How much is too much? (Unisex question)

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
cars

Post by cars »

Today while sitting in a restaurant, a women passed by & she left such a heavy trail for some 20 feet of the strong perfume she had on! If she stopped for a minute, she would have left a puddle! :wah: Anyway, the same goes for the men, I've been in places where a guy had on so much strong cologne that it could make a person sneeze!

So, is it too much to wear a sent that can be detected for 30 to 40 feet around? :-2
Cars :)
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

cars;1128341 wrote: Today while sitting in a restaurant, a women passed by & she left such a heavy trail for some 20 feet of the strong perfume she had on! If she stopped for a minute, she would have left a puddle! :wah: Anyway, the same goes for the men, I've been in places where a guy had on so much strong cologne that it could make a person sneeze!

So, is it too much to wear a sent that can be detected for 30 to 40 feet around? :-2

YES, it makes me sneeze! :wah:
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I'm totally with you on this one, Cars... Hate it when people daub vast amounts of smelly deodorant, aftershave, perfume on and force it on the rest of us. All of these enhancements should be subtle and appropriate to time and place...
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Kindle

Post by Kindle »

I think a scent shoud be tantalizing. It should be such that it draws you in and stimulates you to want be closer to the source.

Overpowering smells are a turn off.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Odie

Post by Odie »

Cars, I am with you all the way with this, some of both men's and women's cologlnes/perfumes are just disgusting!

just one quick spray will do you, but I have seen both do 5 or 6 sprays.

and, always put it on the wrist, never the neck, as you sweat, the scent becomes unbearable and stinks.;)

plus.....so many are allergic to them.
Life is just to short for drama.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Groannnnn ..........I once got into a train and these guys must have been ready for a night out on the town or something . I was gagging . They didn't just spash it on . They tipped the whole gallon drum of 'Pino' into a bath and soaked themselves in it . It was awful, and when they got off the train the smell lingered and lingered . It wouldn't surprise me that twenty years later they are still fumigating the carriage.

To this day I can't stand the smell of 'Pino' . :-5
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

fuzzywuzzy;1128426 wrote: Groannnnn ..........I once got into a train and these guys must have been ready for a night out on the town I was gagging

That is some serious innuendo !
I AM AWESOME MAN
Peg

Post by Peg »

When they smell like they have bathed in it, it makes me wonder what kind of odor they are trying to cover up.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Hmmm let let me think ..............They were both dressed up to the nines, had a tub of hair gell each on their heads and on a city bound train. In Melbourne over twenty years ago that pretty much sums up a Wog about to go out on the town.

*and I put that racist bit in just for you :D *
cars

Post by cars »

Actually, my wife told me to just spray my cologne up in the air over my head, and just let it sort of mist down on me. It works very well, as it just gives a hint of fragrance that way! :)
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

That's how French women do perfume, Cars. Spray a bit ahead and walk into the spray..
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

it always seems like the stronger the scent the more they put on?!? :confused: I get a headache from really strong smelling stuff. :yh_sick

I just use a couple of squirts of body spray and I get compliments on smelling nice all the time so I don't think I've ever caused anyone to keel over in my presence. :p :D :wah:
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I always believed that perfume, as well as make-up, should be subtle. Unless you are a clown or an actor on/off Broadway.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

sunny104;1128680 wrote: it always seems like the stronger the scent the more they put on?!? :confused: I get a headache from really strong smelling stuff. :yh_sick

I just use a couple of squirts of body spray and I get compliments on smelling nice all the time so I don't think I've ever caused anyone to keel over in my presence. :p :D :wah:

I've always complimented peoples fragrances, and always ask what they are wearing.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

I was always told to spray it on my hair not on my skin.

When I was younger I was guilty of putting to much on but now I have to pay for the good stuff I like, I use it sparingly:p
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Yeah you have to be careful with perfume, because it re-acts differently to everyones distinct natural odour. Hair is always the safest bet .

Although it seems shampoos are becoming very perfumed these days.
missi1982

Post by missi1982 »

I agree with all of you - too much perfume or cologne is disgusting. HOWEVER, smelly body odour is worse. I had a traumatic experience in the Tube this morning. I was standing there minding my own business, and a tall man was hovering over me and i could FEEL his breath every time he breathed out of his nose on my face. But what's worse is that he stunk of 'morning breath'. On the other side of me was a shorter guy who kept yawning without covering his mouth and he had stale coffee breath. Gross. I'd take overwhelming cologne any day over yucky natural odours ;)
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

missi1982;1138419 wrote: I agree with all of you - too much perfume or cologne is disgusting. HOWEVER, smelly body odour is worse. I had a traumatic experience in the Tube this morning. I was standing there minding my own business, and a tall man was hovering over me and i could FEEL his breath every time he breathed out of his nose on my face. But what's worse is that he stunk of 'morning breath'. On the other side of me was a shorter guy who kept yawning without covering his mouth and he had stale coffee breath. Gross. I'd take overwhelming cologne any day over yucky natural odours ;)

What on the Gordon Brown's is 'Morning breath'? :yh_rotfl
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
missi1982

Post by missi1982 »

Morning breath is a dreadful phenomenon where the person neither drinks any fluid nor brushes their teeth in the morning and the result is the culmination of stale saliva that has been accumulating for the past 10 hours.. and it aint pretty!
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

missi1982;1138438 wrote: Morning breath is a dreadful phenomenon where the person neither drinks any fluid nor brushes their teeth in the morning and the result is the culmination of stale saliva that has been accumulating for the past 10 hours.. and it aint pretty!

Thankyou for the explanation. It appears then that i have never aquainted myself with such folk. :D
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
minks

Post by minks »

A little goes a long way yes.

Then again Jr Minks has one brand that is glorious and I know she splash's on a fair amount when she goes out but the trail she leaves behind is very nice... must react well with her. I like a good perfume but only a couple little short spritz's for the entire day works for me
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

When it's too much, or even walking thru a fragrance isle at the store, it really affects my asthma so I hafta get away as fast as possible holding my breath!
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

My daughter dated a boy for several years and he came into the house one day before they went on the date and gawd he stunk of high cologne. It was contagious throughout the house. It was gross, and all the sibs were like so grossed out:lips:. When I think of it now..its' funny.:wah:
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

I am more for the floral scents like what a rose garden smells like on a warm day, or a cherry orchard when the trees are in flower. A nice oriental soft musk or lavendar vanilla is good too.
Odie

Post by Odie »

I like soft scents, vanilla etc.

one quick spray on the wrist is good.
Life is just to short for drama.
Tater Tazz

Post by Tater Tazz »

Went to the store yesterday and walked by lady whom had on to much perfume and it seemed to stay in the aisle after she left. Very strong stuff. I personnally like opium.
cars

Post by cars »

Tater Tazz;1138816 wrote: Went to the store yesterday and walked by lady whom had on to much perfume and it seemed to stay in the aisle after she left. Very strong stuff. I personnally like opium.
Yes TT, I too like Opium. (For men) It is very powerful, so just a short burst mist into the air & letting some of it fall on me seems to work fine! :)

Return to “General Chit Chat”