The Queen's english is now the Queens english

scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

Ya'll guy's better watch out, they will have yall talkin' American instead of English. :-2

But some purists are downright possessive about the punctuation mark.

It seems that Birmingham officials have been taking a hammer to grammar for years,

this one statement here tickled my funny bone, it sort of sounds like everyone has been lost for the last several centuries all due to a bunch of punctuation mark's on your street signs. i mean no insult to anyone from Birmingham, I'm just poking fun at your Councilor Martin Mullaney Said , he's proof positive that politicians are the same the world over..

Councilor Martin Mullaney Said,,, If I want to go to a restaurant, I don't want to have an A-level (high school diploma) in English to find it.''

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/01 ... .html?_r=1
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

:rolleyes: Brummies.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

Clodhopper;1123562 wrote: :rolleyes: Brummies.

I had to google the word. i didn't know if you were calling me names or saying a cuss word or what ??:-2

Brummie (sometimes Brummy) is a colloquial term for the inhabitants, accent and dialect of Birmingham, England, as well as being a general adjective used to denote a connection with the city, locally called Brum. The terms are all derived from Brummagem or Bromwichham, historical variants or alternatives to 'Birmingham'.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

chuckle. Sorry. I just popped in before going to bed and had to comment. The alternative comment was a page of swearing. My gast is thoroughly a-flabber.

scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

Clodhopper;1123629 wrote: chuckle. Sorry. I just popped in before going to bed and had to comment. The alternative comment was a page of swearing. My cast is thoroughly a-flabber.

oh, no apology needed, that's why the PC fairies invented google ,,,:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I found it damn funny when Councilor Martin Mullaney stated "I don't want to have an A-level (high school diploma) in English to find it.''

I wonder is there any way to e mail him and ask what grade did he get to in school and if he slept Thur his grammar and English classes ? that could be the whole problem he has with them little punctuation marks, someone could donate a GED / 12th grade refresher study book to him :yh_wink:yh_giggle
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Clodhopper;1123562 wrote: :rolleyes: Brummies.

Or as they are more widely refered to in Britain....... The defendent.

I'M JOKING.............. HONEST :D:D
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Daniyal

Post by Daniyal »

When you start reading The Bible and you don't know anything about The Ancient Hebrew Language , You are in a bad position . If you go to any Country you will find that they speak more than one language , Except for America . There are very few Countries that only speak on Language , And if you are Latino and know Spanish , They will try and make you Stop Speaking Spanish and won't give you a job . If you speak Arabic , Housa or ( Whatever Language You Speak ) , They want you to stop speaking it and speak English to get your Mind Trapped In English , Because they control The Phonetics of English . They control The Emotion ( E-Motion , Energy In Motion ) , That comes behind English . They're trying to make America One Language , But it have too many Immigrants and too many other Languages , So the only way to get a call Congress to get all these other Languages out , Without making it look like they are Anti 0 United Nations , Is to fabricate other Code Of Arms . I know And You Know People Don't Want Their Children Talking Ebonics .

The following article give you an Idea of what I'm Talking about . Taken from '' The Atlanta Journal - Constitution '' Newspaper , Sunday , September 12 , 1999 A,D. Issue , Entitled '' Watch Your Language - Workers Fighting Back Against English - Only Polices On The Job '' By Martha Irvine And it states '' Carlos Solero Couldn't Believe His Ears When His Bosses Started Reprimanding Him For Speaking Spanish On The Job . '' Even If I Was Sining To Myself Or Just Mumbling , I Would Get A Warning '' , The 31 - Year - Old Assembly - Line Worker Says Of The '' English Only '' Policy His Bosses Instituted At A Suburban Chicago Manufacturing Plant Two Years Ago . The Company Said The Policy Was Needed To Improve Communication On Its Assembly Line . Eventually , Solero Was Asked To Sign A Work Agreement That Included The Policy , But He Refused . '' I Told Them , 'You Cannot Shut Me Up , '' Says Solero , Who Was Fired Three Days Later . Not He And Seven Other Spanish - Speakers And The Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Have Filed Lawsuits . Against Watlow Batavia , A Metal - Casting And Assembly Plant In Batavia , lll . Legal Experts Say It's Part Of A Growing Movement Against Employers Who Try To Force Workers To Speak English On The Job , '' I Think We're Going To See More And More Of These Types Of Lawsuits , Especially As The Population Of Immigrants Grows And More Languages Are Spoken In The Workplace , '' Says Jose Behar , An EEOC Attorney Handling The Ageney's Lawsuit Against Watlow

The Millennium Book Part 2

Conferred By ;

Supreme Grand Hierophant S.G.H.

720th Degree

Amunnubi Raakhptah ( Atum - Re )

Mir'' Pyramid '' No.9
Never Argue With An Idiot. They Drag You Down To Their Level Then Beat You With Experience.

When An Elder Passes On To Higher Life , Its Like One Of The Library Have Shut Down

To Desire Security Is A Sign Of Insecurity .

It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble

When you can control a man's thinking you don't have to worry about his action ...:driving:
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I found it damn funny when Councilor Martin Mullaney stated "I don't want to have an A-level (high school diploma) in English to find it.''

scholle-kid: Hmm. Tells you a lot about Councilor Mullaney that he doesn't appear to know that apostrophes are taught for GCSE (taken at 15 or 16) and it is assumed in the A level (taken at 17/18) that you know what it's for and how to use it.

A terrible thing happened to education 15 years ago in this country: It became a political issue. The result was that ambitious poiliticians used it to show how things had improved under their "leadership". To be fair, they probably didn't intend this, but the end result is that exams have got steadily easier. I feel sorry for kids who come out of education today with A grades that would have struggled to make it to B a decade ago.

Daniyal

Post by Daniyal »

Ans ; The word English comes out of the word Angel . The letter '' A '' was exchange for the letter '' E '' , The word Angel is middle English , From old english Engel or Old French Angele , both from late Latin Angelus , From late Greek Angelos , from Greek , Messenger . According to The American Heritage Dictionary , English is from Anglicize , Which is from Middle English , From Old English Englisc , From Engle , The Angles . The word English is a Grafted word . It is a Combination of the word Angle , Which were Germanic People and the word Ish meaning '' Belonging To '' , That means that the English belongs to The Germans . Germ - Man , Man With The Disease Or Who Carries The Germs .

So the combination of the word Angle and Ish - gives Angleish or English . They have you calling them Angels and you don't even know it . English os a Germanic Language , Which is a branch of the Indo - European Language family . Indo - European , As well as Indo -Aryan goes back to The Sanskrit language , Which is the language of The 200 Fallen Neteru ( Hindus ) . Indo is simply short for Indian , And who were these Angles ? The Angles were a Genrmanic people who , Together with The Saxons and Jutes , Invaded the Island Briton in The Fifth Century from Schleswing - Holstein . These Angles or Anglo people were Tall , Blonde , Haired , And Blue Eyed .

The word Jure in from Middle English Jutes ; The Jutes , From Medieval Latin Iutae , [ Bengali Jhuuo , From Sanskrit , Twisted Hair , Probably of Dravidian origin . Do you hear the word Judas ( Jew , The Betrayer ) ? Do you see Hitler's Ideal Race ? Do you see the relation between Berith ( Brit - And British ) , The Aramic ( Hebrew ) word for Covenant and Britain ? None of these are Conincidences ?

The new land that they made for themselves was called Anglo - Saxons or for short , Angle , Land , Which was later pronounced England . And their language is what we are calling today , Old English . So when you are looking in The Dictionary , Which should rightly be called A Definitionary , And see '' Old English '' , These Are The People From Which It Came . As you can see , The '' E '' Was dropped at the end of the word Angle and an '' O '' Was added . This was often done in The English Language ,

Before the year 1066 A.D. Only a few words had been borrowed from French . Since then , Tens Of Thousands Of French Words have entered The English Language , Such as The word '' Very '' Just as in any other language , English Has Dialects and different words are applied to the same object such as the following words .

British -Rubber - Vest - The Brotish Also Drop The '' R's From Their Words Such As Lord And Pronounce It Laud .

American - Eraser - Undershirt - Male Note That In Such Words That End In '' Or '' In American English , Ends With An '' Our '' Such As The Words Color And Colour , Honor And Honour .

Also make note that the man Responsible for changing the suffix '' Re '' At the end of words such as , Centre , And making them '' Er '' , Center , Was none other than Noah Webster . I am sure everyone is familiar with him . He is the person who's Behind '' Webster's Dictionary '' And his shaped The Modern English Language . He is the one who insisted that the '' Our '' Should be '' Or '' And the letter '' K '' Should be dropped from words such as , Musicl and Traffick and Colour .

Not only is The French language added , Latin , Slavic , German , Italian , Arabic , Greek , Hebrew , Portuguese , And many others . The year 1066 A.D. Is used as a dividing point for the ending of Old English and the beginning of Middle English . Middle English tooks its root in Europe between The 1100's And 1500's A.D. And the year 1476 A.D. Separates the ending of Middle English which is what you are calling Modern English , Which is simply American .

English started out as letters with A Hard Sound much like The German and Greek language of today . That is what is called Old English - Mere Grunting Sounds . The language finally evolved into what it is today . English is the most widely used language in every country . World leaders had planned to have The Entire World Speaking English . The only other language that is widely Recognized like English is Spanish . Speaking English , Spanish , French and various other European Tongues have helped to Enslave The Minds And Bodies of African - Americans . The American language is a tool of The Lucifrians To keep you trapped .

Conferred By ;

720th Degree

Mir'' Pyramid '' No.9
Never Argue With An Idiot. They Drag You Down To Their Level Then Beat You With Experience.

When An Elder Passes On To Higher Life , Its Like One Of The Library Have Shut Down

It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble

When you can control a man's thinking you don't have to worry about his action ...:driving:
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Together with The Saxons and Jutes , Invaded the Island Briton in The Fifth Century from Schleswing - Holstein . These Angles or Anglo people were Tall , Blonde , Haired , And Blue Eyed .

The word English is derived from the Angle tribe. They didn't so much invade as move house, lock stock and barrel. The bit of Germany it's reckoned they come from remained empty for a thousand years, it was such poor land.

One day a couple of them turned up in the Roman slave market and a monk called Gregory saw them, and, struck by their beauty, asked who they were. "Angles," he was told. "Not Angles but Angels," the Saint is said to have replied. The glory of bringing to Christ so beautiful people became a burning ambition of his, but he was so important to the Church that the Pope wouldn't let him go, so when made Pope himself he sent St. Augustine to Christianise them, and that is how Christianity came to the Anglo-Saxons.

Daniyal: :yh_rotfl Where do you get all this? Are you just sticking together random googles and turning them into conspiracies?

Anglo-Saxon as a language was the source and fount of English Literature, a robust yet subtle tongue that survived conquest by Viking and Norman and is still possible for a modern Englishman who does not speak the language to recognise and pretty much follow Bible stories read in Anglo-Saxon.

Or are you winding me up?:wah:

Daniyal

Post by Daniyal »

Clodhopper;1125361 wrote: The word English is derived from the Angle tribe. They didn't so much invade as move house, lock stock and barrel. The bit of Germany it's reckoned they come from remained empty for a thousand years, it was such poor land.

One day a couple of them turned up in the Roman slave market and a monk called Gregory saw them, and, struck by their beauty, asked who they were. "Angles," he was told. "Not Angles but Angels," the Saint is said to have replied. The glory of bringing to Christ so beautiful people became a burning ambition of his, but he was so important to the Church that the Pope wouldn't let him go, so when made Pope himself he sent St. Augustine to Christianise them, and that is how Christianity came to the Anglo-Saxons.

Daniyal: :yh_rotfl Where do you get all this? Are you just sticking together random googles and turning them into conspiracies?

Anglo-Saxon as a language was the source and fount of English Literature, a robust yet subtle tongue that survived conquest by Viking and Norman and is still possible for a modern Englishman who does not speak the language to recognise and pretty much follow Bible stories read in Anglo-Saxon.

Or are you winding me up?:wah:

LOLOLOLOL If You notice any my post I veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy rarely Refer to Website Googles Is A Joke ....Most conspiracies as you call it , Has A Lot Of Truth In It .

This Is Where I Got It From ..

Conferred By ;

720th Degree

Mir'' Pyramid '' No.9

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

LOL.

Two sorts of people: conspiracy theorists and ****-up (ie "stupid mistake") theorists. I'm a ****-up theorist.

Daniyal

Post by Daniyal »

Clodhopper;1125506 wrote: LOL.

Two sorts of people: conspiracy theorists and ****-up (ie "stupid mistake") theorists. I'm a ****-up theorist.

Check this out then we can get back to the subhect at hand ok !

When you hear a word like Conspiracy , Your brian immediately click and you hear the two words '' Con '' and '' Spire ''

con ( ko n ) aqdv . 1 , In opposition or disagreement ; against ; debated the issue pro and con . --- con n. 1 . An argument or opinion against something . 2 . One that holds an opposing opinion or view , [ Middle English , short for contra , from Latin contra, against . See contra - , ]

Spire ( spir ) n . 1 . A top part or point that tapers upward ; a pinnacle .

According To The American Heritage Dictionary , The Word Conspiracy Is Defined As Follows ;

con ' spir - a - cy ( ken - spir e - se ) n , pl. con - spir - a - cies . 1 . agreement to perform together an illegal , wrongful , or subversive act . 2 . A group of conspirators . 3 . Law . An agreement between two or more persons to commit a crime or accomplish a legal purpose through illegal action . 4 . A joining or actiong together , as if by sinister design ; a conspiracy of wind and tide that devastated coastal areas . [ Middle English conspiracie , from Anglo - Norman conspiracie , probably alreration of Old French conspiration , from Latin co - nspir tio , con nspiration n - , from co nspiratus , past particple of co - nspirare , to conspire . See conspire . ] >>>>>>

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

The word root almost certainly goes back to the Latin and means "to combine against" with overtones of secrecy and subversion going back to Old French.

Happens I know a fair bit about the English Language. It's living history.

Daniyal

Post by Daniyal »

Clodhopper;1125569 wrote: The word root almost certainly goes back to the Latin and means "to combine against" with overtones of secrecy and subversion going back to Old French.

Happens I know a fair bit about the English Language. It's living history.

So my post was right your pushing His-Story and not History ok it cool ! ::driving:

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

So my post was right your pushing His-Story and not History ok it cool !

:) I'm an Englishman of English descent living in England, speaking and writing English. This language reflects everything that has happened to the English people beginning with our Germanic roots which gave us basic words like "house" and "cow", the first names of some of our cities: Eoforwic, (modern York) for example, and our basic grammar.

With the Norman Conquest came words such as "beef " (from the french "boeuf", which means "cow") and "conspiracy", and a ruling class who spoke Norman French. 300 years later the Norman French language had merged with the Anglo-Saxon language as the Norman French intermarried with the Anglo-Saxons to produce Middle English and English people.

Middle English is the language in which Chaucer wrote the Canterbury Tales and where "cows" were raised so we could roast a tasty joint of "beef". The changes in the language reflect the history of the people who live here.

Taken to America by the Founding Fathers it has begun, as American English, to reflect the history of the American people since that time, and English English has continued to reflect the history of the people who live in England.

Apart from anything else, it means we have to listen carefully when we talk to eachother, because we don't quite speak the same language any more - I'm not clear on what difference you are suggesting between History and His Story.

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

...I am assuming you are American. Are you?

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

It's 2 am here, so I'm for bed. Goodnight.:)

Daniyal

Post by Daniyal »

Clodhopper;1125658 wrote: :) I'm an Englishman of English descent living in England, speaking and writing English. This language reflects everything that has happened to the English people beginning with our Germanic roots which gave us basic words like "house" and "cow", the first names of some of our cities: Eoforwic, (modern York) for example, and our basic grammar.

With the Norman Conquest came words such as "beef " (from the french "boeuf", which means "cow") and "conspiracy", and a ruling class who spoke Norman French. 300 years later the Norman French language had merged with the Anglo-Saxon language as the Norman French intermarried with the Anglo-Saxons to produce Middle English and English people.

Middle English is the language in which Chaucer wrote the Canterbury Tales and where "cows" were raised so we could roast a tasty joint of "beef". The changes in the language reflect the history of the people who live here.

Taken to America by the Founding Fathers it has begun, as American English, to reflect the history of the American people since that time, and English English has continued to reflect the history of the people who live in England.

Apart from anything else, it means we have to listen carefully when we talk to eachother, because we don't quite speak the same language any more - I'm not clear on what difference you are suggesting between History and His Story.

First I'm Not Impress With The Above And I Stand By What I Post So Why Don't You Let It Go . LOLOLOLOLOLOL Your Sabotageing This Person Post , And Where I'm From Is Not In Question Here .

gmc

Post by gmc »

Daniyal;1125687 wrote: First I'm Not Impress With The Above And I Stand By What I Post So Why Don't You Let It Go . LOLOLOLOLOLOL Your Sabotageing This Person Post , And Where I'm From Is Not In Question Here .

Does your american heritage dictionary have the words bollocks in it?

Clearly you are an american as no british person would use the american heritage dictionary on the grounds that it is probably a load of bollocks and if you don't understand the humour it's probably because you can't spell properly.
Daniyal

Post by Daniyal »

gmc;1125810 wrote: Does your american heritage dictionary have the words bollocks in it?

Clearly you are an american as no british person would use the american heritage dictionary on the grounds that it is probably a load of bollocks and if you don't understand the humour it's probably because you can't spell properly.

The Meaning Of scotland . When You Deal With The Words scotland , It Break Up Into Two Words , Which Are ; 'scot ', Taking You Back To irishmen , And land ' , Meaning '' The Solid Ground Of The Earth '' , From Middle English From Old English ; See Lendh - In Ido -European Roots . The scottish Got Its Name From The Middle English scottes , scotsmen From Old English scottas , scotsmen , Meaning irishem '' From Late Latin scott , irishmen , '' Latin Is The spoken Language Of The Romans , Which Means The Roman Named Them . This Tells You That These scottish are Really irishmen From ireland , And There Is Still No Nationality .

English Language = Very Bad Dialect Of Broken English , And In Fact Are Speaking An Unintelligent Slang , But Yet They Will Swear Up And Down They're Speaking English .

gmc

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Daniyal: If you aren't just teasing your mind is shut tighter than an agoraphobic clam. My current impression is that you've been brainwashed by a cult.

You are entirely right that your nationality is irrelevant to the discussion generally. I asked because I realised I had just been assuming you were American. I don't recognise your dialect, but then America has many dialects - I can can just about tell that a New Englander does not speak the same way as a Texan :wah:. Had I thought you were Australian I would have used Australian English as my example, not American English. That is all.

If scholle-kid pops up and asks us to return to the point of his or her original post I will immediately comply.

I am still interested in this idea of His Story and History you mention, if you wish to explain it, here or on a different thread. But I don't at present understand why you are so upset that we appear largely to agree on the definition of conspiracy, or that I told you it came into the English language with the Norman invasion.

scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

Daniel;1125687 wrote: Your Sabotageing This Person Post ,

Hey, don't worry about 'Sabotaging' my thread, I was just making fun of the politician that is saying that a punctuation mark is all that stands between people and finding their way around town,,, :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

you lost me with your first post about Angels and English ....:wah::wah:

and Clodhopper, I think it is very amusing for you to use the two words 'American ' and 'English' together because IMO what we speak is more of a slang of the English language no matter where in the USA one comes from.
spot

Post by spot »

It's quite reasonable to drop apostrophes from place-names, I don't see the problem here.

There's no inherent context in a place name. There obviously is if you dig out the historical derivation but I honestly don't see why addressing an envelope should involve knowing why the place is called what it is. The proposal, in several cities, is to simply remove the apostrophe from the character set from which addresses are constructed. Who can tell whether Kings Cross involves a possessive and if so whether it's one or several Kings? Or take Alcocks Green. The derivation turns out not to involve a possessive on the part of Mr Alcock at all, it's a foreshortening of All Cocks Green and if there's an apostrophe in there it marks an elision after the A.

Dropping the apostrophe from addresses doesn't imply removing it from the language.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

It's quite reasonable to drop apostrophes from place-names, I don't see the problem here.

Oh thanks!

Here I am, manning the trenches of intellectual rigour in a creeping barrage of dumbing down, awaiting the inevitable infantry assault by elite squads of Sun readers, and this is the support I get from you?;)

I'm sulking.:)

I think it is very amusing for you to use the two words 'American ' and 'English' together because IMO what we speak is more of a slang of the English language no matter where in the USA one comes from.

That's a big part of how the process of language change occurs: slang words come in, your kids don't speak quite the way you do, and their kids speak slightly differently again... over ten generations or so it makes a difference.

scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

Clodhopper;1125844 wrote: Oh thanks!

Here I am, manning the trenches of intellectual rigour in a creeping barrage of dumbing down, awaiting the inevitable infantry assault by elite squads of Sun readers, and this is the support I get from you?;)

I've never read the 'Sun'. :o
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I've never read the 'Sun'.

:wah: That wasn't aimed at you! I was just being silly and mock-severe with spot.:)

gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by daniyal

gmc

Ah you're an idiot-and there was me giving you the benefit of the doubt:sneaky:
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

gmc: Well, if Daniyal didn't know you get short shrift from the Scots, he does now!

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

I'm just glad that I live in a part of Birmingham that doesn't end in an "s" :D

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

Clodhopper;1125854 wrote: :wah: That wasn't aimed at you! I was just being silly and mock-severe with spot.:)
I sort of figured that , after I had posted , since the 'Sun" isn't local to my part of the world.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

scholle-kid: :) As I said earlier, we don't quite speak the same language any more. It can make things interesting!

spot

Post by spot »

Yer darn tootin' we don't.

I haven't a clue how that's derived, before anyone asks me.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1125907 wrote: Yer darn tootin' we don't.

I haven't a clue how that's derived, before anyone asks me.

It was used by Laurel and Hardy in a 1927 film but not sure if it was in existence prior. It means 'Damn Good' in English.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1125937 wrote: It was used by Laurel and Hardy in a 1927 film but not sure if it was in existence prior. It means 'Damn Good' in English.

I almost hesitate to ask but how did they manage that in a silent film?
Oscar Namechange

spot;1125951 wrote: I almost hesitate to ask but how did they manage that in a silent film?

I got it from here:

http://www.franklyncards.com/movies/h3.htm
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1126027 wrote: I got it from here:

http://www.franklyncards.com/movies/h3.htm

Ah. Used as in the title as opposed to being said.

I have 1908 though my Partridge is in Bristol. There, that's not a sentence you'd see every day.The phrase was in use earlier. Eric Partridge, "A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English," dates it to about 1908.

Re: You're darn tootin'

I spent the last half hour re-reading Act 5 of The Merchant Of Venice, awestruck at the notion his audience was fully aware of the continual references to sodomy which it undoubtedly contains. I can't see how it could have been constructed without that intention. I can't think of any other play which comes as close to slapstick farce, the Elizabethans must have been in stitches at it. This has nothing to do with Darn Tootin', it's just an aside.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1126055 wrote: Ah. Used as in the title as opposed to being said.

I have 1908 though my Partridge is in Bristol. There, that's not a sentence you'd see every day.The phrase was in use earlier. Eric Partridge, "A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English," dates it to about 1908.

Re: You're darn tootin'

I spent the last half hour re-reading Act 5 of The Merchant Of Venice, awestruck at the notion his audience was fully aware of the continual references to sodomy which it undoubtedly contains. I can't see how it could have been constructed without that intention. I can't think of any other play which comes as close to slapstick farce, the Elizabethans must have been in stitches at it. This has nothing to do with Darn Tootin', it's just an aside.

Was the expression something to do with WW1? and refered to those on dangerous missions?
Daniyal

Post by Daniyal »

Clodhopper;1125830 wrote: Daniyal: If you aren't just teasing your mind is shut tighter than an agoraphobic clam. My current impression is that you've been brainwashed by a cult.

You are entirely right that your nationality is irrelevant to the discussion generally. I asked because I realised I had just been assuming you were American. I don't recognise your dialect, but then America has many dialects - I can can just about tell that a New Englander does not speak the same way as a Texan :wah:. Had I thought you were Australian I would have used Australian English as my example, not American English. That is all.

If scholle-kid pops up and asks us to return to the point of his or her original post I will immediately comply.

I am still interested in this idea of His Story and History you mention, if you wish to explain it, here or on a different thread. But I don't at present understand why you are so upset that we appear largely to agree on the definition of conspiracy, or that I told you it came into the English language with the Norman invasion.

It Funny How Small Minded People Like Yourself .Would Say Some One Been Brain Wash > When You Have Been Brain Wash to Think That The English Language Is Some Type Of Original Language What Foolishness , ( The English Language Is Nothing More Then An Unintelligent Slang / Dialect Of Broken English Even Where You Were Born / Live They Don't Speak English . By The Way The Different Between His -Story And History Is His - Story = His - Story Keyword Story ,

And The Word History According The Dictionary = History, in its broadest sense, is the story of humanity's past. It also refers to the recording of that past. The diverse sources of history include books, newspapers, printed documents, personal papers, and other archival records, artifacts, and oral accounts. Historians use this material to form coherent narratives and uncover linked sequences and patterns in past events. Most histories are concerned with causality, that is, why certain outcomes happened as they did, and how they are linked to earlier events

Cult LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL:wah::wah::wah:

Daniyal

Post by Daniyal »

gmc;1125865 wrote: posted by daniyal

Ah you're an idiot-and there was me giving you the benefit of the doubt:sneaky:

I Apoliogize

Daniyal

Post by Daniyal »

scholle-kid;1125832 wrote: Hey, don't worry about 'Sabotaging' my thread, I was just making fun of the politician that is saying that a punctuation mark is all that stands between people and finding their way around town,,, :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

you lost me with your first post about Angels and English ....:wah::wah:

and Clodhopper, I think it is very amusing for you to use the two words 'American ' and 'English' together because IMO what we speak is more of a slang of the English language no matter where in the USA one comes from.

Okkkkkkkk

scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

Daniel;1126348 wrote: Sabotageing

Sabotaging

goggle spell check
Daniyal

Post by Daniyal »

scholle-kid;1126375 wrote: Sabotaging

goggle spell check

goggle = a joke waste of time :wah:

scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

Daniyal;1126381 wrote: goggle = a joke waste of time :wah:

Hey, no problem, there is a world wide web out there. :-6

Here is a free on line spell check that will do the same job .

SpellCheck.net - Free Online Spell Checker:-6
Daniyal

Post by Daniyal »

scholle-kid;1126514 wrote: Hey, no problem, there is a world wide web out there. :-6

Here is a free on line spell check that will do the same job .

SpellCheck.net - Free Online Spell Checker:-6

Knowing how to spell not going to help your Weak -A**** post .

scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

Daniel;1126559 wrote: Knowing how to spell not going to help your Weak -A**** post .

I know how to spell and if i am not sure about a spelling I know how to 'spell check'. And it isn't a weak A**** post , it was me poking fun at a politician that showed his ignorance to the world via a news paper. BTW, thanks ever so much for posting almost more than anyone in my weak A**** thread. :-4:-4:-4
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Scholle- Kid - the bloke you're talking to warns us every single time he posts that we shouldn't argue with an idiot. Time to take his advice, I think.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Oscar Namechange

Daniyal;1126559 wrote: Knowing how to spell not going to help your Weak -A**** post .

Hi Ya Danny.... your mate Oscar here. How you doing my buddy? Hey, my apologies for not getting back to your thread 'does the devil exist', it took me so long to research my last post that i need alot of time if i am to enter into a debate with you :)

Wouldn't the world be a dull place if we all thought alike and had the same beliefs? :thinking: You know i take great interest in your threads. You keep it up Danny. :D:D:D
Oscar Namechange

AussiePam;1126630 wrote: Scholle- Kid - the bloke you're talking to warns us every single time he posts that we shouldn't argue with an idiot. Time to take his advice, I think.

Just beacause you may not agree with his beliefs Pam, there's no need to insult him.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Excellent posts, Oscar. Thank you.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Return to “Societal Issues News”