Migranes and Hormones

Issues relating specifically to women's health.
minks

Migranes and Hormones

Post by minks »

Ok and menopause good lord I think I am dying....

I was to the doctors office last week because for the last year I have been having terrible headaches and the last one was the worst.

These last for 3 days come on over night so I usually wake up with them. They are on the right side of my head, and go through my sinus's, ear, gums, teeth, shoulder and part way down my back and right arm. Last one came along with nausea, something new for me. I have had enough... nothing OTC works so the next step was the Doc's office.

She perscribed me Tylenol 3 with codene for now, and Doc said she would research this because the real oddity of it is, they come within a week of aunt flow. (yeah there is the ladies health issue) So she discussed possible hormone treatment and a CT Scan. Today I got a call, I have to call the Doctors private line tomorrow to discuss the CT Scan.... I am a tad worried. But on the other hand want results.... Doc said the scan will start out as a precautionary thing then they will decide what to do next.

Ugh I am new to migranes, pre menapausal and this makes me cranky!!! Anyone else get these?? Or something similar or is ready to shoot themself due to premenapause???
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
abbey

Migranes and Hormones

Post by abbey »

HRT is a wonderful invention. ;)
CARLA

Migranes and Hormones

Post by CARLA »

Minks do you grind your teeth at night? TMJ has all these symptoms to the point of not being able to open your mouth. I have suffered with it since 1984 and wear a splint in my mouth at night. It stops all the symptoms immediately.

I have been through menapause and this isn't one of the things that happen. I'm glad your doctor is doing a CT scan. This could be vascular, or your sinuses and you need the CT scan as soon as possible.

Menapause cause night sweats, hot flashes, mood swings and just plain nastyness. :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl I suffered all of them on some days I could have killed everyone that I came in contact with. I couldn't have HRT as I have had breast biopsy's and they wouldn't give them to me.

[QUOTE]These last for 3 days come on over night so I usually wake up with them. They are on the right side of my head, and go through my sinus's, ear, gums, teeth, shoulder and part way down my back and right arm. Last one came along with nausea, something new for me. I have had enough... nothing OTC works so the next step was the Doc's office.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Odie

Migranes and Hormones

Post by Odie »

[QUOTE=minks;1207995]Ok and menopause good lord I think I am dying....

I was to the doctors office last week because for the last year I have been having terrible headaches and the last one was the worst.

These last for 3 days come on over night so I usually wake up with them. They are on the right side of my head, and go through my sinus's, ear, gums, teeth, shoulder and part way down my back and right arm. Last one came along with nausea, something new for me. I have had enough... nothing OTC works so the next step was the Doc's office.

She perscribed me Tylenol 3 with codene for now, and Doc said she would research this because the real oddity of it is, they come within a week of aunt flow. (yeah there is the ladies health issue) So she discussed possible hormone treatment and a CT Scan. Today I got a call, I have to call the Doctors private line tomorrow to discuss the CT Scan.... I am a tad worried. But on the other hand want results.... Doc said the scan will start out as a precautionary thing then they will decide what to do next.

shooting myself.........yes

cranky........yes

mood swings.......always.

sweats......all day long.

migraines.....no

but.......everyone has different symptoms though.

-as your hormones are way out wack....friend of mine had migraines.......scan was clear...

a cat scan is just a pre-cautionary in any migraine situation.

after 3 weeks of headaches my son had one......nothing was wrong....he had been through a lot of stress.

just some info, you can google more:

Get control over menopause headache!

Menopause headache can be a shock to those who have always heard that mid-life means a decrease in headaches. The truth is that in a large percentage of women, migraine may increase during menopause, or even reappear after many headache-free

years! The headaches may or may not go away after menopause is over.

But now that you've reached the determined confidence of mid-life, you've found this page in the hope that you can fight back! There's plenty of hope if you're looking for answers.

By the way, there are a few good sources of information on the topic, but one of the most complete discussions I've seen on menopause headache and specifically migraine is found in the book The Women's Migraine Survival Guide.

Why me?!

As you may guess, menopause headache and migraine is probably related to hormonal changes, and usually hits those who have been sensitive to those fluctuations in the past. Menopause headache will usually be less severe if you go through menopause naturally (which may be bad news if you've had a hysterectomy in hopes of ending migraine. Two thirds of women with migraines before have worse migraines after the surgery).

During perimenopause (the time leading up to menopause. Menopause technically is considered to begin after you've been without a period for over a year) is when the problem often begins. Hormonal levels become uncertain, and it may take a while to sort things out.

Treating menopause headache with hormone replacement therapy

The most common menopause-specific treatment has to do with HRT (hormonal replacement therapy), which is a replacement of estrogen, although many doctors believe that there is less risk and more benefits to replacing a certain amount of both estrogen and progestin.

There are many forms of HRT that you can look into. For the migraine sufferer, the ideal seems to be continuous estrogen therapy. Studies seem to show that your blood levels need to be kept above 50 picograms/millilitre (pg/ml).

Time to take note: As migraine sufferers know better than most, we're all unique (just like everybody else)! In some women, estrogen clearly causes migraine (ok, I know – no one really knows the cause, but you know what I mean!). Work with your doctor to find out what levels may work best for you. There are significant risks when it comes to HRT. If you have a uterus there is evidence it can cause precancerous lesions on the uterus. The risk of this is far lower if you're on a combined therapy of estrogen and progestin. There is also an increased risk of breast cancer. Have a complete discussion with your doctor of the risks to you, and make your own informed decision.

If you're having problems after you've started hormone therapy, don't give up! Here are some things that may improve the situation: Try reducing your dosage; Change the type of estrogen you're taking, or the way you're taking it; change to continuous therapy; try adding androgens (thanks to WebMD's article on headaches from April 2003 for these tips).

Drug treatments for menopause headache

If you already suffer from headaches or migraines, you may discover during perimenopause or menopause that your previous treatment no longer works. That's the bad news. But now that you know that, you should also know that there are other treatments that probably will work. Check out this summary of painkillers and preventative medications, then talk to your doctor.

Other treatment options

There are many other treatment options for migraine and other headache. The headache home remedies typically used by headache sufferers may be particularly helpful for menopause headache. Try something you haven't tried before! For a fun, clear, well-researched book on migraine, try Migraines For Dummies, written by two women – a health writer and a doctor.
Life is just to short for drama.
chonsigirl

Migranes and Hormones

Post by chonsigirl »

I had migraines, and take inderol for them. I do not have them hardly at all now, I think the change of life is over for me. (it never bothered me much if it did)

I'm glad your getting a CT scan, it will help the doctor know what to do for you.
librtyhead

Migranes and Hormones

Post by librtyhead »

Sorry wrong forum.....
minks

Migranes and Hormones

Post by minks »

Thanks Gals,

Carla I had wondered about the teeth grinding too, but what is the odd thing, why do the headaches match my "cycle" that is why the doctor is a tad confused. Well with luck todays phone call will be another step towards figuring this out.

Odie great info thanks a billion.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Odie

Migranes and Hormones

Post by Odie »

minks;1208256 wrote: Thanks Gals,

Carla I had wondered about the teeth grinding too, but what is the odd thing, why do the headaches match my "cycle" that is why the doctor is a tad confused. Well with luck todays phone call will be another step towards figuring this out.

Odie great info thanks a billion.

anytime Minks, god knows I know what your going through!:-5:-5:-5:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Odie

Migranes and Hormones

Post by Odie »

minks;1207995 wrote: Ok and menopause good lord I think I am dying....

Ugh I am new to migranes, pre menapausal and this makes me cranky!!! Anyone else get these?? Or something similar or is ready to shoot themself due to premenapause???

what were the results of your scan?

Return to “Women's Health”