21st, 22nd January crisis?

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
spot

Post by spot »

What's wrong with reading what he said in the context of the question put to him?MR. BROKAW: Whoever's elected president of the United States, that first day in the Oval Office on January 21st will face this: an American economy that's in a near paralytic state at this time; we're at war in two different countries, Afghanistan and Iraq; we have an energy crisis; we have big decisions to make about health care and about global climate change. The president of the United States and the Congress of the United States now have the highest disapproval ratings that we have seen in many years. In all your years of public service, have you ever seen an incoming president face such daunting challenges?

[...]

GEN. POWELL: The problems will always be there, and there's going to be a crisis come along in the 21st or 22nd of January that we don't even know about right now. The full transcript is at Oct. 19: Former Secretary of State Gen. Colin Powell (Ret.), Chuck Todd, political roundtable - Meet the Press, online at MSNBC - you might have to cancel "print", I think it's got a trigger in it.

The trouble with all these idiot clips you keep putting up is that some of us want the words to search on, the clips don't focus on the specific bit you're trying to convey and it takes a long time to work it out. Why on earth not stick to words first and clips if you feel the need afterwards? Forums are text-based. The only clue you give about the topic is what you can pack into the header. Words are a fairly vital tool when it comes to holding an asynchronous discussion online.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I think that Joe Biden's assessment is entirely correct, in that within a short space of time from the inauguration someone is going to do something to test the resolve of the West and the new US President.

We are already in the middle of greatest economic crisis since 1929 and everything at the moment is in flux, people are confused and frightened, and nothing seems certain at present, other than everything is changing rapidly. This is an opportunity for other powerful global actors, or small disaffected groups, to start setting in motion some agenda to see if they can use the current weakness and loss of confidence in the Western world and the international order to their own strategic advantage.

The very long interregnum period between the slow ending of the discredited Bush Administration and the start of the Obama Presidency has already been used by Israel to launch an all out war against Hamas in Gaza, and earlier in the summer the Russians to attack and punish Georgia over the South Ossetia issue and send a signal to NATO to stay out of the region; this is a foretaste of the gravity of the times in which we are entering.

Its impossible to know exactly when or who it will be, but it will come early and there are several likely scenarios. The ones I see are in order of likelihood. Most of these scenarios that I am outlining are already in play, and its only a matter of time before one of them occurs.

1. Iran declares to the world that it has a nuclear weapon and a date when its going to test fire it.

2. Russia forces a coup detat and resulting civil war in Ukraine, or threatens an EU member state with military action over the Kaliningrad enclave (or a related issue such as the rights of Russian minorities in an EU country such as say, Latvia).

3. An unprecedented Islamicist terrorist attack on a major Western city (which at worst could involve the using of WMDs of some nature, resulting in massive casualties).

4. China forces a confrontation with Taiwan, resulting in a conflict across the straits.

5. India launches a pre-emptive war against Nuclear armed and rapidly destabilizing Pakistan.

Any of these events have global repercussions that could lead to a general regional (or even at worst a world) war, up to an including exchanges using nuclear weapons. American leadership is going to be crucial in steering a course through what happens next, and whatever happens it was going to happen no matter whether McCain or Obama was elected. Lets hope that current generation of leaders that we have have in America and Europe are up to what is coming next. We shall see.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Of course it may well be something else of which as yet we have no idea, something sudden, swift, and frightening; but I am sure something is coming that will sorely test the already shaken international order which currently presides.

The United States of America remains the most powerful nation on Earth at present but has, in particular, recently been severely weakened by a series of events and is at a defining moment in its modern history.

The new, young, and inspiring President gives many people a sense of hope that the West can renew confidence in itself, get over the toxic legacy of the recent past, and re-establish the moral validity of American global leadership.

Other people will try to make sure that the new President, (and America and its allies), are caught off balance by some crisis of such magnitude that this is impossible, while others will simply use the current global turmoil to settle some old score or complete some, previously unobtainable, strategic objective such as Israel is currently attempting.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Obama needs two terms to right the wrongs of America.

The Russian threat to remove missiles from Eastern Europe, the warning from Israel, Dialogue with Iran (that will rankle Israel), Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, the national debt to China, the economy, the failing education system, the Infrastructure etc etc.

I will be amazed if he achieve's anything even in the first two years based on the damage caused by the Bush Administration.

I can see America coming in for tough times indeed. :(:(:(
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

As far as Galbally's list goes, I think 1 and 2 are impossible. I'll be more than prepared to eat my hat if I'm wrong.

An Israeli bomb raid on Iran isn't impossible though.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1111462 wrote: As far as Galbally's list goes, I think 1 and 2 are impossible. I'll be more than prepared to eat my hat if I'm wrong.

An Israeli bomb raid on Iran would not surprise me in the slightest. It would be a tough call for Obama who wants peace with Iran.

What kind of hat do you have?:yh_cowboy:yh_cowboy:yh_cowboy
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Thank you for the link to the transcript, spot. I never watch the video clips, but will read the link..............
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

oscar;1111168 wrote: Obama needs two terms to right the wrongs of America.

The Russian threat to remove missiles from Eastern Europe, the warning from Israel, Dialogue with Iran (that will rankle Israel), Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, the national debt to China, the economy, the failing education system, the Infrastructure etc etc.

I will be amazed if he achieve's anything even in the first two years based on the damage caused by the Bush Administration.

I can see America coming in for tough times indeed. :(:(:(

Do you think that won't also mean some very tough times for us as well?

I doubt that.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

spot;1111462 wrote: As far as Galbally's list goes, I think 1 and 2 are impossible. I'll be more than prepared to eat my hat if I'm wrong.

If the Iranians persist with enriching Uranium, which they are doing and everyone knows it, or finally appear to have made weapons grade material, or god help us even a bomb; then I have zero doubt that the Israelis will attack them, with all the resulting repercussions for everyone.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Oscar Namechange

Galbally;1111909 wrote: Do you think that won't also mean some very tough times for us as well?

I doubt that.

Absolutely not... and no way are we even in comparison to the bother America is in right now.

Weather you hate him or not, Gordon Brown has put in place the building blocks for recovery. Your 2nd referendum will give you the benifit of the EU. Our problems are sprats compared to the great white that America is facing. Their debt to China alone is staggering.

We also do not have the dillema that Obama has now. Britain is already open to Iran. If Obama carrie's out his pledge to hold the white flag up to Iran then Israel is going to get dangerous. How does Obama deal with the 10 years more pledge of Bush to fund the Israeli military. That's without the threat to Obama from Russia to remove warheads from eastern Europe and the Iraq and Afghanistan issue.
Oscar Namechange

JAB;1111928 wrote: A strength of US politics is in the transference of power from one outgoing administration to the next. A shift in philosophy is always a certainty but a 'coming together' if you will is and always will be there. There is no advantage, in my opinion, to strike in this interim period. If nothing else, it will be business as usual in the first x-number of days until Obama gets the intelligence he wasn't privvy to prior to him ascending to the office.

The problems facing him are enormous but you are right that he must get intelligence first. Clinton will already have a good idea on the Israel front but Obama will need time just as any PM going into office here does. people expect miracles within the first few days, that's the problem.

I do hope he keeps his promise to close Guantamno.
Oscar Namechange

JAB;1112010 wrote: Eh, ya had to bring up the Missus Clinton, didn't ya? :rolleyes: I'll bite my tongue on that one.

I know....... Just as you thought you'd seen the last of her :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Return to “People”