There's a thief among us.... at work that is.

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

I really, really need advice. I haven't been on FG for a while now, but I was just thinking that I could really use all the honest and different opinions from you all. Here's the story in a really quick nutshell:

I work in a nursing home. Lots of money, hundreds of dollars, has gone missing from several residents and staff, even the activities fund. All of the incidents, especially one where I was working that day, are very suspicious and really make me think that the girl I was working with is the thief. My boss also believes it is her. I usually try to think of alternatives to my suspicions of others, but everything kept reinforcing that gut feeling, not taking it away. Every time money goes missing, it is this woman who is the common thread.

So, here's my issue. The higher ups can't do anything about it because no one has caught her red-handed..... yet. She appears to be very clever. So, they aren't doing anything about it. They're keeping it very hush-hush, too. But, I still have to work with her and wonder what she'll do next.

How do I work with this woman in a civil manner knowing that she is stealing from these vulnerable people that is my job to protect?? What would you do?

Thanks for all and any advice.

P.S.

Although I can't really give many specifics, there are many things that have led me and others to the conclusion that she is the thief.
It is better to have your mind opened by wonder

than closed by belief.
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

1) How about a nanny-cam

2) Mark people's money and see where it turns up

3) Announce to the staff that there is a thief among them and advise them to be careful. This will also prompt people to be conscious of what others are doing and will make the thief a bit nervous.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Odie

Post by Odie »

leave it for the higher ups, any of your own involvement will only create problems for yourself.
Life is just to short for drama.
Lon

Post by Lon »

laneybug;1089364 wrote: I really, really need advice. I haven't been on FG for a while now, but I was just thinking that I could really use all the honest and different opinions from you all. Here's the story in a really quick nutshell:

I work in a nursing home. Lots of money, hundreds of dollars, has gone missing from several residents and staff, even the activities fund. All of the incidents, especially one where I was working that day, are very suspicious and really make me think that the girl I was working with is the thief. My boss also believes it is her. I usually try to think of alternatives to my suspicions of others, but everything kept reinforcing that gut feeling, not taking it away. Every time money goes missing, it is this woman who is the common thread.

So, here's my issue. The higher ups can't do anything about it because no one has caught her red-handed..... yet. She appears to be very clever. So, they aren't doing anything about it. They're keeping it very hush-hush, too. But, I still have to work with her and wonder what she'll do next.

How do I work with this woman in a civil manner knowing that she is stealing from these vulnerable people that is my job to protect?? What would you do?

Thanks for all and any advice.

P.S.

Although I can't really give many specifics, there are many things that have led me and others to the conclusion that she is the thief.

Get the dusting powder that they use to put on money that catches bank robbers.

Use rubber gloves to apply to some money that you leave in a place for the suspect to steal. The local police might help you with the powder and the ultra violet light used to detect the powder on hands. It's entrapment of course, but when she or he is confronted they may confess.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Laneybug

1st of all - always have your rear covered so suspicion won't fall in your direction.

To be sure and single out one individual - then you'd need to set her up.

Process of elimination.

I would work with my supervisor on the Process of elimination, not on your own.

set something out & Nanny cam the Object or SPY

could be a envelope of money ? - Jewlery ? it'll work...

This individual will now watch for special Holiday functions - perhaps volunteer.?

Other than the Facility Function Funds, she'll show interest in the arrivals/Residence, so, you can watch her for those ideas.

A Nanny Cam is a great idea - where to set it up?

do you/facillity have a safe? cash draw? or set it up in a new residence.? or your set up.?

Not much can be done unless you / Facility is absolutely positive..

Please set her up soon

I have a MIL in a Facility - I've watch thing disappear..?

Good Luck

and it's good to see you again

Didn't you get married?

Patsy
abbey

Post by abbey »

Shame on your bosses for putting you in this position!

It's an awful position they have put you in, I've been in a similar position and it almost makes you feel guilty.

Never mind hush hush, they should get the police involved, what about the people that have to live and work there?

There are ways to catch a thief and the nursing home should be doing this, Kindle gave some good examples.

I feel so sorry that you have to go to work and are made to feel so uncomfortable.

Good luck, take care. x
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

I agree with Abbey. The police should have been called in on this already. This is not a task for the staff and if, as you say, hundreds of dollars have gone missing, you should not be getting involved with finding the thief. Get the opinion of the other staff members regarding involving the police and work together to force management's hand in this. Doing nothing creates a bad suspicious working atmosphere.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

abbey;1089408 wrote: Shame on your bosses for putting you in this position!

It's an awful position they have put you in, I've been in a similar position and it almost makes you feel guilty.

Never mind hush hush, they should get the police involved, what about the people that have to live and work there?

There are ways to catch a thief and the nursing home should be doing this, Kindle gave some good examples.

I feel so sorry that you have to go to work and are made to feel so uncomfortable.

Good luck, take care. x

bloody good post Miss Abbsey:-4

Also Jester and Kindle give good advice but I believe bottom line lies with your employers who have an obligation to their staff and the residents and their families to get to the bottom of it
FUBAR

Post by FUBAR »

I go along with the guilt trip scheme. Say that there's a thief at work and really pour on the loss of trust and how despicable it is stealing from workmates and how hard they have to work to get that money. Tell them management know who it is and are setting up traps to catch them, make them so nervous that they can't work without looking over their shoulder all the time. And keep popping up just to say hi. :rolleyes:
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

By what I have read here, I am suspicious of the bosses because they are not dealing with this issue up front and post haste. Do they have something to hide?
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

along-for-the-ride;1090024 wrote: By what I have read here, I am suspicious of the bosses because they are not dealing with this issue up front and post haste. Do they have something to hide?

Money belonging to the inmates is probably meant to be kept in a locked safe or something along those lines.
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

OpenMind;1090131 wrote: Money belonging to the inmates is probably meant to be kept in a locked safe or something along those lines.

OM, they are called "residents" not imates. :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl Tho to them I'm sure they may feel more like imates than residents......................

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Paper money has identification numbers on it. Leave a wallet somewhere visible. Put a few low value notes in it and record the serial number of each note and the value of the note. When the money goes missing ask your boss to ask everyone to empty their wallets in her presence. Don't give her a chance to hide it. Say the police will be called to check the wallets of anyone who refuses. Better for her to own up to her boss than to the police.
Odie

Post by Odie »

in mom's nursing home, residents are told the staff is not responsible for any kind of theft, be it money or belongings.

(which is quite understandable)

It is the residents responsibility.

So mom has no money on her, if we get her hair cut etc. we then pay for it etc.

Even her treasured valuables never went there with her.

In residents rooms the doors are open, doors are only closed if a resistant wants it, there are no locks on the doors, any resident/caregiver/etc can walk in.

definitely not the place to leave cash or valuables around.

even mom' grandfather clock, the glass was smashed by one of the cleaning staff, other things have also been broken, these are accidents, but still.....

we paid alot to fix her grandfather clock and some ornaments cannot be replaced.

Her grandfather clock is no longer there, such a shame for mom.
Life is just to short for drama.
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

Okay, first off, thank you all for the replies and support. Yes, it's definitely awful working there, and I'm working on getting out as soon as possible.

To answer some questions:

Yes, the police have been involved. We, meaning the people who know what's going on, have all be interviewed and asked who we suspect it is. The officer who interviewed me even openly agreed that she suspected the same woman! So, what's the hold up, right??

Secondly, although more hundreds of dollars has gone missing, the police are no longer being called. I don't even think the State has been notified, which you'd think they should since they are involved in all nursing home affairs.

Yes, I am VERY SUSPICIOUS of admin. because they are trying to cover things up. Our administrator is a woman who is very concerned with PR and what "it would look like to others." That's practically her motto. Which is something to consider, but to this extent???

I'd leave it up to the higher-ups if they were actually doing anything.

I really like the "get her in on the catching a thief" idea. Never even thought of it!! I think I'll try that and see how it works. Even if she doesn't come clean, she'll eventually get caught and fired (I hope), and in the meantime I can make her a little uncomfortable.

Well, again, thanks!

than closed by belief.
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

Odie;1090214 wrote: in mom's nursing home, residents are told the staff is not responsible for any kind of theft, be it money or belongings.

(which is quite understandable)

It is the residents responsibility.

So mom has no money on her, if we get her hair cut etc. we then pay for it etc.

Even her treasured valuables never went there with her.

In residents rooms the doors are open, doors are only closed if a resistant wants it, there are no locks on the doors, any resident/caregiver/etc can walk in.

definitely not the place to leave cash or valuables around.

even mom' grandfather clock, the glass was smashed by one of the cleaning staff, other things have also been broken, these are accidents, but still.....

we paid alot to fix her grandfather clock and some ornaments cannot be replaced.

Her grandfather clock is no longer there, such a shame for mom.

I wanted to answer this one specifically, Odie, because it's such a sad thing for people to live the way your mom is.

Having money, in whatever amount, on a resident's person is sometimes the ONLY power they have. And for a facility to say it is the resident's responsibility if it gets stolen basically allows the facility to hire whatever crackpot they want. It's ridiculous. Our elderly should be treated with more dignity than that!!

As for the facility where I work:

Yes, our residents are told that if they have large amounts of money on them, that they should have it locked up for their safety. But, our residents are not in the nursing area. They are Residential Care. Huge difference than nursing. It is basically assisted living. Which means, that they should be treated as if the staff is working in THEIR HOME. So, if I were to go to a person's home to care for them, and their money went missing, I would be questioned. And rightly so. It's the same way at the facility where I work.

Also, if our residents have valuable belongings, say an expensive watch, we are to write that down on an inventory list with a physical description of it and any serial numbers, etc. so that their things may be with them.

Our residents are allowed to come and go as they please. So, sometimes they have shopping money on them because they go out so much. Again, I can't stress enough that it is as if they are in the home and we are the caregivers who are coming into that home.

Another thing.... you mentioned the door thing. Wow. In the state I work in, (Maine) they would close us right down for that! Our residents are allowed to have the doors closed, half way closed, open or whatever, at any time and for however long and for whatever reason. Some of our residents have their door closed all day long. That is considered their right to privacy. We, as staff, are to knock EVERY time we are about to enter their room, even if the door is wide open. If we don't, the State can write us up for noncompliance with regs.

Nursing homes do get a bad rep, but it is for reason's that Odie has stated, to be honest. All liability is off the staff, and that just leaves a huge open door for the kind of things that happen, like abuse or theft. The nursing home where I work has definitely gone down the drains, but only because of administration and one or two undesirable staff.

Luckily, the state of Maine has some of the toughest rules and regulations regarding assisted living, long-term care and rehab centers in the U.S. I suppose that's why this whole thing is so upsetting. You don't usually hear about it very much here.

Anyway..... sorry for my long-winded post everyone!! I just wanted to clear some things up. And please, please, please remember..... it is NEVER the resident's fault for their money to be stolen! Would it be YOUR fault if someone came into your home and stole your money??? I think not.

than closed by belief.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

LaneyB

After reading more of your situation - and your Boss/authority figure isn't concerned - perhaps the State should be notified.

Audit

you could call in confidence.

It's unfortunate this happens - and makes for a terrible atmosphere to be around.

Good Luck

Patsy
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

Yeah, like I said, I'm not sure the State has even been called. Sadly. I've been tossing this idea around, of calling anonymously. I think I will. Not sure what they can do, but at least they'll be aware.

Thanks again for everything!!

than closed by belief.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Best of luck, Laney. Keep us posted.
Ludwig Van B

Post by Ludwig Van B »

i think it’s already been said but the only word that springs into my mind is TRAP. i’m not sure how you might go about setting that up in your particular circumstances but i would like to tell you an amusing true story about someone i worked with many years ago who eventually got his comeuppance in quite a clever way.

i was working on a small building site one summer laying amtico flooring and the guys had installed an old fridge in an out house to keep their lunch and drinks cool. every morning this guy called ernie placed a communal pint of milk (for everyone to use for their tea) in the door of the fridge and by the early afternoon that milk had been drunk by person/persons unknown. hardly the great train robbery but it was getting annoying and after a week or two it appeared that whoever was doing it was generally doing it to wind this guy ernie up rather than satiating an unnatural desire to steal and drink milk. ernie took a few of us, who worked the farthest away from the fridge, into his confidence and told us that he had a cunning plan to unearth the dastardly milk snatcher.

one morning sometime shortly after ernies plan was hatched the culprit was spectacularly revealed. ernie decided to carefully remove the tin foil cap on the pinta, empty out the milk and replace it with white emulsion paint. the unsuspecting milk snatcher went into his normal routine confident that he would notch up another victory in secret and obviously opened the fridge in a flash, popped the foil cap and confidently began his urgent consumption of the ‘milk’ only to find that it was not what he thought.

ernie gathered the boys together on discovering the puddle and surrounding splattering of emulsion paint (spectacularly spat out by the evil doer) and quickly identified a paint splattered wayne as the culprit. we actually all had a great laugh about the whole thing and indeed the guy was having a laugh at ernies expense, but.what a clever plan, I hope that gave you a smile in an otherwise serious situation

Ludwig
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Ludwig Van B;1099395 wrote: i think it’s already been said but the only word that springs into my mind is TRAP. i’m not sure how you might go about setting that up in your particular circumstances but i would like to tell you an amusing true story about someone i worked with many years ago who eventually got his comeuppance in quite a clever way.

i was working on a small building site one summer laying amtico flooring and the guys had installed an old fridge in an out house to keep their lunch and drinks cool. every morning this guy called ernie placed a communal pint of milk (for everyone to use for their tea) in the door of the fridge and by the early afternoon that milk had been drunk by person/persons unknown. hardly the great train robbery but it was getting annoying and after a week or two it appeared that whoever was doing it was generally doing it to wind this guy ernie up rather than satiating an unnatural desire to steal and drink milk. ernie took a few of us, who worked the farthest away from the fridge, into his confidence and told us that he had a cunning plan to unearth the dastardly milk snatcher.

one morning sometime shortly after ernies plan was hatched the culprit was spectacularly revealed. ernie decided to carefully remove the tin foil cap on the pinta, empty out the milk and replace it with white emulsion paint. the unsuspecting milk snatcher went into his normal routine confident that he would notch up another victory in secret and obviously opened the fridge in a flash, popped the foil cap and confidently began his urgent consumption of the ‘milk’ only to find that it was not what he thought.

ernie gathered the boys together on discovering the puddle and surrounding splattering of emulsion paint (spectacularly spat out by the evil doer) and quickly identified a paint splattered wayne as the culprit. we actually all had a great laugh about the whole thing and indeed the guy was having a laugh at ernies expense, but.what a clever plan, I hope that gave you a smile in an otherwise serious situation

Ludwig

I think you've got your dates wrong on that story Ludwig or was it just a fantasy? ;);););)
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Ludwig Van B

Post by Ludwig Van B »

oscar;1099403 wrote: I think you've got your dates wrong on that story Ludwig or was it just a fantasy? ;);););)

it all came to me in a bizzare dream

and in that (midnight summers) dream it was the summer of 1983, monday june

6th to friday august 26th , but i could be lying, one will never know , will one

good luck tonight mush

Ludwig
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Does anyone know when non-toxic emulsion paint was first marketed?:wah:

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”