The Bush Presidency - a post-mortem autopsy

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
spot

Post by spot »

This is a good starter. FG has had any number of conversations wrecked by disagreement on whether there was an al-Qaeda presence in Iraq before the 2003 "liberation". President Bush has finally agreed on camera that there wasn't. He seems to be claiming that a US desire for regime change in Iraq motivated the invasion, something described at the time by the UK Attorney-General in his Cabinet briefing as an illegal act.

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1090868 wrote: This is a good starter. FG has had any number of conversations wrecked by disagreement on whether there was an al-Qaeda presence in Iraq before the 2003 "liberation". President Bush has finally agreed on camera that there wasn't. He seems to be claiming that a US desire for regime change in Iraq motivated the invasion, something described at the time by the UK Attorney-General in his Cabinet briefing as an illegal act.

YouTube - Bush On AQI Not Existing Before Invasion: 'So What?'

SO WHAT???????

It's almost as bad as Tony Blair being interviewed in America a couple of weeks ago and saying that he believed AT THE TIME Iraq had wmd's.

So, after all this time he admits there was no presence of Al-Quaeda at the point of invasion and it was done to stop them getting a foot-hold in the country??

To me, he trie's justification through 9/11 when is was Saudi pilots who struck at America.

What a ****wit!!!!!
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Scrat;1091038 wrote: The worlds better off without Saddam?

Let's see here. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pakistan, a nuclear power, is on the edge of outright rebellion and chaos, civil war. Afghanistan is not being pacified, just watch the mayor of Kabul. Somali pirates threaten major shipping routes. America is spending 100s of billions on homeland security, the war on terrorism and is in debt for the next 10 generations. Relations with Russia have eroded to the point of another cold war. America is headed towards what may be a worse depression than 80 years ago.

I think the world would be better off without this stinking idiot.

The press are correct when they say Bush is America's worst President but we must remember that Blair was riding all the way with him. Great Britain was lied to as well.

Bush didn't just screw up Iraq and foriegn policy, he screwed the lot up. I think America has been set back probably 100 years by the damage he has done.

and it will take a lot to put right. He has damaged America in the eyes of the world who now see America even more as an aggressive nation. It will be interesting to watch the legalitie's unfold as to weather Bush's invasion of Iraq was indeed legal. However, if he carrie's the blame, Blair should with him.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Lon

Post by Lon »

Nothing new---------the U.S. has tried to change a number of regimes over the years, overtly and covertly, all illegal I would think.
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

Hmmm... I find this very interesting. I discussion involving U.S. (and foreign) affairs, and not a single representative from the U.S. Unless Scrat is American, not sure.

Let me tell you guys something. After 9/11, we were sitting ducks. You better bet any other country would have retaliated. So we did. And the American people backed Bush 100% at the time.

Now it gets tricky. Yes, we have stayed in the Middle East WAY too long. We have asserted our so-called dominance WAY too much. I agree there. And, yes, Bush and many of his foreign policies have damaged the U.S. in many ways.

Unfortunately, what the world population fails to realize about America and its people is that the government has long ago stopped portraying what the average American citizen is and wants. American people continue to get crapped on by the world's nations, when in our very own streets there is an outcry for change and democracy. We are not only on the brink of a Depression, but on the brink of civil unrest and rebellion as well.

You act as though the U.S. is a place of terrible, war-mongering people. We, as average citizens, are not.
It is better to have your mind opened by wonder

than closed by belief.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

laneybug;1091447 wrote: Hmmm... I find this very interesting. I discussion involving U.S. (and foreign) affairs, and not a single representative from the U.S. Unless Scrat is American, not sure.

Let me tell you guys something. After 9/11, we were sitting ducks. You better bet any other country would have retaliated. So we did. And the American people backed Bush 100% at the time.

Now it gets tricky. Yes, we have stayed in the Middle East WAY too long. We have asserted our so-called dominance WAY too much. I agree there. And, yes, Bush and many of his foreign policies have damaged the U.S. in many ways.

Unfortunately, what the world population fails to realize about America and its people is that the government has long ago stopped portraying what the average American citizen is and wants. American people continue to get crapped on by the world's nations, when in our very own streets there is an outcry for change and democracy. We are not only on the brink of a Depression, but on the brink of civil unrest and rebellion as well.

You act as though the U.S. is a place of terrible, war-mongering people. We, as average citizens, are not.

I have driven from the State of Washington down HW 1 to the Mexico border.

I went to Huston Texas and travelled from there along the Southern States through New Orleans over to Florida.

I drove from Canada down the east coast again to Florida.

I have driven around the great lakes region.

I have always, and I mean always, met only the warmest and friendliest people and have been made welcome everywhere I have been. The generosity always amazes me.

Do not let the political arguments confuse things.

I will be back again, hopefully many times. I want to see the Grand Canyon, and I would like to see more of the North East.

Because of the global impact that your country has on the world, you will never escape the political arguments, but this no reflection of the people who live there.
Oscar Namechange

laneybug;1091447 wrote: Hmmm... I find this very interesting. I discussion involving U.S. (and foreign) affairs, and not a single representative from the U.S. Unless Scrat is American, not sure.

Here we go again with another American thinking automatically that any critisism of your President is about you and the people of America.

If you read my previous post, i also said that our own previous Prime Minister lied to us in Great Britain and he should be held accountable the same as Bush.

You were not sitting ducks after 9/11 any more than we were. We also had death and destruction brought to our streets by Al-Quaeda at the same time. You may choose to google the 'London Tube Bombings' to learn more.

It was not all about America, Al-Quaeda is a global problem against war on terror. There were bombings in London and Bali that killed hundreds. Had it not of been for the British anti-terrorism intelligence, there would have been many more but they were tracked down.

The reason that 9/11 occured was down to sloppy air-port proceedure and security. Doubled with an arrogant President who thought America was un-touchable. his complacency contributed to the deaths in 9/11.

As i have said many times in other posts, the pilots in the planes were Saudi, not Iraqi or Afghan. Why did Bush not invade Saudi?

If you came and wrote a post telling me that my former Prime Minister was an idiot, a liar and a war-monger, I'd agree with you and not take it it personally.

I watched my former Prime Minister bring interviewed live in America two weeks ago and he said that Britain invaded Iraq because he believed they had wpd's AT THE TIME. He admited that it is now apparent that they never did.

Your president Bush was interviewed and arragantly said SO WHAT? That is what this thread is about. Your President's arrogance, not the people of America.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

mikeinie;1091473 wrote: I have driven from the State of Washington down HW 1 to the Mexico border.

I went to Huston Texas and travelled from there along the Southern States through New Orleans over to Florida.

I drove from Canada down the east coast again to Florida.

I have driven around the great lakes region.

I have always, and I mean always, met only the warmest and friendliest people and have been made welcome everywhere I have been. The generosity always amazes me.

Do not let the political arguments confuse things.

I will be back again, hopefully many times. I want to see the Grand Canyon, and I would like to see more of the North East.

Because of the global impact that your country has on the world, you will never escape the political arguments, but this no reflection of the people who live there.

You can come to the Northeast anytime friend and I'll treat you to a cheesesteak and a Phillies game.:)
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1091488 wrote: You can come to the Northeast anytime friend and I'll treat you to a cheesesteak and a Phillies game.:)

Your Phillidelpia Phillie's card has top spot on the wall in my house.

I hope to visit America again shortly, so we may just pop in for a nice cup of tea. (British of course.)
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1091489 wrote: Your Phillidelpia Phillie's card has top spot on the wall in my house.

I hope to visit America again shortly, so we may just pop in for a nice cup of tea. (British of course.)

I've been straigtening up today, shopping, baking, laundering....:wah: so what do I do I come here to get my head on straight:wah:. Would love to have you but you must bring some scones & clotted cream.:-4
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1091491 wrote: I've been straigtening up today, shopping, baking, laundering....:wah: so what do I do I come here to get my head on straight:wah:. Would love to have you but you must bring some scones & clotted cream.:-4

What a co-incidence!!!

I just bought clotted cream :-4:-4

Just done a massive food shop in Asda. To all british Peeps... it's heaving, be prepared for an hour wait at the checkout.

I'll bring scones, home-made strawberry jam and clotted cream. Oh and the British tea!! :-4
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1091494 wrote: What a co-incidence!!!

I just bought clotted cream :-4:-4

Just done a massive food shop in Asda. To all british Peeps... it's heaving, be prepared for an hour wait at the checkout.

I'll bring scones, home-made strawberry jam and clotted cream. Oh and the British tea!! :-4

Do you have any raspberry jam? Does the British tea come in mint flavor?
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1091502 wrote: Do you have any raspberry jam? Does the British tea come in mint flavor?

yes, we can do home-made raspberry jam as well and mint tea is very popular here as well. :-4
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1091509 wrote: yes, we can do home-made raspberry jam as well and mint tea is very popular here as well. :-4

Cool. Just lets not invite Bush & Cheyney. Don't want those two in my house:wah:
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1091511 wrote: Cool. Just lets not invite Bush & Cheyney. Don't want those two in my house:wah:

Or Tony Blair!!!

I can't believe that the idiot is being paid a small fortune to give talks all over America. Who the heck would pay to listen to that war-mongering lying piece of dog terd??
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1091517 wrote: Or Tony Blair!!!

I can't believe that the idiot is being paid a small fortune to give talks all over America. Who the heck would pay to listen to that war-mongering lying piece of dog terd??

I respected him when he was dealing with Clinton but with Bush he became a lap dog. It was irritating to watch a smart man become such a toady.:mad:
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1091521 wrote: I respected him when he was dealing with Clinton but with Bush he became a lap dog. It was irritating to watch a smart man become such a toady.:mad:

Oh, how i agree.

On this interview, he was asked about his relationship with Bush. I was squirming in my chair listening to him defend Bush in the way he did.

It's got to go down in history as the worst double act. Bush and Blair including Thatcher and Raegan, they were as bad, but i always thought maggie secretly loved old Ronnie. there again, Tony probably loved old Dubya :yh_rotfl
spot

Post by spot »

laneybug;1091447 wrote: Let me tell you guys something. After 9/11, we were sitting ducks. You better bet any other country would have retaliated. So we did. And the American people backed Bush 100% at the time.

You act as though the U.S. is a place of terrible, war-mongering people. We, as average citizens, are not.I started the thread. Far from "failing to realize about America and its people", I've been saying time after time in threads going back years that "the US government has long ago stopped portraying what the average American citizen is and wants".

"After 9/11, we were sitting ducks" makes no sense to me - after 9/11 I'd have thought the entire US was alert and well-defended. The puzzle is that none of the existing NORAD procedures worked on the day. The US was averaging two or three military interceptions a week on planes going off course, every time there was a newspaper article about NORAD it boasted of their efficiency in intercepting quickly and invariably. And then on the day they stood back and watched. Does nobody in the US at least ask why there's been no public inquiry into what went wrong? Who screwed up? You wouldn't think there could be a collective blind spot that 300 million people all deliberately refused to look at.

What you've had in President Bush's terms of office is a White House which has implemented every declared policy of Osama bin Laden. Even if you'd elected bin Laden as President instead I doubt if he could have got more of what he wanted than he's been given. "And the American people backed Bush 100% at the time"? Well more fool the American people, eh? Who lowered the defences?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I have never backed Bush in any of his causes, wars, policies, etc. The man is a moron plain & simple.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Retaliating is all well and good but it has to be targeted at those responsible for the attacks and not at people you just don't happen to like.

The US is a country of people just like anywhere else - some appear to be gung-ho but the majority are not. The Americans I have spent time with have been lovely people. I do not think there are many who have a problem with the American people - just the actions of the US government in making a bad situation worse.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Well Laney Bug----------I happen to be American, presently in New Zealand, and though our country is not a war-mongering people, our government has made some really stupid foreign policy decisions. Have you noticed how we have supported and continue to support some dictators as long as they have something that we need? Haven't we made commitments to governments and then later reneged? It's great to love one's country, but let's not overlook some of it's warts and blemishes, because the rest of the world sure sees them, and it's important to maintain credibility to garner respect, which at this point in time we do not have from the rest of the world.
Oscar Namechange

Lon;1091557 wrote: Well Laney Bug----------I happen to be American, presently in New Zealand, and though our country is not a war-mongering people, our government has made some really stupid foreign policy decisions. Have you noticed how we have supported and continue to support some dictators as long as they have something that we need? Haven't we made commitments to governments and then later reneged? It's great to love one's country, but let's not overlook some of it's warts and blemishes, because the rest of the world sure sees them, and it's important to maintain credibility to garner respect, which at this point in time we do not have from the rest of the world.

Unfortunately, the rest of the world has lost much respect for America. It was once a country that the rest of the world envied.

The Vietnam war was also deemed a failure for America but easily forgotton to some. The failure of the Iraq war stirs the memorie's of Vietnam and does not put the US in a great light.

It is sad that it will take many many years for America to erase the memory of Bush's policie's not just in foriegn policy but economic and internal also.

We are well aware here that our former PM played a very large part in invading Iraq without just cause and he will also go down in history along with Bush as the aggressor.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1091570 wrote: Unfortunately, the rest of the world has lost much respect for America. It was once a country that the rest of the world envied.

The Vietnam war was also deemed a failure for America but easily forgotton to some. The failure of the Iraq war stirs the memorie's of Vietnam and does not put the US in a great light.

It is sad that it will take many many years for America to erase the memory of Bush's policie's not just in foriegn policy but economic and internal also.

We are well aware here that our former PM played a very large part in invading Iraq without just cause and he will also go down in history along with Bush as the aggressor.

Two pompass arrogant so-called leaders. May they both rot in hell. Oh and along with Dick Cheney who was the most scariest vp of all time.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

jimbo;1091612 wrote: i'll go along with that :-6:-6:-6

Thanks Jimbo:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1091615 wrote: Thanks Jimbo:yh_rotfl

Jimbo really has no idea who Cheney is.

When you said 'Dick' he thought you meant 'Dick Van dyke' in 'Mary Poppins'. :yh_rotfl
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1091662 wrote: Jimbo really has no idea who Cheney is.

When you said 'Dick' he thought you meant 'Dick Van dyke' in 'Mary Poppins'. :yh_rotfl

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

They interviewed Cheney on Fox News (the only people/reporters he'll talk to) and he defended all the insane things the Bush admin did like water boarding, etc., torture and I almost fell out of my chair when he claimed that Bush could start a nuclear war without informing the government, congress or the military.

My children make fun of him and always say "don't go hunting with Dick Cheney":yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1091669 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

They interviewed Cheney on Fox News (the only people/reporters he'll talk to) and he defended all the insane things the Bush admin did like water boarding, etc., torture and I almost fell out of my chair when he claimed that Bush could start a nuclear war without informing the government, congress or the military.

My children make fun of him and always say "don't go hunting with Dick Cheney":yh_rotfl

I think that in terms of bad press, Cheney has got off very lightly. Bush seems to be getting all the backlash now and Cheneys name is barely mentioned here at all.

You should have heard Blair defending Bush in America, it was sickening.
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

oscar;1091487 wrote: Here we go again with another American thinking automatically that any critisism of your President is about you and the people of America.

If you read my previous post, i also said that our own previous Prime Minister lied to us in Great Britain and he should be held accountable the same as Bush.

You were not sitting ducks after 9/11 any more than we were. We also had death and destruction brought to our streets by Al-Quaeda at the same time. You may choose to google the 'London Tube Bombings' to learn more.

It was not all about America, Al-Quaeda is a global problem against war on terror. There were bombings in London and Bali that killed hundreds. Had it not of been for the British anti-terrorism intelligence, there would have been many more but they were tracked down.

The reason that 9/11 occured was down to sloppy air-port proceedure and security. Doubled with an arrogant President who thought America was un-touchable. his complacency contributed to the deaths in 9/11.

As i have said many times in other posts, the pilots in the planes were Saudi, not Iraqi or Afghan. Why did Bush not invade Saudi?

If you came and wrote a post telling me that my former Prime Minister was an idiot, a liar and a war-monger, I'd agree with you and not take it it personally.

I watched my former Prime Minister bring interviewed live in America two weeks ago and he said that Britain invaded Iraq because he believed they had wpd's AT THE TIME. He admited that it is now apparent that they never did.

Your president Bush was interviewed and arragantly said SO WHAT? That is what this thread is about. Your President's arrogance, not the people of America.

That's fine, oscar. I can completely see your point. I have no arguments. I'm just stating that if people are going to speak poorly about our obvious governmental issues you will eventually get a response similar to mine. Americans have become so sensitive to how terrible Bush has represented us. Yes, at times it does feel personal.

than closed by belief.
Oscar Namechange

laneybug;1091843 wrote: That's fine, oscar. I can completely see your point. I have no arguments. I'm just stating that if people are going to speak poorly about our obvious governmental issues you will eventually get a response similar to mine. Americans have become so sensitive to how terrible Bush has represented us. Yes, at times it does feel personal.

None of the posts on here about America are ever personal or about the American people. We all have friends here on FG.

Unfortunately, you have been badly let down by a President who has dominated world news for 8 years, in a dramatically bad way. When the world's press are discussing your country, it's very difficult to not expect other country's to comment.

I don't know if you have ever seen a British newspaper, but most of them carry headline's concerning Bush and America.

I see what has happened to America under the Bush Administration as extremely sad. America is a proud and patriotic country.

You will have a new president and VP in any day soon and i hope Obama can bring about the change he has promised and return America to the nation it once was.
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

You're stating things as though I'm arguing against them.

At any rate, we have British events headlined in our papers too. Also events from many other countries. It's called World Affairs.

And, let's face it, whatever president America has, many countries will find a way to criticize him.

This is not personal, it's simply how it is and I'm acknowledging that.

than closed by belief.
Oscar Namechange

laneybug;1092403 wrote: You're stating things as though I'm arguing against them.

At any rate, we have British events headlined in our papers too. Also events from many other countries. It's called World Affairs.

And, let's face it, whatever president America has, many countries will find a way to criticize him.

This is not personal, it's simply how it is and I'm acknowledging that.

If you have British headlines in America then you will know that we have a police force that we are ashamed of.

It's untrue that we would critisize any American President. You have have had some brilliant Presidents in the past. If Obama's time doesn't run out and he keeps his promises, you could have another great one and we'd be the first to say so.

Happy christmas America,

Oscar
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1091749 wrote: I think that in terms of bad press, Cheney has got off very lightly. Bush seems to be getting all the backlash now and Cheneys name is barely mentioned here at all.

You should have heard Blair defending Bush in America, it was sickening.

He must be on Bush's payroll:mad:
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1092789 wrote: He must be on Bush's payroll:mad:

Got to be!!

I can imagine the two of them in private.

George.... Look Tony, just stick to the story and we'll be fine. We'll come out looking like hero's and no-one will care about all the innocent iraqi's we've killed.

Tony... OK Dubya, whatever you say mate.
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

oscar;1092676 wrote: If you have British headlines in America then you will know that we have a police force that we are ashamed of.

It's untrue that we would critisize any American President. You have have had some brilliant Presidents in the past. If Obama's time doesn't run out and he keeps his promises, you could have another great one and we'd be the first to say so.

Happy christmas America,

Oscar

I can only hope that Obama does make changes like he's promised. Of course, he only has 4 years to do it if he doesn't get re-elected, and there's a lot of fixing up to do. At least he can get the ball rolling for future generations.

Honestly, what I'd like to see America succeed in is a better economy and better foreign affairs policies. Ugh, I know that's a tall order.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to all. Always thankful for the interesting conversation. :)

than closed by belief.
Oscar Namechange

laneybug;1093413 wrote: I can only hope that Obama does make changes like he's promised. Of course, he only has 4 years to do it if he doesn't get re-elected, and there's a lot of fixing up to do. At least he can get the ball rolling for future generations.

Honestly, what I'd like to see America succeed in is a better economy and better foreign affairs policies. Ugh, I know that's a tall order.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to all. Always thankful for the interesting conversation. :)

Happy Christmas to you too laneybug and America.

I'm just chillin with a nice bottle of port and some olive's (italian of course)

My Prime Minister comes in for massive critism on this forum so i know how you feel.

I hope Obama succeeds although i would never have voted for him myself. He has a huge mess to sort out with foriegn affairs, the economy and health etc etc. You should start to see results after about a year i hope.
spot

Post by spot »

As far as goodwill to America, I note that this year's major addition to Nativity scenes across England are models of Barack and Michelle Obama among the shepherds at the crib. It would be hard to think up a more auspicious start to his Presidency.
spot

Post by spot »

Jester;1093478 wrote: ahahahahaha like they were there... oh that kills me, now hes been crowned a wise man too?

...next you'll tell me the UK invited the Sultan of terror himself, the PM of Iran Abeenalien to give an anti christmas adress too.

When will the insanity end?:-2

Not only did they invite him, I'll watch him. In my informed opinion, having read and seen quite a bit that the two of them have written over the years, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is far and away the better man than the one this thread was put up to discuss. He will improve my Christmas. Watching an address by the present American incumbent would, by contrast, sour the day.

The insanity is one country trying to both unilaterally "police" the world in its own interests and at the same time insanely expecting the world to be grateful. The world is throwing shoes as insults. Inviting President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to address the people of Great Britain on Christmas Day - on one of the five national freeview terrestrial channels, not some obscure cable output - is one of the shoes. I'll start a thread on what he says if you like.
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

spot;1093446 wrote: As far as goodwill to America, I note that this year's major addition to Nativity scenes across England are models of Barack and Michelle Obama among the shepherds at the crib. It would be hard to think up a more auspicious start to his Presidency.

:wah:

It really is crazy. I go to a coffee shop regularly in the next town over, and there he is, OBAMA, in full size cardboard with that dime store smile. Alright, I admit, he has a very nice smile, but still. It's creepy. He's everywhere!

Speaking of it, have you guys seen those plates that they've made featuring his face? It has its own little stand and all. Now that's creepy. Really, do people have that much space in their home to own crap like that? I thought we were going through a bad economy. Who's shelling out $19.95 for that junk?

I love his smile, I do. And I hope he's as honest as he says he is. But I really don't need cardboard replicas of the president leering over me while I drink my Chai tea!! :rolleyes:

than closed by belief.
Oscar Namechange

laneybug;1093595 wrote: :wah:

Really, do people have that much space in their home to own crap like that? I thought we were going through a bad economy. Who's shelling out $19.95 for that junk?

They are buying up the suveniers at that price now because when he's assassinated very shortly, they will be worth a small fortune on e bay. :(:(
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

oscar;1093602 wrote: They are buying up the suveniers at that price now because when he's assassinated very shortly, they will be worth a small fortune on e bay. :(:(

Oh goodness. I hope not. Really, I hear so many people saying that he'll be assassinated. Honestly, I've had that thought myself. I guess that's why I find it so creepy that there's already all this plaque-type stuff.

than closed by belief.
spot

Post by spot »

The Christmas Speech of President Mahmoud AhmadinejadIf Christ were on earth today, undoubtedly He would stand with the people in opposition to bullying, ill-tempered and expansionist powers. If Christ were on earth today, undoubtedly He would hoist the banner of justice and love for humanity to oppose warmongers, occupiers, terrorists and bullies the world over. If Christ were on earth today, undoubtedly He would fight against the tyrannical policies of prevailing global economic and political systems, as He did in His lifetime.

The full text of a Christmas message from Iran's president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad | World news | guardian.co.uk

Surely there can't be a Christian alive who doubts a word of it. The speech really went to the heart of the matter. Congratulations to him, that was exactly what the country needed to hear.
spot

Post by spot »

Jester;1093654 wrote: Oh please, Christ told the people to 'render unto caesars what is caesars'. Christ wasn't bothered by the roman government in control at the time, what makes anyone think he'd take any sides in any government at all.

ahbeenajihadin is a self promoting politician bent on expansionist terrorism. The sooner he's is assassinated the better the world will be. Your government allowed him a plateform to expand his terror base, which is just ridiculous.

It always stuck me as at least a tension when the world's rich and powerful think Jesus would align with their position, as opposed to that of the poor and powerless. Do you not remember that every German soldier in World War One had "Gott Mit Uns" inscribed on their belt buckle, and the mockery they've received for it ever since?

Iran hasn't the slightest expansionist ambition. It's not even an Arab country. To accuse its President of wanting to expand fundamentalist Islam is no more than to accuse any US President of wanting to export Capitalism, or the Pope of wanting Heterosexuality to triumph worldwide.

What the Iranian President had in mind when recalling Christ's opposition to "tyrannical policies of prevailing global economic and political systems" was the Sermon on the Mount, don't you think? Blessed are the Meek? Blessed are the Peacemakers? It takes a very twisted unChristlike society to take that notion and use it to label the Colt .45 on the basis that Christ would have approved of how it was being used.

Return to “People”