how serious do you take the folk on the internet?

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
Skylar

Post by Skylar »

as an example, say you have one person from one country spewing hate for another *or perhaps your* country.

do you take offense and let it bother you?

or maybe just someone you've posted with for a long time and were closer 'internet friends', then they just stop talking to you or they talk about you to others in a bad way and you find out.

or maybe even a death threat?

i recently recieved one, a guy was going to 'cut off my privates and put a bullet in my head' because i beat him in an online racing game.

so how do you handle situations like this on the net, and what about cyberbullying?

i'm just curious what ya'll do or how it affects you if at all.

thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.:)
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Skylar;1162651 wrote: as an example, say you have one person from one country spewing hate for another *or perhaps your* country.

do you take offense and let it bother you?

or maybe just someone you've posted with for a long time and were closer 'internet friends', then they just stop talking to you or they talk about you to others in a bad way and you find out.

or maybe even a death threat?

i recently recieved one, a guy was going to 'cut off my privates and put a bullet in my head' because i beat him in an online racing game.

so how do you handle situations like this on the net, and what about cyberbullying?

i'm just curious what ya'll do or how it affects you if at all.

thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.:) It depends who they are. There are members on here who's opinion i respect, some make me laugh, a few irritate the shyte out of me etc. Generally, that's what makes a good forum. It'd be very dull if we were all the same.

The one's who talk about you in a bad way and you find out just goes to show that the people they are bad-mouthing you to, are coming back and telling you. That shows that the others don't really think alot of the one who is bad-mouthing you as they think they do.

Cyberbullying in posts on a forum don't bother me. They are not infront of your face where you could punch them given the opportunity.

If some-one sent me a death threat over the net, I would laugh hysterically at the sad existence they call a life. Failing that, I'd track them down and hack their gonads off with a rusty razor blade. :D:D
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1162707 wrote: It depends who they are. There are members on here who's opinion i respect, some make me laugh, a few irritate the shyte out of me etc. Generally, that's what makes a good forum. It'd be very dull if we were all the same.

The one's who talk about you in a bad way and you find out just goes to show that the people they are bad-mouthing you to, are coming back and telling you. That shows that the others don't really think alot of the one who is bad-mouthing you as they think they do.

Cyberbullying in posts on a forum don't bother me. They are not infront of your face where you could punch them given the opportunity.

If some-one sent me a death threat over the net, I would laugh hysterically at the sad existence they call a life. Failing that, I'd track them down and hack their gonads off with a rusty razor blade. :D:D

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl Good one Oscar!
G-man

Post by G-man »

Seriously? Not very... :wah:

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

G-man;1162722 wrote: Seriously? Not very... :wah:

Yeah, but you still think I think I'm a duck:yh_rotfl. Now, that's serious.:wah:
Skylar

Post by Skylar »

oscar;1162707 wrote: It depends who they are. There are members on here who's opinion i respect, some make me laugh, a few irritate the shyte out of me etc. Generally, that's what makes a good forum. It'd be very dull if we were all the same.

thank you. i never thought about it that way.

:wah:about the rusty razor blade.
Oscar Namechange

Skylar;1162736 wrote: thank you. i never thought about it that way.

:wah:about the rusty razor blade. If they are bad mouthing you then be flattered that you have such an effect on thier live's that they need to rubbish you to others. Let them get on with it and it'll only be themselves who look the pratt in the end.

As for bad-mouthing your country.....well, we're used that here.... We're British :wah:

If it's not been said before, then welcome to the forum and hope you stick around. :)
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I think it's easy to misinterpret people. Face to face you can guage the feeling or emotion of someone your speaking too. Online, even with emoticons, statements in serious threads can be taken completely the wrong way.

It maybe why Spot gets taken to task more than most because of his refusal to use emoticons. Dont take that the wrong way Spot :D.

I've got good friends I've met online and even had the priviledge to meet a few of them
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Snowfire;1162767 wrote:

It maybe why Spot gets taken to task more than most because of his refusal to use emoticons. Dont take that the wrong way Spot :D.

Spot? Taken to task????? I don't think so..... not in my life-time :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

oscar;1162770 wrote: Spot? Taken to task????? I don't think so..... not in my life-time :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Spot is a regular chuckler.:wah:
Oscar Namechange

OpenMind;1162811 wrote: Spot is a regular chuckler.:wah: That's one word for him :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

oscar;1162815 wrote: That's one word for him :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Which? Regular or chuckler?:D
Oscar Namechange

OpenMind;1162818 wrote: Which? Regular or chuckler?:D Second thoughts....... that's two words for him :yh_rotfl
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Through years of gained wisdom and being presented with challenges only the worlds greatest minds have encountered Ive come to rely on myself as the only valid and pertinent entity on the internet.

Everyone else is fluff.
I AM AWESOME MAN
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Nomad;1163947 wrote: Through years of gained wisdom and being presented with challenges only the worlds greatest minds have encountered Ive come to rely on myself as the only valid and pertinent entity on the internet.

Everyone else is fluff.

Fluffandstuff?:yh_rotfl
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

If they are bad mouthing you then be flattered that you have such an effect on thier live's that they need to rubbish you to others.

Think of it as a community service . Whilst they are talking about you they are leaving somone else alone.:D
Odie

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1163947 wrote: Through years of gained wisdom and being presented with challenges only the worlds greatest minds have encountered Ive come to rely on myself as the only valid and pertinent entity on the internet.

Everyone else is fluff.

so I'm just fluff to you?

so there!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

fuzzywuzzy;1164010 wrote: Think of it as a community service . Whilst they are talking about you they are leaving somone else alone.:D

So there too

Attached files
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1164087 wrote: So there too

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

As my favorite comedian, Kat Williams, says.... (and I'm paraphrasing here..)

If you've got 20 people hating on you, you better get 20 more by the end of the day. We all need haters.

I'm not sure what his rationale was for needing haters, but at the time it made sense. And it was funny. And most things that are funny make sense. So I go with it.

Enjoy your haters. In the end, it's all one big joke, so laugh because they aren't getting it. :sneaky:
It is better to have your mind opened by wonder

than closed by belief.
VirtualStatesman

Post by VirtualStatesman »

:thinking:

Generally speaking, folk on the internet are not too serious. After all, it is a largely anonymous medium with ALMOST no repercussions for what is said.

But, in terms of listening to people... it all really depends on your relationship with that person. If you are friends with this person outside the forum, etc... then there is something to think about. If it is just some schlemiel that you know online... definite grain of salt.
[CENTER]The Virtual Statesman
Oscar Namechange

VirtualStatesman;1167543 wrote: :thinking:

Generally speaking, folk on the internet are not too serious. After all, it is a largely anonymous medium with ALMOST no repercussions for what is said.

But, in terms of listening to people... it all really depends on your relationship with that person. If you are friends with this person outside the forum, etc... then there is something to think about. If it is just some schlemiel that you know online... definite grain of salt.
I never believed that i would ever have an arguement with some-one of facebook. :(:(:(
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Only thing I'd add is to be very cautious about letting out personal details on the internet - especially names and addresses. No doubt some hackers could find you via your internet connection, but it does mean it is a lot less likely someone will be able to find you and carry out their threat.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”