Silly Quiz Question

Post your factoids here. Things you find interesting. Items that we may not know about.
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15908
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Silly Quiz Question

Post by Bryn Mawr »

In 1954 they made a film about a train journey called London to Brighton in Four Minutes - I've just watched it on the box and it was magnificent.

Anyone remember why?
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38761
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Silly Quiz Question

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1003054 wrote: In 1954 they made a film about a train journey called London to Brighton in Four Minutes - I've just watched it on the box and it was magnificent.

Anyone remember why?


They got Auden to write the commentary? It was advertising the Post Office?
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15908
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Silly Quiz Question

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1003061 wrote: They got Auden to write the commentary? It was advertising the Post Office?


I'm shocked - I nearly asked you not to give the game away too quickly :-)
User avatar
abbey
Posts: 15069
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:00 pm

Silly Quiz Question

Post by abbey »

:rolleyes:

Spoilsport spot. :wah:
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38761
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Silly Quiz Question

Post by spot »

I was right? I've not seen that film since - I'm trying to work it out - around twelve years after it was made. You mean I remembered the details? I'm horrified.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15908
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Silly Quiz Question

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1003073 wrote: I was right? I've not seen that film since - I'm trying to work it out - around twelve years after it was made. You mean I remembered the details? I'm horrified.


Not in the slightest - I am shocked that you didn't remember it :wah:

Wrong line completely.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38761
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Silly Quiz Question

Post by spot »

That's good then.

If it wasn't Auden then it was Betjeman, but it was Auden. I got that bit right at least?
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15908
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Silly Quiz Question

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1003101 wrote: That's good then.

If it wasn't Auden then it was Betjeman, but it was Auden. I got that bit right at least?


No commentary.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38761
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Silly Quiz Question

Post by spot »

Good lord - you had your sound muted, that's all! Go and try it again.

No commentary... that's a clue.

They were testing something. That's why they strapped a camera on the front of the locomotive.

Time-lapse? They'd just built a Natural History Unit time lapse camera?
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15908
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Silly Quiz Question

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1003106 wrote: Good lord - you had your sound muted, that's all! Go and try it again.

No commentary... that's a clue.

They were testing something. That's why they strapped a camera on the front of the locomotive.

Time-lapse? They'd just built a Natural History Unit time lapse camera?


If two or three frames per second is time lapse then just so but not a special camera.

I will put this thread in the hall of fame in commemoration :)
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38761
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Silly Quiz Question

Post by spot »

Bannister!!!!!!!!!!
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15908
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Silly Quiz Question

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1003115 wrote: Bannister!!!!!!!!!!


Bingo :-6
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38761
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Silly Quiz Question

Post by spot »

Roger, surely?
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15908
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Silly Quiz Question

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1003148 wrote: Roger, surely?


Whoever it was, it was an exciting ride :-)
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38761
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Silly Quiz Question

Post by spot »

spot;1003061 wrote: They got Auden to write the commentary? It was advertising the Post Office?


Here's what I had in mind:

Night Mail is a 1936 documentary film about a London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) mail train from London to Scotland, produced by the GPO Film Unit. A poem by English poet W. H. Auden was specially written for it, as was music by Benjamin Britten.

(in three parts)







The Betjeman reference was to a 1963 BBC programme showing the 24 mile S&D line from Evercreech Junction. In this first episode we reach Highbridge - then the end of passenger services.





Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15908
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Silly Quiz Question

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1006068 wrote: Here's what I had in mind:

Night Mail is a 1936 documentary film about a London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) mail train from London to Scotland, produced by the GPO Film Unit. A poem by English poet W. H. Auden was specially written for it, as was music by Benjamin Britten.

(in three parts)







The Betjeman reference was to a 1963 BBC programme showing the 24 mile S&D line from Evercreech Junction. In this first episode we reach Highbridge - then the end of passenger services.








Try :-

User avatar
spot
Posts: 38761
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Silly Quiz Question

Post by spot »

Here, I didn't see this film before but my goodness I remember that fortnight!



Snow, 1963

"Comprising train and track footage quickly shot just before a heavy winter's snowfall was melting, the award-winning classic that emerged from the cutting-room compresses British Rail's dedication to blizzard-battling into a thrilling eight-minute montage cut to music."
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38761
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Silly Quiz Question

Post by spot »

"Let's have a look at some headlice and see how they live"....

Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15908
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Silly Quiz Question

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1008001 wrote: Here, I didn't see this film before but my goodness I remember that fortnight!



Snow, 1963

"Comprising train and track footage quickly shot just before a heavy winter's snowfall was melting, the award-winning classic that emerged from the cutting-room compresses British Rail's dedication to blizzard-battling into a thrilling eight-minute montage cut to music."


I remember that winter well, it was fairly solidly frozen for nearly three months without respite. As I recall, 1966 was nearly as bad.

Impressive how great a depth of snow the train could shift once it was up to speed and how hard the men worked to give it a chance to get through.
DominoDeja
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:39 am

Silly Quiz Question

Post by DominoDeja »

Bryn Mawr;1008349 wrote: I remember that winter well, it was fairly solidly frozen for nearly three months without respite. As I recall, 1966 was nearly as bad.

Impressive how great a depth of snow the train could shift once it was up to speed and how hard the men worked to give it a chance to get through.


like Back to the future 3!

Return to “Did You Know?”