Homes on Homes-New Orleans

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
Odie

Post by Odie »

anyone watch the first episode last night?

Last year, Mike Holmes and his entire crew went to New Orleans to build homes where Katrina devastated them.

I had of course seen the devastation years ago, but this showed more in depth, and the people who lost their homes were also shown and what they went through when no one arrived to help them......but I won't go there.:mad:

Brad Pitt is also there planning things, financing and helping out.

It also showed them celebrating July 4th and the fun that crew had with everyone.

Fabulous show, and I will continue to watch this.:guitarist

Thursdays at 8pm on HGTV.
Life is just to short for drama.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Apparently not available in the US. I googled around and found episode recaps, descriptions, blogs, but no video other than youtube. Usually shows like that are on hulu or something. TV.com said the show ended in '08.

I'm glad N.O. is getting the exposure. Brad Pitt and Sean Penn are a couple of guys who really put their money where their mouths are AND keep it from becoming a media stunt. Bravo to Holmes! :yh_clap.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Accountable;1173405 wrote: Apparently not available in the US. I googled around and found episode recaps, descriptions, blogs, but no video other than youtube. Usually shows like that are on hulu or something. TV.com said the show ended in '08.

I'm glad N.O. is getting the exposure. Brad Pitt and Sean Penn are a couple of guys who really put their money where their mouths are AND keep it from becoming a media stunt. Bravo to Holmes! :yh_clap.

I don't believe its not shown in the states! The show did end last year, and airing now. It's well overdue that N.O. is finally getting some attention as Mike and his crew were not aloud to go there until 3 years after Katrina!

The first home he built is for a lady and her 4 grandsons and it is free, the rest I guess people will have to purchase....Certainly the government would not pay for them.

and this is 3 years later......and the devastation is still there, untouched!:-5:-5

Mike is building them property of course, do it right as he always says, the lumber for the home was 'hammered' into the ground 15 feet below, and the homes will sit on top of structures.....so if a hurricane ever hits again, the water will not touch the homes........they will be there for a long time.

Now, are you close to the fires in Texas? Are any under control?
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

It has always amazed me how cities and town rebuild after a devastion. Chicago after the Fire, San Francisco after the Earthquake, etc. It does take time and alot of work, but folks do pitch in and do what needs to be done.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Odie

Post by Odie »

along-for-the-ride;1173421 wrote: It has always amazed me how cities and town rebuild after a devastion. Chicago after the Fire, San Francisco after the Earthquake, etc. It does take time and alot of work, but folks do pitch in and do what needs to be done.

true, but N.O. had no government help so everything still looks the same..3 years later.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I have watched "Extreme Make-Over--Home Edtion" with that Todd guy on it a few time. That's also a pretty amazing program. A home and yard make-over in one week. Alot of people, alot of materials, alot of teamwork.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Odie;1173416 wrote: Now, are you close to the fires in Texas? Are any under control?
Nah. That's north Texas & Oklahoma. We're almost on the Mexico border. We get spicy Mexican food, but that's as fiery as it gets. :wah:
Odie

Post by Odie »

Accountable;1173451 wrote: Nah. That's north Texas & Oklahoma. We're almost on the Mexico border. We get spicy Mexican food, but that's as fiery as it gets. :wah:

excellent, glad its not near you and watch that Mexican food eh?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Odie

Post by Odie »

along-for-the-ride;1173445 wrote: I have watched "Extreme Make-Over--Home Edtion" with that Todd guy on it a few time. That's also a pretty amazing program. A home and yard make-over in one week. Alot of people, alot of materials, alot of teamwork.

That is another great show, but a tearjerker for me.

Return to “General TV Shows”