Can Intelligence Really Be Measured?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I saw an ad for an online IQ test tonight. It said "Tom Cruise's IQ is 124. Are you smarter than he is?" I wondered just how do you really, accurately, measure a person's smarts? Is it even possible? And just who are these people who create IQ tests? Not the silly online tests but the standardized test given in school and in some employment situations.

There's intelligence as in "book smarts" and then there is common sense. Do you have both? More of one than the other?

Do you know your IQ and does it mean anything to you?

Should we dispense with the IQ test?

Your thoughts??
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Nope.

IQ tests have never been consistent when I've tried them, score highly on occasions and then low on others.

IQ tests are no good to my son, yet he is highly intelligent in certain areas.

We're all different and we are all intelligent in certain things and not so intelligent in others.

Common sense, is that learnt or are we born with it?

Some people I know that appear to be highly intelligent are completely lacking in common sense :D
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Hell, I'm off the scale. I won't say which end of it though.:wah:
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Studies today talk about multiple intelligences, that people learn in different ways, make different connections, etc etc.

Interesting study, I think it was New Guinea but it could have been somewhere else. A child from a hunter-gatherer tribe was shown an array of standard plastic colored geometric shapes, then they rearranged them and asked her what was different. She couldn't tell. Then they did the same thing with various rocks picked up off the ground. They showed her the array, then rearranged them. She spotted every detail. I know I wouldn't recognize if one rock in a dozen had been moved.

Sure you can measure intelligence against a baseline, but it's a bit like measuring blue and calling it color. Magenta is undeniably color, but it's not blue at all, so it would fail miserably.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

depends how long your ruler is:D

common sense is more an asset that knowing some historic facts on a day to day basic...IMO
Odie

Post by Odie »

I had to have one for employment, owners said I did really really well, but was nervous the entire way through.............had no idea of this and took an hour of my time...............just meaning your already worried about the interview, then this................

Very tricky situations, but I found if I really took my time (no time limit on it) and perhaps re-read the question, and they were not all work-related, it really was no problem. I actually enjoyed it and did get the position upon changing my hair style!

basically it was common sense questions.
Life is just to short for drama.
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

I've done 2 IQ tests. One was 134 and the other 135 which is consistent at least. I think the UK average is around 105, but I wouldn't say I was particularly intelligent, I just know what kind of answers they're looking for. I'm sure there are more intelligent people scoring lower than me, so I don't take it too seriously. In answer to your question, I would say that if anyone could measure any intelligence in the kids that used to live across the road from me, I would be astonished. :D

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
G-man

Post by G-man »

Can intelligence really be measured?

I had my IQ tested for the very first time at a very early age, as I wasn't doing very well in school early on... the result? I was told that I did exceptionally well and that I most likely wasn't being challenged intellectually, so they scooted me up several years... later on, they discovered that was merely part of the reason why I was suddenly performing poorly in class, which was unusual for me. Anyway, from the time of those first scores to many times thereafter... my IQ scores have been rather consistent... which is true of the general test subjects. IQ generally doesn't change regardless of education (I have a Ph.D. and my scores from several years ago were only a few points higher than they were when I took the test thirty years ago), but you can change your level of intelligence and it can be measured. IQ tests, however, are only one imperfect method of measuring certain aspects of intellectual ability. What it doesn't account for are creativity, emotional and social intelligence... IQ has however, been proven to be a rather accurate indicator of intellectual potential.

IQ generally describes a score on a test that rates a subject's cognitive ability compared to the average population. IQ tests use a standardized scale with 100 as the median score. On most tests, a score between 90 and 110, or the median plus or minus 10, indicates average intelligence. A score above 130 indicates exceptional intelligence and a score below 70 may possibly indicate mental retardation. IQ tests measure your ability to comprehend ideas and not the quantity of your knowledge.

*Sits back and waits for an influx of posts from members alleging to have IQ's of 210 or higher...* :wah:

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Trunk Monkey

Post by Trunk Monkey »

I scored 310 but then again, I wasn't in my right "mind" to be tested that day:wah:

shelbell

Post by shelbell »

I don't care what my IQ is, I have tons of common sense, which to me is more important.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I am beautiful, no matter what they say! :guitarist

Words can't bring meeee doooowwwn!

*sniff*

Hastily added: That's not aimed at you, Shelbell! :o
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

You are correct Red, there are two kinds of intelligence-I have the high IQ but not enough common sense. A balance would be better. I do not think tests can accurately find out these figures, because some people will not score well on standardized tests.

Return to “General Chit Chat”