risen and golden brown. Turn out and serve immediately or leave to cool on a wire rack. Serve plain or with butter.

Thank you :-6 But you sort of missed the implication in my question...like, if you happen to be in Cornwall at some point, would you mind making me a lardy cake, please?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
AussiePam

Lard

Post by AussiePam »

I think Spot just threw a stick at me...

Here ya go!!!!

Avoir du chien in French of course means I'm a babe!! Thank you... WOOF !!!

sunny104

Lard

Post by sunny104 »

do you refrigerate lard? :p :D
Chezzie

Lard

Post by Chezzie »

sunny104;926972 wrote: do you refrigerate lard? :p :D

Treat it like BUTTER:D
Sheryl

Lard

Post by Sheryl »

Potatoes fried in lard is sounding so good right now..

my son
spot

Lard

Post by spot »

Sheryl;927074 wrote: Potatoes fried in lard is sounding so good right now..

It depends what you're eating them with. Beef dripping's perfect for frying them if you're serving beef.

Return to “General Chit Chat”