More than just the fall of Nortel

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
minks

Post by minks »

Yes many of us knew Nortel was taking the downslide over the past couple of years but todays announcement was tough to swallow. Nortel's declaration of bakruptsy does not harm me, but what harms me today is our little company will be laying off 30% of it's staff over the next 45 days. It is going to be awful sitting on pins and needles wondering who is next.

And I feel for anyone of you here in FG facing the same.

Good luck my fellow FG's.

Yahoo! News Search Results for nortel
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Odie

Post by Odie »

minks;1109512 wrote: Yes many of us knew Nortel was taking the downslide over the past couple of years but todays announcement was tough to swallow. Nortel's declaration of bakruptsy does not harm me, but what harms me today is our little company will be laying off 30% of it's staff over the next 45 days. It is going to be awful sitting on pins and needles wondering who is next.

And I feel for anyone of you here in FG facing the same.

Good luck my fellow FG's.

Yahoo! News Search Results for nortel

Nortel has been struggling for at least 10 years now if not more, so this doesn't surprise me one bit.

but for you hun, I hope your job will be safe!:-4

(((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))0
Life is just to short for drama.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, I am sending good thoughts for you, minks, and all that work with you.
minks

Post by minks »

Thanks all, my company is directional drilling for the all mighty oil but nothing is for certain. I shall keep you all posted...

― Mae West
Odie

Post by Odie »

minks;1109610 wrote: Thanks all, my company is directional drilling for the all mighty oil but nothing is for certain. I shall keep you all posted...

good luck Minks, I know what its like to be layed off!

how long have you been there?
minks

Post by minks »

[QUOTE=Odie;1109611]good luck Minks, I know what its like to be layed off!

how long have you been there?[/QUOTE

Year and a half, I have too been laid off before but back then I was young and had no kids, renting and life was way easier, less responsibilities.

I now have a mortgage, bills, a kid to still support, car loan etc... I will do my best to not put the cart before the horse. And with luck I survive this round of lay offs.

― Mae West
Odie

Post by Odie »

minks;1109616 wrote: [QUOTE=Odie;1109611]good luck Minks, I know what its like to be layed off!

how long have you been there?[/QUOTE

Year and a half, I have too been laid off before but back then I was young and had no kids, renting and life was way easier, less responsibilities.

I now have a mortgage, bills, a kid to still support, car loan etc... I will do my best to not put the cart before the horse. And with luck I survive this round of lay offs.

good luck, keep me posted.
minks

Post by minks »

JAB;1109618 wrote: Fingers crossed for ya Minks!

Thanks all, I shall do so... :)

Good nite

― Mae West
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Nortel employees about 300 in Ireland, you will be able to add those job losses to the 1,900 at Dell, and the 100's of other jobs going at an alarming rate.
minks

Post by minks »

mikeinie;1109647 wrote: Nortel employees about 300 in Ireland, you will be able to add those job losses to the 1,900 at Dell, and the 100's of other jobs going at an alarming rate.

It all makes me very sad this global depression. It was a rather poignant day today. This was the last time I will get to see many of the "boys" of our company all together playing pick up hockey.

For the past few months they have got together every thursday to play hockey and a couple of us girls have gone to the arena to watch. Today marks the end of the great comradery as we know, 1 out of every 3 will be gone come Monday of next week...

I will miss them dearly. It was sad to receive the delivery of their final pay arrangements by the courier today, I just can't help feeling terribly saddened by the pending loss of our co-workers:-1

Rumor has it, my area supervisor put in a plea to the VP to not cut our department as we are running skinny enough as it is. I try to remain optimistic.

― Mae West
minks

Post by minks »

I am still employed as of today. We lost 13 staff members since 2:00pm today. Very sad day, moral is pretty low.

This cut went deeper than many of us anticipated, this is 13 members from only one department.

― Mae West
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh Minks, that is so sad. I am wishing your position is secure.

Return to “Work Employment”