PC nerd looking for a little info

cars

Post by cars »

I am thinking of replacing "just" my troublesome *&%^$$# "harddrive" with a new Dell Harddrive. It comes with Windows "Vista" Home basic, SP1 installed. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I recall someone who just got windows vista a little while ago stated they were not that happy with it, but was still learning it's features. Anybody have any updated info on Windows Vista? I'm mainly just looking to play "on line games", & open emails, & such. Don't even know if Windows has anything to do with that!

Also, shows how really PC nerdy I am, I'm pretty sure that I can reuse my existing monitor/cables, & mouse & keybord from my old system, that's correct, yes?

Serious replies appreciated.
Cars :)
G-man

Post by G-man »

I recently updated from XP Pro to Vista and then removed it... I'm not convinced that it's an improvement from XP, personally. However, many are very much content with it. I tend to want to get the latest gadgets like many other techno geeks, but I also have been known to wait awhile until all the bugs are worked out and consider some new technology to be essentially in beta stage, still. I am sure that you are very familiar with this and new car models. :p Then again, my computer is also a work tool for me. Most individuals won't likely notice the issues that I have with Vista.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Chookie

Post by Chookie »

Vista SP1 is crap. In 3 or 4 years it might be a useful OS, but by that time Micros**t will be pushing something else.

Windows (of whatever incarnation) is one of many OS (Operating Systems), which all run in the background. They are the means by which your word-processors, spreadsheets, sound clips and so on are made available to you in a usable form instead of as binary data (1s and 0s - eg:- 01110100110101 -which is what your computer is working on).

Your hardware (cables/ keyboards and such) is easily transferred, you shouldn't have to replace them
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

We also got Vista when we replaced our computer. We then had to buy a new Quickbooks verison so that it would work with Vista. Though expensive I'm delighted with the new QB's program and am adjusting well to the other program layouts. They are easier to operate once you figure out how to use them. Receiving pdf files was also a problem until I figured out how to convert them.

Anything new takes time to learn, but once learned is just as easy to use.

Because I had to, I have learned more about our computer than I would have known had we not had to buy a newer computer.

If you have Vista, think positive and learn how to operate it. If we others neophytes are capable of working with it, so are you!
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

im happy with Vista and I have dell laptops running Vista with zero problems.:D
cars

Post by cars »

Thankyou all for your replies, looks like I'll be leaning towards getting a DELL -with Windows Vista! :)
Victor Meldrew

Post by Victor Meldrew »

If you are looking to play PC games on your computer then I would check to make sure your games are compatible with Vista, a lot of games are not and some you have to buy a newer version of the game in order to play it on a computer running Vista
cars

Post by cars »

Victor Meldrew;950686 wrote: If you are looking to play PC games on your computer then I would check to make sure your games are compatible with Vista, a lot of games are not and some you have to buy a newer version of the game in order to play it on a computer running Vista
Thanks for your input, this just confirms what I was kinda thinking all along. I was leaning towards going to Best Buy, or Circuit City, or the like, where they have putter weenies. And have them help me choose the right setup for me. I'm sure I will rest easier doing that! :)

Return to “Computers Internet”